Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

S.M. Stirling, the lovely author who wrote the lovely book I mentioned yesterday, also did an alternate-history series about fascist Afrikaners taking over the world, but his started with them fighting the Nazis to establish who the real master race was. (I haven't read it and don't plan to)

weird_that_it_happened_twice.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

S.M. Stirling, the lovely author who wrote the lovely book I mentioned yesterday, also did an alternate-history series about fascist Afrikaners taking over the world, but his started with them fighting the Nazis to establish who the real master race was. (I haven't read it and don't plan to)

lol that every racist fantasy is just "can you imagine if they did like a fraction of what we did? it makes me shudder just to think about it"

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

loquacius posted:

The Afrikaners lose in the Turtledove book because Robert E. Lee is woke and hates slavery so he ultimately turns on them. Though I think (??) Harry Turtledove is just really really stupid not super into what he writes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

He also has a top tier name

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Kevin Costner may as well be making a Harry Turtledove movie with all the reverence his new film seems to have for white settlers.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lol that every racist fantasy is just "can you imagine if they did like a fraction of what we did? it makes me shudder just to think about it"

Having just read the Wikipedia article on the setting (which has an impressively dumb name) it seems particularly lib-brained in that Stirling appears to recognize that the slaveowning fascists (the Draka) are the bad guys, but also seems to think their methods would, like, work, and makes them into actual supermen. Most of the main characters in his books appear to be Draka.

quote:

Due to a societal fixation on military training from infancy, Draka citizen soldiers are depicted as being the equal of several elite enemy soldiers in combat; they give no quarter in battle and all prefer death to capture. The rest of the army is filled out by slave troops, known as Janissaries, who are less well-equipped but still formidable. Having leveraged conquered natural resources to offer research grants and incentives, Draka technology is shown to progress more rapidly than technology in reality; their military equipment is several decades ahead of their opponents, and by later books in the series includes genetically modified animals, combat spacecraft, and advanced computer viruses.

An actually good series I've read with a slaveowning fascist society as its villain country takes the opposite view, in that its slave soldiers are the actually strong ones and the "Free Swords" are all poorly-trained illiterate failsons with expensive armor, and that makes a lot more sense to me in addition to seeming less cryptofascist

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thats just how the actual Janissaties were and the Mamluks in Egypt who were strong enough to just take the country over for themselves. that's how it usually works historically.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's also the one where he just does WWI and WWII but in America vs the CSA.

With CSA Hitler doing the Holocaust to black people.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Thats just how the actual Janissaties were and the Mamluks in Egypt who were strong enough to just take the country over for themselves. that's how it usually works historically.

yeah it's probably based on Spartan worship a la 300 (sorry Blood Boils)

I personally don't know how based in reality the popular perception of the Spartan citizen-soldier as an unstoppable juggernaut actually was (since they did in fact manage to defeat Athens in the Peloponnesian War) but in every other society with slave soldiers the real badasses were not the people benefiting from slave labor

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I'd like to see an alt history movie that uses the events of Django Unchained as the kind of spark that lights the powderkeg for the Civil War, and ends with John Wilkes Booth getting his dick blown off by Django

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

My conspiracy theory is that they made Three Body Problem bad, on purpose, to sow sinophobia.

D&D don't need conspiracies to make awful adaptations
they're idiots selling the product they want to consume

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I 100% believe that Nightcrawler and the Road House reboot occur in the same universe 10 years apart.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I read the WW2 alien invasion Turtledove books as a teen. I remember there was a lot of weird sex stuff in them

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

KirbyKhan posted:

My conspiracy theory is that they made Three Body Problem bad, on purpose, to sow sinophobia.

Is this why it was featured in Obama's book club?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

loquacius posted:

He used to post on a board I was part of, though I never came across him when he was actually online. The only books of his I ever read were the sequels to Terminator 2, which I quite enjoyed until the final book of the trilogy. Though I was also 17, so take that as you will.

Another alien invasion novel I recall liking was Niven’s Footfall. Alien genocidal elephants FTW.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

does the roadhouse reboot have throat rippings in it

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I 100% believe that Nightcrawler and the Road House reboot occur in the same universe 10 years apart.

nightcrawler ruined jake gyllenhaal for me. he was too good

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

nightcrawler ruined jake gyllenhaal for me. he was too good

https://i.imgur.com/nYIvoPQ.mp4

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

does the roadhouse reboot have throat rippings in it
No, but there’s plenty of other violence, including a guy getting fed to an alligator.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Urdnot Fire posted:

No, but there’s plenty of other violence, including a guy getting fed to an alligator.

What about monster trucks ruining Ford dealerships?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Urdnot Fire posted:

pass

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

He used to post on a board I was part of, though I never came across him when he was actually online. The only books of his I ever read were the sequels to Terminator 2, which I quite enjoyed until the final book of the trilogy. Though I was also 17, so take that as you will.

Another alien invasion novel I recall liking was Niven’s Footfall. Alien genocidal elephants FTW.

Kind of funny that he actually wrote official Terminator fiction considering that one of the Draka novels appears to be a ripoff of the general Terminator premise

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

indigi posted:

lol god this poo poo is so stupid

dark forest stories are always myopic and uninteresting cause the premise is so simple and childish. stories proposing interstellar civilizations that use wooden spaceships and do all their calculations via abacus offer more conceptually and philosophically interesting promise

I feel like people who sincerely argue "any advanced species would instantly destroy us on sight" are telling on themselves in much the same way that the occasional Christian who goes on and on about "if I weren't a Christian I would have absolutely no logical reason not to murder every last one of you" is.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

docbeard posted:

I feel like people who sincerely argue "any advanced species would instantly destroy us on sight" are telling on themselves in much the same way that the occasional Christian who goes on and on about "if I weren't a Christian I would have absolutely no logical reason not to murder every last one of you" is.

I mean, the premise of War of the Worlds was basically "Hey, what if somebody did to the British what they did to the rest of the world?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the aliens sent that probe into the solar system a few years ago and they didn't immediately destroy us

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

the elephants were literally retarded and i'm not being funny, niven and pournelle needed to thread the needle on them attacking us but us being able to win so they made them mentally challenged, they'd got all their tech from a precursor species

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I mean, the premise of War of the Worlds was basically "Hey, what if somebody did to the British what they did to the rest of the world?"

True. I think there's a difference between "there are hostile alien species out there" and "it is absolutely impossible that any alien species wouldn't be completely hostile" though.

I do actually want to read Three-Body Problem and the others (though hearing everyone describe it as having paper-thin characters isn't really pushing it up the ol' priority list for me. Then again, I enjoy Greg Egan's stuff so it would probably be fine). I guess I just prefer my sci-fi more aspirational and optimistic.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Cookie Cutter posted:

I read the WW2 alien invasion Turtledove books as a teen. I remember there was a lot of weird sex stuff in them

weirdly I don't remember any of the weird sex stuff but I do remember that those books are where I first learned about Otto Skorzeny.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
iirc it opens with a fash californian couple and the wife is expositing about how their based and trad marriage upsets all their pussy liberal friends

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As alien invasion stories go, I really liked Gordon Dickson's "Way of the Pilgrim" when I was younger, though I have no idea how/if it holds up. A guy working for the aliens who'd enslaved humanity invents a resistance movement out of whole cloth to impress a girl, and then ends up accidentally fomenting revolution against the aliens for real.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

the elephants were literally retarded and i'm not being funny, niven and pournelle needed to thread the needle on them attacking us but us being able to win so they made them mentally challenged, they'd got all their tech from a precursor species

lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wife and I watched the original Roadhouse last night. The throatrip rules. Honestly it's a pretty great movie.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
lucifer's hammer started out as niven and pournelle's alien invasion story but they pulled back from comets as a weapon to just natural disaster and revisited the idea with footfall. it's orange county fascism where the end of the world proves that flabby suburban white dudes are the master race even if they get all the "hard" science wrong in their own stories. there was a little genre boom of meteor/space rock disaster stories in the late 70s and the hermes fall by baxter is far superior to lucifer's hammer. shiva descending by benford sucks pretty bad, being bland sf and way too long. most of SF from the time has pretty embarrassing geopolitics

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Footfall would make an awesome mini series if adapted properly, the space elephants attack us and expect humans to submit to their herd but we just keep fighting and lobbing ICBMs at them and poo poo and they're horrified by this and think we're insane

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

CaptainRat posted:

weirdly I don't remember any of the weird sex stuff but I do remember that those books are where I first learned about Otto Skorzeny.

Same, I remember Skorzeny featuring very heavily and hadn't heard of him before, I think he spends most of his time as a plucky antihero, developing new ways to fight the aliens, but eventually becomes antagonistic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I thought it was about cool disco music and yelling ULLA!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Al! posted:

the aliens sent that probe into the solar system a few years ago and they didn't immediately destroy us

They were only interested in discovering intelligent life, OP.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

loquacius posted:

yeah it's probably based on Spartan worship a la 300 (sorry Blood Boils)

I personally don't know how based in reality the popular perception of the Spartan citizen-soldier as an unstoppable juggernaut actually was (since they did in fact manage to defeat Athens in the Peloponnesian War) but in every other society with slave soldiers the real badasses were not the people benefiting from slave labor

Spartans were like slightly better at fighting, though largely because of their reputation and secondly because they actually had military drill (since they had nothing better to do) but they did lose a fair amount and mostly beat the Athenians because the Athenians managed to gently caress up and piss off their allies even more than the Spartans did

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

John Ringo (another Baen bae) also did one called Von Neumann’s War about probes simply coming to Earth to grey goo us after doing it to most of the solar system. Kinda Revelation Space-esque with the Greenfly subplot.

There’s always the opposite to all the dark forest stuff in the novels Laumer did alongside the Bolo ones, the Retief series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MonsieurChoc posted:

I thought it was about cool disco music and yelling ULLA!