Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Battleship is a scathing indictment of humanity's warlike tendencies and the military industrial complex. The aliens are pacifists, never attack until attacked, and all their "weapons" are actually just tools with legitimate peaceful uses. It's an utterly baffling movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
which one is the one with a scene where they have to cut the alien out of themselves via the automated surgery table. that scene is loving sick

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

Battleship is a scathing indictment of humanity's warlike tendencies and the military industrial complex. The aliens are pacifists, never attack until attacked, and all their "weapons" are actually just tools with legitimate peaceful uses. It's an utterly baffling movie.

hey now I already know the kzinti lesson

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

LazyMaybe posted:

which one is the one with a scene where they have to cut the alien out of themselves via the automated surgery table. that scene is loving sick

Promutherfuckingetheus

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Endless Trash posted:

It’s extremely easy. And most, not all but most, anti-Prometheus tirades are exclusively focused on logic or plot inconsistencies and I freed myself of that mindset long ago

Its a solid defense for Ridley Scott, he stopped caring about plots and stories a long time ago.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Prometheus is a really weird movie, is like 2/3 of the way towards being an amazing sci-fi horror movie, but every time it builds towards something great, the script just dives off a cliff into pure nonsense. It’s still really disappointing to me, because all of the elements are there for greatness; initial setup, characters, themes, cinematography, effects, direction etc…

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
prometheus shows you the danger of drinking strange cum

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

colonelwest posted:

Prometheus is a really weird movie, is like 2/3 of the way towards being an amazing sci-fi horror movie, but every time it builds towards something great, the script just dives off a cliff into pure nonsense. It’s still really disappointing to me, because all of the elements are there for greatness; initial setup, characters, themes, cinematography, effects, direction etc…
My thing with Prometheus is that it is a beautiful film to watch and there are some very very good performances. It is awful as an Alien / Aliens franchise film and just as a stand alone sci-fi horror movie it is also not that great because the story that they put those amazing visuals and high quality performances in is just so terribly stupid.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
sci fi idea: some overweight mid 40's dude (i'd say philip seymour hoffman if he was still alive or jesse plemons if he was still fat) investigates why every modern sci-fi show like 3 body problem, constellation, for all mankind, etc, looks and sounds exactly the same and makes a terrible discovery. maybe that he's actually philip k dick having nightmarish hallucinations as he's dying, i dunno i haven't got that far yet

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I like prometheus but most criticism of it is 100% valid. The weird thing is there's a couple of deleted scenes which would of improved the movie and they're only 2-3 minutes each max so it's bizarre they were cut. Just for example there's a scene where they discover the worm much earlier, hence why they aren't bothered by finding it later, and a cool scene where the engineer hunts Shaw. The worst cut is the engineer talking to David as it's sorta important plot stuff.

There's no excuse for Alien covenant though! that was just poo poo.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

colonelwest posted:

the script is dogshit. it was written by damon lindelof and jon spaihts who are both involved in a lot of crap. the former wrote much of lost, cowboys and aliens, tomorrowland, star trek and star trek into darkness. the latter wrote doctor strange, passengers, the mummy 2017, and... dune??!?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

colonelwest posted:

I think you can make a great movie out of it if you edit out all the dumb rear end poo poo, reduce the flashback portion to keep the mystery; change some names to distance itself from the main alien-verse; maybe rescore it a bit to let the music sell a bizarre haunting overworld.

Of course the people who own it won't allow this but there are alot of parts of a great movie. People put too much blame on Damon Lindelof but it's still a Ridley Scott movie.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

LanceHunter posted:

I missed a few pages in this thread, so maybe this got covered, but apparently there is going to be a high-budget remake of Emmanuel, with freakin' Noémie Merlant in the lead role (oh and with Naomi Watts for good measure).

It’s gonna be good. You can thank Poor Things sweeping the Oscars for this actually suddenly getting legs. When all is said and done, at the end of the day, people are basically horny

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

kalel posted:

the script is dogshit. it was written by damon lindelof and jon spaihts who are both involved in a lot of crap. the former wrote much of lost, cowboys and aliens, tomorrowland, star trek and star trek into darkness. the latter wrote doctor strange, passengers, the mummy 2017, and... dune??!?

if I ever enjoyed anything by damon lindelof I would go to the doctor immediately

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if I ever enjoyed anything by damon lindelof I would go to the doctor immediately

Watchmen was good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

billymumphrey posted:

Watchmen was good

I don't think a person can misunderstand a work they were adapting/continuing worse than he had.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

billymumphrey posted:

Watchmen was good

*rustles your hair* that's great, kiddo!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

billymumphrey posted:

Watchmen was good

Leonard Cohen intensifies.

gently caress me if I don't hate the way Snyder uses licensed music in his films.

just a lil ruckus
May 12, 2023
i thought three body problem was alright but i was just remembering the other two better books lol. the only thing i recall from the first book is lengthy dreary text interspersed with neato vr planet fuckery which ruled and somehow making a ship sliced into ribbons with nano wire a slog to read. i literally can't remember a single characters name besides ye wenjie.

oh and theres a three body problem adaptation in minecraft on youtube that has no reason to be as good as it is. (the first seasons are v rough though)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Leonard Cohen intensifies.

gently caress me if I don't hate the way Snyder uses licensed music in his films.

oh, honey, they weren't talking about the movie

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Five body problem

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wound up seeing Alien: Covenant long before Prometheus, and came out of Prometheus mostly wishing it had a better sequel.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I watched Prometheus on a plane and still felt like I’d wasted my time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

Five body problem

It's mathematically impossible to predict how the orgy is going to go

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Digitally replaced with Tig Notaro for Chinese release

Here's the big pitch. Person gets a brain injury and starts seeing everyone else on planet earth as Tig Notaro. Suddenly the world is a lot funnier, but also everyone is so droll and sardonic that they can't tell if they're being judged as inferior during all interactions with the outside world, causing their life to collapse. Eventually homeless and living on the streets, far away from the densest populations of Tig/humans, they discover an underground movement of people who have the same brain injury and also don't look like Tig Notaro. It's explained that Tig Notaro is actually an invasive alien species that has been replacing humanity for decades and can only be seen for what they are when the part of your brain that their aggressive mimicry works upon is damaged. Anyways, antics occur, and the film ends with them attempting to blow up the Tig mothership hive; they fail after the Tigs guarding the vessel cooly dismantle their sense of self-worth through cutting wordplay and they kill themselves. Real 70s movie bummer ending, except there's lots of Tig Notaros, so it's also kind of uplifting?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

Here's the big pitch. Person gets a brain injury and starts seeing everyone else on planet earth as Tig Notaro. Suddenly the world is a lot funnier, but also everyone is so droll and sardonic that they can't tell if they're being judged as inferior during all interactions with the outside world, causing their life to collapse. Eventually homeless and living on the streets, far away from the densest populations of Tig/humans, they discover an underground movement of people who have the same brain injury and also don't look like Tig Notaro. It's explained that Tig Notaro is actually an invasive alien species that has been replacing humanity for decades and can only be seen for what they are when the part of your brain that their aggressive mimicry works upon is damaged. Anyways, antics occur, and the film ends with them attempting to blow up the Tig mothership hive; they fail after the Tigs guarding the vessel cooly dismantle their sense of self-worth through cutting wordplay and they kill themselves. Real 70s movie bummer ending, except there's lots of Tig Notaros, so it's also kind of uplifting?

Give it the "Parts: The Clonus Horror" ending where they blow up the mothership and are seemingly successful but then the love interest turns into Tig Notaro in the last shot.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

PostNouveau posted:

Give it the "Parts: The Clonus Horror" ending where they blow up the mothership and are seemingly successful but then the love interest turns into Tig Notaro in the last shot.

Maybe the Tigs are changing the genes of select homeless "herds" to make their organs acceptable for transplant and if they allow the change to go on too long before harvest the subject becomes a crazed half Tig, half human mutant? It would make for great body horror/action scenes, where a rando or even one of the freedom fighters suddenly and goopily morphs into an 8-foot-tall shoggoth style killing machine with Tig Notaros' face swimming around on the undulating column of meat. Also creates a great tagline opportunity:

"There's a little Tig in all of us... pray it never gets out!"

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

just a lil ruckus posted:

i thought three body problem was alright but i was just remembering the other two better books lol. the only thing i recall from the first book is lengthy dreary text interspersed with neato vr planet fuckery which ruled and somehow making a ship sliced into ribbons with nano wire a slog to read. i literally can't remember a single characters name besides ye wenjie.

oh and theres a three body problem adaptation in minecraft on youtube that has no reason to be as good as it is. (the first seasons are v rough though)

Three Body Problem was so bad that I refused to even touch the follow-ups and I'm baffled why it got the acclaim it does. I don't remember any other story pulling such a deus ex machina at the end of such a caliber, either.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

poisonpill posted:

It’s gonna be good. You can thank Poor Things sweeping the Oscars for this actually suddenly getting legs. When all is said and done, at the end of the day, people are basically horny

Maybe we'll see a revival of the Bikini Carwash Company franchise as well!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aeble posted:

Three Body Problem was so bad that I refused to even touch the follow-ups and I'm baffled why it got the acclaim it does. I don't remember any other story pulling such a deus ex machina at the end of such a caliber, either.

I felt like I got pranked when I got to the last act of the book especially the reveal of the aliens. This won the Hugo and became the obsession of one of the few sci-fi novel youtubers? It's structured terribly too which is not the translator's fault but true to the original.

Even some of the ideas that are cool in the later books are goofy in execution. The concept that the universe had more dimensions but loses them via galactic warfare was interesting but then it's shown happening to our solar system and it's a ship dropping off a device that looks like a piece of paper. I'd envisioned some aliens being so godly powerful and with technology so impossible to comprehend they could crunsh a solar system across the expanse of space. Dropping off the equivalent of a silly bomb doesn't do it for me.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 27, 2024

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

I felt like I got pranked when I got to the last act of the book especially the reveal of the aliens. This won the Hugo and became the obsession of one of the few sci-fi novel youtubers?

it's truly unthinkable

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

oh, honey, they weren't talking about the movie

even worse!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe there aren't many good scifi books lately.

Winning a Hugo award doesn't mean anything to me. I pretty much written off all scifi awards after I read Ancillary Justice.

As a genre, China doesn't produce alot of scifi novels for political reason. There are tons more Isekai and "travel back to ancient China" type online novels because they are infinitely safer. The author of 3 body is one of the few writers who took on scifi as a profession and he is considered the best by the Chinese. So if you want to give an award to China, 3 body is one of the very few options.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 27, 2024

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

colin..... are you there.....?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't think a person can misunderstand a work they were adapting/continuing worse than he had.

Lindelof didn't misunderstand anything. The Watchmen series was great, particularly because it poked holes in a lot of the boomer bullshit that Moore put into the original comics (that nobody had previously dared to criticize because it was considered such a classic). Taking a second to think "hrm...I wonder what the actual effect on the culture would be and how Vietnamese people would react if the US had annexed Vietnam as the 51st state" is already doing more than Moore did. Hell, considering what any non-white person might be thinking or doing in the world of Watchmen is more than Alan Moore ever took a second to consider.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

Lindelof didn't misunderstand anything. The Watchmen series was great, particularly because it poked holes in a lot of the boomer bullshit that Moore put into the original comics (that nobody had previously dared to criticize because it was considered such a classic). Taking a second to think "hrm...I wonder what the actual effect on the culture would be and how Vietnamese people would react if the US had annexed Vietnam as the 51st state" is already doing more than Moore did. Hell, considering what any non-white person might be thinking or doing in the world of Watchmen is more than Alan Moore ever took a second to consider.

I'm sorry you liked the bad show run by a middling writer but what I said was correct.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
alien covenant had one of the funniest scenes in cinema history. like it was only a couple notches down from the ace ventura rhino for me.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
debates over prometheus always boil down to
"it was bad"
vs
"ridley scott made it bad on purpose, as a joke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I have a confession. I have no idea who Tig Notaro is.