Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
mozeliak looks like a loving fool again. fanbase will never revolt, so gonna enjoy the protracted stay in mediocrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cardinals have had like one bad season in 30 years lmao

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Crazy Ted posted:

Thanks. It's been...frustrating. I'll try to make a REALLY long story short:

Glad you're doing better.

My youngest was also born in October of 2020. He ended up being diagnosed with infantile spasms/epilepsy. Luckily we haven't seen any issues with him in over two years. My wife developed some level of autoimmune condition (and recently, a double carotid dissection) and I got type 2 diabetes.

And the Cubs have been such dog poo poo overall I haven't watched a game in almost all that time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

live with fruit posted:

The Dbacks are looking good.

I can't wait for them to win the division after the scandal-embroiled Dodgers fall apart and the Padres somehow post a record setting pythag under-performance.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was unaware that Sarah Langs is in this year's edition of MLB: The Show so that was a fun surprise when I fired up a new RTTS career I will abandon after maybe one season.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Poque posted:

We as a society need to move past these disgusting messy milkshakes with poo poo on the outside of the glass.

That's chocolate.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gonna have to find out what stand that milkshake is at and sit near it when the Twins are in town.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Twins ownership cut payroll by $30 million, or in other words, one Jordan Montgomery. gently caress them.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Woke up to the news that those poor teams can't outbid those big market DBacks for a lefty. Many such cases :smuggo:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah it's almost like there's an agreement among the owners not to offer Boras clients anything but 1+1 years at $25-30M

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

rickiep00h posted:

Gonna have to find out what stand that milkshake is at and sit near it when the Twins are in town.

That's all part of Reinsdorf's plan to get people into the park without paying players

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it's almost like there's an agreement among the owners not to offer Boras clients anything but 1+1 years at $25-30M

Oh, did you not hear about our FRANCHISE RECORD salary for 2024? It's only $50 million below the it's totally not a salary cap. Watch out everybody the small market teams are BACK

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

There has to be some bullshit like that going on. There is no way five good to excellent players all got dick.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

It's definitely to some end collusion to adhere to the first level of tax as a salary cap, and it's undeserved angst about player salaries ballooning. Boras also overplayed his hand and as a result his clients lost money. The MLB GMs are likely trying to weaken his influence by loving over his clients.

On the other hand, it means the Diamondbacks have a real rotation

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Captain Log posted:

There has to be some bullshit like that going on. There is no way five good to excellent players all got dick.

I think it was just the penalties they put on themselves for the luxury tax as a way to enforce a silent collusion.
They also incentivized teams to go ahead and promote young players instead of continuing to take chances on vets who are, in the short term, always more expensive. Owners are very much all about the short term.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Considering pitchers are blowing out their arms every other year, I think it's loving insane Snell and Monty couldn't have found better deals. Baseball owners have proven themselves to be pieces of poo poo at nearly every turn, and baseball being exempt from antitrust laws since 1922 gives them all they need to be assholes. I don't think for a second there isn't some bullshit going on.

If you take out the Dodger's spending from this offseason, nobody ponied up any cash at all.

We talk about young players getting some shine through all of this, then have the Orioles send down Holliday and Kjerstad for "reasons."

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Don't know if it's specifically to gently caress with Boras but it's very clear that baseball's ownership has come to a decision -- as a group -- that labor costs need to go down.

Hopefully some idiot put it down on paper.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Considering pitchers are blowing out their arms every other year, I think it's loving insane Snell and Monty couldn't have found better deals. Baseball owners have proven themselves to be pieces of poo poo at nearly every turn, and baseball being exempt from antitrust laws since 1922 gives them all they need to be assholes. I don't think for a second there isn't some bullshit going on.

If you take out the Dodger's spending from this offseason, nobody ponied up any cash at all.

We talk about young players getting some shine through all of this, then have the Orioles send down Holliday and Kjerstad for "reasons."

The Orioles are in the middle of a sale so a remotely aggressive decision on rookie service time is not going to happen. They're cheap as gently caress but they're trying to sell the team and there's more flexibility for the next owner if there's 0 service time on the top prospects. They're also embarrassingly cheap, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why would the Rangers need to sign somebody like Montgomery when they have uh... oh

https://x.com/JonHeyman/status/1772678404808061100?s=20

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Don't know if it's specifically to gently caress with Boras but it's very clear that baseball's ownership has come to a decision -- as a group -- that labor costs need to go down.

Boras will find the proof eventually. He's smarter than the owners are.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I think we can say Boras, and agents like him, have helped cause this but it's also not like they did anything to harm the game. At the end of the day, the game has been harmed because owners are now applying fintech bro thinking to the game and it's going to be bad for the game, in the long run.
Literally every industry I can think of has decided that the only way left to inflate profits is by demanding less workers do more work for less money.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The O’s incoming owner gave an interview and said he would “follow the recommendations of his GM”.

Could be an empty nothing statement, could mean he will do what Elias wants. And I hope Elias wants to spend some more money than he’s had recently.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Captain Log posted:

I mean Cowser made the team, which is encouraging. Kjerstad is pretty raw and Holliday may need some time defensively. I don’t think the Orioles are doing anything out of bounds here. Would’ve liked to see them give Holliday the Chourio deal like I said before but I guess the sale of the team is still making things difficult.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

AndrewP posted:

The O’s incoming owner gave an interview and said he would “follow the recommendations of his GM”.

"Within the constraints of the budget I give him" is unspoken but understood

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
One good thing this season is that the Yankees don't have that loving moronic day off after opening day OR the home opener.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'd like to see Kjerstad and Stowers on the team, but sending them to Norfolk gets regular starts so I kind of understand it. Then you have Coby Mayo to figure in too. There's just a logjam of players at basically every position between the "old" guard of guys who still have one or two arb years left and the legit new crop of rookies.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Here's something to consider the day before Opening Day: The Chicago Cubs

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AndrewP posted:

I'd like to see Kjerstad and Stowers on the team, but sending them to Norfolk gets regular starts so I kind of understand it. Then you have Coby Mayo to figure in too. There's just a logjam of players at basically every position between the "old" guard of guys who still have one or two arb years left and the legit new crop of rookies.

Kjerstad is one of those "old for his age" rookies who lost a ton of development time around the COVID season, I think it's pretty defensible for him to be starting the year in AAA.

But yeah, the O's have top prospects being blocked by other top prospects at most positions and the fact they haven't traded for every available SP is wild to me.

R.D. Mangles posted:

#ThatsCube

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

R.D. Mangles posted:

I already cleared my calendar

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I really hardly ever consider that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Oh? The Bears have a farm team?

Are there other cities that have some kind of theme about their sports teams across leagues or just the Windy Apple?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Made sure to set myself to wfh tomorrow so I can watch afternoon opening day baseball :toot:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

But yeah, the O's have top prospects being blocked by other top prospects at most positions and the fact they haven't traded for every available SP is wild to me.

I wonder if Westburg gets traded for pitching at some point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

Are there other cities that have some kind of theme about their sports teams across leagues or just the Windy Apple?

The Jets and the Mets

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

The Jets and the Mets

Oh right, the Jets, Mets, Nets, and Wets.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

Do they still call the Tennessee Volunteers' women's teams the "Lady Vols"?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

Lot of blue/orange in NY (Mets, Knicks, Islanders) and black/gold in Pitt, if that counts as a theme

zoux posted:

Chicago has other teams besides the Bears and Cubs as well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

The Jets and the Mets

The Giants are just as much of a dogshit joke as the Jets are.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

that's not the connection I was making there lol

mcmagic posted:

The Giants are just as much of a dogshit joke as the Jets are.

not this either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Poque posted:

Lot of blue/orange in NY (Mets, Knicks, Islanders) and black/gold in Pitt, if that counts as a theme

Chicago has other teams besides the Bears and Cubs as well

And every other team strays further from God's light with each day