Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Cool. What sci fi show was OMWF from because I have no idea what y'al are referring to.

Buffy, Once More With Feeling. It's like the ur-example of the musical episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't the Xena one earlier?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

No Dignity posted:

Buffy, Once More With Feeling. It's like the ur-example of the musical episode

Ah ok, I never watched that series.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't the Xena one earlier?

I'm sure there was a musical episode in some TV show at some point prior, but that's the one that made everyone sit up and notice and is what everything else gets compared to now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How soon we forget Cop Rock

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Dignity posted:

I'm sure there was a musical episode in some TV show at some point prior, but that's the one that made everyone sit up and notice and is what everything else gets compared to now

Bizarrely, Lexx did it before Buffy. Brigadoom!

I’m sure it wasn’t THE first musical episode tho, that seems like it would be an old time tv fixture

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think I Love Lucy and Gilligan's Island did it, but I think those were mostly plays-within-plays? Can't recall my Nick at Nite well enough.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Gaz-L posted:

How soon we forget Cop Rock

I still vaguely remember the song where the guy complains that he should be allowed to buy cocaine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There's just no catchy songs in the SNW one, I didn't go away from it remembering any of it.
I get what they wanted to do but it didn't work at all for me

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The SNW musical songs are better than anything from Disney in decades. I just wish the entire episode was more clever about it how and why the singing happens.

Once More With Feeling isn’t that good. It’s fine, but it’s not great. Buffy in general is really bland and only good when it’s kept in my memory and not revisited.

Someone else said it, but the Scrubs musical is better. Another show that isn’t particularly easy to watch these days, but this episode is much more enjoyable to rewatch.

Also, everyone is sleeping on The Gang Turns Black for best tv show musical.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Taear posted:

There's just no catchy songs in the SNW one, I didn't go away from it remembering any of it.
I get what they wanted to do but it didn't work at all for me

I felt the same way, there was no showstopper or single. I am the X comes close, but mostly due to its word play and lyrics. There wasn't an earworm . I loved it, mind you, but it wasn't like any song was stuck in my head the next day like with other musicals.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

skasion posted:

Bizarrely, Lexx did it before Buffy. Brigadoom!

I’m sure it wasn’t THE first musical episode tho, that seems like it would be an old time tv fixture

I'm surprised Farscape never got around to doing one, frankly

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Super Deuce posted:

The SNW musical songs are better than anything from Disney in decades. I just wish the entire episode was more clever about it how and why the singing happens.

Man this is just straight up opposite of reality stuff. I know it's subjective to a degree but come on

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I'm surprised Farscape never got around to doing one, frankly

That would be a perfect setting for one. Weirder poo poo happens.

I'd probably enjoy a Stargate musical episode where some Ancient entertainment device turns daily life into a musical revue.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Taear posted:

Man this is just straight up opposite of reality stuff. I know it's subjective to a degree but come on

Prove it because I have only heard 2 new Disney songs in that timeframe, Let it Go and Awkwafina's Little Mermaid song. The former I remember being annoyed by at some point and the latter is just another hilariously bad Hamilton song.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Have we all forgotten Trek’s own The Way to Eden?

Actually, we probably all wish we could forget it…

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS also had Uhura’s odd little number about how sinisterly sexy Spock is in one of the early eps. and of course “Bitter Dregs”

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Herberts.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Taear posted:

Have you watched a Disney movie in the last 25 years? They're not good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I liked Moana :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Moana had good music, Encanto as well. Disenchanted was fun but not as good as the first. Disney is not doing altogether great on musicals at the moment but still have a few gems in the last decade.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Taear posted:

Ah a Lin Manuel Miranda fan

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

apatheticman posted:

Ah a Lin Manuel Miranda fan

I really hate him. Like, his work. It just isn't for me. I also don't know how much I additionally hate him because of his work on Curb Your Enthusiasm and House.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Super Deuce posted:

I really hate him. Like, his work. It just isn't for me. I also don't know how much I additionally hate him because of his work on Curb Your Enthusiasm and House.

Have you seen him in Brooklyn 99? He is actually perfect for the role he plays.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

swickles posted:

Have you seen him in Brooklyn 99? He is actually perfect for the role he plays.

Also weirdly tolerable and perfectly suited to his role on DuckTales too. He's good when he's playing massive dorks and not trying to seem cool.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Super Deuce posted:

You'd probably love his guest starring role on House, then. Every time he's on screen, Laurie just chops him off at the knees.

Advanced to the relevant part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRFRskK7CM&t=110s

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Actually the best Disney musical in the last couple years is the Bob's Burgers movie

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Both Frozens were pretty good.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big biiiiiig Variety article about the current state of things:

The Future of ‘Star Trek’: From ‘Starfleet Academy’ to New Movies and Michelle Yeoh, How the 58-Year-Old Franchise Is Planning for the Next Generation of Fans

Seems pretty positive overall, I guess that tease about a young Rachel Garrett tells us when the Section 31 movie takes place lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh so it's set in the loving Lost Era

Kacey Rohl is great though, loved her in Hannibal

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm very uncomfortable about the Discovery designers tackling the Lost Era and all the TOS Movie derived ship designs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 27, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Current Star Trek era bumblefucks doing anything with the Enterprise C and making more section 31 poo poo is my worst nightmare. Couldn't read the article out of self preservation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

From the sounds of it it'll be a few decades before the Enterprise-C era, given that Garrett is young. I'm guessing around the 2310s.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

From the sounds of it it'll be well before the Enterprise-C era, given that Garrett is young. I'm guessing around the 2310s.

I mean the time period in general, but small mercies i guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, it means they'll be loving up updating Connie Refit and Excelsior class derived art deco era designs instead of Ambassador Class style designs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 27, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It should all take place in the Nexus

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

Well, it means they'll be loving up Connie Refit and Excelsior class derived art deco era designs instead of Ambassador Class style designs.

Nothing could be worse than the design of the Constitution in JJ's films, particularly the A. Thing was gently caress ugly and they gave it one of those crusty-eyed dog underbites for some reason.

I'm not jazzed about Strange New Worlds, but their enterprise looks fine.

Honestly I don't even care if they change the design. The more the better really, then I won't have to move my C model from the office out of some feeling of guilt by association.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

Nothing could be worse than the design of the Constitution in JJ's films, particularly the A. Thing was gently caress ugly and they gave it one of those crusty-eyed dog underbites for some reason.

I'm not jazzed about Strange New Worlds, but their enterprise looks fine.

Honestly I don't even care if they change the design. The more the better really, then I won't have to move my C model from the office out of some feeling of guilt by association.

This is their chance to do something insanely funny and canonize the original Probert C concept as the new Enterprise-C.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe they'll be fine but I really can't help but expect that even if they retain most of the movie era designs they're going to do the raw gunmetal finish they love so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

nine-gear crow posted:

This is their chance to do something insanely funny and canonize the original Probert C concept as the new Enterprise-C.

Lol, go for it. They can have that turgid fish.