Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hwurmp posted:

Cutting Edge has some nice early unlocks like the Sickle and stun grenades.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

None of the warbonds expire, so it's down to what you want to get first.

The basic warbond has some good stuff sprinkled throughout, and the Scorcher I was posting about previously is at the end of it.

Steeled Veterans has good medium and heavy armour for throwing further. It has the very fun but flawed revolver, and the incendiary grenades. I'd say those are its main gameplay draws.

Cutting Edge has the Sickle laser carbine, which is an actually good gun. The Localisation Booster which increases time between bug breaches/dropship flares. And the stun grenades which, in my opinion take Hulks, Chargers, and Bile Titans from potentially quite scary to entirely manageable.

We're just about two weeks from another warbond becoming available as I understand it, so you may want to hold off to see what that is while working on the basic one. Really comes down to what seems fun to you right now I guess.

I disagree that you have to take the shield pack, I've done fine without one. That said I do agree that it would be a synergistic improvement. Just not a vital one.

Thank you both!
I'm only level 15 and play pretty casually with friends. Generally difficulty 4 or 5.
But I do like the Scythe. Is the Sickle a better version of it?
Also I might just start saving after I buy the stamina booster because I'm just having fun. I just unlocked the arc thrower which I enjoy when I find it on the map. Thanks for the tips on using it ya'll!

Another question, do we think the devs will add new strategems and ship upgrades?
Either way I love spreading democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The thing about medals is you hit the 250 cap really fast so you do have to spend it on some stuff you don’t want.

Behold my capes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

RC Cola posted:

Thank you both!
I'm only level 15 and play pretty casually with friends. Generally difficulty 4 or 5.
Also I might just start saving after I buy the stamina booster because I'm just having fun. I just unlocked the arc thrower which I enjoy when I find it on the map. Thanks for the tips on using it ya'll!

Another question, do we think the devs will add new strategems and ship upgrades?
Either way I love spreading democracy.

The Sickle is a better than the Scythe for pure DPS. It isn't a persistent beam however, it fires pulsed beams, functionally like the assault rifle. With a slight delay after you click before it fires, but the same heatsink mechanic as the Scythe. It makes it good against bug swarms, and also useful for suppressing fire against bots.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The JAR5 Dominator is super fun, why didn't I unlock this earlier

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 27, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Sickle is probably the best primary (I almost exclusively use the Liberator though)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

jokes posted:

The Sickle is probably the best primary (I almost exclusively use the Liberator though)

The default liberator?

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Mesadoram posted:

The default liberator?

The liberator of mu heart

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah man, it is The Way and The Truth. It is the gun by which all guns are judged. The Sickle is better in some ways but less reliable (it has to wind up before it charges unlike the liberator)

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

The default liberator?

Thanks to the breaker nerf and 80%+ of the warbond weapons being trash the default liberator that you get just for existing is in fact a very good gun and competitive with the few other good choices for primary.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Primary guns worth using:

Liberator
Punisher
Slugger
Breaker
Sickle

End of list

It's really sad that there's not much of a reason to use the others. The Lib Penetrator should really be more useful against armored dudes but it's not, things like that. A balance pass would be great, where they don't touch the guns listed above (though maybe a very slight nerf to the Sickle) would be good.

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 27, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I like the disciple.

counter sniper is dire and needs a massive turn speed buff so it isn’t literally slower to turn than an autocannon

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah I'm a big fan of the DMR vs bots. Some people also swear by the Scorcher, and my friend LOVES the plasma Punisher

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

RC Cola posted:

The Scythe is one of the worst guns in the game and the Sickle is one of the best, imo

RC Cola posted:

Also I might just start saving after I buy the stamina booster because I'm just having fun. I just unlocked the arc thrower which I enjoy when I find it on the map.
Note there are resource caps, 50,000 for requisition and 250 for medals, so make sure you spend before you max out.

RC Cola posted:

Yep, all this is confirmed though we don't really know when. There are loads of new stratagems in the pipe and at least another full set of ship upgrades still to come.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

jokes posted:

Liberator
Punisher
Slugger
Breaker
Sickle

End of list

It's really sad that there's not much of a reason to use the others. The Lib Penetrator should really be more useful against armored dudes but it's not, things like that. A balance pass would be great, where they don't touch the guns listed above (though maybe a very slight nerf to the Sickle) would be good.

jokes posted:

Yeah man, it is The Way and The Truth. It is the gun by which all guns are judged. The Sickle is better in some ways but less reliable (it has to wind up before it charges unlike the liberator)

Didn't realize it was such a great work horse, guess that's another one I need to give another go later :unsmith:.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
FIghting on Utstotu for this newest major order is the first time I've felt like bots are bullshit. The lower visibility on that planet doesn't seem to affect the bots at all. Love to get sniped by rocket devastators who I can't even loving see through the dust.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

johnny park posted:

Yeah I'm a big fan of the DMR vs bots. Some people also swear by the Scorcher, and my friend LOVES the plasma Punisher

I'd actually like some more short-medium range support weapon options, I have no idea what yet, maybe a melee weapon?

Just give me something to compliment having a "reach out and touch something" DMR or marksman,

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

JBP posted:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Malevelon Creek hell campaign where super earth ends up nuking the entire planet or something.

Surely they will extract all helldivers before nuking it as well.

Also, the Scorcher is amazing against the bots.

You can explode cannon towers, tanks, hulks all by just shooting them in their weakspot with a single clip or less. That is pretty good milage out of a primary for some heavy lifting work.

One shots everything else in the head.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 27, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Amazing Member posted:

I'd actually like some more short-medium range support weapon options, I have no idea what yet, maybe a melee weapon?

Just give me something to compliment having a "reach out and touch something" DMR or marksman,

The Super Earth flag as a bludgeon

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ustotu is maybe my favourite planet to fight on, at least visually. It's got such a good combination of oppressive sandstorms with terrible visibility that suddenly opens up into beautiful Arrakeen vistas where you can see for miles. The tracks in the sand, the gorgeous teal skies. S'lovely.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

jokes posted:

Liberator
Punisher
Slugger
Breaker
Sickle

End of list

Whats wrong with the defender and the scorcher?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Also the liberator being a good primary to use fits right in with their philosophy for the guns being sidegrades instead of upgrades.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Wait you can make snowballs??

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

All the primaries are usable.

Except the Sycthe.

Change my mind.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Every time I switch away from the liberator I end up going back, the punisher is maybe the only competition for me on bug maps.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Dyz posted:

Whats wrong with the defender
Not a single god damned thing. It's my default primary.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Lumpy posted:

Are there mission types with lower enemy density, and are there density differences between 7 and 9? I watched a couple "stealth solo" videos on 9, and thought I'd try it a bit because it seems fun. Hopped into a 7, and after popping the first bugs at the main objective, was instantly swarmed from three directions when I know there were no patrols going by (or my map was lying!) while using the "decrease time between encounters" perk. Tried with bots after that and got the same thing. Sniped two bots on mounted guns and within 20 seconds had three bot drops with tanks and all sorts of stuff right on top of me. Could be luck of the draw and those zany YouTubers don't post the 83 failed runs before the good one I guess, but was wondering if there was a way to influence it.

This is also what happens to me vs bots. It’s going well, I take out a garrison at a minor POI so I have a safe retreat path for attacking the objective, then I go to the main objective and it’s a double bot drop with rocket devastators and Hulks, try to retreat and there’s two patrols collapsing on me. Cool, cool. That isn’t what happened to the youtube guys at all.

I believe the correct play when that happens is to run/hellpod as far away from all that mess as possible and just go do another objective that isn’t swarmed. The mass of enemies that came from the bot drops and patrols will eventually despawn, making it possible to return to the original objective. You can also lead enemies off by doing stuff like throwing grenades so they go investigate the noise.

My understanding of localization confusion is it increases the time between bot drops/bug breeches, it does not reduce the patrols encountered.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

BadLlama posted:

All the primaries are usable.

Except the Sycthe.

Change my mind.

Rover uses the Scythe. :v:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Aipsh posted:

Wait you can make snowballs??

Yep, though you are going to have to wait for a snow planet to be available on the war map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ik6yIhR9M

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dyz posted:

Whats wrong with the defender and the scorcher?

The reasons to bring the defender specifically are already met by bringing the peacemaker (gatting with one hand), and otherwise the liberator does everything better. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination but it's definitely a side-grade from the liberator, but there's just not much of a reason to not bring the liberator since they're both automatic, etc. Scorcher gets like 2 shots before it's out of ammo it's dry as h*ck

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I only recently started using the scorcher but I think it's my new favourite, it's fantastic for bots as it has a higher ROF than the slugger so you can quickly deal with groups of smaller enemies while also dealing with scout striders in 2 hits from pretty much any angle. It's pretty decent against bugs as well too, I haven't had many instances of splash damage and it's pretty good for just indiscriminately blapping at groups of hiveguards and brood commanders. I suspect the reason it doesn't get talked about that much is the high medal cost to reach it. (edit: I haven't had ammo problems with it).

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Unhappy Meal posted:

Rover uses the Scythe. :v:

Rover use a Scythe blessed by Super Earth space god, we get the mass production version apparently.

I would argue the Defender is actually the upgrade of the Liberator.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have been using the scythe recently, it's decent in my opinion.

Also a lot of grenade launcher + supply pack shenanigans. bot swarm? full clip of grenades? Shield Devastator? grenades. Automaton base? Grenades. Hulk rush? Surprisingly, Grenades.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

BadLlama posted:

Rover use a Scythe blessed by Super Earth space god, we get the mass production version apparently.
I would argue the Defender is actually the upgrade of the Liberator.
The Liberator has better optics, and a flashlight. Otherwise, the Defender fills the same role but does it better. Your primary weapon is for engaging trash at medium range. sidearm is for panicking when something gets too close. Everything else is best dealt with by stratagems and support weapons or by hittin da bricks.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

70% Explosive resist armor so you can dive and propel yourself across the map with a hell bomb.

Impact damage is your problem.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Apparently the Senator has secret medium armor penetration like the slugger?

It will go through the head of the armored bile spewers.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Tommy the Newt posted:

I only recently started using the scorcher but I think it's my new favourite, it's fantastic for bots as it has a higher ROF than the slugger so you can quickly deal with groups of smaller enemies while also dealing with scout striders in 2 hits from pretty much any angle. It's pretty decent against bugs as well too, I haven't had many instances of splash damage and it's pretty good for just indiscriminately blapping at groups of hiveguards and brood commanders. I suspect the reason it doesn't get talked about that much is the high medal cost to reach it. (edit: I haven't had ammo problems with it).

I also love the Scorcher, but I do feel like I’m constantly on the hunt for ammo now. Especially when I become the defacto bile spewer popper.

But it’s the only primary that feels like it can handle everything except for Titans.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Black Noise posted:

70% Explosive resist armor so you can dive and propel yourself across the map with a hell bomb.

Impact damage is your problem.

This guy gets it. The only armor I bought with SC was light armor with explosive resistance and reduced spread when crouching/prone and it's absolutely fantastic. Turns an MG into a laser beam and lets me rocket jump.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I also love the Scorcher, but I do feel like I’m constantly on the hunt for ammo now. Especially when I become the defacto bile spewer popper.

But it’s the only primary that feels like it can handle everything except for Titans.

Your username makes me happy you use the scorcher. It's not a bad gun by any means but the low ammo makes it unreliable to me, and you're supposed to rely on support weapons and stratagems (as stated by the devs) for bigger enemies. Presumably a primary should stop being effective for enemies bigger/tougher than brood commanders, which is exactly when the liberator stops being effective.

Means the scorcher is pretty dang balanced because you can use it for enemies above/including brood commanders but it comes at the cost of having basically no ammo. I think the idea is that everything should be centered around the liberator's level of effectiveness and if it punches above it in some way, it needs to come at the cost of something else.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 27, 2024

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

jokes posted:

The reasons to bring the defender specifically are already met by bringing the peacemaker (gatting with one hand), and otherwise the liberator does everything better. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination but it's definitely a side-grade from the liberator, but there's just not much of a reason to not bring the liberator since they're both automatic, etc. Scorcher gets like 2 shots before it's out of ammo it's dry as h*ck

The defender does about the same dps as the liberator and has better recoil (and a slower rof which magnifies that recoil), so idk how the liberator is better exactly?

And the scorcher has 6x15 shots which is 90. Slugger carries 60, I'm using slugger for comparison because its the closest to the scorcher's weird pseudo-DMR niche. The scorcher has insane utility on top if that thanks to the AoE+explosive damage. Its almost like carrying a support weapon in your primary slot.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Scorcher needs 5 more rounds a magazine and itll be in a good place imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

How have they not fixed getting stuck behind the cryopods during the loading into yours/another players ship yet?