Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah concrete dolphins get used to prevent this sort of thing in a lot of bridges but I'm not sure you can reasonably make one that can withstand a fully loaded panamax. Just an insane amount of force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The way to prevent this is, has nothing to do with bridge engineering. What caused this is how ships are run, maintained and managed. Several months from now there will be a port state report from USCG. It will also certainly be discussed at IMO too.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

The one thing I've seen mentioned is that bridges have structures to avert collisions called "dolphins" and that while the FSK had them, the angle the ship came in at missed them. Newer bridges apparently have improved coverage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_(structure)

Ah, beaten.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
They should build two bridges side by side. Then next time this happens, there will be one bridge left standing while the other is rebuilt.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kchama posted:

I never said was the 'obvious right answer', just that learning to engineer structures to RESIST is pretty important.

And no it's not first year engineering stuff but it's still something you'd show to get across what a disastrous collision looks like.

Oh I see you're already moving the goalposts. The original post that I responded to clearly said first year engineering.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh I see you're already moving the goalposts. The original post that I responded to clearly said first year engineering.

I was uhh, agreeing with you there, dude.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

bad time to be eastern seaboard regional trucker, even worse time to be a business reliant on north/south freight

gently caress condition one: harbor tunnels got height/double trailer/hazardous restrictions so ! ! anything ! ! hazmat, oversize or volatiles getting rerouted 695 west while the city gets crushed with congestion from the disaster, and it will have to be that way for literal years

gently caress condition two: anyone OTR or O/O will just say "no thanks" and not haul there unless you pay them some exorbitant cpm to break even on sitting they rear end in crushed beltway logjams

so by my calculations, you're talking seventy five percent hosed for freight overland rates in the area with no endorsements, and one hundred percent hosed with most endorsements. everyone going to be paying the difference on this one

well on the bright side at least this won't be paired with any kind of, say, overseas freight issue in the region, conceivably for months, right

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Shamelessly stealing this from the GBS thread. I actually live in this district so I'm over the loving moon.

I wanna temper some expectations that while it's pretty significant in the swing, but for standards, the Huntsville-Madison area that she represents is pretty middle to upper class and extremely progressive for the standards of the rest of the state. It's got the University of Alabama here, it's got the space and rocket center and NASA, the redstone arsenal and then just all residences otherwise.

Still that is quite a swing, and in that key suburb demographic that everyone is chasing this election year.

I feel like it’s maybe a barometer to where a lot of suburbs are headed. I don’t think there will be massive red state 180s but I do think that this is hopeful news for Dems and hopefully they exploit it more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
From what I'm reading, there are advances in bridge design in the past 50 years that could have at least ameliorated this, mostly putting more barriers around the bases of piers so that big rear end boats like that simply can't approach as closely.

It wouldn't surprise me if the video is frequently shown in classes. It's pretty dramatic video and it's very short.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge video is a striking example of aeroelastic flutter and dynamic modes. It shows a very specific kind of natural phenomenon that is rarely seen at such scale, but which must still be accounted for when designing structures. It's a way to give real life context and weight to engineering students about why they've been asked to spend years trying to solve differential equations and learn about aerodynamics and material properties and such.

But there is no such engineering knowledge to be demonstrated from a video of a ship hitting a bridge support and the bridge collapsing. As someone said earlier, it's equivalent to showing a medical student a video of someone getting shot in the head.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have heard that even with modern Dolphins, at the angle the ship was going it would have... just kept going over them.

I also heard that a more modern design would have had more distance between each pylon allowing for more barrier stuff to be build to effectively have a nice island filled with dirt and sand in the way which would have been a lot more likely to work.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Isn;t the bigger thing here that no one told the road crew to evacuate? Like emergency services were able to close down with the warning but forgot the people working?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

It's a bit of an oversight but often the only way to inform them is to walk out/drive, especially if their home office isn't open yet because it's 6 in the morning. Not necessarily a way to get a cell number or radio frequency on the spot. No way to do it without putting more people in harms way.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Isn;t the bigger thing here that no one told the road crew to evacuate? Like emergency services were able to close down with the warning but forgot the people working?

You can listen to the emergency response radio chatter to hear the details, but they were trying to. I believe one cop blocked traffic and was waiting for backup to come block traffic before he went down the bridge to talk to the workers. Someone else was trying to reach the company via phone too.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Mooseontheloose posted:

The total elapsed time from the ship’s initial power loss to the mayday call to the bridge coming down was apparently less than 5 minutes. Frankly the fact that they managed to stop traffic at all must have taken insane luck and quick thinking.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 27, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/benwermund/status/1772975658278297644

quote:

Richman repeatedly pointed to a 2012 Supreme Court ruling that held that only the federal government has the power to enforce immigration laws. In that case, the high court struck down portions of an Arizona law that authorized police to arrest anyone suspected of being in the country illegally.

Richman said the Arizona ruling provides "considerable guidance" on whether Texas can succeed. She wrote that the Supreme Court in that case explained that a "principal feature" of the federal removal system is the broad discretion exercised by immigration officials. Those officials can decide whom to deport, and migrants can seek asylum or other forms of relief at any point in the process.

SB4's provisions empowering state officials to make those decisions, Richman wrote, "significantly impair the exercise of discretion by federal immigration officials."

"The broadest exercise of federal discretion is the Executive’s decision not to pursue either civilly or criminally the very noncitizens whom Texas
has drawn a bead upon in enacting new state laws," she wrote. "The discretion to pursue these same noncitizens likely lies exclusively with the Executive."

I'm starting to believe that SCOTUS isn't willing to overturn Arizona

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The total elapsed time from the ship’s initial power loss to the mayday call to the bridge coming down was apparently less than 5 minutes. Frankly the fact that they managed to stop traffic at all must have taken insane luck and quick thinking.
Yeah IMO everyone involved with this incident was very competent, and the lines of communication worked better than I ever could have imagined. This could have been so, so much worse.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There is a police building directly on the eastern side of the bridge, a cop on foot could have ran over to block traffic in those 5 minutes it's that close. western side they could have just hit the gates on the 695 drawbridge for the coast guard yard and blocked that route.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nenonen posted:

They should build two bridges side by side. Then next time this happens, there will be one bridge left standing while the other is rebuilt.

Isn't this actually how many bridges are built? I wouldn't be surprised if failures were part of the reason.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

AtomikKrab posted:

There is a police building directly on the eastern side of the bridge, a cop on foot could have ran over to block traffic in those 5 minutes it's that close. western side they could have just hit the gates on the 695 drawbridge for the coast guard yard and blocked that route.

Cops: known for quick thinking and running

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
From Washington Post .

WaPo posted:

Recordings from the transportation authority police radio published by Broadcastify, an open-source audio-streaming service, show officers discussing the workers on the bridge and plans to notify the foreman. But within about 20 seconds, before an officer could drive across the bridge and deliver the news, the structure plummeted into the water.

And it sounds like the full audio is out there if someone wants to do more than conjecture.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't this actually how many bridges are built? I wouldn't be surprised if failures were part of the reason.

A lot of the time you see 2 long bridges next to each other is because they wanted to expand and built the other was built years after the first. It would take a lot more material to build two parallel spans instead of 1 wider one in the first place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also if you want to replace a bridge under normal circumstances, you build the second bridge next to the first and open it before closing the first and tearing it down, so there's no period with zero bridges availlable

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

scotus touched the live wire with dobbs and got burned and i dont think most of them want to do that again. I also think alot of them want more legal cover then "Make minorities/women suffer based on some 5th circut rear end in a top hat rantings. they would rather nibble around rights now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zoux posted:

This ruling is from the 5th Circuit, it's got nothing to do with SCOTUS (except that SCOTUS told them to rule on this themselves and stop trying to immediately kick it up to SCOTUS).

Granted, the fact that even the 5th Circuit is saying the case is unlikely to survive on the merits suggests that it's DOA, but we're not really going to know SCOTUS's stance until the full case inevitably gets appealed to SCOTUS (though, given the current makeup of SCOTUS, I find it quite unlikely that there'll be five votes for overturning Arizona).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate Peter Baker. He's the holotype of the up-his-own-rear end, I-am-a-completely-objective-arbiter-of-reality NYT reporter. He claims to not even vote as to not bias his coverage, but you can find him saying unambigiously pro-GOP and anti-Dem things constantly.

Here he is flogging an article in the Atlantic about the seldom covered issue of campus free speech.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1772622475446161909

The author is his loving son.

Main Paineframe posted:

This ruling is from the 5th Circuit, it's got nothing to do with SCOTUS (except that SCOTUS told them to rule on this themselves and stop trying to immediately kick it up to SCOTUS).

Granted, the fact that even the 5th Circuit is saying the case is unlikely to survive on the merits suggests that it's DOA, but we're not really going to know SCOTUS's stance until the full case inevitably gets appealed to SCOTUS (though, given the current makeup of SCOTUS, I find it quite unlikely that there'll be five votes for overturning Arizona).

I understand that, I just believe that lower courts take signals from SCOTUS, and right now SCOTUS is mad at lower courts. Gorsuch in oral arguments yesterday

quote:

There are zero universal injunctions issued during FDR's time in office and over the last 4 years or so the number is something like 60, and maybe more than that and you are asking us to extend and pursue this remedial course which this court never adopted itself
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1772641995359457447

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 27, 2024

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Nenonen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ2nhHNtpmk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just build e a redundant array of inexpensive bridges

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So I haven’t seen it in this thread, but if one read the NYTs article one might have seen a mention of it.

There is a public free website for checking vessel port state control results. It’s called equasis. I used to use it occasionally when I did flag state work. Anyway when crap happens with a vessel like this one can check what deficiencies the vessel has had previously and get vessel particulars from the site. Separate from this incident one can use it to check out cruise ships if one is booking a cruise (don’t take cruises).

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't remember which threads I've posted it in but it was covered in the banner yesterday:

quote:

The vessel was last inspected in September by the U.S. Coast Guard, which found no deficiencies, according to an online database maintained by Electronic Quality Shipping Information System. Out of the 27 inspections documented for Dali since 2015, two have found deficiencies. In 2016, the ship was found to have hull damage and in June 2023 an inspection found problems with “propulsion and auxiliary machinery.”

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/community/transportation/baltimore-bridge-dali-tugboat-rules-E4DIYO7MUVDOFHR7Y3YJOGOY3A/

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Hear me out: ramps and aircraft carrier catapults.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

mobby_6kl posted:

With interconnects between them, so you have a fully redundant RAIB-5.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

OAquinas posted:

I don't know if I like how entrenched RAIB culture is becoming on this forum.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OAquinas posted:

brb, mocking this up in Cities Skylines

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's all this talk about how to build bridges safely, but it's a solved problem and has been for decades

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Hey any of y'all clutching pearls over tik tok the other day wanna take a moment to address this?

https://techcrunch.com/2024/03/26/facebook-secret-project-snooped-snapchat-user-traffic/amp/

"In 2016, Facebook launched a secret project designed to intercept and decrypt the network traffic between people using Snapchat’s app and its servers."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So I haven’t seen it in this thread, but if one read the NYTs article one might have seen a mention of it.

There is a public free website for checking vessel port state control results. It’s called equasis. I used to use it occasionally when I did flag state work. Anyway when crap happens with a vessel like this one can check what deficiencies the vessel has had previously and get vessel particulars from the site. Separate from this incident one can use it to check out cruise ships if one is booking a cruise (don’t take cruises).

Morbid curiosity, and not like I’d ever go on one, but what are your reasons to dodge cruises?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The poops? I'm sure Bar Ran Dun has better reasons

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Quantum Cat posted:

Hey any of y'all clutching pearls over tik tok the other day wanna take a moment to address this?

https://techcrunch.com/2024/03/26/facebook-secret-project-snooped-snapchat-user-traffic/amp/

"In 2016, Facebook launched a secret project designed to intercept and decrypt the network traffic between people using Snapchat’s app and its servers."

It looks like this project was revealed by legal actions against Facebook in US courts, as part of a major lawsuit against Facebook for engaging in exactly this sort of behavior. Which is, as I recall, exactly the kind of thing moving Tiktok to US ownership is about : making Tiktok more accessible to the US regulatory state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

Morbid curiosity, and not like I’d ever go on one, but what are your reasons to dodge cruises?

I don't know their reasons, but for myself I don't see the benefit of paying that much money to jump in to a petri dish disease fest where it's on me to go to the court system of Madagascar or some poo poo for justice if anything happens to me or my family on the trip.