Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The only fun combat challenges I’ve done were in the Musclehead Colosseum. Frogs only? Hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: is there a finite amount of Pirate Jetsam in the ocean?

There is exactly as much as you need, and a message will pop up telling you that you've collected all of it when you get the last one.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The only fun combat challenges I’ve done were in the Musclehead Colosseum. Frogs only? Hilarious.

I tried equipping the frog ring to see if I'd switch back like in the original game, didn't work.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
This game absolutely needs a training room and also needs a way to tell what does magic damage and what does physical damage.

It took me forever to realize that when you toss the shuriken as Yuffie, it's still rotating around the target you tossed it at and that's dealing the slew of small numbers as physical damage. Mashing square is what gets you the magic damage so even when you think you're doing magic damage to something physically immune, IMMUNE is still going to constantly pop up due the shuriken spinning.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I beat the game.

Man that was…quite a lot, huh.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
These cosmo canyon proto relic flash backs make Jessie look like a drunk rear end in a top hat. Why did she put biggs in a sleeper hold!!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

That's like classic sibling behavior, and they were definitely close like family.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I mean I get it and I assume the intent was as such to convey a normal headlock but that was for sure a sleeper hold lol. She's also the only visibly drunk character at any point in all these flashbacks and she's like, hammered drunk

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I mean I get it and I assume the intent was as such to convey a normal headlock but that was for sure a sleeper hold lol. She's also the only visibly drunk character at any point in all these flashbacks and she's like, hammered drunk

She's drunk like a theatre kid gets drunk, which makes sense, but everyone else is clearly in their cups. Except maybe Barret.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
>Runs in breathless, panting<

Guys, guys, guys! What if.... Hear me out, what it.... what if we used audio mixing software to tune "Bow wow wow bow wow wow" into the Cosmo Canyon theme?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So apparently Hp MP swap is broken as poo poo for no damage runs since having super low HP means each perfect parry builds like 1/3rd of a limit bar.

Turns out being able to spam limit breaks every few seconds is kinda good.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

So apparently Hp MP swap is broken as poo poo for no damage runs since having super low HP means each perfect parry builds like 1/3rd of a limit bar.

Turns out being able to spam limit breaks every few seconds is kinda good.

Based on my normal run, a "perfect block every attack or die" run would last about 15 seconds :haw:

That does sound pretty broken for the people who can pull it off though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This reminds me. HP<->MP is in the game for lols, completeness since it was in the OG and is kinda memorable, and apparently limit farming, and also is helpful for AP grinding, and whatever practical purpose it serves is underscored by how there is absolutely no way in hell to get your MP to such stupid levels by any other means. Cool.

Why did they bother with Vit<->Spr and Str<->Mag? Is there anything you can do with them that you can't do by just using different equipment? Characters have some natural variance but as far as I know all have broadly the same kinds of weapon archetypes. Maybe you can get a high strength Aerith but like. Why would you? Is there even a joke here?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fedule posted:

This reminds me. HP<->MP is in the game for lols, completeness since it was in the OG and is kinda memorable, and apparently limit farming, and also is helpful for AP grinding, and whatever practical purpose it serves is underscored by how there is absolutely no way in hell to get your MP to such stupid levels by any other means. Cool.

Why did they bother with Vit<->Spr and Str<->Mag? Is there anything you can do with them that you can't do by just using different equipment? Characters have some natural variance but as far as I know all have broadly the same kinds of weapon archetypes. Maybe you can get a high strength Aerith but like. Why would you? Is there even a joke here?

when you are in sections where you have more than three party members you can throw HP <-> MP on a bench character for a free between combat healing battery since you can access their spells from the commands when you're not in combat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

It allows more flexibility in weapon or equipment choices. Weapons have different skills based on different weapons and some of those skills are good for, say, a Phys-based Cloud but are on a magic-based weapon. Likewise some of Barret's best ATB building stuff is on phys weapons but if you want to use him as your healer then more magic is good.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Really looking forward to watching some speedruns of this game using some absolute busted strats.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lines posted:

Really looking forward to watching some speedruns of this game using some absolute busted strats.

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaPmtPRN514

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I forgot to mention that the frog colosseum fights play the ridiculous kerokero song from the frog jumping minigame and that ruled

Also the Chocobo race in the glitched ch 12 quest plays a new version of Crazy Chocobo which made me laugh

lines
Aug 18, 2013

That's the stuff.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Huh, turns out it's possible to get a cross-counter finish.

Popped Moogle Magic during the Yin Yang fight with Cait, and I'm not entirely sure what happened but one second I was winding up for an attack and the next I was watching the victory cutscene while a 'Cait Sith is unconscious' pop up appeared.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a Soulslike

lines
Aug 18, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Huh, turns out it's possible to get a cross-counter finish.

Popped Moogle Magic during the Yin Yang fight with Cait, and I'm not entirely sure what happened but one second I was winding up for an attack and the next I was watching the victory cutscene while a 'Cait Sith is unconscious' pop up appeared.

Yes I think my partner did almost the same thing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

that's neat, really need to work on my perfect guard timing

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I also got a double KO finish in that specific fight. Maybe something's up with it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I saw another wild video for a full-team build that seemed really broken, but I haven't tried it out myself.

The basic idea is it's a team of Cloud, Aerith, and Yuffie. Cloud and Aerith are built for as much magic damage as possible, while Yuffie is set up for ATB support (Skill Master + ATB Assist). At the start of the fight, Aerith drops down an Arcane Ward and an ATB Ward. Yuffie spams Brumal Form in the ATB Ward, constantly refilling her own ATB and feeding ATB to Cloud and Aerith, who spend it on blasting with -ga spells for stupid damage. Even better with Swiftcast and Genji Glove. I'm not sure if there's more to it than that, but it sure seemed to melt combat simulator bosses really quickly.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also, I love how it's just an unspoken Thing that there's something deeply, deeply wrong with Cloud. You don't even know that the rest of the party is intentionally not bringing it up until Barret says something about Cloud when you reach Nibelheim and Red instantly shoves him.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BisbyWorl posted:

Also, I love how it's just an unspoken Thing that there's something deeply, deeply wrong with Cloud. You don't even know that the rest of the party is intentionally not bringing it up until Barret says something about Cloud when you reach Nibelheim and Red instantly shoves him.

It's kind of a one-two punch of terrible circumstances: everyone has their own poo poo going on, and they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as far as they have without Cloud. He's a literal superhuman. To confront him now would stop them in their tracks, and time isn't on their side.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think they're genuinely scared of him too. There's like two or three scenes where Cloud commits extreme acts of violence and it stuns the rest into silence. They just don't know what to do or say and Tifa has to coddle him gently almost like she's an abused fawn.

You just know it's going to get much worse in part 3 and they all have to confront it head-on before somebody else gets killed

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 27, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Namnesor posted:

It's kind of a one-two punch of terrible circumstances: everyone has their own poo poo going on, and they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as far as they have without Cloud. He's a literal superhuman. To confront him now would stop them in their tracks, and time isn't on their side.
There's a lot going on there, it's really good writing. They also all really like him, he's a charismatic dude -- note how he's gone from being literal hired help to the unquestioned leader. And at the same time, they're terrified; if Cloud snaps and goes full Sephiroth, they can do approximately jack poo poo to prevent him from murdering them all. Also, he is, as far as they know, a SOLDIER, and SOLDIERs degenerate; that's just a fact of life. So they're in this situation where nobody wants Cloud to be crazy and getting worse, but he clearly is, and they can't fix it. Giving him a ton of moral support and avoiding his triggers like the plague is their only play.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oh why do some magic spells have alpha on them

edit: oh is that from the folio ability

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

oh why do some magic spells have alpha on them

edit: oh is that from the folio ability

Yeah, that’s the part of the folio ability that strengthens the actual spell(s).

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also also finding the lifespring on the way to the Nibel reactor and Cloud just going into a trance and repeating what Sephiroth said five years ago was an extremely creepy moment.

I'm not sure if it was just the lighting, but I think Cloud started to get Sephi's cat eyes during that scene.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BisbyWorl posted:

Also also finding the lifespring on the way to the Nibel reactor and Cloud just going into a trance and repeating what Sephiroth said five years ago was an extremely creepy moment.

I'm not sure if it was just the lighting, but I think Cloud started to get Sephi's cat eyes during that scene.

that entire scene was super well done, the moment where it clicks for Tifa what he's doing and she immediately gets super uncomfortable and pushes for them to leave was :discourse:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, that’s the part of the folio ability that strengthens the actual spell(s).

I always found the wording odd. On the folio screen I feel like the description really should have read 'strengthens spells of this element' first, and 'cast a weaker version of this spell that costs 0mp' second. Not the way round it currently is.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I feel bad chasing after Beck's Badasses. They were trying to get out of crime and they even found the protorelic first!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

There's a lot going on there, it's really good writing. They also all really like him, he's a charismatic dude -- note how he's gone from being literal hired help to the unquestioned leader. And at the same time, they're terrified; if Cloud snaps and goes full Sephiroth, they can do approximately jack poo poo to prevent him from murdering them all. Also, he is, as far as they know, a SOLDIER, and SOLDIERs degenerate; that's just a fact of life. So they're in this situation where nobody wants Cloud to be crazy and getting worse, but he clearly is, and they can't fix it. Giving him a ton of moral support and avoiding his triggers like the plague is their only play.

It's funny (in a dark way if you think about it) that the game repeatedly riffs on this by having somebody imply they want to pick a fight with Cloud, he does a super serious "oh you wanna go" and the other party is like naw man I was just joking around!oh poo poo oh gently caress please don't kill me"

The game strikes a delicate balance by putting the player in the role of a hero on the verge of a psychotic break, and showing how that affects the people around them.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Namnesor posted:

The funny thing is that time really isn't against them, though. They think they're chasing Sephiroth, but the reality is that he wants Cloud to go and get the Black Materia for him. If they just...didn't go after it, would Sephiroth be able to accomplish any of his goals? I guess Shinra is also after it, but how far would they get without spying on the team?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am super garbage at blocking and perfect parrying because I am very much a button masher and I’m usually too busy figuring out what I’m going to do next or scanning the battlefield for other poo poo going on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fedule posted:

I’ve tried using the Str<->Mag materia before and it never quite works the way I thought it would(like the swap isn’t as big as I thought it would be). I guess it’s the result of a lot of Str and Mag being from base stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rhonne posted:

The funny thing is that time really isn't against them, though. They think they're chasing Sephiroth, but the reality is that he wants Cloud to go and get the Black Materia for him. If they just...didn't go after it, would Sephiroth be able to accomplish any of his goals? I guess Shinra is also after it, but how far would they get without spying on the team?

It's actually uncertain whether or not Sephiroth is ever physically present, or if he's exclusively projecting through black robes / Jenova cells (when the party sees him) or messing with Cloud's head (when they don't). The dude is weirdly ephemeral for as often as he shows up. So maybe he really can't fulfill his master plan unless he can puppetmaster Cloud into doing it for him.