Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've said it before but the early FPS roguelike boom seemed to attract developers who only loosely understood those two genres.

They weren't wall to wall crap, but even a mildly popular one like Immortal Redneck is miles behind modern darlings like Deadlink and Roboquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Glagha posted:

I played the Bears In Space demo back during like Steam Next Fest I think it was and that game has me conflicted. On one hand the shooting felt not super fantastic but the thing I super appreciated was the extreme variety in that game. One of the main gimmicks at least the demo had was that it seems to introduce a new goofy one off gameplay setpiece often. Here's a basketball minigame, a Psychonauts-like Godzilla bit, a giant boss fight. Lots of secrets, and seemingly a huge variety of guns. It was definitely INTERESTING but I dunno how good it is so I'll wait for reviews. I usually will cut a lot of slack for games with a lot of heart to them and I feel like Bears in Space is a game that's definitely trying to be unique.

The moment to moment gameplay is honestly really awful feeling but I dig the Double Fine-humor of it all, I'm just not sure I could see myself playing it for long when it's not that fun to play.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Strafe is a great rogue-lite shooter. It uses the aesthetics of 90s advertising but never was intended to be what is now called a boomer shooter or retro shooter. It is it's own thing and I'm glad for it, because not a lot of games have managed to do the roguelite style progression in a shooter. Besides the large exception of Risk of Rain 2 , very few games have managed to get that really fun power curve that you get from collecting items over the course of a run, and I wish more folks would take a crack at it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really liked Eldritch, as far as roguelike shooters went. It's a bit more survival than full action, but you can still get pretty powerful.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My favorite FPS Roguelites (in no particular order) have been: BPM BULLETS PER MINUTE, City of Brass, Immortal Redneck, and Ziggurat 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My favorite FPS Roguelites (in no particular order) have been: BPM BULLETS PER MINUTE, City of Brass, Immortal Redneck, and Ziggurat 2.

Curious about Ziggurat 2. The first one wasn't bad but got repetitive fast because of the level design (way to few "seeds") and lack of enemy variety, is it an improvement?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Best one is Gunfire Reborn, imo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Guillermus posted:

Curious about Ziggurat 2. The first one wasn't bad but got repetitive fast because of the level design (way to few "seeds") and lack of enemy variety, is it an improvement?

I'd say it's definitely an improvement over the original in most ways, and one of the more solid FPS Roguelites out there. One of my biggest complaints is that there are a bunch of bosses, but for some reason the devs gave most of them the same HP and no weaknesses or resistances. The result is that they feel samey with the exception of a few novelties, like the Mandrake boss that can make illusory copies of itself.

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah I've heard good things about this one; I should check it out one day

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would definitely put in a word for gunfire reborn. the devs just keep lumping in all sorts of wild poo poo and they seem to have looked at the formula in things like borderlands and went 'how do we make this actually feel good to play and not be about chipping away at bullet sponges'.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ooh, I really liked City of Brass, though bizarrely to the point where I almost wish it was an entirely different game so I could keep exploring the city. I have Immortal Redneck but haven't given it a shot yet.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd say it's definitely an improvement over the original in most ways, and one of the more solid FPS Roguelites out there. One of my biggest complaints is that there are a bunch of bosses, but for some reason the devs gave most of them the same HP and no weaknesses or resistances. The result is that they feel samey with the exception of a few novelties, like the Mandrake boss that can make illusory copies of itself.

How are the weapons? I had to give up on the first one because the slow drip feed of weapons kept giving me ones that a) filled the same slot so most of my weapon slots were empty, and b) they all sucked so no matter which one I had, I hated it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I've heard good things about this one; I should check it out one day

Thanks! I'll wait for deep discount and give it a go.

Turin Turambar posted:

Adding this one too. My bar for roguelites is "I get them at 66%/75% off and give them a 5-6 hour try" at least to get my money's worth. If I outright hate (doesn't happen often) I just refund before the 2.5 hour mark.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Tower of Guns was peak roguelite FPS for me, something about it felt so loving weird and also satisfying.

I need to check out Gunfire Reborn sometimes, lotta good buzz around that one.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
the shooting and movement in gunfire reborn felt lifeless and borderlands-y to me. the robot one seemed better and it had some interesting rocket jump style mechanics but it wasn't much fun either. keep roguelite elements out of my shooters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Squeezy Farm posted:

the shooting and movement in gunfire reborn felt lifeless and borderlands-y to me. the robot one seemed better and it had some interesting rocket jump style mechanics but it wasn't much fun either. keep roguelite elements out of my shooters.

Yeah, I "demoed" GR and Roboquest and the former had extremely boring combat while the latter had all kinds of movement and actually good shooting.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

catlord posted:

Ooh, I really liked City of Brass, though bizarrely to the point where I almost wish it was an entirely different game so I could keep exploring the city. I have Immortal Redneck but haven't given it a shot yet.

How are the weapons? I had to give up on the first one because the slow drip feed of weapons kept giving me ones that a) filled the same slot so most of my weapon slots were empty, and b) they all sucked so no matter which one I had, I hated it.

I like City of Brass because it's not a particular aesthetic I see too much, and it has this cohesive & distinct style where there's a realism to it but also an exaggeration of features and proportions that is kind of cool.

It's been a couple of years since I last played Ziggurat 2, but I want to say that the weapons might have been one of my favorite things about it. There are some redundancies and duds in the mix, but there's still a considerable variety of tools at your disposal. The general weapon "feel" is also improved over a lot of FPS Roguelites (at least of its time) in my opinion.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 26, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What Gunfire Reborn brings to the table is Binding of Isaac-style "I picked up this and this and this and now everything on screen is exploding" power accumulation. I do think the shooting is better than people give it credit for, insomuch that chasing critical hits generally feels good, but it's also true that refined gunplay is not the real focus.

Roboquest has somewhat questionable metaprogression pacing but once you start opening up all the movement options the gameplay starts to well and truly shine and is drawing a lot from stuff like Titanfall 2 and Doom '16/Eternal. On the other hand, I found it really easy to exhaust it of content/fun/variety and further development has been slow.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The gang are keeping as productively(?) busy as ever.

https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1772733988634771684
https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1772771337443906003

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana :pray:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Come on remake of Bedlam, not that one, the other one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They're gonna port Corridor 7 and Operation Body Count, with a teaser for Nitemare 3D coming 'sometime'.

There, that's all the main non-Slavic jank I can think of.

On the topic of fps roguelikes/lites, would Void Bastards count?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

On the topic of fps roguelikes/lites, would Void Bastards count?

Yeah, although it's more a very lite imsim.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bonus points if Romero helped them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can I get an all new episode of Daikatana?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Daikatana isn’t jank. TekWar is jank.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I bet on Daikatana.

Yes, there are games that are more janky, but also they are barely known so there is not point in doing a remaster for them. Remember, the whole point is making money, not doing a port because the 'lulz'....

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm finally ready to be John Romero's bitch.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Daikatana isn’t jank. TekWar is jank.
Daikatana is junk.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One annoying thing with Dai is it runs fine under proton and then just crashes at the same point every time 😔 would love a console port.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So... how would you use the chance to improve Daikatana, beyond the graphics?

Better ai pathfinding, of course.
But what else?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

But what else?

Add a toggle that puts John Romero's face on all the characters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

But what else?

Fix the save crystals to like, work, and probably honestly just remove them.
Fix the goddamn sound overlapping sweet god why are the machines so loud all the time everywhere

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Turin Turambar posted:

But what else?

I can leave without my buddy Superfly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hell yeah trespasser

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol id love to see this

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Prime Target! Now with added January 6th DLC!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

site posted:

Hell yeah trespasser

This is the only correct answer.

Give me some 4k titty health bars and an arm with no wrist bones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trespasser VR (you can only use one motion controller)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Trespasser already exists in it's perfect form - Research Indicates' LP of it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

He used the term jank. If he said "raw" only Blood II would be a valid choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
In a curveball nobody will ever see coming, it'll turn out they're doing the Oblivion remake