Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Night 1 is always better

That's only because up until now it was the night where Roman didn't show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

projecthalaxy posted:

Thats not entirely raws fault though. Watching things on regular cable is crazy after a few year break. It's like 4 mins of content, 3 of ads all for medicine on every channel

Oh yeah, cable ads are out of control across the board - the breakdown calls out that 61 minutes of the 3-hour runtime was spent in commercial break. But entrances are drat near equal to the length of time spent on actual in-ring action.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

UnleashedDad posted:

Recent studies have shown that WWE fans share a lot in common with comic book nerds in that they are both loving moronic dumb dumbs

people on this forums have been comparing wrestling (wwe) to comic book characters for like decades now so this checks out

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

If you post about wrestling on the internet you are exactly as much of a freak as the comic nerds. Except me, I’m cool.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I always manage to be surprised about exactly how many ad breaks there are when I watch TV in the US. British TV (barring the BBC obviously) has a lot of adverts too, but it seems common in the US to have a break after, like, the opening theme tune for a sitcom when there were already ads before that. It especially staggers the sports coverage. Even cricket, a game with an incredible amount of downtime in test format, doesn't seem to have anywhere near as many ad breaks as American football or basketball.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
pacing matches and camera timing to commercial breaks gotta be an art because when i was used to just watching nxt on the network and ppvs i was spoiled when watching early aew and having to deal commercial breaks until going to fite to watch it. AEW has gotten better with commercial break/match timing now though.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The worst part of ad creep is when you watch old TV shows and you can notice how much they've hosed with it to make room for more ads. Like it was proven somewhere that Seinfeld reruns are aired at like 1.10x speed and have entire scenes cut just to make room for more ads. I've seen other sitcom episodes where the entire B plot was removed, etc.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

KungFu Grip posted:

people on this forums have been comparing wrestling (wwe) to comic book characters for like decades now so this checks out

You sound like the Joker in this post

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
remembered watching something not even that much older on basic tv and they'd cut to commercial mid conversation one time and came back to the same conversation so i believe it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

remembered watching something not even that much older on basic tv and they'd cut to commercial mid conversation one time and came back to the same conversation so i believe it.

This happens when you watch something on Tubi, even when you’re watching shows with designated ad breaks!!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It is pretty wild watching an old tv and the very obvious fade outs/ins where the original commercial breaks were meant to happen just come and go because they don't line up with the current format where it just randomly cuts to ads every 3 minutes and who gives a gently caress if it's mid-sentence

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I miss when shows would have cheesy 2 minute intros instead of more ads. Thanks a lot Lost

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The USA is a hellscape of ads, coming from any other country it's truly incredible (and maddening, can't watch US TV because of it)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rarity posted:

I miss when shows would have cheesy 2 minute intros instead of more ads. Thanks a lot Lost

What are you talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4AEEoX3d3E

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Dynamite is my favourite show but if it had an intro like Full House it’d be a lot better

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Alan_Shore posted:

The USA is a hellscape, coming from any other country it's truly incredible (and maddening)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Just saw the long take during the ricochet match, pretty good!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sandman from ECW posted:

Dynamite is my favourite show but if it had an intro like Full House it’d be a lot better

Make it the Too Many Cooks intro with the entire AEW roster.

Edit: Lost opportunity with April Fools Day coming up

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

The USA is a hellscape of ads, coming from any other country it's truly incredible (and maddening, can't watch US TV because of it)

I originally read this as meaning USA Network and I'm like "yeah 65% of Raw is ads" lol

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

I remember my long quest to figure out who was the Vince Russo of comics and landing on infamous Sonic the Hedgehog writer Ken Penders.

Sandman from ECW posted:

Whatever happened to that girl Serena Deeb?
Danhausen, that Miro guy, Johnny TV?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Gavok posted:

I remember my long quest to figure out who was the Vince Russo of comics and landing on infamous Sonic the Hedgehog writer Ken Penders.

Wait, I need to more about this because I've had it in my head that the Sonic comics were good without actually reading said comics :munch:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Miching Mallecho posted:

Wait, I need to more about this because I've had it in my head that the Sonic comics were good without actually reading said comics :munch:

That fits with the widespread nostalgic depiction of Russo's run during Attitude Era WWF!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What's the last tv show that had a notable and memorable and popular opening theme? Sitcom or otherwise?

The last one I can remember is probably...Game of Thrones? Yeesh.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

severance, white lotus s2, succession

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Vandar posted:

What's the last tv show that had a notable and memorable and popular opening theme? Sitcom or otherwise?

Leftovers season 2

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Loki season 2

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

The Expanse had a pretty sick intro imo

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

NienNunb posted:

Leftovers season 2

panko posted:

severance, white lotus s2, succession
I'll be honest, I have no clue what any of those are lmao. Guess I'm more disconnected than I thought.

Was season 2 any good? I haven't gotten around to it because I'm just...burnt out as gently caress on Marvel stuff.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
this is my wrestling intro theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_YC6jiDZGI

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Vandar posted:

Was season 2 any good? I haven't gotten around to it because I'm just...burnt out as gently caress on Marvel stuff.

I dunno I just thought it would be a funny thing to say

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

No that’s not true. I watched it and thought it was pretty alright. It was fine.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
So did they want the Rock to do a big singles match with Roman but discovered he’s too old and broken for that so they pivoted to the tag match? Or did they change it because everyone hated that original plan? Or was that not the plan at all?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Anyone got that CM Punk promo or a clip of it? trying to search it only gives me like hour long videos about how Phil totally trolled AEW or is getting cancelled or poo poo like that

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Answers Me posted:

So did they want the Rock to do a big singles match with Roman but discovered he’s too old and broken for that so they pivoted to the tag match? Or did they change it because everyone hated that original plan? Or was that not the plan at all?

original plan was cody/roman

rock joins the board and the vince poo poo drops, it is decided that rock/roman is best for business and a way to shove the vince stuff off the front page

they send cody out on smackdown to give up his spot to the rock. everyone hates it

rock notices everyone hates it and pivots to a heel turn, cody gets his main event back and rock will be teaming with roman on night one

the build then pivots to cody vs rock with roman doing gently caress all to be involved and looking like an absolute geek next to the rock

like i keep forgetting the main focus of all of this should be roman/cody but rock just shunted roman into irrelevance during the entire build and it is hysterical

edit: forgot roman got a chance to promo with the big boys and he drowned so bad his main line was calling seth a cross dresser as he stumbled over everything else

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Vandar posted:

highlander

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Critical posted:

rock joins the board and the vince poo poo drops, it is decided that rock/roman is best for business and a way to shove the vince stuff off the front page

they send cody out on smackdown to give up his spot to the rock. everyone hates it

rock notices everyone hates it and pivots to a heel turn, cody gets his main event back and rock will be teaming with roman on night one

the build then pivots to cody vs rock with roman doing gently caress all to be involved and looking like an absolute geek next to the rock

like i keep forgetting the main focus of all of this should be roman/cody but rock just shunted roman into irrelevance during the entire build and it is hysterical

edit: forgot roman got a chance to promo with the big boys and he drowned so bad his main line was calling seth a cross dresser as he stumbled over everything else

I refuse to believe the current plan wasn't intentional. they made up a controversy with pushing Cody out that immediately took over the conversation of Vince and the company's harassment and SA culture

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i believe the vince poo poo drop was some time prior

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Critical posted:

roman reigns getting miz'd is very funny

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

That DICK! posted:

i believe the vince poo poo drop was some time prior

So, the McMahon stuff did show up last year but the actual disgusting details weren't known until this year and that stuff was literally like two days after Rock getting the board seat because before the details of the suit came out, Vince was literally there next to Dwayne and the others on Wall Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Miching Mallecho posted:

The comics in the last decade are supposedly great. Before that it was a whole thing.

The Sonic comics started as a spinoff to the Saturday morning cartoon, but gradually became its own thing and became more serious. Ken Penders was a guy who took over writing duties and eventually had a stranglehold over controlling practically everything involving the Sonic comics and their spinoffs. All the while, he had never played a single Sonic game and didn't care for Sonic himself. He did LOVE Knuckles though, and proceeded to introduce dozens of echidna characters. His storylines were bad and lots of stuff never paid off. This went on for many years.

poo poo hit the fan when a Sega bigwig saw a Sonic comic on the newsstand where Sonic was crying and wondered what the hell was going on with this property. They ended up getting rid of Penders, but he made a big deal about how all the many, many, MANY characters he created for the comic were his property. This should have been an open-and-shut case, as that's not how comics work, but his original contract was lost somewhere down the line and Archie Comics decided to not let it go to court. So they did a big Mega Man/Sonic crossover comic by another writer that ended up rewriting Sonic's universe in the end and retconned out all the original characters please don't steal.

Last I checked, Penders was making a big deal about how he was going to be releasing comics based on his main echidna character with terrible art, but I don't know if it was ever released.

Vandar posted:

Peacemaker.

Vandar posted:

It was very good, but people weren't happy with how Sylvie was written for it. Didn't help that Jonathan Majors had a major part of the show. Fantastic ending though.