Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

loving hell, but also good username+post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tankakern posted:

gentoo just got a profile upgrade

https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2024-03-22-new-23-profiles.html

bah, it wants you to do a world rebuild

They err on the side of caution because some defaults get changed in the new profile. But unless your CHOST has changed I'm fairly sure you can just let normal package updates slowly replace all the old packages.

e: ffmpeg 6 being available makes portage complain every single time because some things depend on ffmpeg <5 still :argh:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Athas posted:

I am pretty sure it was originally named Phoenix. I remember installing it under that name when I was a teenager.

Correct. It was Phoenix Technologies, who I know most from their PC BIOS firmware, who made Mozilla change the Phoenix name to something else. So Mozilla switched to the authentically original name "Firebird". lul

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

Thanks for subscribing to FIREFOX FACTS

DID YOU KNOW

Firefox was originally named Firebird, but had to change its name due to a lawsuit they settled with Pontiac.

unsubscribe

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Last Chance posted:

unsubscribe

Thank you for updating your subscription preferences. Please allow up to 10 business days for us to completely remove you from our system.

DID YOU KNOW
Firefox refers to a mythical animal, le renard fuego, which terrorized communities on what is now the border between France and Spain. Le renard fuego was, according to folklore, a fox with nine tails that was responsible for bad dreams and kitchen grease fires.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

unsubscribe firefox-facts

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

unsubscribe firefox-facts

Thank you for updating your subscription preferences. Please allow up to 10 business days for us to completely remove you from our system.

DID YOU KNOW
Mozilla, developers of Firefox, maintain a shelter for abused foxes on their business campus in Lincoln, Nebraska. They only upgrade a full version number when a new fox pup is born. This is known as vulpine versioning and is commonly used in open source software projects.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
to: yospos-all
subject: re: re: re: unsubscribe

please remove me from this mailing list too

Well Played Mauer posted:

DID YOU KNOW
Mozilla, developers of Firefox, maintain a shelter for abused foxes on their business campus in Lincoln, Nebraska. They only upgrade a full version number when a new fox pup is born. This is known as vulpine versioning and is commonly used in open source software projects.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Thank you for this interaction! Because you have interacted with our products and/or services, you have been opted into our mailing lists due to this ongoing business relationship. As an added bonus, we have also opted you in to receiving special offers from our partners!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You know what I want when looking at my bookmarked threads? A Reply All button.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Antigravitas posted:

You know what I want when looking at my bookmarked threads? A Reply All button.
boy have i got good news for you
https://github.com/talwrii/curlfire

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Joshua-Ashton posted:

Revert "video: Prefer Wayland over X11 (take 2!)"

Description

This reverts commit f9f7db4

Wayland has a myriad of unresolved problems regarding surface suspension blocking presentation and the FIFO (vsync) implementation being fundamentally broken leading to reduced GPU-bound performance.

That is not to say "we should fix FIFO in Mesa/other drivers," but rather that it is completely unfixable without an additional protocol, in this case fifo-v11.

Without this protocol, vkQueuePresent or glSwapBuffers must stall for the 'frame' callback after presenting an image. The only reason we can get away with this on SteamOS is because Gamescope implements what is essentially fifo-v1 and we use that there.

The other side is surface suspension -- a very similar issue to the above wrt the frame callback being used in that way and blocking. If the SDL window is obscured, vkQueuePresent will block in FIFO, which games typically do NOT like. This is solved by the combination of fifo-v1 and commit-timing-v1.

There is no advantage to games and average applications preferring Wayland over X11 -- only severe performance and unusability regressions right now.
Thus, we must revert this change until fifo-v1 and commit-timing-v1 are released and at least in a stable release for major compositors.

a little while until wayland is there for gaming then

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

or maybe use gamescope for everything

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is a fun thread to read, with the many people coming out of the woodwork repeating the take "no no, we need to make things be broken for *signaling* reasons!"

the core devs have enough sense to opt for having things work though.

e: i would also be really entertained if gamescope became a general good option, as afaik it is a pretty radical hack. in general it'd have been fun if there'd been more linux dists/stacks taking the "we're grabbing whatever works" approach, as i suspect a massaged android graphics stack would have beaten wayland to relevance down that route.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 27, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been gaming on wayland for over a year now and it works fine because games/proton still all run through xwayland anyway

i also really like that wayland kwin throttles apps on inactive desktops, means that if i i have to do something while playing, it makes the machine go basically idle. but apparently this is bad?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truga posted:

i've been gaming on wayland for over a year now and it works fine because games/proton still all run through xwayland anyway

i also really like that wayland kwin throttles apps on inactive desktops, means that if i i have to do something while playing, it makes the machine go basically idle. but apparently this is bad?

defaulting to xwayland to keep things working is indeed the point here.

and, yeah, just blocking the rendering thread is indeed bad, primarily because it doesn't work for tons of poo poo (i.e. a lot of games just crashing or otherwise getting screwed up, since that's not how things behave anywhere else), but it is also kind of dumb design that compositors take on power saving policy, and implement it by entirely blocking a thread in an application at an undocumented point (indeed for vulkan it is documented that this *must* *not* happen). it is the schedulers job to decide about that stuff, and no scheduler has historically worked like "oh, you did x, but i don't think x is meaningful at this point, so you'll just never run again now, no matter what you intended to do after the nop of x".

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

defaulting to xwayland to keep things working is indeed the point here.

and, yeah, just blocking the rendering thread is indeed bad, primarily because it doesn't work for tons of poo poo (i.e. a lot of games just crashing or otherwise getting screwed up, since that's not how things behave anywhere else), but it is also kind of dumb design that compositors take on power saving policy, and implement it by entirely blocking a thread in an application at an undocumented point (indeed for vulkan it is documented that this *must* *not* happen). it is the schedulers job to decide about that stuff, and no scheduler has historically worked like "oh, you did x, but i don't think x is meaningful at this point, so you'll just never run again now, no matter what you intended to do after the nop of x".

that really does sound extremely wayland tho

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so what you're saying is, kwin should have full access to the scheduler instead?

idk if that's a great idea, they can't even make games run right lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The compositor giving scheduling hints seems to me like a good idea actually. The compositor knows which applications are currently being shown or even active, and those should absolutely be given priority over other tasks.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
is there a fork of librewolf that doesn't make it sound like i'm installing something for furries

not that i really have anything against furries, the name just sounds... ehh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Truga posted:

so what you're saying is, kwin should have full access to the scheduler instead?

idk if that's a great idea, they can't even make games run right lol

the reasoning might not be the same but i think this is what microsoft ended up doing with aero. i remember testing longhorn (vista) on a not terribly old at the time pentium m laptop with a GMA 900, and after installing a new build aero suddenly wasn't supported. turned out that was because the GMA 900 doesn't have a scheduler but the GMA 950 does

e: of course they reversed course a few years later and now you can have aero without any gpu at all :argh: but that solution is very very similar to LLVMpipe, so i guess i can't really complain. on that note they should try and shoot for what MS does with that (WARP10+) and have it render whatever the actual gpu can't

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 27, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i mean, i'd love it if window managers could just suspend or highly limit cpu cycles to apps that aren't on the desktop right now, but you know it'd be a massive nightmare for years after such a change because poo poo like pipewire also isn't on the desktop while being in the desktop session process tree

seeing how gpu usage is like 80% of the load on your normal desktop pc, just preventing something from rendering as much was probably the easiest and fastest solution lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, firefox is also furry as hell, people just got used to it lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

the reasoning might not be the same but i think this is what microsoft ended up doing with aero. i remember testing longhorn (vista) on a not terribly old at the time pentium m laptop with a GMA 900, and after installing a new build aero suddenly wasn't supported. turned out that was because the GMA 900 doesn't have a scheduler but the GMA 950 does

e: of course they reversed course a few years later and now you can have aero without any gpu at all :argh: but that solution is very very similar to LLVMpipe, so i guess i can't really complain. on that note they should try and shoot for what MS does with that (WARP10+) and have it render whatever the actual gpu can't

i think you're thinking of the introduction of the os gpu scheduler, which indeed happened with vista (wddm 1.0), before that as far as i know the gpu driver just did something unknowable (and usually real dumb) about multiple applications using it. windows *also* does scheduling based on which windows are active, has since 95 i think, but i think the advantages there are modest (done more for interactivity than for energy saving).

more generally obviously pausing and then tombstoning background applications is indeed how you'd do anything new today, but you then need a proper infrastructure and api for application lifecycles (akin to ios or android), and you're not going to make existing programs play nice with that without great effort. waylands approach on that is a really crude middle ground which fails to make sense both as an application lifecycle thing and as a "classic desktop" thing. i expect it'll get fixed though, and indeed workarounds exist. it is annoying how long what i view as severe blockers take to work their way through though.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Truga posted:

i mean, i'd love it if window managers could just suspend or highly limit cpu cycles to apps that aren't on the desktop right now, but you know it'd be a massive nightmare for years after such a change because poo poo like pipewire also isn't on the desktop while being in the desktop session process tree

seeing how gpu usage is like 80% of the load on your normal desktop pc, just preventing something from rendering as much was probably the easiest and fastest solution lol

idk, i think something like an experimental fork might not be too bad. development could track the main branch but try out poo poo that could have a decent chance of extremely breaking poo poo. i mean, i might be wrong on this but the last couple of posts indicates they are basically already doing that by blocking rendering threads for occluded windows. suspending the cpu thread would just be a bonus, suspending the process and the rendering thread simultaneously would probably mean the suspended app would have no idea it was suspended

e: lol i started writing one sentence and ended it with something completely different, i need caffeine

e2: on second thought i don't think the window manager even necessarily needs to be able to do this? linux has had job control for, uh, ever, so long as it's your process (or you're privileged)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 27, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i think you're thinking of the introduction of the os gpu scheduler, which indeed happened with vista (wddm 1.0),

you might be right, it has been *checks watch* 21 years?! when the gently caress did that happen

windows *also* does scheduling based on which windows are active, has since 95 i think, but i think the advantages there are modest (done more for interactivity than for energy saving).

more generally obviously pausing and then tombstoning background applications is indeed how you'd do anything new today, but you then need a proper infrastructure and api for application lifecycles (akin to ios or android), and you're not going to make existing programs play nice with that without great effort. waylands approach on that is a really crude middle ground which fails to make sense both as an application lifecycle thing and as a "classic desktop" thing. i expect it'll get fixed though, and indeed workarounds exist. it is annoying how long what i view as severe blockers take to work their way through though.

lol yeah. i wrote my previous post as you were writing yours, but it seems like we're on the same page

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

a little while until wayland is there for gaming then

nah, it's there now. the surface suspension problem is present when running via xwayland too, and the native backend gives a much better experience when using a scaled desktop or the nvidia drivers. switching user facing defaults, even temporarily, always runs the risk of "ok, it's 8 months later and the fix we've been waiting for is ready, but, whoops, switching now breaks existing applications, so we're stuck with this forever"

Antigravitas posted:

The compositor giving scheduling hints seems to me like a good idea actually. The compositor knows which applications are currently being shown or even active, and those should absolutely be given priority over other tasks.

the frame callback really just means "you can submit another buffer now, if you want", which is fine for traditional windowed apps that are only redrawn occasionally. the problem is that it ends up being used for frame timing, but it isn't actually tied to when presentation happens, as it can be called at any time earlier or later in the frame, skip frames, or never be called at all depending on the whims of the compositor.

the wayland frame callback mechanism is one of those things that probably sounded very nice and elegant 15 years ago when it was being designed, but wound up being a terrible idea in hindsight. it's fine to provide it for applications that want to draw like it's 1993 and they're WM_PAINT-ing, but let games, video players, and such use a modern fifo presentation system. the windowing system was already updated to tell applications when they are occluded or otherwise aren't visible so they can easily suspend themselves if they want, now they just need to stop forcing it on them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

they can easily suspend themselves if they want, now they just need to stop forcing it on them.
that means that every app has to do power saving by itself, which is *never* happening lol

e: like, games already release 30%+ unfinished, nobody's gonna code a frame limiter for when you alttab lmao

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Truga posted:

Look at systemd-cgls. Odds are your system already scopes per-service and per-application, including putting session services into a background and session slice, having applications in their own slice and with scopes for each application. A lot of the heavy lifting is already done on a modern desktop.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
so is job control just not an option here because of the way the process group is split into scopes, or for some other reason? sending something SIGSTOP should just, well, pause it until it gets SIGCONT... right??

or am i just babbling here

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

so is job control just not an option here because of the way the process group is split into scopes, or for some other reason? sending something SIGSTOP should just pause it until it gets SIGCONT... right??

or am i just babbling here

what if it’s a networked application or a music player or something else that requires background activity?

what if someone or something else sends SIGCONT or SIGSTOP while it’s running? Should the compositor ignore previous state? And how would the user know enough to call SIGSTOP and SIGCONT on the application to get it to behave correctly again?

I think a lot of applications would rather block than receive signals. And I think SIGSTOP and SIGCONT should probably be used judiciously rather than a routine action by a service.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

of course, the real joke is that all business applications will be written in javascript and execute in a chrome container so any changes to the rendering pipeline on the client will only need to be done in one place (plus a couple years for those changes to percolate)

what about games, you say?

Truga posted:

games already release 30%+ unfinished, nobody's gonna code a frame limiter for when you alttab lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

what if it’s a networked application or a music player or something else that requires background activity?

what if someone or something else sends SIGCONT or SIGSTOP while it’s running? Should the compositor ignore previous state? And how would the user know enough to call SIGSTOP and SIGCONT on the application to get it to behave correctly again?

I think a lot of applications would rather block than receive signals. And I think SIGSTOP and SIGCONT should probably be used judiciously rather than a routine action by a service.

well i know signals can only be sent to process groups, control isn't that granular. but i suppose you could have background activity split into a different process altogether and have it keep its own queue of poo poo that needs to be sent to the "parent" process on SIGCONT

which, yes, is stupid, but it would probably work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
but either way we were talking about occluded windows suspending their rendering threads while still having the process itself running. background tasks tend to not have any windows?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

that means that every app has to do power saving by itself, which is *never* happening lol

games, no, but a lot of applications do. maybe not windows apps, since there's no easy way to do this (go look at the mess firefox and chrome have to do to try and figure out if they are occluded on windows)

it becomes a problem when applications (games mostly) don't expect to just suddenly stop rendering or be throttled to 1hz and break down, time-out, etc… sdl's internal egl present function has a hacked-up mess to keep things running at around 20hz if the frame callback stops for this reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
modern windows apps can definitely manage power saving, but i'm not sure how they do it. i imagine most of them do it manually since they might be running on (relatively) old windows

but for example every time i try edge on windows it tells me to enable its "green mode" or whatever, and it is somewhat granular in what it does to achieve power savings. but since enabling that fully also has edge start with the computer as a background process, lol no thanks

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

modern windows apps can definitely manage power saving, but i'm not sure how they do it. i imagine most of them do it manually since they might be running on (relatively) old windows

but for example every time i try edge on windows it tells me to enable its "green mode" or whatever, and it is somewhat granular in what it does to achieve power savings. but since enabling that fully also has edge start with the computer as a background process, lol no thanks

firefox and chrome do this on windows by hooking into the windows of all other applications so they can build a grid of windows and figure out if their window is currently occluded by others

https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:ui/aura/native_window_occlusion_tracker_win.cc

on mac and wayland the desktop does all of this for you, so you just listen for the occluded/suspended message and react accordingly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ive never looked into it, but presumably uwp and winui have the full application lifecycle infrastructure for actually doing power saving in a principled way (all that worked fine in wp, and for all their failures microsoft will not usually throw that kind of thing out)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

who the hell comes up with these names? bing? edge? did ballmer even have a hand in the edge name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

max my bing while I edge