Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I find it funny how many "stealth" quests this game has when you have to literally smack into someone for them to notice you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What was in the base game of dd1 thats missing here? Were there more vocations? I never got that very far in the first game

There were 9 vocations in DD1, but DD2 has 10 vocations. However, DD2 has trickster which is... loving weird, and warfarer which isn't really its own vocation, imho. We "lost" the assassin which was red/yellow and they swapped the GOAT mystic knight with the mystic spearhand, which actually is fine.

DD1 also currently has BBI which is a big deal, but that was added in the DLC. Maybe they have something similar for DD2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It rules because games not build around stealth shouldn't bother with their lovely painful stealth systems that they half rear end and shove in their otherwise non-stealth focused game. It owned that during the palace quests I could still just run around and rob the place blind like everywhere else in the game. My "prison break" was walking in, unlocking the door, and walking out with the dude lol

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Broken Cog posted:

I find it funny how many "stealth" quests this game has when you have to literally smack into someone for them to notice you.

I don't think DD2 actually has a stealth mechanic. Kinda like it doesn't have a property mechanic - you can just walk everywhere and take everything. You may get a random dialogue line about how you don't belong somewhere, but it doesn't seem to matter?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jokes posted:

There were 9 vocations in DD1, but DD2 has 10 vocations. However, DD2 has trickster which is... loving weird, and warfarer which isn't really its own vocation, imho. We "lost" the assassin which was red/yellow and they swapped the GOAT mystic knight with the mystic spearhand, which actually is fine.

Did we actually lose anything Assassin had?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I swapped the trigger and bumper functions very early on and have no regrets. Both left and right side.

It's great the game lets you customize the controller mapping directly in-game since all of the prompts and tutorials then switch to show the right inputs to use.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

My multiple infiltrations of the palace have consisted of slapping on Marcher’s armor and sprinting around slamming in to every wall like the goblin I am. Sometimes also slamming in to every guard in my quest to loot the place dry and also finish the quest, I guess.

Master of stealth.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, a vocation that mixed physical ranged with physical melee. You have to pick between them, or go warfarer. Assassin ruled

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jokes posted:

Yeah, a class that mixed physical ranged with physical melee. You have to pick between them, or go warfarer.

Uhh...that's a "no" then?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

not really, thief is basically perfectly functional for the job. i think it was a good change to split strider as well

jokes posted:

Yeah, a class that mixed physical ranged with physical melee. You have to pick between them, or go warfarer.

DD1 had 3 classes that did that and i think the game is better for just turning that into 2 separate classes

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Propaganda Hour posted:

I don't think DD2 actually has a stealth mechanic. Kinda like it doesn't have a property mechanic - you can just walk everywhere and take everything. You may get a random dialogue line about how you don't belong somewhere, but it doesn't seem to matter?

You can actually be discovered when breaking into places you're not supposed to be. I had some guards attack me in the Vernworth Gaol after they literally walked into me while I was talking with a prisoner.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warfarer lets you mix anything and doesn't give you specific augments/skills like Assassin did. You just mix and match others. Assassin had a bunch of weird poo poo like throwing explosives and invisibility. It's not that DD1's system is better but they definitely iterated out some cool poo poo. Like Magick Archer's dagger skills where you blow poo poo up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

jokes posted:

DD1 also currently has BBI which is a big deal, but that was added in the DLC. Maybe they have something similar for DD2.

I do wonder what they could have put in the "gaps" of classes.

For base classes, we have one strength class (fighter), two dex classes (thief/archer), and one int class (mage). But then only fighter and mage get advanced classes (warrior/sorc). I assume that this is due to the fact that we have two base dex classes. I wonder what the advanced dex class would be, if there was one.

I also think it is interesting that we get two int/dex hybrids (trickster and magic archer) and one int/str hybrid (mystic spearhand) but no str/dex hybrids.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

jokes posted:

Yeah, a vocation that mixed physical ranged with physical melee. You have to pick between them, or go warfarer. Assassin ruled

We should all hone our skills arisen, a jack of all trades is a master of none. Imo there's not really a need for it outside of warfarer because all the melee classes I've played have had solid gap closing mechanics and if you're playing melee classes you should have at least one ranged pawn anyway. You just have to hope that you don't wind up with an archer pawn with nothing but poo poo abilities for say, a fight with a big lad on the ancient battlefield, for instance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly, the fact that most people in DD1 talked about magick archer and mystic knight so much probably made capcom decide to work on those and abandon Assassin/ranger.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Broken Cog posted:

You can actually be discovered when breaking into places you're not supposed to be. I had some guards attack me in the Vernworth Gaol after they literally walked into me while I was talking with a prisoner.

Weird! Did you bump into a guard for that to happen? Did they start a dialogue line, or just start swinging?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

jokes posted:

Warfarer lets you mix anything and doesn't give you specific augments/skills like Assassin did. You just mix and match others. Assassin had a bunch of weird poo poo like throwing explosives and invisibility. It's not that DD1's system is better but they definitely iterated out some cool poo poo. Like Magick Archer's dagger skills where you blow poo poo up.

Can't you more or less replicate assassin using warfarer with a mix of thief, archer, and fighter abilities?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Weird! Did you bump into a guard for that to happen? Did they start a dialogue line, or just start swinging?

I'm not sure why, but during the magistrate quest the two guards patrolling the cells attacked me on sight, so I had to do some janky stealth hiding behind the columns to get the guy

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I also was able to just waltz around the gaol and palace grounds without a disguise or any stealth and the guards just ignored me :shrug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Propaganda Hour posted:

They bumped into me while I was in a dialogue with one of the prisoners, and started swinging. I basically ignored them because they never reacted before while I was running around the castle, or when I was breaking out the Magistrate.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The guards started attacking me while I was in the forbidden lab in Battahl and I was really confused, because I had already been in there looting all the rooms for a good 10 minutes before it started happening. Nobody even tried to stop me or warn me before walking right in, which kinda seems like it should be a prerequisite before attempting to kill you!

Smokebite
May 18, 2017
I don't know about openly looting the palace at night, but as soon as I nabbed the magistrate during the quest the guards immediately went hostile, forcing me to kill them before hoofing it out of there with the magistrate over my back

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Smokebite posted:

I don't know about openly looting the palace at night, but as soon as I nabbed the magistrate during the quest the guards immediately went hostile, forcing me to kill them before hoofing it out of there with the magistrate over my back
You don't have to actually grab him - I just got him to follow me out and nobody went hostile

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm nowhere near as far along as other folks in this chat it seems but I'm plugging along. I'm level 21, just tried doing The quest with the Dullahan. Here's how that went.

1) Get the quest. Think 'a Dullahan sounds really hard, I should wait until later'
2) See the quest is timed.
3) Try to rush to the quest location.
4) Fight a Minotaur. Die.
5) Fight a Minotaur. Win.
6) Run from a Drake.
7) Run from a Griffon.
8) Fall in the water about 10 times trying to get the area where the fight is actually happening because the part of the map where the quest is is surrounded by water, can't be properly mapped and has the visibility of a snowstorm at night."
9) Clear out an entire cave thinking it's a route to where the fight is happening.
10) Get to the Dullahan, fail to hurt it in any meaningful way. Quest NPC dies.
11) Revive the wrong NPC with a wakestone.
12) Revive the right NPC with a wakestone. I'm out of wakestones.

Also the King of the Beggers quest is the dullest poo poo ever. Sat around and waited for him in the town square just to miss him running off to the bar. Hang around in the bar for 15 minutes until he runs off. Then I promptly lose him and can't reload to try again.

This game can be hard to love sometimes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Propaganda Hour posted:

My tinfoil hat take is that DD2 has benefited as a sort of “halo effect” from the phenomenon of Helldivers 2, a game where “wait is this actually working as it should” and “hmmm they didn’t really think this through” basically become features which enhance the game’s mystique. Folks are primed to be generous toward a messy game with can-do spirit.

If you decide to read the Marcher armor’s brief descriptions using your Dark Souls brain you can take a hint that it allows for social stealth, but does it really? I don’t actually know, and the lack of savescumming means that you can’t really afford to gently caress around in order to find out. It’s definitely got the aura of a game where stealth might be gestured toward but just… not work. Getting into the dungeon in the first city was goofy, no real feedback to choices, no indication that I was doing anything right or anything at all, really. Does my accounting for mechanics which might not actually be there a merit to the game? Idk.

From any objective distance this game is jank city, and like a lot of jank games its ambitions and semi-accidental system interactions make it feel novel even with its many rough edges. But it’s kind of weird to see ppl coming around on this specific game as a deliberate, holistic work without the reservations you’d see with like, Kenshi or Arcanum (which this game REALLY reminds me of)

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It seems I completely missed the dullahan quest, but there's an NPC who comments about how a lord wanted the watch captain's wife so he ordered the captain to go fight a dullahan. Rip that guy I guess.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
For all the palace stealth missions (except the masquerade obv) I used the full marchers set and then jumped out the window of whatever room had the quest item. I remembered palace stealth in DD1 being really finicky for the meetup with Aeliniore and didn't want to take any chances running around or bumping into guards.

Thundarr posted:

It seems I completely missed the dullahan quest, but there's an NPC who comments about how a lord wanted the watch captain's wife so he ordered the captain to go fight a dullahan. Rip that guy I guess.

You can probably still do it. I triggered the quest totally by accident because I also heard someone mention the lord way earlier and then the captain's wife approached me as I was looting her house iirc. I think it's only timed once you trigger the actual quest with her.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 27, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thundarr posted:

RIP Gregor, you seemed a good dude

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Professor Beetus posted:

RIP Gregor, you seemed a good dude

Saw a harpy on a cliff and tried to dive bomb it, falling into the brine, RIP

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:

Thundarr posted:

You can talk to his wife in the noble district and she gives you the quest to save him

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

yeah it seems to be gaols where they get most upset. i was wandering around battahl early and went into the forbidden magick research area and no one cared i was there until i found the tunnel going to the gaol, then suddenly i had to kill the 3 guards in there. leaving back through the forbidden magick area no one cared

jokes posted:

Honestly, the fact that most people in DD1 talked about magick archer and mystic knight so much probably made capcom decide to work on those and abandon Assassin/ranger.
? the chunk of people talking about magick archer were min-maxers who just spent their time posting about it rather than playing, strider all the way.

Basic Chunnel posted:

My tinfoil hat take is that DD2 has benefited as a sort of “halo effect” from the phenomenon of Helldivers 2, a game where “wait is this actually working as it should” and “hmmm they didn’t really think this through” basically become features which enhance the game’s mystique. Folks are primed to be generous toward a messy game with can-do spirit.

If you decide to read the Marcher armor’s brief descriptions using your Dark Souls brain you can take a hint that it allows for social stealth, but does it really? I don’t actually know, and the lack of savescumming means that you can’t really afford to gently caress around in order to find out. It’s definitely got the aura of a game where stealth might be gestured toward but just… not work. Getting into the dungeon in the first city was goofy, no real feedback to choices, no indication that I was doing anything right or anything at all, really. Does my accounting for mechanics which might not actually be there a merit to the game? Idk.

From any objective distance this game is jank city, and like a lot of jank games its ambitions and semi-accidental system interactions make it feel novel even with its many rough edges. But it’s kind of weird to see ppl coming around on this specific game as a deliberate, holistic work without the reservations you’d see with like, Kenshi or Arcanum (which this game REALLY reminds me of)
i mean we have dragons dogma 1 to work with to see designer intent and everything in 2 was in that game just a bit more sloppy

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Secret Agent Cow posted:

You can talk to his wife in the noble district and she gives you the quest to save him

I did pass by that lady and she told me about it but I never got a quest for it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

a lot of this is because DD2's combat is passable-to-good depending on how much you value visual clarity and overall challenge, whereas arcanum's combat is an active hindrance to enjoying it if you don't excise it entirely

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i mean we have dragons dogma 1 to work with to see designer intent and everything in 2 was in that game just a bit more sloppy

yeah, like, DD2 is a very clear distillation and refinement of what the DD1 team was going for with the benefit of hindsight and a larger budget

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is a role playing game. I do not know or care whether the game has stealth systems. If they definitely had them, I would play the same way as I did without them - not getting caught, ever. I crepy around the palace avoiding guards and hiding in books so they could pass on patrols.

The quest says to sneak in, not just walk to map marker like it's Skyrim, so I snuck in. The game having stealth systems or not has no bearing on whether you can play like you're sneaking.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I got attacked for looting a chest in the goal basement. The guards walking around didn't seem to pay attention to me until then. I ran away and waited a minute or so and they promptly forgot all about it and ignored me while I finished the quest to talk to the guy there.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The (assumed?) minigame of “pick the dungeon lock while you’re not in enemy LOS” feels really stupid in this game even when the basic scenario in like, PoE2 was the same and didn’t faze me. There’s something about the closer perspective, but also the fact that there’s no feedback, at all, about what’s going on or what might happen.

Even Elder Scrolls titles, for all their immersion-breaking “put a pot on this guy’s head and rob him blind while he stands there” scenarios, had NPCs track you with facing to let you know you were being watched. PoE2 had LOS indicators, to tell you that a guy walking back in forth in a dungeon in the exact same manner as DD2 NPCs, was on the lookout.

It’s nearly the exact same thing, a guy walking a two-point circuit , but it feels so much more janky in DD2. It might be that I’m watching that circuit from closer than isometric perspective, it might be that DD2 guards don’t seem to idle at either of their two points, so it looks like they’re getting their steps in rather than being watchful. They feel less like characters I’m outsmarting and more like laser tripwires on a track. It’s janky, in other words.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Khanstant posted:

This is a role playing game. I do not know or care whether the game has stealth systems. If they definitely had them, I would play the same way as I did without them - not getting caught, ever. I crepy around the palace avoiding guards and hiding in books so they could pass on patrols.

The quest says to sneak in, not just walk to map marker like it's Skyrim, so I snuck in. The game having stealth systems or not has no bearing on whether you can play like you're sneaking.

imo the castle sneak thing is funniest because the guard that guides you there the first time drops you at the worst entrance for it, if you go behind the castle there's a turret staircase that never seems to have guards in it and you dont have to walk through the greathall. honestly the castle security is really lovely. embarassing-rear end royal guardsmen

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If there is a 3rd game, I would like to see more mechanics that allow the player to gently caress with the world and cause shenanigans. The ability to steal everything not bolted down, and have there be consequences for that like in other open world RPGs, such as Bethesda games, might be cool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sloober posted:

imo the castle sneak thing is funniest because the guard that guides you there the first time drops you at the worst entrance for it, if you go behind the castle there's a turret staircase that never seems to have guards in it and you dont have to walk through the greathall. honestly the castle security is really lovely. embarassing-rear end royal guardsmen

the reason she drops you there is because there's a full guardsman's set in a chest right behind the door, and they were hoping you'd intuit you could put on the full guard set and then walk around with impunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

poor ol’ pawn, thought of free will and brined