Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Capisano posted:

Upgrading from Galaxy S21ultra to a Pixel 8. In the past people have said it's not good to leave a phone plugged in all day and it can mess with the battery.

I'm a truck driver so my phone will sit in a holder on my dashboard for 10+ hours a day and it's a wireless charger. With a modern phone and battery is that still a concern?

The only thing I'd say is that, depending on what your phone is doing while sitting on the charger, it might get pretty toasty. My car has a built-in wireless charger, and when I do a longer trip using Android Auto with the phone on the charger it gets pretty warm. Not like bursting into flames or anything, but warm enough I figure it is probably reducing the efficiency of both the phone and the battery. I don't think it's a huge deal, and really does seem to mostly involve Android Auto.

Because of this I'll keep my phone in my pocket most of the time, unless I know it's low or want to make sure it has a decent charge when I stop driving, so make relatively sparing use of the charger.

This is highly anecdotal, based on my Pixel 6 in my Hyundai's charger, so take it with a certain grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
^ I have experienced a similar thing with the heat, and when it's particularly sunny out, I will sometimes get a warning that the phone is overheating. Just keep temperature in mind if ya can.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I got a magsafe case for my Pixel and it sits on a wireless charger from like 10pm-10am. I have noticed no ill-effects.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Samsung has recentlyish added a limiter you can enable that makes it stop at 80 or 85% charge, maybe the pixel has the same? AccuBattery can do the same if not. I don't know if this is super important but it seems to be becoming 'a thing'.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Aware posted:

maybe the pixel has the same?

Similar. Adaptive Charging.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7106961?visit_id=638469247179624489-916449495&p=adaptive_charging&rd=1#adaptive_charging

Learns when you charge and when you use and switches to slow charging when it can (eg, plugging in when you sleep).

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I've been looking at the Galaxy Z Fold, but I'm not sure I could justify paying for a new one. Any advice on shopping for pre-owned specimens? Which generation should I look for to avoid the issues with the early folding OLED screens, yet get something approaching a reasonable price?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

I've been looking at the Galaxy Z Fold, but I'm not sure I could justify paying for a new one. Any advice on shopping for pre-owned specimens? Which generation should I look for to avoid the issues with the early folding OLED screens, yet get something approaching a reasonable price?

I got my Fold 3 on eBay for a great deal and it worked perfectly. I think you'll do well with the 3, I had no problems with the performance or battery at all, same with the folding

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The USB port on my Galaxy S20 has been getting worse and worse. (This is the second or third galaxy this has happened to me on, what the gently caress Samsung.) Looks like a diy replacement is pretty easy, so I'm game. The one thing I'm noticing when looking at the replacement parts is that they're referring to various S20 models that are all a permutation on my G981 - G981B, U, V etc. If my phone is a G981V, will a replacement port labeled for a G981B/U still work?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Have you tried cleaning out the USB port? You'd be amazed how much gunk you can pull out with one of those plastic flossers with a toothpick on the end.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah agreed. Thought my last one was busted and that was an embarrassing mistake.

Still sold me on wireless charging though.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

teethgrinder posted:

Still sold me on wireless charging though.

Same here, not needing to cycle a pressed fit coupling just to charge the phone is awesome and is just as much a benefit as the convenience.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Question about how the call history works in the phone app.

Google Pixel 7, stock.

I have been playing phone tag with someone and went to check when I last called and they last called (we went back and forth at least 4 times today) but it's only got the most recent entry in the list. I went to the three-dot menu and tapped call history, but it's giving me the same thing. I didn't see any relevant settings and am unable to craft a search term that doesn't return garbage.

Is there any way to see a full list of all calls?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In the "recents" section, tap the name/number of the call whose info you want to see.

Then tap on History.

Sorry, imgur is giving me trouble uploading screenshots.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
It looks like Galaxy AI will come to the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.

https://news.samsung.com/global/new-one-ui-6-1-update-brings-galaxy-ai-to-more-galaxy-devices

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Uthor posted:

In the "recents" section, tap the name/number of the call whose info you want to see.

Then tap on History.

Sorry, imgur is giving me trouble uploading screenshots.

Oh man, I've been burned by tapping the caller name and having it dial the number so many times in the past that I 100% didn't even think to try that. Thanks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So InTune decided my battery is the tastiest thing in the world. Guess who gets paused unless I'm actively checking my mail, now?

Like seriously. Phone just sitting on the desk untouched. Pick it up and warm to the touch.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All corporate work apps seem optimised to gently caress your battery as much as possible

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Failed Imagineer posted:

All corporate work apps seem optimised to gently caress your battery as much as possible

Yeah, but something definitely changed to increase the fuckery dramatically in the last couple of days.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Failed Imagineer posted:

They are optimized for the creator of the apps and not the consumers unfortunately.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
google assistant is such garbage

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

crepeface posted:

Lmao

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The other day, my partner and I were in my car and for whatever reason the topic of seizures came up. Somehow Google Assistant got triggered and out of nowhere my car started helpfully giving a lecture about seizures and epilepsy, while I laughed myself into a coughing fit.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

crepeface posted:

time is a lie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

It's kinda embarrassing how Samsung is throwing Google's own AI services on more of their smartphones than Google is. Come on Google, I thought the Tensor SoC was supposed to be all about AI? You've promised this since the Pixel 6 but the only phone that runs an AI model is the Pixel 8 Pro. Samsung runs the on-device AI stuff even on their base model S24s and they are adding AI enhanced cloud features to previous generation devices. At this point Samsung should throw Gemini Nano on the Galaxy S23 to really rub Google's nose in it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone use the I Can't Wake Up! Alarm Clock? I like it a lot but it's recently stopped functioning properly - the delay alarm after the initial alarm I set doesn't work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
happy pixel leak season

https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/27/24113456/google-pixel-9-pro-xl-rumor-leak

quote:

The renders suggest different screen sizes for all three devices:

Pixel 9 Pro XL: 6.5-inch display
Pixel 9 Pro: 6.1-inch display
Pixel 9: 6.03-inch display

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm glad the small-handed people can get their Pros. Looking forward to trading in my Pixel 8 Pro for a Pixel 9 XL because I'm a PIXEL WARRIOR.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

crepeface posted:

They're called helmsmen OP.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

welcome posted:

They're called helmsmen OP.

oh yeah like I'm going to believe what some guy on some dead gay comedy forums says instead of the sum of human knowledge processed and excreted out by a machine process powered by the newest and best technology produced by the finest minds of humanity

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm glad the small-handed people can get their Pros.

I've seen this leak on a few sites now and the comments seem to be generally positive in regards to a small Pro model so I hope it turns out to be the case. I have massive hands so I'm kind of bummed the XL might shrink. I think ideally I'd like the S24 Plus' 19.5:9 6.7in panel.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
3.4" Pixel 10 Micro, WHEN

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

hark posted:

3.4" Pixel 10 Micro, WHEN

would*

*but only if it had 2 day battery

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
ngl I'd get the small pro, the primary reason by far that I get the pro is the camera upgrades, not the massive size

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Here's the thing that bothers me.

The 8 Pro camera setup cannot fit in a smaller chassis, not with the normal camera bar arrangement.

If the 9 Pro that's a similar size to the current Pixel 8 has a triple camera setup, then the sensors are smaller than we currently have. There's no way around that.

So, two possibilities.

1. Google is downgrading the sensor sizes across the board for the cameras in order to achieve parity. Now, if they are using the newer Sony sensors, then maybe it won't matter much, but larger is almost always going to be better when it comes to light gathering. In particular, the Pixel 8 Pro holds a massive advantage over the iPhone 15 Pro and the S24 Ultra in the ultrawide department thanks in no small part to the significantly larger sensor.

2. Google is still going to put the biggest/best sensor arrangement in the Pixel 9 Pro XL and use the Pixel Fold (or similar) sensor stack in the Pixel 9 Pro (smol). On paper it's still going to be 0.6 UW 1x W and 5x telephoto, but with smaller sensors behind them. Pixel has been really leaning into the "hardware behind the scenes" doesn't matter so I could see them doing this as they did something simiiliar with the Fold by touting it as having the same camera setup as the Pixel 7 Pro even though the sensors are much smaller.

Either outcome is going to upset people. #1 is going to have people crying that Google is charging premium flagship hardware but downgrading the sensors. #2 is going to have people once again upset that Google is putting better specs into the larger device despite not inventing TARDIS technology.

I dunno, maybe they found a new way of packaging the modules that elimiates part of the sensor enclosure or shrinks down OIS to accommodate putting the sensors closer together. However, based on the leaked renders (if accurate), I think it's going to be #2 based on the distance between the Wide and UltraWide on both the Smaller Pixel 9 Pro and the Pixel 9 Pro XL. On the smaller device, they are significantly closer together than the larger one. They are closer together than even the Pixel 8 which suggests the cutting down of the main sensor and not just the ultrawide (which is already smaller on the 8).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
okay if bull is right as they usually are, I am getting the massive Pro XL 2000 Deluxe for my Massive Hands

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Have you tried cleaning out the USB port? You'd be amazed how much gunk you can pull out with one of those plastic flossers with a toothpick on the end.

Embarrassing to admit I'm pretty sure this worked. Thanks for the advice!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Embarrassing to admit I'm pretty sure this worked. Thanks for the advice!

I saw someone elsewhere say "if your phone won't charge and in the process of cleaning it you aren't absolutely disgusted by the amount of crud that came out of the charging port, you didn't get it all" and it's been true for me every single time.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Pro-tip, you can buy like 30-50 silicone USB-C covers on Amazon for like $5-10. I bought a bag and just hand them out to friends/coworkers with USB-C phones.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

teethgrinder posted:

Pro-tip, you can buy like 30-50 silicone USB-C covers on Amazon for like $5-10. I bought a bag and just hand them out to friends/coworkers with USB-C phones.

Great, something else for me to nervously pick at in my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Grow a coke nail and you can pick at your USB-C port and skip the cover