Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

GaylordButts posted:

You don't go from ship to ship. You get onto a rocket loaded with Cryopods when you complete training, and then you get loaded into storage on a Super Destroyer until needed. There is no cloning or anything in Helldivers lore, it's just a gameplay contrivance that all your dudes look the same when a new one shows up.

So when we link up with a friend, our Star Destroyer just parks next to theirs and we play as one of their ship's cryo guys? That's the part where I thought they were transport pods, is going to a friend's ship and then me coming out of a chilly tube, I thought they just shot me through the cold void of space onto their ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
defender vs liberator: I personally feel like, although the defender's stats are better on paper, the liberator's higher RoF feels better against groups of squishy bugs(scavs, hunters etc) and the first person sights are better for popping bots at range.

Defender is onehanded, but for carrying a hard drive that's not a big deal when you have a redeemer already and often just sprint all the way to the drop off, and as for firing behind you while running away from something... again, I have a redeemer already.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Reiley posted:

So when we link up with a friend, our Star Destroyer just parks next to theirs and we play as one of their ship's cryo guys? That's the part where I thought they were transport pods, is going to a friend's ship and then me coming out of a chilly tube, I thought they just shot me through the cold void of space onto their ship.

The way I understand it, it's about ordinance coordination.

There are thousands of battlegroups across the surface ( which you can see outside), the destroyer is the main character but can only be in low orbit so long and in order to achieve "pinpoint" orbital accuracy they need boots on the ground (you). So they defrost some microwavable weenies and synchronize their watches by launching at the exact same time as the destroyer drops to low orbit.

But that's just my headcannon

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

BadLlama posted:

If it wasn't so buggy, the Defender + Ballistic Shield is actually pretty good against the bots. Just watch out for missiles.

Missiles are 80 or maybe 90% of deaths against bots though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

johnny park posted:

They oneshot tanks and hit them very reliably, but I haven't had much luck with them vs chargers. Either they miss or they hit but don't kill

Yeah, great against anything slow but not as good at hitting a charger unless it's been stunned or slowed. Works well with the EMS mortar.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Reiley posted:

Yes, really it's another gameplay contrivance to give you a place to run around in at all. In reality, the Democracy Officer would choose where the mission will be, and just launch Helldivers at it until either they complete the mission, or it's starting to cost more dudes than Super Earth was willing to spend so they give up on it. They wouldn't be running around on the bridge picking out armor and whatnot, they'd go directly from cryopod to hellpod like what happens when you are reinforced during a mission.

With that in mind, it's less like your helldivers are teaming up, but rather your Super Destroyers are teaming up to pool their resources on a single mission.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Aren’t the normal super earth military forces like the imperial guard to the helldivers’ space marines and somehow even more disposable

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

My headcanon is that the ship name selection is in fact a super abbreviated personality test: all the divers who picked the same name have identical/compatible personalities and therefore serve on a ship bearing that name. This mitigates the need to retrain crews, because obviously the "Spear of Family Values" batch of helldivers are known to favor suicide by 380mm barrage, and the crew knows that procedure well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Aren’t the normal super earth military forces like the imperial guard to the helldivers’ space marines and somehow even more disposable

Helldiversdon't are believe actually thethe liespremierhelldivers, strongestare military cannonunit fodder in whosethe purpose galaxy is, maybe tothe deliveruniversestratagems.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mesadoram posted:

You can apparently also head shot with it to, found out today that 3 charged shots to the head can kill a Charger.

It always takes me 6 or 7, even lined straight up directly to the face.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I also love the Scorcher, but I do feel like I’m constantly on the hunt for ammo now. Especially when I become the defacto bile spewer popper.

But it’s the only primary that feels like it can handle everything except for Titans.

Plasma Punisher has entered the chat.

Improbable Lobster posted:

This is also why I find it annoying when people insist their characters are clones. They aren't! They're no textual support for cloned Helldivers! They're explicitly random 18 and 19 year olds being sent to die.

Correct! you can even make the voice change randomly every respawn!

Mesadoram posted:

How are the rocket Pods against heavier targets like tanks and chargers?

You need to time them on chargers so they hit when the charger is turning or has just hit a wall and recovering, then pretty decent, otherwise not so much. It's not hard to get used to though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

No, they have actual value and are to be protected. They do important things like build SEAF artillery and sam sites.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don't forget that the only training helldivers receive is "don't get shot by a turret!" and "pick up a gun!"

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I got killed by that turret :(

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Don't forget the battlefield injury simulator

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

BadLlama posted:

I got killed by that turret :(

took me like 3 or 4 tries to do the turret dive correctly in training.
I'm not ashamed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

GaylordButts posted:

Yes, really it's another gameplay contrivance to give you a place to run around in at all. In reality, the Democracy Officer would choose where the mission will be, and just launch Helldivers at it until either they complete the mission, or it's starting to cost more dudes than Super Earth was willing to spend so they give up on it. They wouldn't be running around on the bridge picking out armor and whatnot, they'd go directly from cryopod to hellpod like what happens when you are reinforced during a mission.

With that in mind, it's less like your helldivers are teaming up, but rather your Super Destroyers are teaming up to pool their resources on a single mission.

I would slightly disagree, that part of this entire thing is maintaining Super Earth's insane libertarian ideology. It lets them sell this to their massive population.

Helldivers are the ultimate libertarian military fantasy. It is a corps of "elite" soldiers that are each given command of a warship and personally decide where to fight for Super Earth. Sometimes they collaborate democratically with up to 3 other elite helldivers after "voting" where to infil. They then personally decide how to deploy the immense firepower of the Super Destroyer to fight Super Earth's enemies. They are given expensive weaponry and armor and can choose to zoom around the galaxy inefficiently, wasting fuel if they so choose (until the Democracy Officer domes them in the back of the head for insubordination)

Obviously its all a sham. The available missions are decided by a central group that is choosing strategy, the helldivers themselves are fodder, and Super Earth can let them waste the weaponry and fuel as like the helldivers, they are expendable. Half of the weapons systems are ramshackle gizmos that need significant upgrades in order to even function well, the cannons being "upgraded" to breach loading, as opposed to literal front loading like a Napoleonic cannon.

All of this works because every now and then helldivers do indeed survive missions, and given that their contract locks them in to media appearances, those are the guys they let go home to tell stories of how cool it was being a Helldiver, and are genuinely talking about they personally commanded a Super Destroyer.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 27, 2024

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

my head canon is that when you meet up on another helldiver's ship, they basically push your helldiver out the airlock and have them float in their armor through space to get to that ship. that's why they're frosty when they enter the ship

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Does anyone have that picture of where to actually aim with the AMR crosshair? Someone posted it a ways back and I'd like to see exactly where the point of impact is now that we have bot orders. I can't search it out for the life of me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Hakarne posted:

Does anyone have that picture of where to actually aim with the AMR crosshair? Someone posted it a ways back and I'd like to see exactly where the point of impact is now that we have bot orders. I can't search it out for the life of me.

I don't think this is a perfect solution(actual point they hit might be very slightly right of that corner?), but it mostly works.

Also see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Q37BTA9Qs

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

There are a number of guns where the bullet doesn't actually go where the sight points at. Not sure if realistic gun sperg stuff or mistakes.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

There are a number of guns where the bullet doesn't actually go where the sight points at. Not sure if realistic gun sperg stuff or mistakes.

the ballistics are accurate enough in general i think it's intentional that the sniper rifle with no armorer or gunsmith or expert of any kind on the ship to zero or maintain it is off just enough to be a huge pain if you're trying to be very precise with it

you have to pay for the upgrade to 'technicians can use superglue on loose parts' after all; calipers are right out

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gently caress the AMR for only allowing scoped shooting, by the way. No floating crosshair when normally wielding it is bullshit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Just hip shoot it by eye, like in Red Orchesta.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

atelier morgan posted:

the ballistics are accurate enough in general i think it's intentional that the sniper rifle with no armorer or gunsmith or expert of any kind on the ship to zero or maintain it is off just enough to be a huge pain if you're trying to be very precise with it

you have to pay for the upgrade to 'technicians can use superglue on loose parts' after all; calipers are right out

There's no way the sniper rifle's sights being slightly, infuriatingly off is a deliberate diegetic choice by master game designers. The game is new and buggy and a lot of the ADS stuff is wonky, that's all. The game is immersive and they're committed to their schtick, sure, but let's not go crazy here.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

LazyMaybe posted:

I don't think this is a perfect solution(actual point they hit might be very slightly right of that corner?), but it mostly works.

Also see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Q37BTA9Qs

It's even dumber than you think, going prone and changing positioning changes the offset.

Not my video:
https://medal.tv/games/helldivers-2/clips/20FTd8A_pp5qJo/Wk9IKx2Fctqt?invite=cr-MSx3ZXIsMTU3ODYzOTYwLA?mobilebypass=true

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I also don't think it's intentional but with having a few other sights be so precise, the slugger is kind of hilariously accurate in that it's ads will be right on target when you fire it just a little early and your diver hasn't perfectly centered the gun yet after your previous shot, it would be pretty funny if the actual explicit reason that the AMR sight is off is because it gets jostled a little too hard after being called down in it's pod.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think the main reason bot rockets feel like bullshit is because they're so quiet

they'd get 90% less complaints if they did a super loud woooosh

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

A lot of enemies could do with some better sound design as well, chargers can be like ninjas sometimes. The sound is great in some respects, the music, the weapons mostly sound good, but the enemies and environments are kinda lacking.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, Spewers also have no audio cues outside of either entering siege mode or getting ready to :barf: which really sucks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

make them randomly shriek or bellow like glyphids do

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When the fog touches you, you know you’re hosed and it’s time to book it

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tommy the Newt posted:

A lot of enemies could do with some better sound design as well, chargers can be like ninjas sometimes. The sound is great in some respects, the music, the weapons mostly sound good, but the enemies and environments are kinda lacking.

This is by far my biggest non-technical gripe. Even wearing headphones, it’s far too easy for a half-dozen giant robots with chainsaws for hands to sneak up from behind.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Think it was on reddit or something someone joked-You don't play as a helldiver, you are the ship(that you name) which gets stronger as you level up from your minions/pikmin that you shoot out of your big gun onto the planets.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

This is by far my biggest non-technical gripe. Even wearing headphones, it’s far too easy for a half-dozen giant robots with chainsaws for hands to sneak up from behind.

You can stealth past them, so they get to stealth up to you.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Choosing your loadout is just setting the filters for which helldivers get thawed out, microwaved, and vending-machined to the planet surface

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

LazyMaybe posted:

defender vs liberator: I personally feel like, although the defender's stats are better on paper, the liberator's higher RoF feels better against groups of squishy bugs(scavs, hunters etc) and the first person sights are better for popping bots at range.

Defender is onehanded, but for carrying a hard drive that's not a big deal when you have a redeemer already and often just sprint all the way to the drop off, and as for firing behind you while running away from something... again, I have a redeemer already.
I don't even think the Defender's stats are really that much better on paper: sure, you have more damage per shot, but you also have a lower RoF, and IIRC they basically even out to being roughly the same DPS wise anyway. Really I think that which one someone prefers is going to come down to personal preference on stuff like how much you value one-handed, recoil/aim pattern (something about the way the Defender's aim shifts when shooting on the move causes me to consistently shoot high in a way I never do with the Liberator for example), etc.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

make them randomly shriek or bellow like glyphids do

You've probably seen this, but they should hire this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gN_BXbQl9s

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
My take on the setting is that SEAF is the conventional military that fights large battles, mans the front lines, and takes and holds ground, etc. The job of Helldivers is to do high risk commando missions behind enemy lines. Helldivers are kept separate because it would be bad for morale and a waste of actual experience and talent to send SEAF troops on suicide missions.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Just hip shoot it by eye, like in Red Orchesta.

Video game PTSD has entered the chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah I think the sound quality really lags behind the game’s visual quality. sound attenuation over distance is just weird and it feels like fights happening 60+m away should sound a lot different, enemy audio cues are very inconsistent, and I’d personally like weapon sounds to be a lot more bombastic like they were in HD1. I would really enjoy it if they focused some of the resources they now have due to the game’s overwhelming success on a sound overhaul.