Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

ponzicar posted:

My take on the setting is that SEAF is the conventional military that fights large battles, mans the front lines, and takes and holds ground, etc. The job of Helldivers is to do high risk commando missions behind enemy lines. Helldivers are kept separate because it would be bad for morale and a waste of actual experience and talent to send SEAF troops on suicide missions.

SEAF is the army, Helldivers are the marines, crayon eating and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Plasma punisher is the worst poo poo I hate it so much

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

LazyMaybe posted:

I don't think this is a perfect solution(actual point they hit might be very slightly right of that corner?), but it mostly works.

Also see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Q37BTA9Qs

Thanks!

Edit: Although honestly I much prefer the autocannon on bots so far. Feels like it can do everything the AMR can do plus more (except have a backpack)

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 27, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

definitely reasonably tuned eradicate missions vs cliff cheese the indomitable human spirit

Hakarne posted:

Edit: Although honestly I much prefer the autocannon on bots so far. Feels like it can do everything the AMR can do plus more (except have a backpack)
Having a backpack is very big!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

It's even dumber than you think, going prone and changing positioning changes the offset.

Not my video:
https://medal.tv/games/helldivers-2/clips/20FTd8A_pp5qJo/Wk9IKx2Fctqt?invite=cr-MSx3ZXIsMTU3ODYzOTYwLA?mobilebypass=true
lol at this btw

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I want a backpack that gives my laser cannon even more cooling for even more sustained freedom delivery.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BadLlama posted:

I want a backpack that gives my laser cannon even more cooling for even more sustained freedom delivery.

Does the Supply Pack resupply laser cannon heatsinks?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yes, but wasting supplies is anti-democratic.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

BadLlama posted:

If bugs and bots are dying, is it wasted?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fighting the bots at higher levels doesn't really make me think they're more difficult than the bugs but they really do somehow just accomplish different goals. The way the bots just mass reinforce themselves gives them insane area denial.

If the game is mad at you and does not want you to go into an area on bot missions you are quite simply not going to get in there. It'll just spawn as many dropships as it takes to overwhelm even the most efficient use of stratagems and weaponry. You can drop 4 lasers at once, have 4 mortars, have people firing Recoiless Rifles/Autocannons, drop the most efficient Eagle strikes where every single volley is hitting bots- if the game is angry enough it will quite simply not be enough. You really do just have to gently caress off when the bots don't want you somewhere. I like to visualize some angry ghost in the machine utterly loving seething at me when I do manage to just pulverize the infinite spawns and casually do what I want on the very rare occasion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BadLlama posted:

take Scorcher, problem solved

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

All of this works because every now and then helldivers do indeed survive missions, and given that their contract locks them in to media appearances, those are the guys they let go home to tell stories of how cool it was being a Helldiver, and are genuinely talking about they personally commanded a Super Destroyer.

Is this actually in game/world somewhere? Because if so that's amazing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

Is this actually in game/world somewhere? Because if so that's amazing.

If it's anywhere, it's in the massive Helldiver contract at the end of the tutorial.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Black Noise posted:

The thing about medals is you hit the 250 cap really fast so you do have to spend it on some stuff you don’t want.

Behold my capes.

From a few pages back but is from playing 7/8? I'm a scrub that still needs to do a 6 and I've gotten a lot of medals but I wouldn't call it "really fast".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The mission complete bonuses scale up pretty quick.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Hwurmp posted:

If it's anywhere, it's in the massive Helldiver contract at the end of the tutorial.

That is a legitimately funny bit of writing. drat this game has fun lore tucked away in corners.

The Helldivers' contract posted:

4.1 Unless otherwise stated, the Enlisted shall be solely and exclusively responsible for any and all damages, harm, liability, loss, costs, expenses, craters, atrocities, and crimes (civil, uncivil, war)

https://helldivers.fandom.com/wiki/Helldiver_Contract_of_Employment

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So according to a thing I watched on youtube, the 30% recoil reduction while crouching/prone is also active while standing.

I will need to pay attention to this myself.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Plasma punisher is the worst poo poo I hate it so much

The Plasma Punisher is awesome, but it's not for everyone, that's for sure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Back Hack posted:

The Plasma Punisher is awesome, but it's not for everyone, that's for sure.

ive used it with bugs and it was trash. No close quarter combat, small amount of ammo.

Maybe it's better with robots.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Is Troost unavailable for anyone else? I had this same issue with an order last week with a bug mission where the planet it chose was at 0% liberated and unavailable. The only planet I can select in that sector is Vandalon IV.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

CelticPredator posted:

ive used it with bugs and it was trash. No close quarter combat, small amount of ammo.

Maybe it's better with robots.

it can smash groups of infantry as they come out of a drop ship like a bargain bin grenade launcher. at distance it does work against berserker packs. it smashes scout striders

no cqc is less of an issue, though you will still want something for when berserkers or maybe jetpacks get in your face. I dunno how it fares against devastators

so probably a bit better against bots than bugs overall

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

plasma punisher is cool and good if you are comfortable weapon swapping very often. it basically hard counters brood commanders/hive guards/berserkers and has utility in a lot of other situations, but its really best paired with like an MG or a Stalwart or something to cover its weakness at long range.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Sonel posted:

Is Troost unavailable for anyone else? I had this same issue with an order last week with a bug mission where the planet it chose was at 0% liberated and unavailable. The only planet I can select in that sector is Vandalon IV.

We'll have to liberate Vandalon IV first to get to Troost.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that’s probably the better pick. I honestly don’t bring a support any more and basically use the sickle or the scorcher almost entirely and use strats like the sentries and orbital laser

Mostly because I am not fast at gun switching lol.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Will bot drops always be where the initiating bot fired their flare?

For bugs it's easy to drop an airstrike/orbital on top of the billowing orange smoke, but once that flare is gone, it doesn't seem like there's an easy indicator on where to put a stratagem to wipe out the ship. Or even pre-aim an EAT/Recoiless to try and shortcut the calldown.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah that’s probably the better pick. I honestly don’t bring a support any more and basically use the sickle or the scorcher almost entirely and use strats like the sentries and orbital laser

Mostly because I am not fast at gun switching lol.

You should bring EATs then, it's one of the best "delete big guys" stratagems.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
The bot flare is like the bug belching orange smoke so no. The dropship comes in near enough but not necessarily right on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jokes posted:

You should bring EATs then, it's one of the best "delete big guys" stratagems.

They’re alright I just enjoy using sentry’s lol.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Sonel posted:

the planets are connected by invisible 'supply lines' that are sometimes not intuitive, which dictates what new planets get unlocked once something is liberated

the major orders have placed targets that are not currently available- we have to liberate other planets first to reach them. So even though this order's target is Troost, we need Vandalon (and actually needed to take Ustotu as well)

If you're not sure, just look at the number of players and go with that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

That is a legitimately funny bit of writing. drat this game has fun lore tucked away in corners.

I cracked up at the line painted on the ground at the end of training

:patriot::patriot::patriot:"HEROES ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT":patriot::patriot::patriot:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Helldivers.io is also good for knowing where to go next

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Leaving supply lines off of the in game map feels like a weird decision, especially if they’re giving orders that require pushing through a series of planets to get to the objective. It’s a cool mechanic and showing the connections feels like it ties the galaxy map together more vs. it just feeling like some random selection of planets.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

GaylordButts posted:

We'll have to liberate Vandalon IV first to get to Troost.

Mazerunner posted:

the planets are connected by invisible 'supply lines' that are sometimes not intuitive, which dictates what new planets get unlocked once something is liberated

the major orders have placed targets that are not currently available- we have to liberate other planets first to reach them. So even though this order's target is Troost, we need Vandalon (and actually needed to take Ustotu as well)

If you're not sure, just look at the number of players and go with that.

Guess I'm used to these planets already being available. Thank you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

jokes posted:

gently caress the AMR for only allowing scoped shooting, by the way. No floating crosshair when normally wielding it is bullshit.

It is amazing they chose a lesser evil in spite of all the other "If you don't like throwing your spare mag in the trash instead of the ammo pouch we lovingly rendered on your uniform, you just hate realistic reloading!" stuff.

A lot of games won't even let you shoot your sniper rifle without being scoped in. Helldivers I got a chance to panic fire in 3rd person and kill two hulks before they kill me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Really hoping weapon modding does become a thing. I'm taking the scope off the AMR and adding a laser sight

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The Sickle is fantastic :hmmyes:. I also tried the liberator for a few missions and loved it as well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Really hoping weapon modding does become a thing. I'm taking the scope off the AMR and adding a laser sight

Ya that would make it much better in short-mid range which is one of it's big weakness as a support weapon. Or they need to give some better stealth options for sniping playstyle, perhaps some kind of anti detection radar ala battlefield.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I think I remember seeing some data mined silencer weapon mods? Maybe that was a booster though, or just entirely made up I don't remember.

Flint_Paper posted:

More like Contract of Enjoyment

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Helldivers are our most special forces

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can't use W to move forward while using stratagem anymore. A, S and D still work, just not W. I do have the strat keys set to arrow keys
Anyone else having that issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I posted earlier about a friend having the 'W key no worky for strats' and apparently the issue is Samsung Magician. ... I don't know either.