Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hitler (and the rest of germany) was obsessed with karl may's cowboy and indian books

I just googled that and ended up reading a lengthy article in the New Yorker about it and Germanys love of their version of the Old West which is Native American centric and it ends with a bunch of them asking the author why there wasn't a museum for Native American genocide when we have holocaust one.and he didn't have any response lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yakuza 7 is Persona with adults

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

You know what? I’m happy

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

WampaLord posted:

lol fell over and died

holy poo poo lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

this is why I as a sophisticated adult play games like the system shock remake - specifically games about forgetting where you left things and not understanding what you're looking at when you try to use the computer

If you want to play a Persona game with adults just play Yakuza 7 and Like A Dragon Infinte Wealth

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AmiYumi posted:

suddenly reminded of the multiple channels i have seen make videos like real chinese people try panda express or whatever

the white and american born chinese people are always deeply huffing their own farts about authenticity

the chinese born chinese people enjoy cheap fast food as cheap fast food and are happy to have some rice and noodle slop same as back home

I mean I hope by huffing their own farts you mean dealing with overwhelming and ever present American racism. Makes sense they would be more sensitive to it.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

scary ghost dog posted:

the overlap is because shounen is intended for actual kids and young adults, and isekai is intended for full adults crippled into perpetual childhood by exposure to society, which makes it also popular with kids and young adults. this is typically explicitly called out in the first few pages of any given isekai

Is one of this supposed to be like Bildungsroman?

Shageletic posted:

I mean I hope by huffing their own farts you mean dealing with overwhelming and ever present American racism. Makes sense they would be more sensitive to it.

The first restaurant in any small town is going to be a Chinese restaurant. It's such a cultural phenomenon, there's an exhibit on it at the Royal Alberta Museum and several books. By far, the first part of Chinese culture people embraced was the food, and then textiles and art in the form of Chinoiserie, etc.

Whatever regional dialect was spoken by Chinese in Canada at the turn of the last century had a word like "slop for barbarians", which is what the menu in Canadian Chinese food is still called today. They didn't want to bring authentic Chinese food here, they wanted to give the white people what they wanted.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Mar 27, 2024

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
One is the shows where people yell and power up and then fight each other for a while. The other is the kind where nerds wake up in another world and get a harem of women and do various other cheesy power fantasy things

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

shonen sometimes, isekai almost never

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rest in piss

He played the bad guy but he prob did more than his share in making sure that Medicare wasn't extended to 55 year olds therefore being responsible for the deaths of millions.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

loquacius posted:

:hmmyes:

I say it all the time, the fundamental leftist value is compassion for your fellow man. If you think the typical person is deserving of help from society at large, you are a leftist. If you think their problems are probably their own fault anyway and not your problem, you are a reactionary. Cynicism is good; misanthropy is not.

Be critical of institutions but forgiving of individuals. Same idea.

The problem is when people more and more act as an extension of institutions as opposed to individuals capable of empathy, personal stance, philosophy, etc. I'm certainly not criticizing what you're saying, it's very much in line with my own religious beliefs, but it's hard to live up to those beliefs when I don't feel like I'm dealing with people any more, but rather, apparatchiks of a callous, impersonal, post-human power.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

KomradeX posted:

If you want to play a Persona game with adults just play Yakuza 7 and Like A Dragon Infinte Wealth

Been enjoying yak 0 pretty well. Also that wasn't sarcasm, I adore the system shock remake, I just almost softlocked myself by forgetting where I stashed a plot critical item

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Shonen frequently is. Isekai tends more just to be wish fulfillment, closer to bodice-rippers.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I'm trying to remember the exact words but there are several Chinese food items in Canada named like "soup for white people".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The first restaurant in any small town is going to be a Chinese restaurant. It's such a cultural phenomenon, there's an exhibit on it at the Royal Alberta Museum and several books. By far, the first part of Chinese culture people embraced was the food, and then textiles and art in the form of Chinoiserie, etc.

Whatever regional dialect was spoken by Chinese in Canada at the turn of the last century had a word like "slop for barbarians", which is what the menu in Canadian Chinese food is still called today. They didn't want to bring authentic Chinese food here, they wanted to give the white people what they wanted.

I do have to say except for NYC the best Chinese food I ever have is abroad. African cities that have a chinese population do it insanely well.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

Fair point. I think there's a lot of overlap, but you're right they're distinct genres

To be completely technical, shounen is a demographic and not a genre, Inuyasha is an example of a shounen isekai.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Been enjoying yak 0 pretty well. Also that wasn't sarcasm, I adore the system shock remake, I just almost softlocked myself by forgetting where I stashed a plot critical item

I really enjoyed the remake until I hit Cortex Reavers. My own fault, though, I used too many consumables and grenades/mines on regular-rear end enemies. Haven't yet worked up the energy to go back to it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
there’s a universe where Al Gore didn’t pick Lieberman (because Clinton’s infidelity didn’t happen or wasn’t reported) and went on to win in 2000 and we never got an Obama or Trump presidency

still had the long slow death of the empire due to neoliberalism because, c’mon it’s Gore, so hard to say which is better

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

loquacius posted:

I say it all the time, the fundamental leftist value is compassion for your fellow man. If you think the typical person is deserving of help from society at large, you are a leftist. If you think their problems are probably their own fault anyway and not your problem, you are a reactionary. Cynicism is good; misanthropy is not.

Be critical of institutions but forgiving of individuals. Same idea.

I keep running into cultured and sensitive seeming Gen X professors who describe themselves as "Socially liberal, fiscally conservative" and it's such a contradiction to me at this point it practically throws me into paroxysms.

They have all the compassion in the world as long as it's free and doesn't unbalance the budget.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

be forewarned that if you like yakuza 0 it ain't no guarantee that you're gonna like yakuza 7

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Joementum posted:

there’s a universe where Al Gore didn’t pick Lieberman (because Clinton’s infidelity didn’t happen or wasn’t reported) and went on to win in 2000 and we never got an Obama or Trump presidency

still had the long slow death of the empire due to neoliberalism because, c’mon it’s Gore, so hard to say which is better

an inconvenient truth

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

plotting to get FF into Vinland Saga

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

In A Failing Grade for the Present Tense William Gass says the flattening of style started in the 70’s when deep throat and watergate convinced everyone that journalism was noble. College english courses retooled themselves to crank out journalists because suddenly that was what students wanted to be. So since then everyone’s just been trained to be a stenographer and not comment on or have an inner life or anything more than events and quotes.

Candy Darling
Nov 10, 2009

Javid posted:

they did this poo poo for three and a half hours

https://www.c-span.org/video/?534073-1/special-counsel-hur-testifies-biden-classified-documents-report-part-1

I bet Hur talked for about 6 minutes during all of that, and 5 of it was him patiently explaining for the 53rd time any one of "Insufficient evidence to present worthwhile chances of a conviction, not exoneration" and/or "I am not qualified to comment on why the completely different people investigating trump decided differently at different stages than I did in my completely different investigation"

a whole lot of supposedly really smart people putting a LOT of effort into pretending not to understand why he is ducking their very simple yes/no questions (each of which was over 90 seconds long, contains multiple loaded premises, and are ABSOLUTELY NOT simple yes/no questions, but ARE generally answered within the text of the report)

I would kinda understand if it was JUST republicans screaming mad at the lack of charges, but the dems are also putting a solid shoulder into insisting on as many records as possible that "Biden IS still mentally capable of criminal intent, actually"

Hur is the only person that speaks at any point in that video that I do not hate after watching it. Matt loving Gaetz is one of the least worst speakers, in that he actually asks a couple non trap meaty questions that actually pertain to Hur's actual investigation. It's a low bar but almost nobody clears it.

stop being the swamp trump campaigned on draining, you useless FUCKS

i turned this on and didn’t last beyond the opening statements.

when the democrat talks and says to the republican “heh i see you decided to use your allotted time to show a video of joe Biden” about the press conference Joe have. then proceeds to play a 10 minute montage of trump with zero self awareness

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nanomashoes posted:

In A Failing Grade for the Present Tense William Gass says the flattening of style started in the 70’s when deep throat and watergate convinced everyone that journalism was noble. College english courses retooled themselves to crank out journalists because suddenly that was what students wanted to be. So since then everyone’s just been trained to be a stenographer and not comment on or have an inner life or anything more than events and quotes.

That's very insightful, and I wouldn't have thought of it but goddamn.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

This is why we need AI to save us. If this is the best that human authors have to offer, then it's time to eliminate literature education and let the robots do it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

gore still invades iraq, mccain becomes the republican obama at the forefront of a massive redwave in 2008

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Uh oh, got some idpol leaking in the thread that doesn't understand the concept of cultural exchange and thinks ethnic purity of culture is the only way and you are racist if you like and emulate something from culture A but you're from culture D.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

video games are finally safe

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

gore still invades iraq, mccain becomes the republican obama at the forefront of a massive redwave in 2008

Gore wouldn't invade Iraq, but there is no way that the republicans would let getting bogged down for years in Afghanistan slide the same way the democrats did. He would get destroyed in '08.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/VerminusM/status/1773021303525544146

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Weembles posted:

Gore wouldn't invade Iraq, but there is no way that the republicans would let getting bogged down for years in Afghanistan slide the same way the democrats did. He would get destroyed in '08.

i refer you to the 2000 presidential debates whose foreign policy sections were all "who can say they will overthrow saddam harder than the other guy"

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

my “I love genocide, anime, and tabletop RPGs” t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

So then why the gently caress are you settling on the Holy Land? If G*d didn't give the land to the J*ws, what the gently caress are you doing there?

jfc. If you play D&D, go back to Poland.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ah yes, Dungeons & Drsgons, the game without any settler-colonial overtones

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I thought he was already dead

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i refer you to the 2000 presidential debates whose foreign policy sections were all "who can say they will overthrow saddam harder than the other guy"

and ofc the actual historic Gore's selection of Lieberman as his running mate - this counterfactual presupposes Gore didn't "have to" pick Lieberman, but bloodthirsty and catastrophically shortsighted hawkishness in his associates and advisors p clearly wasn't a problem for Gore

plus a lot of the FP Dems had been gung-ho about the potential invasion of Iraq since the 90's, our current president (who orchestrated the insanely pro-war public hearings in the Dem-controlled senate) prominently among them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Shageletic posted:

racism is a corrosive force that ruins the lives of everyone including those it uplifts as superiors or model minorities

yes correct

also it is vitally important we respect the authenticity of cuisine says person who never questions the presence of chili peppers and potatoes and deep frying in their food