Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Orbs posted:

Troops to invade are not the only form of resistance. (Also look at the Houthis- they're helping too.)

And again, what the gently caress does that have to do with whether Egypt is, at this moment, preparing troops to invade Israel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

joepinetree posted:

And again, what the gently caress does that have to do with whether Egypt is, at this moment, preparing troops to invade Israel?
Please go back and re-read my posts, I was never referring only to Egypt.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i’m going to invade israel

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I don't think anyone is going to invade unless they think they have to or would benefit. Ultimately since this is pretty rough to follow I don't really get much out of baseless speculation. Orbs, who do you think could/would invade, delineated by either nations or demographic, and why/how? If you don't know that's fine, but maybe it isn't necessary to get your hopes up then.

lumpentroll posted:

Thank you for your service I suppose

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

The government might; religious law wouldn't. The mainstream belief is that the Messiah is the only one to rebuild the Temple. Strengthening this position is the fact that important information about how the Temple would be rebuilt is not known, such as the intended location of the Holy of Holies (this is why most Jews believe that they should not even go up to the Temple Mount, since the only one who can go to the Holy of Holies is the High Priest and only on Yom Kippur); it is believed the Messiah would be the one to reveal such things. There are disagreements about the exact mechanism by which this would happen (e.g., would the Messiah personally lead the reconstruction?) but the broad consensus is that random people can't just decide to start rebuilding the Temple.

the holy of holies already exists. in the salt lake city Mormon temple

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

thechosenone posted:

I don't think anyone is going to invade unless they think they have to or would benefit. Ultimately since this is pretty rough to follow I don't really get much out of baseless speculation. Orbs, who do you think could/would invade, delineated by either nations or demographic, and why/how? If you don't know that's fine, but maybe it isn't necessary to get your hopes up then.

Thank you for your service I suppose
Of course I don't know that, no one does. That's my whole point. I am talking long term, like years or decades. Israel is not eternal, and neither is Egypt's current military.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
The posts about Egypt invading anything have to be from a different reality. Any troop buildups near the border are minimal and are meant to control a potential exodus into the Sinai by Palestinians, no more and no less.

This is not to say such an exodus wouldn't eventually lead to a conflict with Israel in the near future, but Sisi and the government will only ever get as far as making noise about suspending the peace treaty and pushing more troops to the border.

Sisi and those same institutions people mention have received the following amounts announced just over the past month:

35 billion USD from the UAE for land usage rights of a plot on the Mediterranean - how the hell is it worth this much, no one knows
8 billion EUR from the EU for upgrading Egypt's diplomatic status to a "strategic partner", mostly in the form of concessional loans
8 billion USD facility increase from the IMF

No one in power in Egypt is about to oppose the US regime.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Ham posted:

The posts about Egypt invading anything have to be from a different reality. Any troop buildups near the border are minimal and are meant to control a potential exodus into the Sinai by Palestinians, no more and no less.

This is not to say such an exodus wouldn't eventually lead to a conflict with Israel in the near future, but Sisi and the government will only ever get as far as making noise about suspending the peace treaty and pushing more troops to the border.

Sisi and those same institutions people mention have received the following amounts announced just over the past month:

35 billion USD from the UAE for land usage rights of a plot on the Mediterranean - how the hell is it worth this much, no one knows
8 billion EUR from the EU for upgrading Egypt's diplomatic status to a "strategic partner", mostly in the form of concessional loans
8 billion USD facility increase from the IMF

No one in power in Egypt is about to oppose the US regime.
This is exactly the limited, short term thinking I'm trying to push back against. That money wasn't always there, and it is starting to dry up.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Evangelical/Zionist belief that you can trick God with a technicality is astounding.

it rules

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Zodium posted:

it rules

it's lame as gently caress

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1772953903870451829

Abu-Sittah also called for:

Divestment from arms trade

Replacing IHRA definition of anti-semitism with an alternative that allows free speech

Pressure the university to condemn Israel's assault on Gaza

Nonsense has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Mar 28, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Spergin Morlock posted:

it's lame as gently caress

turn on your monitor

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Orbs posted:

This is exactly the limited, short term thinking I'm trying to push back against. That money wasn't always there, and it is starting to dry up.

Are you under impression that anyone here controls any part of the egyptian military?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

alarumklok posted:

I bet hezbollah will escalate if the nazis invade rafah, but egypt is going to have to collapse first before it ever intervenes

When Israel.invades Rafah, I would put good odds on protests that would dwarf 2011 in Egypt b

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

joepinetree posted:

Are you under impression that anyone here controls any part of the egyptian military?
No, not at all. I just see a lot of defeatism from people I interact with here and elsewhere online. Like everyone has already given up on anything changing. I'm trying to have hope. The Palestinians still do.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Orbs posted:

It's not the limited short term thinking it's describing someone as they are there's a difference between being hopeful and being stupid, the egyptian regime is custom-built to be a backbone of subduing and enslaving egyptians to the benefit of the US, ISrael and the UAE this is how it's acted for 50 years and that's the character of the people running the place, it's calling it as it is. expecting them to actually do anything that doesnt involve serving their masters and enriching themselves is stupidity.

the 'hopeful' part is wishing the day they are overthrown and killed wholesale. the cold harsh truth is that palestine will never be saved until the people who rule Egypt, Jordan, the UAE and Saudi arabia are killed and run over, there's no other path forwards unless that happens.

However, my realistic assessment is that arab people are too traumatised by what happened over the last decade, too poor and desperate or too sheeplike slaves and brainwashed to want to do anything. sadly this is the reality unless proven otherwise.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Mar 28, 2024

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Zodium posted:

turn on your monitor

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

KomradeX posted:

When Israel.invades Rafah, I would put good odds on protests that would dwarf 2011 in Egypt b

nah I think egyptian society is well and truly dead and buried. dont count on them. the fascists have completely destroyed any semblance of a society in that country and have it by the whip and leash.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Orbs posted:

No, not at all. I just see a lot of defeatism from people I interact with here and elsewhere online. Like everyone has already given up on anything changing. I'm trying to have hope. The Palestinians still do.

believing naive fantasy isn’t praxis. Egypt isnt going to do poo poo

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

It's not the limited short term thinking it's describing someone as they are there's a difference between being hopeful and being stupid, the egyptian regime is custom-built to be a backbone of subduing and enslaving egyptians to the benefit of the US, ISrael and the UAE this is how it's acted for 50 years and that's the character of the people running the place, it's calling it as it is. expecting them to actually do anything that doesnt involve serving their masters and enriching themselves is stupidity.

the 'hopeful' part is wishing the day they are overthrown and killed wholesale. the cold harsh truth is that palestine will never be saved until the people who rule Egypt, Jordan, the UAE and Saudi arabia are killed and run over, there's no other path forwards unless that happens.

However, my realistic assessment is that arab people are too traumatised by what happened over the last decade, too poor and desperate or too sheeplike slaves and brainwashed to want to do anything. sadly this is the reality unless proven otherwise.

I mean, if nothing else SA will run out of oil and collapse, probably dragging the rest of the region with it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So, what's the deal with this stuff about IDF soldiers dressing up in women's clothes they find? It's such a weird and specific thing. I don't know how prevalent it is because I avoid vids from the IDF in general, but it seems like it happens a lot and it's not just a couple guys a couple times.

Is this a carryover from the Holocaust or something? As if they stared too long at the Holocaust void and it's staring back now. I vaguely recall accounts of Nazis doing this with clothes they got from their victims.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

skooma512 posted:

So, what's the deal with this stuff about IDF soldiers dressing up in women's clothes they find? It's such a weird and specific thing. I don't know how prevalent it is because I avoid vids from the IDF in general, but it seems like it happens a lot and it's not just a couple guys a couple times.

Is this a carryover from the Holocaust or something? As if they stared too long at the Holocaust void and it's staring back now. I vaguely recall accounts of Nazis doing this with clothes they got from their victims.

nothing weird about rapist genociders showing off their contempt for the women they just raped and murdered

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

skooma512 posted:

probably it's more a tik-tok/social media thing. also i get the impression they see palestinians in general as weird prudish alien creatures so the thought of them having, like, lingerie is weird and hilarious to the IDF guys

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

skooma512 posted:

theyre aroused with literal blood lust from massacring dehumanized civilians and their brains doesn't know how to properly handle it and they're expressing it through weird sexualized mockery because the only way to keep doing what they're doing is to dehumanize the people they're killing more and more and normalize it all to their peers

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lumpentroll posted:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

israels mainstream sense of humour just seems to be really crass and mean imo

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lumpentroll posted:

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

skooma512 posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRTfDmGQ/

One of the better individual commentators out there on the current conflict and he puts in context as an old and timeworn form of humiliation and symbolic sexual assault of a victim population which allows them to say the quiet part out loud.

Quantum Cat has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Mar 28, 2024

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I sometimes wonder if those morons realize they're never going to be able to travel outside Israel for the rest of their lives lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Jerusalem Post saying that Israel is losing the war

=====

Jerusalem Post: No indications Israel can take back detainees

The Jerusalem Post, citing IDF sources, said there were no indications that Tel Aviv would be able to rescue more detainees in the Gaza Strip, adding that nothing also indicated that the military would be able to “kill more leaders of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas).”

Israeli military sources indicated that Hamas can still easily return to areas previously controlled by the Israeli army.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31601;&%231581;

This is a genuine admission of defeat and not just complaining about losing.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Spergin Morlock posted:

I sometimes wonder if those morons realize they're never going to be able to travel outside Israel for the rest of their lives lol

Israel will also get smaller.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Hatebag posted:

of course the american plan to bring about the apocalypse basically involves a frankenfood hamburger

lol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.reuters.com/world/ireland-intervene-south-africa-genocide-case-against-israel-2024-03-27/

quote:

Ireland said on Wednesday it would intervene in South Africa's genocide case against Israel, in the strongest signal to date of Dublin's concern about Israeli operations in Gaza since Oct. 7.

Announcing the move, Foreign Minister Micheal Martin said that while it was for the World Court to decide whether genocide is being committed, he wanted to be clear that Hamas' Oct. 7 attack and what is happening in Gaza now "represents the blatant violation of international humanitarian law on a mass scale."

"The taking of hostages. The purposeful withholding of humanitarian assistance to civilians. The targeting of civilians and of civilian infrastructure. The indiscriminate use of explosive weapons in populated areas. The use of civilian objects for military purposes. The collective punishment of an entire population," Martin said in a statement.

"The list goes on. It has to stop. The view of the international community is clear. Enough is enough."

In January the International Court of Justice (ICJ), also known as the World Court, ordered Israel to refrain from any acts that could fall under the Genocide Convention and to ensure its troops commit no genocidal acts against Palestinians, after South Africa accused Israel of state-led genocide in Gaza.

Israel and its Western allies described the allegation as baseless. A final ruling in South Africa's ICJ case in The Hague could take years.

Martin did not say what form the intervention would take or outline any argument Ireland plans to advance, but added that the step was decided following legal and policy analysis and consultation with several partners including South Africa.

Martin's department said such third party interventions do not take a specific side in the dispute, but that the intervention would be an opportunity for Ireland to put forward its interpretation of one or more of the provisions of the Genocide Convention at issue in the case.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Quantum Cat posted:

One of the better individual commentators out there on the current conflict and he puts in context as an old and timeworn form of humiliation and symbolic sexual assault of a victim population which allows them to say the quiet part out loud.

The fountain soundtrack makes this weird.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Quantum Cat posted:

Can you stop making GBS threads up the thread with tiktok videos/etc because you're throwing a hissy fit over your previous probation? It would be nice if CSPAM mods started actually enforcing rules in this thread....

And yes, obviously I know I'm hypocritical by breaking CSPAM rules with this post. But this thread has somehow been even worse than normal recently...

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

this thread has somehow been even worse than normal recently...

sorry

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

nah I think egyptian society is well and truly dead and buried. dont count on them. the fascists have completely destroyed any semblance of a society in that country and have it by the whip and leash.

And I'm sure people felt that way about Russia between 1905 and 1917. Like there is every possibility I'm wrong, but we keep hearing things about protests increasing over the last few weeks and things like having to take soldiers who at the border phones away to keep them from taking shots at the Israelis means things might not be as stable as we've been lead ro believe. And the Egyptian military is probably very aware of this especially since the Egyptian soliders aren't a separate race of dog people, the officer corp migbt as well be, but there is always the danger that parts of the rank and file will start supporting the protestors because its harder to side against the people who are racist zionists that would also genocide you given the chance, than the more nebulous political disagreemnts that led to the army destroying their short lived democracy. But I could be wrong, if, or when the worst does happen I hope it'll turn out I wasn't

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hatebag posted:

so some texans that want all the israeilis to die because that'll make jesus come back and kill all the muslims made a special Abomination Cow so that israelis can go into a muslim holy site and desecrate it?

they're going to do third impact

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

KomradeX posted:

And I'm sure people felt that way about Russia between 1905 and 1917. Like there is every possibility I'm wrong, but we keep hearing things about protests increasing over the last few weeks and things like having to take soldiers who at the border phones away to keep them from taking shots at the Israelis means things might not be as stable as we've been lead ro believe. And the Egyptian military is probably very aware of this especially since the Egyptian soliders aren't a separate race of dog people, the officer corp migbt as well be, but there is always the danger that parts of the rank and file will start supporting the protestors because its harder to side against the people who are racist zionists that would also genocide you given the chance, than the more nebulous political disagreemnts that led to the army destroying their short lived democracy. But I could be wrong, if, or when the worst does happen I hope it'll turn out I wasn't

there aren't really any protests in Cairo, the one I did see was of people sitting in an alley, not actually moving through the streets, protests are not allowed
I am sure some happen elsewhere though , smaller ones
any bigger and they'll be cut off but who knows
I don't think the time of revolution is right for them now though I hope I am wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

time to find out whether ireland has a nuke