Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

Do you guys ever take multiple sessions to finish a movie? It feels wrong but I keep doing it. My record is 4 sittings to finish Critters, with 3 to finish Popeye as a runner up

It took me a week to finish house of gucci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

My expert opinion of Rough One is Felicity Jones is a terrible actor.

She wasn't good in rouge one, but also the cast was too big, so there was only time to build her character as "I was forced to be a child soldier, and I hate everybody now."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

ultrabindu posted:

lol

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Cubone posted:

I bet that's a great article. probably makes some salient points, etc.

it's not long

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Which robot was she?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
yeah I bet it's real short and readable. vigorous writing is concise, as strunk & white said

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The fact that Solo might actually be the best of the Disney Star Wars movies is loving dire.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

watch men? sounds pretty gay to me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

stephenthinkpad posted:

(From the crowd, off-camera)

WOT IS SHE PROPOSING!?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ultrabindu posted:

I watched House of Gucci in 2022, right before going on my first vacation in 15 years and let me tell you; my desire to get as far away from the television that just had House of Gucci playing on it sure helped me get over my travel anxiety.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kingo Ligma posted:

Gee, I wonder why a comic written in the 80s by an Englishman would have something to say about the stigmatisation of homosexuality, the cold war, and rampant capitalism.

Hooded Justice wasn't a comment about the stigmatization of homosexuality. It was just Moore winking and nudging about "this stuff is kinda gay though, isn't it?" The take on the character in the series is a thousand times better than the one in the comic.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I enjoyed about 2/3rds of the Watchmen TV show, but it really wasn't helped (in terms of audience reception) by having the branding and baggage that comes with being a Watchmen "sequel". I can easily envision it as its own thing divorced from the Watchmen characters/backstory/IP, but it probably wouldn't have been made. It's very much its own thing and doesn't have much interested in replicating the tone of Moore's comic or engaging the themes that he seemed interested in.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 27, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1773079331176124468

Marty's going senile

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Scorsese is someone I’d absolutely watch a religious documentary from though

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I hope it's entirely about the Roman Catholic church warning adherents that watching The Last Temptation of Christ may or may not be a one-way ticket to hell.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mordja posted:

Wow, real snub on Anton Yelchin. He must be crushed.

:stonklol:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

Hooded Justice wasn't a comment about the stigmatization of homosexuality. It was just Moore winking and nudging about "this stuff is kinda gay though, isn't it?" The take on the character in the series is a thousand times better than the one in the comic.

It's the best proof Damon didn't understand the comic. I guess Moore was too subtle making the first masked vigilante an incredibly violent German immigrant who agreed with Hitler.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 27, 2024

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
typical franchise movie cycle. good first movie, decent but worse second movie, third movie that no one cares about, fourth move is a goodbye. endless trash.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I still haven't seen Beyond lol. I'm sure it's nice

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

typical franchise movie cycle. good first movie, decent but worse second movie, third movie that no one cares about, fourth move is a goodbye. endless trash.

I thought Beyond was great and yet I’ve never had any desire to watch it again

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably Beyond was fine, based on what the boys said about it. Surely they can be relied on in matters of star trek taste.

*Touching earpiece* Hearing they have a picard season 3 review I should go check out

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
beyond was better than the cumberbatch one but not so good you should go out of your way to watch it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Which robot was she?

The one who always decorates itself in warm pastel tone garments.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Just wish the drat watchman was woke

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

That DICK! posted:

Just wish the drat watchman was woke

Thank god a POC* like Damon Lindelof came along to fix the damage that ignorant honky Alan Moore caused in the 80s.

*Person of Competency

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Still waiting for Rogue Two.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

The Watchmen show has one fault: no follow up on the slip and slide gutter guy.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So for people who go to bat for Lindelof Watchman, what's up with the ending. What am I supposed to get out of the ending?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Eggs are good food

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

How are the watchmen supposed to watch when they can't turn their drat necks

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The primary defense that I'm seeing in this thread for the Watchmen show was that the comic was not perfect either. Which is hard to respond to if you stopped reading comics when you were 12 like a normal person. I never got past the pilot, and this argument isn't making me question my decision at all.

stephenthinkpad posted:

So for people who go to bat for Lindelof Watchman, what's up with the ending. What am I supposed to get out of the ending?

You could replace "Watchman" in this post with most of Lindelof's projects and it would still be a perfectly valid question.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

stephenthinkpad posted:

The ending very clearly explained to me that he didn't understand the comic at all

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Please.

He was a computer engineer.

Also what the hell is wrong with the Chinese is all sci-fi banned there or something:

There are a lot of seemingly-arbitrary and capriciously enforced restrictions on published fantasy and science fiction stories

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cassian of Imola posted:

I avoided Rogue One for a long time but it turned out to be the only Star Wars movie since ROTJ that I liked (still haven't seen Solo or ep 9 and never will, God willing), and I'd rank it right after Empire and A New Hope. Although they were brief, the very worst parts were all the bits with Vader, including the final sequence — Final Fantasy Peter Cushing was tasteless and bad, but at least his character had a reason to be there, and Ben Mendelsohn jockeying with him for power was a great subplot culminating in, for me, one of the most memorable effects shots of the last decade

All this is to say that, compared with Prometheus, Rogue One is Citizen Kane

The wife and I had a birthday tradition going out to dinner and then seeing the most recent Star Wars movie which owned for TFA and Rogue One but we tapped out after the Last Jedi and figured we’d catch them on streaming.

Rogue One was a genuinely good movie and I will 100% die on that hill. Someone said “hey I wonder what happens to all of the little people who aren’t space wizards in these Star Wars movies” and a pretty spectacular, grim war movie was made. Prometheus was fine as an Alien sequel that didn’t absolutely suck rear end after 3 and 4 were loving dogshit. It wasn’t great but captured the weirdness of the first two movies pretty well

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 28, 2024

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
Wait there's a Watchman comic?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Watchmen TV show can be read as a failed attempt to adapt/engage with the comic, but it’s more charitably read as a completely unrelated story crammed into Watchmen branding. As an extrapolation of Moore’s comic, it doesn’t work at all, but as season 4 of the Leftovers, it’s a solid C+.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

BoyG posted:

Wait there's a Watchman comic?
I wouldn't get too excited, from what I've heard he doesn't actually have watch-based or even clock-based powers

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Who watches the men

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
As a continuation of the story, the Watchmen TV series was better than it had any right to be. Really enjoyed it, especially Jeremy Irons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?

Cubone posted:

I wouldn't get too excited, from what I've heard he doesn't actually have watch-based or even clock-based powers

Oh yeah you're right I was thinking of those Amazing Horologist comics