Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: That Little Demon)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Tonight will be Front Mission 3, and may only be Front Mission 3 lol, depending on how I feel because I love that loving game but going in with no bias, and using logic and reason to rank it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Good. Now IMO you add the following games, all played to completion, in one marathon session:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV
Romance of the Three Kingdoms V
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

abuse culture. posted:

Good. Now IMO you add the following games, all played to completion, in one marathon session:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV
Romance of the Three Kingdoms V
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII

maybe if I hit a sub or follower goal,

I'm 4 subs away from a 7 hour marathon of cancelled and unreleased PSX games,

I'm 1020/1100 followers from a 24 hour marathon of PSX games

maybe if I hit 30/30 subs I will do that, otherwise I will just add 4 for now to the list

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is thrill kill on the unreleased list

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

STING 64 posted:

is thrill kill on the unreleased list

already played it

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Tonights a big one - FRONT MISSION 3

https://twitch.tv/ritoru_demon

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Front Mission 3 was loving incredible!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I miss the days when Square just churned out games. So many hits.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thats for the ps5 you silly bitch

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

super sweet best pal posted:

same here pal

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Episode 34 is NOW LIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ftKG58o3A

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Live Now! Planet Laika, from quintet and apparently put Enix out of business? lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

square put out of business by spirits within and enix put out of business by planet laika... a match made in heaven

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

square put out of business by spirits within and enix put out of business by planet laika... a match made in heaven

lmfao

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Based on tonight’s stream, I’m recommending Pinobee and Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Darthemed posted:

Based on tonight’s stream, I’m recommending Pinobee and Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse.

added!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Quintet AND Enix deserved to go out of business for Planet Laika

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

tfw you own the rpg franchise that you have been forced to release on weekends so it doesnt gently caress up the economy but still go out of business

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

That Little Demon posted:

Quintet AND Enix deserved to go out of business for Planet Laika

Thanks for playing my favorite awful game! I'm really sad I missed the live stream, but your comments are all spot-on. It mostly does play like a visual novel, although there ARE eventually battles. They're not turn-based, though -- the best I can describe the battle system is a combination of Pong and Space Invaders. There aren't very many fights total in the game, as most of the random encounters are optional, and there are only three or four boss fights, iirc, so the game is mostly just walking around and talking to dog-faced people about their trauma. Some of the dialogue can be pretty funny, at least, even without the obligatory fan-translated swearing.

The later game has some great body horror (after a certain boss fight you can return to the ship and find Noon's skin in a jar, and the climax involves dozens of disembodied faces appearing and extruding straws from their mouths to exsanguinate a dude) and the ending is appropriately insane (the camera zooms out to show the colony contained in a snow globe, and the masked guy from the very beginning of the game shows up to say "Well, wasn't that interesting?") I love it for the vibes, but it's absolutely a slog to get to the "good" parts.

But yeah, uh, I'm not exactly surprised the studio went under after this. :shobon:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mickey's Wild Adventure, apparently the same thing as Mickey Mania, was one of the first ps1 games we owned. Never did manage to beat it :allears:

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

curlingiron posted:

Thanks for playing my favorite awful game! I'm really sad I missed the live stream, but your comments are all spot-on. It mostly does play like a visual novel, although there ARE eventually battles. They're not turn-based, though -- the best I can describe the battle system is a combination of Pong and Space Invaders. There aren't very many fights total in the game, as most of the random encounters are optional, and there are only three or four boss fights, iirc, so the game is mostly just walking around and talking to dog-faced people about their trauma. Some of the dialogue can be pretty funny, at least, even without the obligatory fan-translated swearing.

The later game has some great body horror (after a certain boss fight you can return to the ship and find Noon's skin in a jar, and the climax involves dozens of disembodied faces appearing and extruding straws from their mouths to exsanguinate a dude) and the ending is appropriately insane (the camera zooms out to show the colony contained in a snow globe, and the masked guy from the very beginning of the game shows up to say "Well, wasn't that interesting?") I love it for the vibes, but it's absolutely a slog to get to the "good" parts.

But yeah, uh, I'm not exactly surprised the studio went under after this. :shobon:

while the game sounds very interesting and something that should be appealing to me on paper, actually playing the game is another story entirely. It pauses the game too much, it feels like it has no purpose of you controlling it. The premise seems appropriately weird but I honest to god can't believe that game got made, that it was made by legendary studio quintet, and that enix green lit it.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tfw you own the rpg franchise that you have been forced to release on weekends so it doesnt gently caress up the economy but still go out of business

the hosed up part is that DQ7 they hosed with it too much too, its like my least favorite one. ESPECIALLY the 4 hour slog of an opening before we see 1 loving slime

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Anyone say Suikoden or Wild Arms yet?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the hosed up part is that DQ7 they hosed with it too much too, its like my least favorite one. ESPECIALLY the 4 hour slog of an opening before we see 1 loving slime

i once said i was going to play DQ 7 in Imp Zone and the imps said i wouldnt be able to and after 4 hours of dialog and backtracking i got to the first encounter, saved, and then turned the game off and never turned it back on lol. i hear the 3DS remake cuts out a lot of the padding so i might try that one day

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Vitamin Me posted:

Anyone say Suikoden or Wild Arms yet?

not yet, you want me to add them?>

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i once said i was going to play DQ 7 in Imp Zone and the imps said i wouldnt be able to and after 4 hours of dialog and backtracking i got to the first encounter, saved, and then turned the game off and never turned it back on lol. i hear the 3DS remake cuts out a lot of the padding so i might try that one day

the absolute worst is a bunch of stupid rear end puzzles that I couldn't give a poo poo about right up front!!!!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

EGGS OF STEEL

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

(duke nukem voice) i've got eggs of steel

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

(duke nukem voice) i've got eggs of steel

lol

Merrygate
Aug 10, 2019

You take these risky jobs too, huh?

I firmly believe that if a game was considered good 25 years ago, it should still be good today. If it isn't, I doubt it ever was good. Just my humble gamer opinion.
This is not necessarily true; some games, especially those in the early 3D console-gaming era might've hit way harder in their day than they ever possibly could today. Some games just don't age gracefully -- see any game that used "tank controls", like the Tomb Raider trilogy, Parasite Eve 2, the classic Resident Evil series, or hell, even Chrono Cross is a victim of aging poorly. Most 2D games were fine, and some 3D games do still hold up, but with that said? a "decent-enough" game today would've been a pretty good game back then due to a lower overall industry standard.

e: for something more constructive; would you like to do me a favor and add which episodes are covered by which youtube links? I want to watch one game in particular but I missed the livestream and don't want to sift through 'em all to find the one that has what I'm looking for

Merrygate fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 28, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Merrygate posted:

This is not necessarily true; some games, especially those in the early 3D console-gaming era might've hit way harder in their day than they ever possibly could today. Some games just don't age gracefully -- see any game that used "tank controls", like the Tomb Raider trilogy, Parasite Eve 2, the classic Resident Evil series, or hell, even Chrono Cross is a victim of aging poorly. Most 2D games were fine, and some 3D games do still hold up, but with that said? a "decent-enough" game today would've been a pretty good game back then due to a lower overall industry standard.

those games all kick rear end to this day

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Merrygate posted:

e: for something more constructive; would you like to do me a favor and add which episodes are covered by which youtube links? I want to watch one game in particular but I missed the livestream and don't want to sift through 'em all to find the one that has what I'm looking for

To your point, those games are still good and aged fine. A movie that was great in 1970 should still be great today, no matter how it looks or what effects it has ect, ya know, like star wars ect.

All the covers on of episodes in the OP have the games included listed, and they are all timestamped so you can enjoy bits and pieces as you go. I wanted to include the games in the episode titles but the titles ended up too long.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

THQ published so much licensed shovelware like Rugrats back in those days.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

not yet, you want me to add them?>

Yes please :D

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Vitamin Me posted:

Yes please :D

:cheers:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The character models in hot shots are viscerally upsetting lol. Thanks for the great vids

It is good that you chose to play as Mint in threads of fate, if I remember right all the lighthearted goofs and fun are in her side of the game

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

play skullmonkeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

play skullmonkeys

added