Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

desperate for a machine to summarize the craft and emotion out of the art i consume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

shyduck posted:

this is the Tesla investorsphere in a nutshell. First person is still probably hodling and loves the car, but has legitimate concerns backed by numbers

The second person is a loving idiot, who was retweeted by a loving idiot

I totally misunderstood that post the first time I read it. I thought they were saying ask yourself these questions, if the answer is "no" then don't buy the stock. But they actually meant that Tesla is doing all those things lol.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FlamingLiberal posted:

"AI should just invent Cliff Notes"

Thank you. I was trying to think of the little yellow books that I'd see at Barnes & Noble back in the day.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Grok, please summarize the last week of Must tweets

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

poisonpill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This guy is awake like 22-23 hours a day, but doesn't have enough time to read a loving book

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

This guy is awake like 22-23 hours a day, but doesn't have enough time to read a loving book

He probably does, but every time he gets to a part where he thinks would be written or done better and starts emailiing/tweeting the author.
Or goes 'I knew that already''I knew that already''I knew that already' to everything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why is Elon so down on Twitter bots if he thinks that bots are better than humans at basically everything they put their nonexistent minds to?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

poisonpill posted:

Thank

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

poisonpill posted:

You know the quote about the goon down the well? Swap out the words dig, digging etc for doing ketamine.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Has he never wished a book kept going? Wanted to know what happened next? Does he have no curiosity at all?

I’m pretty sure it’s a No to all three. Richest man in the world, could task people to summarise books for him or to research anything he was interested in or wanted to understand, but he’s too busy reading tweeter and posting one word replies to think about anything else.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

DRINK ME posted:

Has he never wished a book kept going? Wanted to know what happened next? Does he have no curiosity at all?

I’m pretty sure it’s a No to all three. Richest man in the world, could task people to summarise books for him or to research anything he was interested in or wanted to understand, but he’s too busy reading tweeter and posting one word replies to think about anything else.

He's definitely curious what Grimes is up to right now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Y'all laugh, but there's a lot of books out there that would be better read as a summary.

For example, I had ChatGPT summarize Atlas Shrugged for me

:nexus:

See, much better.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Most books can be much shorter

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I know, imagine how long Stephen King books would be if he could actually finish writing any of the endings

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Saudi Arabia did not chip in to kill the site. These people all do think he's a titan of industry.

They don't think he's smart or a titan of industry. They know he's dumb as gently caress and always have. They don't care about the money and likely wrote all of it off the moment they gave it to him. What they want is ongoing access to private information about Twitter's Saudi users that they can use to further their repression of their populace.

They've gotten exactly what they wanted out of the whole thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I always marveled at the Skymall ad for a subscription service that summarizes business books for you

First there’s the disturbing concept of someone spending their reading time on a thousand variations of Who Moved My Cheese, then there’s the even worse thought of someone shoving one-page synopses of these books in their brain like a machine

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Huh. He's actually right about something for once. Honestly, I would never read a book. I’m very skeptical of books. I don’t want to say no book is ever worth reading, but I actually do believe something pretty close to that. I think if you wrote a book, you hosed up, and it should have been a six-paragraph blog post.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gonna have an LLM abridge the Bible and see how many heresies I can create.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Platystemon posted:

Doing the Albigensian crusade against Grok

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DRINK ME posted:

Musk had an anecdote about when he bought in/wanted to buy into SpaceX he got an orbital mechanics textbook and read it in a weekend. You could extremely tell from the way he told the story that he didn't read the book to learn anything but purely because it would give him license to tell people at SpaceX "... As a rocket scientist,"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Have you ever read the entire Bible from beginning to end? I have! Not a fun experience! Highly non recommended! At least it wasn't the Catholic Bible I guess.

Books are bad, kids!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Grok, summarize the Cybertruck user manual. Use unhinged mode. Be vulgar.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

kazil posted:

Grok, summarize the Cybertruck user manual. Use unhinged mode. Be vulgar.

Well well well,

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

...! posted:

They don't think he's smart or a titan of industry. They know he's dumb as gently caress and always have. They don't care about the money and likely wrote all of it off the moment they gave it to him. What they want is ongoing access to private information about Twitter's Saudi users that they can use to further their repression of their populace.

They've gotten exactly what they wanted out of the whole thing.

Didn’t they provide a heap of the debt financing? If so they’ll probably be able to take over if it ends up being bankrupted.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zedprime posted:

Musk had an anecdote about when he bought in/wanted to buy into SpaceX he got an orbital mechanics textbook and read it in a weekend. You could extremely tell from the way he told the story that he didn't read the book to learn anything but purely because it would give him license to tell people at SpaceX "... As a rocket scientist,"

there’s no way this bitch knows how to visualize and derive the keplerian elements much less how to do the Euler transformations between frames

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Tiny Timbs posted:

there’s no way this bitch knows how to visualize and derive the keplerian elements much less how to do the Euler transformations between frames

Just create a manoeuvre node, duh

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Platystemon posted:

Oh, they're already way ahead of you, just go for one of the "paraphrase" ones.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Leaves out the Jefferson Bible, for shame

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

zedprime posted:

quote:

One of the most hilarious conversations we had referred to several optimizations we (the Window's kernel team) were making around "ring-0 to ring-3 transitions" (these transitions can be very costly). The problem was how the kernel was calculating a thread's quantum.

These types of issues have been around since the 1970s - anyone who understands operating systems at this level knows why the transitions can be costly.

Elon went off on some rant about "processes and threads" that wasn't even remotely related to what we were discussing. After 40 minutes of trying to explain it to him we just gave up. And the entire time he was mansplaining how the process worked... to the people who literally created this software.

For two years I just ignored him whenever he showed up. From a technical perspective he was a bumbling idiot who thought he was always the smartest person in the room. Narrator: "He wasn't."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

This...doesn't make any sense. "Subscribers" are people that pay a user extra money for exclusive tweets. There are less than 10 accounts on the entire site that have over 2500 subscribers, and Elon is one of them.

Maybe he means followers? Verified would mean they have to be blue checkies.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sell 5,000 pizza kits for your school and get a pencil box

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

So all i need is probably way way under $1k to rent a 5000-bot swarm (which is extremely small scale) in order to upgrade as many accounts as i want for free? Then i can use those upgraded accounts to create a stream of other accounts for free, sweet. I just need to make sure those accounts also follow a bunch of random non-bot accounts to blend in, then bingo

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Elon kets out during the week now, too.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The income from 2500 subscribers must be loving dire if getting premium for free is supposed to be a big selling point. Isn't it like $8 a month? Or are verified/premium/blue check all different products.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

So all i need is probably way way under $1k to rent a 5000-bot swarm (which is extremely small scale) in order to upgrade as many accounts as i want for free? Then i can use those upgraded accounts to create a stream of other accounts for free, sweet. I just need to make sure those accounts also follow a bunch of random non-bot accounts to blend in, then bingo

I don't think this would work because all the bots would need to pay a subscription to the account you want to upgrade. Unless you can have them all subscribe for like $0.01 each or something.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

kazil posted:

This...doesn't make any sense. "Subscribers" are people that pay a user extra money for exclusive tweets. There are less than 10 accounts on the entire site that have over 2500 subscribers, and Elon is one of them.

Maybe he means followers? Verified would mean they have to be blue checkies.

https://twitter.com/Whatapityonyou/status/1773155659908800732?t=T9wVi8QQey4Fgo2sY07rsQ&s=19

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Kramjacks posted:

The income from 2500 subscribers must be loving dire if getting premium for free is supposed to be a big selling point. Isn't it like $8 a month? Or are verified/premium/blue check all different products.

It's the dumbest most confusing system in the world.

There's paying for Twitter in 3 tiers, Basic, Premium, and Premium+. They are $3, $8 and $16 a month, respectively. This money goes to Twitter.

Subscribers are different than followers. Subscribers pay specific users extra money per month for access to their exclusive Subscriber Tweets. This amount is set, and paid to, the user.

Even if the subscription fee was $1 per month, they'd be making $2500 a month and the cost of Premium would be a drop in the bucket anyway.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Look, clearly I am not a genius automotive engineer but literarily no one in the management of the car design was like "What loving idiot didn't have this wing bolt on from the bottom, fire them immediately and find all the other idiotic things they were responsible for?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
You may laugh but elon just saved himself $20 a month! Now that’s just smart business