Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Also looks like the Caps are staying in DC. As they should.

https://twitter.com/tomsherwood/status/1773073719939809309

I thought they had a lease for another 20 years or something. What agreement needs to be made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jhet posted:

I thought they had a lease for another 20 years or something. What agreement needs to be made?

They wanted renovation money from the city, so I would assume it's something related to that. The arena is almost 30 years old now and could use some upgrades.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Oilers' problem is not a deep quandary. They have always been a one line team with weak defense and no goalie, and that one line is so goddamn good it can drag the team to a successful regular season by itself. In the playoffs however you're up against a good team that gets to play you repeatedly, and so quickly works out how to hold the God Line to a draw and exploit your weak defense and no goalie.

This year's Oilers are different because.... (checking notes).... uh actually they're not different at all.

tinstaach posted:

The Red Wings are two Moritz Seider goals away from having 14 10-goal scorers, which is definitely not a record but sounds like a lot especially for a mid team

Combining these two is pretty interesting. Just quickly looking through the teams in the top half of the league for goals and it looks like the number of 10 goal scorers is pretty consistent. The vast majority of teams have 9-10 forwards with 8+ goals (so guys with a good chance of hitting 10 by the end of the year). So it seems like guys with top 9 ice time that can't hit 10 goals probably suck and many teams have at least one either good 4th liner or some guys that move up and down enough to contribute.

Most teams also have 1 or 2 defenceman chipping in as well so a total of 10-11 guys.

The Wings with Seider would be the most on the year with 11/3. The Avs have 9/2 while leading the league in goals so they have both depth and top end power. They'd have another 10 goal scorer in the Byram/Middlestat combo even if neither hit the mark.

The Jets are fun because Monahan is at 9 goals for them and he'd make it 12 forwards with 10. They've got 2 D at 8 too, so they could also get 14.

On the other end of the scale, we have the Oilers, 5th in the league in goals, but only 7 forwards have contributed 10, the lowest amongst teams that aren't garbage. The only other guy that can score is Perry with 6 in 26 games. They do have Bouchard (15) and Nurse (9) chipping in from the blueline, but depth is not their thing.

Even the notoriously top heavy Leafs have 9 guys in double digits plus Domi at 8. Their bigger problem with depth scoring is that Rielly and McCabe lead their blueline with just 7 a piece.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They wanted renovation money from the city, so I would assume it's something related to that. The arena is almost 30 years old now and could use some upgrades.

I'm sure they have a few things they'd like to update but Capital One arena is pretty drat fine. I go there multiple times a year for concerts or the odd game and it's clearly not in any sort of disrepair

I think he was just shooting for that big tax free land gift and since that fell through they'll slap up a slightly bigger jumbotron, maybe redo the lockers, and call it a decade

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Everyone should cheer for the Stars, not because they're the Dallas Stars, but because they have a player they call Stanky on it

It cracks me up every time I hear it or read it. STANKY GOING OFF!!!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

2019 still seems like it's pretty good to me. It hasn't even been 5 years since the draft yet so there's still some time. A lot of these guys are still only 22 or 23. Kakko maybe isn't where you'd expect a #2 overall to be but I don't think he's, like, a bad player. Not sure if he'll ever get his opportunity with the Rangers, I don't really watch them regularly enough to say if there's room for him to be getting more reps on a better line or the PP or whatever.

Jack Hughes is Jack Hughes, in terms of career points after him you have some clear top-6 guys and a #1 D in Cozens, Boldy, Zegras, Caufield, and Seider. Shane Pinto is looking like he could be one too although his track record is shorter. Thomas Harley also looks like he'll be a stud. There are also a lot of other interesting guys who are, at the very least, currently above average players who could potentially become very good ones for their clubs. Newhook, Kaliyev, York, Byram, Maccelli, McMichael, Spence, Dach. I'm sure there are more but I didn't feel like running down the whole list. Kochetkov looks like he could be a #1 goalie one day, ditto Dustin Wolf, and who knows what is going on with Spencer Knight but he has the pedigree and if he figures his poo poo out maybe he'll be good too. There's a smattering of guys who look like they'll be solid bottom-six players too.

I guess that might not be as many as you'd expect for a draft, but I don't think it's terrible overall.

It's not 2012 bad, and there's still lots of time for players to still surprise us. So I don't disagree with you. Right now, it appears to be a mediocre draft with the potential to be bad, depending on how the next few seasons go (but again, not 2012 bad).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

It's not 2012 bad, and there's still lots of time for players to still surprise us. So I don't disagree with you. Right now, it appears to be a mediocre draft with the potential to be bad, depending on how the next few seasons go (but again, not 2012 bad).

2012 is maybe an apt comparison. I also think that 2012 gets a bit of a bad rap. Most of the skaters in the first round turned out to be at least decent, some of them are very good even, but probably not stars in the way that 2019 has Hughes and maybe some of the others. 2012 did produce 3 of the last 5 Vezina winners in Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, and Ullmark though, which counts for something I guess.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm cheering for the Hurricanes to make the finals because the Pens get their first round pick if they do. Once they get there I don't care what happens tho.

Beyond that I hold nothing but spite in my heart for every eastern playoff team (as I should).

In the West I'll root for Nashville and beyond that I don't much care who wins. It'd be cool to see McDavid win a cup I guess? Be kinda hosed up if the guy who might be the best player since Mario Lemieux didn't win a cup ever

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just don't hate Stanky, is all I ask. He's Stanky.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Shinjobi posted:

Just don't hate Stanky, is all I ask. He's Stanky.

I hate him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

2019 still seems like it's pretty good to me. It hasn't even been 5 years since the draft yet so there's still some time. A lot of these guys are still only 22 or 23. Kakko maybe isn't where you'd expect a #2 overall to be but I don't think he's, like, a bad player. Not sure if he'll ever get his opportunity with the Rangers, I don't really watch them regularly enough to say if there's room for him to be getting more reps on a better line or the PP or whatever.

He started the season with Zibanejad and Kreider so that's a "chance", but those two have been weird this year especially in that they can't score for poo poo 5v5 (though usually they don't get outscored by the other team either). So...is it a chance if you're placed with guys who suck 5v5 and don't tend to play well with their other linemate? Is it his fault that line sucked at scoring and he finally was bumped from it?
I think he might need a specific kind of line to bring out his best and I don't know if the Rangers have those players. He won't get PP1 anytime soon.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

2012 is maybe an apt comparison. I also think that 2012 gets a bit of a bad rap. Most of the skaters in the first round turned out to be at least decent, some of them are very good even, but probably not stars in the way that 2019 has Hughes and maybe some of the others. 2012 did produce 3 of the last 5 Vezina winners in Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, and Ullmark though, which counts for something I guess.

Yeah, I think every draft, especially post-lockout, will still produce *some* great players. I guess my thought after these few posts is how do you determine if a draft is bad or not? I am just thinking in comparison with other drafts of the era.

Also, as someone mentioned previously, 2019 may have also been greatly affected by the lockdowns. Some players lost a lot of development.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:negative:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

Combining these two is pretty interesting. Just quickly looking through the teams in the top half of the league for goals and it looks like the number of 10 goal scorers is pretty consistent. The vast majority of teams have 9-10 forwards with 8+ goals (so guys with a good chance of hitting 10 by the end of the year). So it seems like guys with top 9 ice time that can't hit 10 goals probably suck and many teams have at least one either good 4th liner or some guys that move up and down enough to contribute.

Most teams also have 1 or 2 defenceman chipping in as well so a total of 10-11 guys.

The Wings with Seider would be the most on the year with 11/3. The Avs have 9/2 while leading the league in goals so they have both depth and top end power. They'd have another 10 goal scorer in the Byram/Middlestat combo even if neither hit the mark.

The Jets are fun because Monahan is at 9 goals for them and he'd make it 12 forwards with 10. They've got 2 D at 8 too, so they could also get 14.

On the other end of the scale, we have the Oilers, 5th in the league in goals, but only 7 forwards have contributed 10, the lowest amongst teams that aren't garbage. The only other guy that can score is Perry with 6 in 26 games. They do have Bouchard (15) and Nurse (9) chipping in from the blueline, but depth is not their thing.

Even the notoriously top heavy Leafs have 9 guys in double digits plus Domi at 8. Their bigger problem with depth scoring is that Rielly and McCabe lead their blueline with just 7 a piece.

Oilers also have Henrique who has 20 total. They have 9 forwards that have 10 with Perry and Henrique, which is essentially their top 9 depending on where Brown is playing on a given night.

The Oilers also had 12 10 goal forwards last season with Bjugstad and I don't think anyone can make a convincing argument that last year's team was deeper than this year's version.

It really depends where you set the bar. If you set it at 15 the Jets/Oilers have 6 each, Stars have 8!! while the Leafs have 5 and the Avs 4.

It's kind of an arbitrary thing on where you set the bar

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

He's like 5'2". You're basically saying that you hate a child. You monster.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yes, but at least he's not employing a child.

Also, it's against my ethics to cheer for Dallas. I will just hope they extend Suter's contract instead.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jhet posted:

Yes, but at least he's not employing a child.

Also, it's against my ethics to cheer for Dallas. I will just hope they extend Suter's contract instead.

:negative::negative:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Be kinda hosed up if the guy who might be the best player since Mario Lemieux didn't win a cup ever

I think it would be perfect.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cocaine Bear posted:

children are easy to hate though

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ted Leonsis statement:

Dear Fans and Supporters,

I am thrilled to share that moments ago I signed a letter of intent with D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser for a major partnership to renovate and modernize Capital One Arena, expanding Monumental's business operations into Gallery Place, transforming Downtown D.C. into a premier entertainment destination. It is one that aligns our growth mindset with a public-private partnership, which we have been seeking.

About an hour ago, we publicly celebrated this big new partnership with the city – the Mayor, City Council, Metro Police, our neighbors, and business partners – and announced this truly new and unique opportunity for collaboration. This is the first and only letter of intent we have signed regarding a new or upgraded facility. I spoke earlier today with the Governor of Virginia, Mayor of Alexandria, and CEO of JBG SMITH, Matt Kelly, to thank them for their time and efforts on our proposal and to inform them of this newly formally signed deal with D.C.

The assertive actions of Mayor Bowser and the D.C. Council juxtaposed against our experience in Virginia evolved our view of the best partner to support the growth of our business. In the past three months, the pivot and great work in D.C. were in stark relief from what we ultimately experienced in Virginia. While the Virginia House of Delegates did great work in evaluating our proposal, the Senate sadly did no work in even providing us a fair hearing on the true financial benefit of the project. Contrasted with the open level of collaboration that we now have in D.C., we know we are in the best position to meet the next big objectives for the benefit of our fans.

What we have been able to negotiate in D.C. gives us tremendous opportunities. First, we are gaining 200,000 square feet of additional space as we will expand our business and hospitality operations into Gallery Place. With this expansion of space, we have the ability to program the arena and campus to drive more options for visitors and provide more services to our players and our fans. We also sought a deal that would right-size our organization with the Nationals, Orioles, and Ravens as to their venues and partnerships with the City and State. We also sought a new level of cooperation with a government entity around services such as traffic mitigation, safety and security, and cleanliness. We also sought a better and more efficient way to communicate with regulatory agencies and cut through red tape with more efficient approvals. We also sought more direct control of our practice facilities and office buildings. And more control of our future.

We expect to create new viewing options, better and different sight lines, more comfortable seating, upgrade technical and functional infrastructure, and modernize the building as we shift from an analog to a digital world.

This new deal achieves most of, if not all, our key objectives. And I was very impressed with the Mayor’s stick-with-it attitude — she never gave up and was always reaching out to me to keep and expand our business operations in D.C. Gratefully, we kept a good dialogue going with the City and our Mayor and have netted this opportunity for a new chapter for our organization.

And that is in no small part because of the tremendous work undertaken by Mayor Bowser and the D.C. Council. Since the announcement that we were pursuing a partnership with Virginia in December 2023, D.C. officials have taken concrete action to support Monumental Sports and the downtown community. In January 2024, the Mayor announced the formation of the Gallery Place/Chinatown Task Force to articulate a defined vision surrounding Capital One Arena and committed $400 million for the Downtown Action Plan and a Downtown Public Realm Plan to ensure the long-term success of Downtown D.C.’s commercial core. The Mayor also opened the first Safe Commercial Corridor Hub in the Chinatown neighborhood staffed by outreach teams from multiple public safety and human services agencies that will be able to respond in real-time to challenges in the community. And earlier this month, the Council passed the Secure DC omnibus legislation with a multi-prong strategy and tactics to combat crime, including a designation around the Chinatown neighborhood as a drug-free enforcement zone.

With this concentration of efforts downtown and particularly around our building, we are witnessing the city taking seriously the central role we can and will now play in downtown revitalization. The Mayor has articulated that we are a top priority for her administration, and we really believe it to be true.

Sports teams provide incredible benefits to the surrounding community and drive extraordinary economic impact and a strong public private partnership is essential to sustaining both – which the Mayor recognizes. According to research conducted by the DC Business Improvement District, activity at Capital One Arena generated $54 million in DC tax revenue in 2023. Across our region, public private partnerships are the norm for professional sports teams: the MLB’s Washington Nationals secured $700 million in public financing to build Nationals Park and $400 million in public financing to build Audi Field for the MLS’s D.C. United. The Maryland Stadium Authority recently announced a $1.2 billion investment for Oriole Park at Camden Yards, home of the MLB’s Baltimore Orioles and M&T Bank Stadium, home of the NFL’s Baltimore Ravens, each receiving $600 million for renovations and upgrades on top of the original public funding used in the planning, financing and construction of both.

So, through our own public-private partnership, we will transform Capital One Arena and engage in new space across Gallery Place to create a truly iconic epicenter – worthy of this iconic city. We will get more space, dedicated resources to create the family-friendly entertainment zone we’ve envisioned to service our millions of customers and support for our employees and athletes to make this a destination to attract and retain their talent.

What’s most inspiring in this moment is the City’s shared vision that we achieve great success in our business. The new downtown plan which Mayor Bowser has articulated is impressive and she has made financial commitment from the city. The passage of the new crime bill led by Councilmember Brooke Pinto is very important to all citizens and businesses.

I truly applaud the Mayor for recognizing the incredible value we bring, create and help foster and for evolving the business-friendly climate in D.C. And today we celebrate this incredible milestone for our business, for our city, for our employees, fans, and athletes!

Our work begins now to build a state-of-the-art marquee venue for with new seating options, five-star culinary experiences that go way beyond the traditional game-day fare, and cutting-edge technology, right in the middle of the city. We're on a mission to create a masterpiece – and redefine the sports and entertainment experience, not just for the DMV, but for all sports fans.

Get ready to be part of something extraordinary!

Ted

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thanks Ted, you too.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I'm glad. Or sorry. idk I aint reading all that. Congrats?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Canucks put Demko on LTIR, retroactive to the 9th

Fan-loving-tastic

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Cheering for the Avs in the west and Fancy Cats in the east

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

grack posted:

Fan-loving-tastic

Honestly not surprised. His 4-6 week knee injury last year lasted 3 months.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Levitate posted:

children are easy to hate though

True, but I make an exception for this perfect boy.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

grack posted:

Fan-loving-tastic

need room to call up bains that's all

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

More to the point, Dallas is the perfect team to bandwagon. Hard to hate unless you're like a Minnesota fan but they don't count (sorry Jhet and.. uh.. the other one). Good mix of wily old vets (who doesn't love pavelski?), exciting young stars, and they score lots of goals. Outside of maybe hakkenpaa and, if you're a Stars fan already, Suter, no notable players to hate. They aren't based in Canada and they've got the best 3rds in the league (Tron). So when your team gets to boot, come cheer with us!

Stanky.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cocaine Bear posted:

More to the point, Dallas is the perfect team to bandwagon. Hard to hate unless you're like a Minnesota fan but they don't count (sorry Jhet and.. uh.. the other one). Good mix of wily old vets (who doesn't love pavelski?), exciting young stars, and they score lots of goals. Outside of maybe hakkenpaa and, if you're a Stars fan already, Suter, no notable players to hate. They aren't based in Canada and they've got the best 3rds in the league (Tron). So when your team gets to boot, come cheer with us!

Stanky.

Counterpoint: they are Dallas cowboys adjacent and gently caress Dallas

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Stanky

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

What metrics would you like to use that show the Oilers are not in fact a better defensive team than the last 2 years? And I know everyone wants to say oh wow the Oilers are bad, but they made the conference finals two years ago and played a competitive series against the cup champs last year. Lets not pretend like those aren't real things.

The Oilers under Woodcroft did not improve defensively, they won by out chancing/outscoring other teams compared to previous years. Their defensive metrics did not change from Tippett to Woodcroft, their offensive output did.

The Oilers under Knoblauch are a better defensive team than they've been under any of the previous coaches and most of their offensive downturn this year to last is from their PP not being in full god mode, but simply arguably best in the league. Meanwhile they're hey've cut their GA/60 at 5x5 by almost half a goal (while maintaining their scoring) and improved the PK.

I'm not just stating bullshit, this is all real things you can look at real data to show.

I got a metric, they stink and are stupid

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I must admit that this was the funniest way for the Sabres to have their playoff hopes crushed. On Terry Pegula’s birthday, no less lmao

I hope they play like that in all the remaining games too.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The Sabres have been out of the playoff race since November bud.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I was on the Stars bandwagon weeks ago.

The Oilers must not win. They cannot be rewarded for a decade of tanking.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

I was on the Stars bandwagon weeks ago.

The Oilers must not win. They cannot be rewarded for a decade of tanking.
They didn't tank, they just sucked total poo poo and were run by morons. I don't think they did any "intentionally lose" moves the way that the Sabres just traded all their goalies in the McDavid year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They didn't tank, they just sucked total poo poo and were run by morons. I don't think they did any "intentionally lose" moves the way that the Sabres just traded all their goalies in the McDavid year.

Ya I'm not sure there's a year they purposefully tanked. They did insane poo poo instead like hiring Pat Quinn when he pretty much only showed up to give speeches.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I can't wait for the oilers to sweep the kings with 4 straight shutout wins and 12 mcdavid goals

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RC Cola posted:

I can't wait for the oilers to sweep the kings with 4 straight shutout wins and 12 mcdavid goals

If they can counter the Kings' trap game and score a poo poo load amount of goals I will be all for it.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I remember being so upset when Tim Murray left the Sens and thought the Sabres were getting such a competent GM. lol sike, yet another failson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1773108379394687185