Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Nix Panicus posted:

So its still just a mysterious undisclosed shell source and no budget?

Basically just a press release?

The fact that the proposed timeline for the procurement and the delivery of the shells keeps getting moved back should raise some eyebrows.. originally they were supposed to start arriving near the beginning of March if I remember correctly

Still.. they announced a dollar amount so maybe there is something there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i tire of ukraine

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Starsfan posted:

The fact that the proposed timeline for the procurement and the delivery of the shells keeps getting moved back should raise some eyebrows.. originally they were supposed to start arriving near the beginning of March if I remember correctly

Still.. they announced a dollar amount so maybe there is something there

Yeah, I recall thinking the Czech shell deal would top them up til the end of spring and then they'd be right back to shortages, but apparently its just shortages forever

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hey guys, what do you think of this hypothesis:
The Soviet/Russia economies are optimized for war time production, during peace time, they are only making civilian consumer goods half-heartedly. And when war time kicks in, the economy runs better when it has an external producer to compliment the missing civilian goods.

In the 00s and 10s Russia leaned on Europe as the external producer and in the 20s lean on China, that's why the Russian economy is running well right now. Soviet economy in the 80s was missing an external civilian good producer.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Mar 28, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Soviet economy always prioritized heavy industry and industrial development. Consumer goods never got as much attention as they needed despite some 5 year plans giving them a boost.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I don't know if that's true for the Russian economy, because they embraced liberal capitalism and sold off state assets that might have been retained for central planning.

e: and reading up on East Germany, their consumer goods were generally good, it's just they were not very good at winning the PR war against the west. East German furniture, for example, was much better made and high quality than in West Germany, but East Germans felt otherwise.

When this came up before it turned out East German jeans were much better made than Levis as well, they were just felt to be less fashionable, and so less good.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Would you really call that emphasizing military production though, or just trying to catch up to the west's century head start on industrialization alongside making up for the destruction wrought by nazis?

Although given the constant and very real threat of western aggression the military production was necessary

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Trabants and Ladas were and are both very good cars, and very impressive feats of engineering and production, but they weren't good consumer products. The thing is, how do you centrally plan around vibes? No state design bureau is going to develop the Pontiac Aztek.

e: Yugos as well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Trabants and Ladas were and are both very good cars, and very impressive feats of engineering and production, but they weren't good consumer products. The thing is, how do you centrally plan around vibes? No state design bureau is going to develop the Pontiac Aztek.

trabants are cool because they used recycled newspapers to build the body on some models so when they crashed youd get pieces of old soviet newspapers flying everywhere

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That's part of my argument, having good advertisement culture and good at selling civilians gimmick poo poo is an integral part of the consumer economy, and the Russians for whatever reason are not interested in it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Lada yes, they're good

Yugos were actually good consumer products but suffer from insane levels of rust even by the standards of the day

Trabants are objectively terrible vehicles though

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

In Training posted:

Did the US never actually send Ukraine new funds this year? Wild.

Little Israel is more important than Big Israel

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

That's part of my argument, having good advertisement culture and good at selling civilians gimmick poo poo is an integral part of the consumer economy, and the Russians for whatever reason are not interested in it.

Thats the thing Capitalism as a system is about creating demand where there is none hence the creation of marketing and the birth of modern propaganda. Communism as a sysytem rejects that as a source of making everyones lives poo poo. It didnt help that Western goods being hard to obtain in the East were gonna take on a mythical property, the thing I can't get a hold of or is hard to get a hold of MUST be better than what I have access too

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

It came down to the communists believing they could have unlimited treats *and* their basic needs taken care of by the state. The idea that it was an either/or prospect and the capitalists were choosing the treats - and the treats weren't even that great - was completely unfathomable

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

How many varieties of breakfast cereal did Soviet Russia have?

I rest my case.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Gorbachev-Os

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

It came down to the communists believing they could have unlimited treats *and* their basic needs taken care of by the state. The idea that it was an either/or prospect and the capitalists were choosing the treats - and the treats weren't even that great - was completely unfathomable

It's fascinating that Soviet citizens just assumed Western nations also gave their citizens free or heavily subsidized healthcare and housing and guaranteed employment, USSR really failed at the internal propaganda there

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Lot's of youtube talking heads very excited to see some French corpses.

A bit surprised about it, but I guess they're still not willing to face reality here, or maybe I'm not.

NATO trained soldier with NATO equipment will turn this thing around.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
See I don't think Russia having so much military surplus capacity is a communism vs capitalism thing, I think it has to do with the USSR was constantly at war for 2+ decades since founding.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If you were unfamiliar with the expert they selected, three guesses for what he's best known for

The Victims of Communism Memorial

Slava :freeland:

He looks like aatrek

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

looks like more than one reddit got taken out for being Russian Propaganda. luckily the free world still has r/worldnews, r/europe, r/ukraine etc so we can finally just focus on the truth

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

for real though, anyone know a decent place to get neutral updates and maps?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
WTF, the sub I go to check new Ukraine Russia Reports has gone private.

The west has gone desperate. Now you know they will definitely kick TikTok out of the US.

I will check new videos on bilibili, but they are not in English. I don't know any place I can follow or discuss new war videos in English.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

has any more information about the moscow attackers come out

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Discuss Ukraine and other topics of interest with your friends at Something Awful dot com. :iia:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

lobster shirt posted:

has any more information about the moscow attackers come out

Not much more concrete stuff, far as I know.

https://open.substack.com/pub/simplicius76/p/west-desperately-deflects-as-ukraines?r=1r645q&utm_medium=ios

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin will remind them

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Nah. The "Soviet Russia didn't sustain because of consumer goods" is a well-touted Western (and especially American) argument, but doesn't hold water against better historiography and more importantly, the holistic analysis that it does of the many combined factors, especially regarding the sequential political failures of the CPSU during the late 70s and throughout the 80s.

If consumer goods were a determinative factor, Cuba would have gone long ago, same to Vietnam, Laos, etc. It's an incredibly poor and reductive analysis.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

It's fascinating that Soviet citizens just assumed Western nations also gave their citizens free or heavily subsidized healthcare and housing and guaranteed employment, USSR really failed at the internal propaganda there

there is no propaganda that can beat the human mind when it's dead set on something, and the people were dead set on coca cola in cans and levi's jeans, the rest would be rationalized any way possible ("well all of the benefits we have, they can't just disappear, it will all still be here after removing communism")

edit: and even with all of that, the vote when it came down to it was majority for preserving the union

dgcf, if the party wasn't rotted through maybe they'd have pulled off something

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Mar 28, 2024

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

It seems to me that this was especially far truer in regards to East Germany and Eastern Europe in general than the USSR. There are lots of stories about people in Poland, Czechoslovakia etc just dumbfounded about the privatized companies not hiring many of them. Or having to pay rent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Also the USSR had plenty of consumer goods. It was Gorbachev's reforms that caused the availability of goods to go down, because without GOSPLAN to mandate that a factory manager had to produce baby socks and wooden toy cars, factory managers would instead chase after the highest-margin products. No more baby socks and toys, because of capitalism.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The secret is branding

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is a bit of a mixed bag. Various satellite states during the 1980s such as Romania, Poland, and to a lesser extent Hungary did actually have quite brutal austerity measures, it wasn't just propaganda, but most of it was they got themselves into hock with the Paris Club/IMF and choose to squeeze their consumer spending to pay those debts off usually by exporting consumer and agricultural goods. There is a reason why it was easy to turn them, and it wasn't just a Gorbachev-era f'up either.

The Lada was okay, there is a reason why they still exist on the roads of much of the former Soviet Union even 30 years later. The Yugo was generally pretty bad and the Trabant was worse, but at the same time, especially in the GDR, cars weren't a priority and Yugoslavia was just getting into international markets, and if they had a decade or two of stability, they probably could have improved on it.

Famously though a lot of Soviet-food was pretty high quality and the Soviets had high standards, there is a reason a GOST mark is considered a selling point still in modern-day Russia. Chocolate had high amounts of cocoa, ice cream had high butterfat, and they had their own soft drinks and other goods. By the late 1980s, it wasn't even things weren't being produced, in some ways, Soviet agriculture was doing better before, but literally "30-40%" was going "missing." This was likely due to farms and smaller producers being allowed to sell agricultural goods on the side while the central distribution system broke down. Food was being produced and just not getting stored, and mass panic buying was the result, including eventually lines and hunger.

The question is why by 1989-1990 when this was clearly causing an issue, helping to spur ethnic violence and separatism, the government didn't reverse itself, it is a interesting question.

The Soviets did have a wide variety of consumer goods, but of course the US was much better at selling themselves. That said, the satellite states were kind of a mixed bag and it depended on the country and era since Poland and Romania were in fact quite grim at times.

Btw, modern-day Russia is using surprisingly tight export and price controls, and it is generally working, and prices for good and many everyday consumer goods is shockingly low, surprising even Tucker. Russian wages are low when calculated in dollars but in terms of lived experience it isn't that bad and if your rent is $300 dollars a month and your grocery bill is $30 bucks and education and health care are handled...it isn't really that onerous. The big complaint is usually cars (which are priced in international terms) and electronics, in particular, usually people have to buy a budget Chinese phone rather than the latest iphone.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Mar 28, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Cars kill society and I don’t think this Internet thing will take off, so I see it as a win for Rossiya citizens.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Cars kill society and I don’t think this Internet thing will take off, so I see it as a win for Rossiya citizens.

Broadband at home internet and cell phone planes are dirt cheap in Russia, like $5-6 bucks. Usually, the issue is in particular, is Apple products. Can a society survive with limited affordability of Apple products? I guess we will see.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ardennes posted:

Broadband at home internet and cell phone planes are dirt cheap in Russia, like $5-6 bucks. Usually, the issue is in particular, is Apple products. Can a society survive with limited affordability of Apple products? I guess we will see.

DoJ is about to test that theory.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
My father complained at one point that vegetables in the Brezhnev era had so much nitrate in them that they would cause cancer and that people would have to buy edible vegetables on the black market or something like that. I also dimly remember from my very early childhood that meat from the tail end of the Soviet union was gristly and awful as well.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

isn't it only the US where apple has a huge market share, it's like 20%-30% everywhere else?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

isn't it only the US where apple has a huge market share, it's like 20%-30% everywhere else?

Very high market share (50%+) in Anglo and Nordic countries, plus Taiwan and HK if you break them out as markets

It's basically a luxury good and you could probably find similar correlation for like... BMW/Tesla ownership or per capita consumption of Fiji/Evian/San Pellegrino

I think there's also absolutely bonkers numbers (90%+) in Pacific islands but similar to why 85% of cars there are Priuses it's likely because they're the market for 3rd generation refurbished goods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sapozhnik posted:

My father complained at one point that vegetables in the Brezhnev era had so much nitrate in them that they would cause cancer and that people would have to buy edible vegetables on the black market or something like that. I also dimly remember from my very early childhood that meat from the tail end of the Soviet union was gristly and awful as well.

Nitrates can cause cancer but also the rate of deaths is usually pretty low. Also, the issue is usually workers and ground water contamination. Also, DDT was used in the US until 1972 and rivers would routinely catch fire.

It isn't surprising that meat would be bad at that point, if anything, the fact that if you had meat in 1990-1991, your family was probably not doing that bad. I know friends who remember empty shelves in bakeries.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Mostly, but in Russia it is probably less than even that at this point especially since some essential apps got locked out.