Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol what, I just stumbled into unlocking Mystic Spearhand by talking to this random guy*. No quest or anything, it just said it was unlocked after I talked to him 3 or 4 times.

* who is strongly implied to be some past Arisen or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well to be fair you also learned every other vocation by talking to some other guy, behind a counter.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Welcome to vocations r us, unfortunately we are out of stock of warrior and sorc.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man the inn in Battahl is such a trap lmao

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Man the inn in Battahl is such a trap lmao

which inn? the actual inn or the tourist trap?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Arisen gay so what

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This quest hosed with me because I never assumed the forger would tell on himself like that. Like, he's a forger and his job depends on people not knowing what they have is a forgery! I only found out after the quest that you can talk to the forger while Ed asks you to wait there, and then you can bribe him to tell Ed the forgery is actually the real orb.

There's probably all sorts of weird quest outcomes in this game.

Oh it gets better: there's a 3rd way to solve that quest:

It requires you to duplicate the Orb through the Sphinx (or cheating).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

Oh it gets better: there's a 3rd way to solve that quest:

It requires you to duplicate the Orb through the Sphinx (or cheating).

Hah, holy poo poo that's right, you CAN do that

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
for how fun they made sorcerer i wish they would have given it more spells, it's so fun to do hosed up stuff but i want dumb poo poo like glicel to just evaporate health bars (things would also need more health bars)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does NG+ just start the game over with all your stuff and no changes at all?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, when you get to the Warfarer/Magick Archer trainer's place naturally, by following the main story, roughly how far from the end of the game are you?
Because it feels like they've put those classes right before the ending.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ytlaya posted:

lol what, I just stumbled into unlocking Mystic Spearhand by talking to this random guy*. No quest or anything, it just said it was unlocked after I talked to him 3 or 4 times.

* who is strongly implied to be some past Arisen or something

He's not a random guy, but if you miss a pretty major event he kind of becomes one

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lmao, I was just exploring some near Havre and somehow ended up making this giant journey through various caves that ended in the capital of Battahl. Was not expecting that, thought I had to go through the checkpoint.

Was really tough near the end; everyone with only half their max health and was accosted by a Gryphon and harpies later on that I barely escaped. And everyone is Heavy with loot.

Will be very satisfying getting the port crystal here (or using one if there isn't one).

Edit: Extremely satisfying to finally arrive at the city, buy a new house, deposit all my poo poo, and sleep in my new house's bed. I was very worried for a while that I'd need to ferrystone back home.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 28, 2024

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I'm trying to make archer work for my main pawn (since I've played it for a while and have some gear for it), but she's not keeping her distance very well and is getting mobbed up pretty bad in the second region. I'm wondering whether it could be worth switching her inclination to calm... anyone get a sense of whether they fight more appropriately for the class?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jack Trades posted:

Also, when you get to the Warfarer/Magick Archer trainer's place naturally, by following the main story, roughly how far from the end of the game are you?
Because it feels like they've put those classes right before the ending.

Right before the end. They really should have had Magick Archer unlock in Sacred Arbor not there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Where do you even go to buy the house? I want a house.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I've noticed is that Warrior pawns (or at least ones with a certain disposition) with the "launch someone into the air" ability seem to use it constantly and often in situations where it's either pointless or outright dangerous.

This one rear end in a top hat pawn kept trying to launch me into the air while I was on the side of a cliff! I literally only survived one of them due to my Sorceror's hover ability. It's like he was deliberately trying to kill me. And during a fight with a golem in the cave he just sat there trying to launch me (a Sorceror currently, so completely pointless to launch) instead of fighting it.

I think the combination of one of the pawn inclinations and that skill is just really bad.

Nuebot posted:

Where do you even go to buy the house? I want a house.

When I entered the city (Battahl) from the Eastern side (because of the bizarre way I entered Battahl) some lady just accosted me in some narrow path asking if I wanted a house for 30k.

If you mean in the original capital city, that's from the house-sitting quest.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 28, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I haven't found a house sitting quest and somehow I feel I'm going to get to cat town before I do.

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I've noticed is that Warrior pawns (or at least ones with a certain disposition) with the "launch someone into the air" ability seem to use it constantly and often in situations where it's either pointless or outright dangerous.

This one rear end in a top hat pawn kept trying to launch me into the air while I was on the side of a cliff! I literally only survived one of them due to my Sorceror's hover ability. It's like he was deliberately trying to kill me. And during a fight with a golem in the cave he just sat there trying to launch me (a Sorceror currently, so completely pointless to launch) instead of fighting it.

I want to believe in the secret murderer inclination

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Saraiguma posted:

once you deliver those items and fight the spiky enemy you can just gently caress off for 3 months and do whatever you want, no apparent timer

Yeah I figured that I probably just couldn't find my way out of that area. Still, I didn't want to even go there or fight that enemy yet and was right in the middle of an expedition when it suddenly started playing cutscenes. So, definitely a good idea to keep in mind, especially if you'd rather have one big finale. Very glad I wasn't completely locked in though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Captain Oblivious posted:

Right before the end. They really should have had Magick Archer unlock in Sacred Arbor not there.

there's even a magick bow and magick archer specific armor there that's obsolete by the time you get the vocation. super weird decision

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Nuebot posted:

I haven't found a house sitting quest and somehow I feel I'm going to get to cat town before I do.

I think you actually have to go the area for that quest to start. That's how it worked for me anyways. Take a stroll through the residential district, which you may not spend much time in since there's nothing there to do.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im not gonna lie, as much as i enjoyed playing it, this game feels totally unfinished after you finish the main quests in Vermund which i guess is just dragons dogma tradition now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Which of the Sorceror Meister spells is better (or which situations are each better in)? Currently I'm using Maelstrom, which seems pretty good, but I'm curious to try the other.

Some quest stuff in this game is pretty unintuitive. I had looked up how to get the other Sorceror Meister spell + the Mage Meister spell, and you have to go to this house in the middle of nowhere that there's a good chance you already visited (and there's also a good chance the quest doesn't even trigger, since you need both grandparents physically out of the house). And you need to have made copies of the grimoires to get both spells. How would you know that normally?

Unrelated question - what's up with some Drake talking with me telepathically or something when I was in Havre Village. Surprised me and never figured out why it happened. There was a Drake nearby when I first arrived, so maybe it was him?

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you want you can still get Magic Archer earlier, though, right? I'm thinking of trying to do it while I'm (vaguely) in the area, since it's the vocation I was most interested in from the beginning.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Neo_Crimson posted:

There's a couple armor pieces that need them as upgrade material but that's it.

Sloober posted:

some things require them to forge upgrades. its not very common so you would only have to keep a couple

Cool, thanks for the info! Will keep a couple in storage.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

If you want you can still get Magic Archer earlier, though, right? I'm thinking of trying to do it while I'm (vaguely) in the area, since it's the vocation I was most interested in from the beginning.

Yeah, you even get told to go to the spot where it starts in a side quest

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

im not gonna lie, as much as i enjoyed playing it, this game feels totally unfinished after you finish the main quests in Vermund which i guess is just dragons dogma tradition now.

It's definitely more finished than DD1.

Maybe by the time DD5 comes out they'll have a finished game. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ytlaya posted:

Which of the Sorceror Meister spells is better (or which situations are each better in)? Currently I'm using Maelstrom, which seems pretty good, but I'm curious to try the other.

Some quest stuff in this game is pretty unintuitive. I had looked up how to get the other Sorceror Meister spell + the Mage Meister spell, and you have to go to this house in the middle of nowhere that there's a good chance you already visited (and there's also a good chance the quest doesn't even trigger, since you need both grandparents physically out of the house). And you need to have made copies of the grimoires to get both spells. How would you know that normally?

Unrelated question - what's up with some Drake talking with me telepathically or something when I was in Havre Village. Surprised me and never figured out why it happened. There was a Drake nearby when I first arrived, so maybe it was him?

You don’t actually need to forge the grimoires to get both spells. Both quest givers only need 3 out of the 5 potential grimoires and there are multiple copies of several of them in the game world. To my knowledge only Towering Earth and Let There Be Light are unique.

And yes you could theoretically unlock MA early with foreknowledge and shenanigans but it would be a slog.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait a sec - I'm reading that there's a missile quest chain where you have to return to Melve before Feast of Deception. That blows!

Edit: Well, I guess there's NG+ for stuff like that

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 28, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I love the "throw your pawn" skill for moments like this, even if I can only rarely get it to work in combat. Even when I do manage to get my pawn to land on an enemy, they'll still complain about me seemingly not doing it right. Anybody know what's up with that?

https://i.imgur.com/cdbXmoP.mp4

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Ytlaya posted:

When I entered the city (Battahl) from the Eastern side (because of the bizarre way I entered Battahl) some lady just accosted me in some narrow path asking if I wanted a house for 30k.

If you mean in the original capital city, that's from the house-sitting quest.
There's two houses to get in the first city I think. A random NPC in the fancy neighbourhood asks if you want to buy one as well. Didn't get that one because it was quite expensive iirc.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Play posted:

I think you actually have to go the area for that quest to start. That's how it worked for me anyways. Take a stroll through the residential district, which you may not spend much time in since there's nothing there to do.

I'm pretty sure she has a random chance to spawn behind the inn, so you mount be able to force it by dozing off at the nearby bench.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Why can I not give money to the guy who wants to sell the orb anyway and give the orb to the other dude? What a stupidly forced choice.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GhostDog posted:

Why can I not give money to the guy who wants to sell the orb anyway and give the orb to the other dude? What a stupidly forced choice.

Simply have two orbs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Before I get got by it again: Does the game frequently repopulate open world areas so a quest can take place there? I cleared out Trevo Mine and Marve Village but the game reset them when I reached the Vernworth and the main quest directed me at them. I had to go back out and do them again, where they acted like it was the first time I'd visited. Is that going to happen again?

edit: I guess I expected the game to recognize I'd already done the "monster culling" it was asking for. In one of the three spots, it did. Odd stuff.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 28, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GhostDog posted:

There's a third solution (if it's the border town quest I think you mean): Get the forgery guy to make you a fake orb, letting you give one to each. If you give the fake one to the dickhead he'll have it verified and you need to bribe the forgery guy to claim it's real, losing you a bit of money but still getting you the other rewards. If you give the fake one to the guy who just wants to run you probably get everything no questions asked, but I guess the guy eventually gets hosed over by it.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah you can indeed, alongside the other class that unlocks there. Really you can get them as soon as you get to Battahl, if you go the back way to the volcano island zone through a long cave dungeon on the South-East edge of Battahl..

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

There's a third solution (if it's the border town quest I think you mean): Get the forgery guy to make you a fake orb, letting you give one to each. If you give the fake one to the dickhead he'll have it verified and you need to bribe the forgery guy to claim it's real, losing you a bit of money but still getting you the other rewards. If you give the fake one to the guy who just wants to run you probably get everything no questions asked, but I guess the guy eventually gets hosed over by it.

Or the fourth solution: duplicate the orb via the Sphinx and let everyone have one

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Nemo2342 posted:

Or the fourth solution: duplicate the orb via the Sphinx and let everyone have one

or just forge it twice and then sell the original, gently caress those nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Capcom's game survey:

https://www.enqform.capcom.com/form/pub/form1/dd2_en2

I filled in the survey asking for better performance, more difficulty, dungeons, and Wilhelmina. :(

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 28, 2024