Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Your NHL first star of the week ladies and gentlemen:

https://x.com/OVECHKlN/status/1773074358329565337?s=20

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2024/03/28/alex-ovechkins-flamin-hot-cheetos-sub-diet/

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

Ted Leonsis statement:

I used to have nonspecific good vibes about Ted but that attempt to move left a sour taste in my mouth.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
A real billionaire capitalist would have threatened to move the teams somewhere else, far away from the DMV. folded so easily, no wonder the Wizards have been allowed to stink this long, and the Capitals are only good because they stunk and got a generational player in Ovi.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ted likes being a little oligarch around here though

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yup. He tried to buy the Nationals last year from the Lerner family, they wouldn’t accept his lowball offer. He’s desperate for TV content during the summer when basketball and hockey are done. He’ll probably try again at some point.

Biggest reason the Alexandria deal didn’t happen is because he went all in on Republican Governor Glenn Youngkin, thinking he could ram it through. The rejection was more about “gently caress you Glenn Youngkin” from the Democratic controlled Senate and House than about letting the move happen. A democratic governor probably could’ve got it through. He’s also desperate to get a deal in place now before the Washington Commanders stadium enters the fray. Nobody gonna give a poo poo about his teams once that happens, everybody wants the football team.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 28, 2024

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Just from raw guessing, I would not have figured Matthews would be ahead of Ovechkin over their first 550 games but

Kind of shocked that Ovi is 63 assists ahead of Matthews in this timeframe.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Probably a lot of rebounds and deflections. Ovi took a shitload of shots

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He was a drat fine passer off the rush when he still had legs. Dude could fly and throw something cross-crease like nobody's business

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
In hindsight, post-lockout hockey was a kickass time to be a fan. Dead Puck Era over, Crosby vs Ovi calder race and then all the playoff matchups they had that lived up to the hype. gently caress that whiny fat bastard Brodeur forever for getting rid of Ovis tinted visor

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Dirty Burger posted:

In hindsight, post-lockout hockey was a kickass time to be a fan. Dead Puck Era over, Crosby vs Ovi calder race and then all the playoff matchups they had that lived up to the hype. gently caress that whiny fat bastard Brodeur forever for getting rid of Ovis tinted visor

I was always a hockey fan growing up, but I started following it that much closer post-lockout. I think in high school, I started to pay less attention. Which is funny in retrospect, because it was the last time the Leafs were good for a long, long time. So I didn't know how good I had it.

It's why Crosby is one of my all-time favourite players. It was like, "who is this kid? Sid...the Kid? Huh, with a nickname like that, I better watch him."

The playoffs that year ruled. Probably my favourite playoff year, other than 92-93, which is mostly because of Rock Em Sock Em 5.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

th3t00t posted:

Kind of shocked that Ovi is 63 assists ahead of Matthews in this timeframe.
Ovechkin was top 10 in assists for 3 years in this period. It took a while before he started putting up twice as many goals as assists.

The Dirty Burger posted:

It was just a completely unpredictable year. If you looked at the preseason predictions that year there were a fair amount of people expecting the Bruins or the Penguins to be major contenders, the Flyers were the overall favourites, Carolina and Buffalo had the second worst odds...

The double rookie class was wild. Lundqvist was nominated for the Vezina but not the Calder.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's always been a hugely underrated part of Ovechkin's game that he has always been very willing to pass off to an open teammate if the opposition focuses too hard on getting between him and the net. He was always a very good playmaker with good instincts for when to take the shot and when to pass off.

Short of Gretzky and Lemieux there is no doubt in my mind that Ovechkin was the greatest offensive player of all time. (e: actually short of just Gretzky honestly, since Ovi has played 500 more games than Lemieux) Crosby's defense made him still the better player overall though.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 28, 2024

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Remember the Russian goalie who got sent to a gulag when he tried to come over? His life is about to get even worse

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1773383018284998746

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's always been a hugely underrated part of Ovechkin's game that he has always been very willing to pass off to an open teammate if the opposition focuses too hard on getting between him and the net. He was always a very good playmaker with good instincts for when to take the shot and when to pass off.

Short of Gretzky and Lemieux there is no doubt in my mind that Ovechkin was the greatest offensive player of all time. (e: actually short of just Gretzky honestly, since Ovi has played 500 more games than Lemieux) Crosby's defense made him still the better player overall though.

He's probably underrated in playmaking but you can name like 50 guys who are/were obviously better at it. No doubt he's one of the best goal scorers of all time, possibly the best.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

sedative posted:

Remember the Russian goalie who got sent to a gulag when he tried to come over? His life is about to get even worse

I’d still take torts over a Russian prison

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1773402158672543879

Insanity, hes a loving Terminator.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

sedative posted:

lol I thought it was going to say he was being shipped to the front in Ukraine.

Gotta wonder how much the Flyers paid for this.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

deoju posted:

lol I thought it was going to say he was being shipped to the front in Ukraine.

Gotta wonder how much the Flyers paid for this.

Is CSKA Moscow on the sanctions lists due to being owned by Rosneft? Do they still have ties to the actual army other than the name? Briere going to jail for sending money under the table to a Russian oligarch/army for a hockey deal would be quite a story.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/BenStandig/status/1773093445202039014?s=20

Yup, once Maryland was off the table they took the DC deal. Like I said, the upcoming Commanders stadium is the real prize that everyone gonna want.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

GET THE gently caress IN IVAN LETS loving GO

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hell yeah billionaires getting called on their bluffs and still succesfully shaking down the public for millions.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

pseudodragon posted:

Is CSKA Moscow on the sanctions lists due to being owned by Rosneft? Do they still have ties to the actual army other than the name? Briere going to jail for sending money under the table to a Russian oligarch/army for a hockey deal would be quite a story.

I'm really just speculating based on the following:
-the flyers need a goalie. CSKA knows this.
-bribery is an everyday part of business in Russia from top to bottom.
-Russians know how to launder money.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This may also explain why the Flyers didn't pursue a backup at the deadline. They full well know Petersen and Sandstrom aren't up to this

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Flyers have announced MAGA Bible giveaway night for the first 2500 fans.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

deoju posted:

I'm really just speculating based on the following:
-the flyers need a goalie. CSKA knows this.
-bribery is an everyday part of business in Russia from top to bottom.
-Russians know how to launder money.

Yup evil Russia my man. Brought to you by the people trying to put the OUN-B on our national heroes list

Maybe they just signed an agreement to get lucrative assets for a player who doesn't wanna stay?

Like this happens in soccer regularly. Make a transfer payment for a promising forward who outgrew Brazil's league

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

sedative posted:

Ryan Johansen has to be going to Russia as part of this deal right

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Isentropy posted:

Yup evil Russia my man. Brought to you by the people trying to put the OUN-B on our national heroes list

Maybe they just signed an agreement to get lucrative assets for a player who doesn't wanna stay?

Like this happens in soccer regularly. Make a transfer payment for a promising forward who outgrew Brazil's league

I won't claim to be an expert on Russia, but I like to think my opinions aren't uninformed.

However, I admittedly don't know much about transfer agreements.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tolstoy was right about the suspension of the KHL transfer agreement.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Adding the entire Philadelphia Flyers organization to the Victims of Communism Monument.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
i demand to see RAS bookshelf that led them to the trouba/rempe canonization posting energy

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Hell yeah billionaires getting called on their bluffs and still succesfully shaking down the public for millions.

They really had Ted over a barrel and then were like "Here's your money bitch!"

But then, D.C. gov so accustomed to just kowtowing to developers I guess they just didn't know what to do with leverage.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Did you get an educational trophy for that bookshelf?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

deoju posted:

I won't claim to be an expert on Russia, but I like to think my opinions aren't uninformed.

Next time I’m arguing with someone here I’m gonna post my bookcase full of exclusively Steve Harvey self-help books

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

deoju posted:

Yeah I take my L. I just understood these sorts of agreements were common between lesser leagues and the Big League.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You mean a degree? Yes. Not that I use it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

What’s your analysis on the new Ghostbusters movie compared to the originals?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Wonderllama posted:

i demand to see RAS bookshelf that led them to the trouba/rempe canonization posting energy

it's WH40k all the way down

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rex rabidorum vires posted:

those used stickers are right out of college bookstores, so probably at LEAST a BA

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

deoju posted:

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Levitate posted:

it's WH40k all the way down

picture a bookshelf of garth ennis graphic novels