Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Look forward to casting my vote for Joe biden!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I will never retire, but if I did I would simply post through it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

The RV thing is always a loving stupid plan because it's not a thing you want to do when you're old. The reason cruises are full of olds is that it's an entirely curated experience that doesn't require you to, you know, drive a loving massive vehicle for hours every day. It feels like half of my mom's friends had this exact same plan and the only one who actually managed to buy the RV never uses it.

my grandpa was a teamster for 40 years, used to driving something that big, and still burned out on the rv thing after one trip lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

tv and radio are dogshit. your parents are right to complain about them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1773376775499714808?t=rj02LE-6Sl-l7ofPQIDrmw&s=19

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
my retirement plan is getting drunk in the yard shooting a pump BB gun at old cd’s. it’s gonna own. I’m gonna stream it and keep PB of made up challenges and poo poo.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

hope the dude goes full face tat and gets yoked

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oddly enough my own mom retired, bought a really tiny house with a huge yard that she's slowly turning into a giant garden, adopted a dog, started volunteering at the senior center and working in their thrift store, and she's never been happier. She was crowing to me the other day that her supplemental medicare or whatever is paying for her YMCA membership now so she can use their pool for effectively free.

I'm pretty jealous of her. Not only grabbed the brass ring but actually converted her boomer winnings into happiness.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

euphronius posted:

Have these people considered helping with their grandkids

lol

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Any one of these old people that cannot exist without a boss telling them what to do can do my job for me while I go do literally anything else. They get to live longer and I get to have a better life. It is win-win.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Please do not wish the hell of boomer grandparents ‘helping out’ on anyone.

lolol

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

no lube so what posted:

as long as he keeps the hair

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My father in law is going through that right now, retired four or five years ago and he’s become a ghost of himself. Used to talk about the little carpentry projects he was going to work on, now he just sits in the living room and stares at the TV all day.

I’ve got a patient at a long term care home i finally got the family to agree to banning Fox News for.

He would get so loving agitated by everything and refuse his meds and nurses there would basically have to rub Ativan gel all over his body to get him to calm down.

The final straw was him ripping out his ostomy in front of his son and the family was like “yeah okay we’ll agree to this.”

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

I’ve got a patient at a long term care home i finally got the family to agree to banning Fox News for.

He would get so loving agitated by everything and refuse his meds and nurses there would basically have to rub Ativan gel all over his body to get him to calm down.

The final straw was him ripping out his ostomy in front of his son and the family was like “yeah okay we’ll agree to this.”

just put on some msnbc instead

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just remember there are huge, pervasive industries designed around scamming all the boomer wealth.

Lifestyle communities, reverse mortgages, Medicare scams, straight up phone scams that aren’t regulated etc.

Get poo poo out of their name as soon as you’re able.

The Oldest Man posted:

just put on some msnbc instead

I did that as a cna lol

FizFashizzle has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Mar 28, 2024

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My dad retired when COVID hit and hes doing pretty ok but the man is one of those strange people who seem to be immune to TV and social media. He's the terror of the local pickleball courts.

He is also super religious and runs a financial freedom Dave Ramsey class. They polled the attendees in the current session and they had around 550k in non-mortgage debt across 8 families with about half contributing the bulk and two over 100k.

One family has two incomes and still has to live with their mom and her boyfriend and all their kids (in a very low COL area) and it sounds pretty miserable.

I feel like it's a one two punch for a lot of people. Every year the basics get more expensive but so does the pressure to consume. It's not like marketers are getting worse at their job. They are competing even harder for a shrinking pool of income and it's not an easy thing for folks to resist.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

post hole digger posted:

tv and radio are dogshit. your parents are right to complain about them.

I agree but they refuse to do literally anything else. I tried to hook them up with my Netflix account but they just want to rage at local news.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kind of annoyed that they picked a picture of him where he basically just looks like a Jewish caricature from Nazi propaganda

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Just remember there are huge, pervasive industries designed around scamming all the boomer wealth.

Lifestyle communities, reverse mortgages, Medicare scams, straight up phone scams that aren’t regulated etc.

Get poo poo out of their name as soon as you’re able.

I do check in on her frequently but last year I got her one of those mystery subscription boxes that has like puzzles and stuff themed around a real-world mystery for her birthday and when she started getting the boxes and didn't know what it was she called the attorney general on me, so I think she's still got her defensive faculties intact for the time being

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

in conclusion,

no lube so what posted:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

All the 60+ people in my family spend their copious amounts of free time complaining about anything and everything. They get together to complain about stuff and take long road trips to facilitate getting together to complain about stuff.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
my parents help watch the grandkids a lot and they're pretty good at it. Better with the grandkids than they were with us. Grandparents ftw

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my mom just constantly talks about her medical issues and doctors appointments and procedures non stop. to everyone. all the time

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Watching Fox News all day is obviously going to make mood and cognition worse, but it’s also a symptom of depression itself.

The boomer generation is completely hosed without going to a job every day; it’s why they won’t retire.

Ours understands work life balance a little better, and I don’t think by the time we hit retirement we’ll be the largest cohort of undiagnosed depression. Still, gotta have hobbies.

If your parents are getting up there, try to get them involved in something. My dad plays 90 holes of golf a week.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

bij posted:

All the 60+ people in my family spend their copious amounts of free time complaining about anything and everything. They get together to complain about stuff and take long road trips to facilitate getting together to complain about stuff.

I met my girlfriend's 89 year old grandmother a while back. She was complaining to me that her book club about Jewish immigrants immediately got derailed since the book club started complaining about mexicans

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

my mom just constantly talks about her medical issues and doctors appointments and procedures non stop. to everyone. all the time

who doesnt

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Complaining is a hobby and it owns.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Complaining is a hobby and it owns.

True but so is gardening

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A bunch of people I know retired out of the military after 20 years (so they're 38), got the VA disability added on top of their pension, and then immediately started new careers.

Like, 6,000 dollars a month of free money for life isn't enough (and free, decent medical care)? Gotta go work 60 hours a week and never be home.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

True but so is gardening

gardening owns

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FizFashizzle posted:

If your parents are getting up there, try to get them involved in something. My dad plays 90 holes of golf a week.

yah there's a lot of old person activities out there. my mom is a seamstress and takes no-cost commissions from around the neighborhood. my dad had a contractor license back in the day and now he does volunteer house restoration for a local mutual aid group.

euphronius posted:

you haven't called in three weeks, son!! also my bursitis is acting up again

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

I do check in on her frequently but last year I got her one of those mystery subscription boxes that has like puzzles and stuff themed around a real-world mystery for her birthday and when she started getting the boxes and didn't know what it was she called the attorney general on me, so I think she's still got her defensive faculties intact for the time being

lmao

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
There is something incredibly bleak about retiring at age 70, sitting down in front of the TV and turning to dust

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Also vivarium is a great movie

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

biceps crimes posted:

i made my LinkedIn account back like ten years ago when it was kind of just a resume site. I reactivated my account recently after my company did layoffs and it is the most deranged thing I’ve seen on the internet. it’s truly a cursed place, my feed was filled with absolutely psychotic posting about value and leadership and a bunch of boomers posting selfies at sales conferences alongside quotes. filled me with dread

It is also just recruiters posting recruiting memes at each other. Very annoying.

Who uses it beyond “I need a new job let’s see what’s out there”? True psychos

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

loquacius posted:

ADHD when we were kids was just "this boy is being a pain in the rear end, give him some drugs"

I have it and it went undiagnosed my whole childhood despite being pretty obvious to me now, because I was an indoor kid and got good grades so obviously there was no problem

everyone's mileage may vary, but I had go getter ladder climber parents and I was a good kid who got pretty good grades and stayed quiet. But my sister went from being a C student to an A student overnight w/ adderall, so they figured why not take as to Dr. Pillmill too, group discount.

I don't remember age 13-19 much. It's all a speedy blur where my mask was in autopilot and i just held on.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Luckily millennials will die of colon cancer way before that happens to them

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

Luckily millennials will die of colon cancer way before that happens to them

eating rear end, busting rear end, dying of rear end

the millennial story

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Adderall gives me tunnel vision in my mental focus. Got to gently caress to your personality especially when it’s developing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sanlav posted:

I don't remember much. It's all a speedy blur where my mask was in autopilot and i just held on.

Mr president?