Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Med is nice to swim in but all the action is happening on the beach beside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1773061029573845312

He’s got $8 billion now why does he need to beg for money

He has $500million in cash ready for his campaign that he would use to self fund

*stands ib front of god framed paintings*

Give me money

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

My locked in prediction is that everything stays the same until October then I finally get a pet unicorn

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

UFOTacoMan posted:

By Thomas B. Edsall

quote:

Wayne King, a former party vice chairman, warned ... that the N.C. G.O.P. is no longer a big tent party.”

lol this can't be real

as a big tent party their vice was wayne king

guess the nc gop went woke and now they are paying the price

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

magiccarpet posted:

Give me money

Yes Mr president!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Crazypoops posted:

My locked in prediction is that everything stays the same until October then I finally get a pet unicorn

My prediction is that, should Trump win, every American citizen will poo poo their pants and yell "Turpm!" all at once.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

P. Diddy

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

William Bear posted:

My prediction is that, should Trump win, every American citizen will poo poo their pants and yell "Turpm!" all at once.

Easy when that's every day

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

Give me money

no way that’s real gold

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

VideoKid posted:

no way that’s real gold

Solid gold

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

emfive posted:

that's an incredibly good play and the people in it are amazing

it's kind-of sad that lots of Shakespeare is never performed, or rarely performed, and kids don't study it really because it's touchy in a modern context (school), because it's actually about reality and schools don't like reality.

wait kids dont study shakespeare in school any more? IN MY DAY in california a number of his plays (and a lot of his poetry) were required reading

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Slumfrog posted:

as a big tent party their vice was wayne king

lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/dcarterruff/status/1773066497922936930?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

He died doing what he loved: getting high and yelling at people online

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

piss guzzler 420 posted:

best shakespeare adaptation to the screen is 'throne of blood,' if you diasagree ur a lib

it's very good

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

piss guzzler 420 posted:

best shakespeare adaptation to the screen is 'throne of blood,' if you diasagree ur a lib

there's a really good 1970s BBC production of Antony and Cleopatra that's authentic and good, also has Patrick Stewart as Enobarbus

The Greenaway "Tempest" (Prospero's Books) was OK but the Tempest is not really a "plot" play.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

kenneth branagh hamlet is really good too, what a cast. Kate Winslet, Judy Dench, Jack Lemon, Billy Crystal, Robin Williams, Richard Attenborough... I think Brian Blessed was in there as the ghost too?

e: oh and gerard depardieu and charleton heston

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Consolidated Ed posted:

wait kids dont study shakespeare in school any more? IN MY DAY in california a number of his plays (and a lot of his poetry) were required reading

yea they kind-of study it, of course I'm talking about a very long time ago. Shakespeare content is really deep, you can't just tell people to read Measure For Measure and ask them questions on what it was about.

I took a shakespeare class as an undergrad and it was not very deep. Mostly my appreciation has come from reading as an old.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

thats hot lol

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

alnilam posted:

kenneth branagh hamlet is really good too, what a cast. Kate Winslet, Judy Dench, Jack Lemon, Billy Crystal, Robin Williams, Richard Attenborough... I think Brian Blessed was in there as the ghost too?

yea I liked it a lot but those history plays without context don't mean a whole lot. And the Falstaff plays (not Merry Wives of course) are better drama.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i think romeo and juliet is still part of the average curriculum as it's something pretty easy for kids to figure out

also they can just show the baz luhrman version with leo

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

patrick stewart rules, im up to s3 of tng and its gotten soooo much better

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

The Harold Bloom book "Invention of the Human" about the plays is really good, if you want to go next-level on Shakespeare. Bloom is problematic as a sex pest or something like that but you can read the book anyway.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hamlet isn't one of the history plays, you fool, you absolute nincompoop

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

thehandtruck posted:

thats hot lol

Thank God LBJ isn't still alive. I don't think I could survive his idea of humiliation.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

who gives a poo poo what larry david has to say

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
when i was in high school we spent a month on romeo and juliet, but they gave us some fairy tale student version. then obviously copied the exam questions from a real teaching plan, on the real symbolism and word choice and poo poo, the whole class failed and that report card was basically an asterisk

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

piss guzzler 420 posted:

patrick stewart rules, im up to s3 of tng and its gotten soooo much better

yeah the first two seasons have some gems, but s3 is when it kicks into high gear

but it's mostly character-driven and you need to go through those first two seasons to get why the character stuff is so good

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
Venus and Adonis feels like it should be required reading for high schoolers lol

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Joementum posted:

i think romeo and juliet is still part of the average curriculum as it's something pretty easy for kids to figure out

also they can just show the baz luhrman version with leo

that's actually a really good rendition of the play.

The thing is even that play is really really deep if you want to get into it. I mean a real high school class could spend an entire year on only one of the plays, easily.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Joementum posted:

yeah the first two seasons have some gems, but s3 is when it kicks into high gear

but it's mostly character-driven and you need to go through those first two seasons to get why the character stuff is so good

S2E9 is a landmark

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

if i was a billionaire I'd be doing this instead of buying twitter or whatever

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

emfive posted:

that's actually a really good rendition of the play.

The thing is even that play is really really deep if you want to get into it. I mean a real high school class could spend an entire year on only one of the plays, easily.

yeah i love the lurhman version

but it's one of the more easily accessible plays and of course the theme "my parents hate my crush" is extremely relatable to high school kids

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

alnilam posted:

Hamlet isn't one of the history plays, you fool, you absolute nincompoop

oh lol I imagined it was the HV movie

yea well Hamlet is really difficult

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

emfive posted:

there's a really good 1970s BBC production of Antony and Cleopatra that's authentic and good, also has Patrick Stewart as Enobarbus

The Greenaway "Tempest" (Prospero's Books) was OK but the Tempest is not really a "plot" play.

I got to see Patrick Stewart in the lead for The Tempest that played at the outdoor theater in Central Park in '95. It was afrigginmazing

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

emfive posted:

Personally most US politics is awful to me and I just hope somebody truly progressive like John Fetterman gets elected

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that this is tongue in cheek bc I love you emfive~

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

also Hamlet is kind-of a history play

but yes not really

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
shut the gently caress up about shakespeare... this isn't the 1650s or whatever, find better plays to discuss, like Hamilton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

ex post facho posted:

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that this is tongue in cheek bc I love you emfive~

yes of course it's sarcastic because Fetterman loving sucks, just like any dem (well almost any)

thank you for the support however, much appreciated.