Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Aye Doc posted:

turns out when you tear your thigh or groin or whatever, it's good to actually take time off and rest it instead of trying to play through it in order to meet some stupid rear end games played criteria that's inexplicably tied to your max salary

drat there were a lot more posts between yours and mine that answered this rip

I've heard this take but also a counterpoint that he doesn't look hobbled at all. Lateral movement and quickness all seem to be there so its a bit strange. It's basically just worse shooting.

Not saying its not true or not a factor, but it might not be the whole story. It's possible the truth is between the hot start and cold finish of this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

temple posted:

Ewing theory is at least 25 years old
Yeah wow that's true. But what I've been wondering lately actually is whether Jalen Green has made The Leap? And did he figure out The Secret? I'm thinking yes for the former but maybe still no for the latter. But he's got The Look for sure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Panzeh posted:

I know my fondest memories of the early 2000s was watching Slava Medvevenko shoot 19 foot 2 pointers.

i was watching some old games from the early 90s last year and people used to stand out at the 3 point line wide open, get the ball, and take 1 step inside the line to shoot the longest 2 pointer possible

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

R.D. Mangles posted:

Impossible for me to see Slava medvedenko without hearing in Stephen A voice

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Is this on Glenn for being an egotistical rug-pulling snake, or ARod and Lore for being cash-poor morons who tried to put an NBA team on layaway? Por que no los dos?

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
lol

https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1773394193710305576

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

maruhkati posted:

Is this on Glenn for being an egotistical rug-pulling snake, or ARod and Lore for being cash-poor morons who tried to put an NBA team on layaway? Por que no los dos?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1773392282877604158?s=20

They're coming out swinging lmao

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I say we take this all the way to the basketball court in the Supreme Court

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

You know, it's a good thing it'll take a few months for the hilarious ramifications of whatever the gently caress happens to set in.

Gonna need 'em to cash in on their contending window THIS year, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Panzeh posted:

They still happen, just roleplayers don't spot up there any more because why the hell would you?

It's a bad shot for literally everyone, outside of emergency "oh poo poo, nothing else is open". Which is unfortunate. Even the best middie guys only hit between 45-50% from those non-paint 2s, which is worse than a 34% 3pt shot.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I like seeing the ball go in at high rate instead of a technical good rate

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

I wish I could find it, but there was a neat study done, I think going into the 21-22 season, that showed from 2009 to 2019ish having a better shot mix correlated with better outcomes, but somewhere around there the entire league switched to a more “ideal” shot selection and there was no longer a correlation between taking the “right” shots and winning because everyone was doing the same thing.

And in fact the teams with the absolute best “3s and layups only” mix were the bottom dwellers, so
I think it was even a slightly negative relationship. With a smaller sample size, the conclusion was “high accuracy from midrange now correlates to wins more than the EV of your shot chart.” It makes sense that defenses now protect the rim and 3 point line so much that there will be nice gaps in the midrange for guys that want to try - but you better fuckin’ make it or you’re actively hurting the team, and the coaches will let you know.

I remember Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux geeking out about it and asking “what do you even do with that information from a team building perspective?” And it’s an interesting question, i think it’s exactly what front offices are trying to crack right now. The low hanging fruit of just fixing your shot selection has been worked over, so what’s next? The suns are IMO the example of going too hard at the midrange - even if you hit a ton of those at a high % and the midrange is an efficient shot on paper, it’s hard to trade 2s for 3s with an opponent for 4 quarters and be able to keep up.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

Change it back.

Ok who was taking all the baseline 20-footers?

I’m sure KG was propping up those top of the key numbers. Elbow jumpers had to be Kobe.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is KG ever going to return to the franchise???

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Why can't the Minnesota Timberwolves just be normal oh right it's Glen Taylor he's the reason

In other news, the Clippers finally won a basketball game against the Embiid-less Sixers by one point after a questionable no-call

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/1773394731189317970

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The suns are IMO the example of going too hard at the midrange - even if you hit a ton of those at a high % and the midrange is an efficient shot on paper, it’s hard to trade 2s for 3s with an opponent for 4 quarters and be able to keep up.

The KD-era Warriors were always in the top 2-3 of midrange shots, basically league average in 3pt attempts (though very efficient) and near the bottom in paint shots and free throws. So I think a lot of that is just KD. That's his offense and it's usually pretty good.

I think the real question of midrange is "How do you use that offense to find open players or get to the line?" and I think that's been a problem to build around since only a few guys (KD, DeRozan, to some extent Ant) have figured it out. If you can start replicating that more, I think you'll see more mid-range game.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I have no idea about the details of the agreement but I definitely believe Taylor has seller's remorse

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

bigtime editorial oversight to have this non-dunk on the cover

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The suns are IMO the example of going too hard at the midrange - even if you hit a ton of those at a high % and the midrange is an efficient shot on paper, it’s hard to trade 2s for 3s with an opponent for 4 quarters and be able to keep up.

Totally get where you’re coming from, but I think their woes lately have less to do with shot selection and more to do with turnovers and… whatever their grudge is against the concept of basketball when it’s the 4th quarter. The heterodox offense worked extremely well for 2-3 years. Keeping up on scoring was never really the issue.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pyrotek posted:

I have no idea about the details of the agreement but I definitely believe Taylor has seller's remorse

One of the reasons the Timberwolves have been on the block for a while is Taylor's insistence on a "transition" which he is treating as a farewell tour. So he wouldn't even do this without literally insisting that he still gets to be the guy. It's been a real problem.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Here's a possession from January. There's something that happens in this possession that makes it special, something that only happened once in the NBA over the last ten seasons. Can you guess what is unique about it?

https://i.imgur.com/waRUCSu.mp4

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

verbal enema posted:

i also experience discomfort while sprinting

Hello I come from the past to empty quote this

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

dokmo posted:

Here's a possession from January. There's something that happens in this possession that makes it special, something that only happened once in the NBA over the last ten seasons. Can you guess what is unique about it?

uncalled 5 second back to the basket?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

dokmo posted:

Turnover under set defense behind the 3 pt line?

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

dokmo posted:

24 seconds of possession for one player without a shotclock violation?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

uncalled 5 second back to the basket?

that's a good guess, but that's happened 3 times just this season, including

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2024/03/04/0022300884/47/c3a9bc70-f92b-854a-2d1f-c6ea9680df5f_1280x720.mp4

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Isentropy posted:

Turnover under set defense behind the 3 pt line?

Eratik posted:

24 seconds of possession for one player without a shotclock violation?

no and no

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

steal in the last 20 seconds of a game by a team down by at least 17

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

steal in the last 20 seconds of a game by a team down by 17

that would be a bullshit trivia question, i wouldn't do that to you

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

One of the reasons the Timberwolves have been on the block for a while is Taylor's insistence on a "transition" which he is treating as a farewell tour. So he wouldn't even do this without literally insisting that he still gets to be the guy. It's been a real problem.

I bet the fan response being a celebration that he's finally leaving probably did not sit well with him in that respect.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

dokmo posted:

I'll give one hint, it has to do with Garrett Temple, who has the ball

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

Where's the 3rd ref????

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

Something related to it being Lester Quinones first steal of the season? Most minutes played in a season without getting a steal?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

This is it. The inability to close fourth quarters out would not matter if booker and Durant could stop barfing up the ball. It’s just absolutely maddening to watch

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Something related to it being Lester Quinones first steal of the season? Most minutes played in a season without getting a steal?

Nope, nothing to do with the turnover

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

dokmo posted:

He didn't get called for the very obvious eight-second-violation?

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Is it something like "23+ seconds of possession without a pass, shot, or advancing beyond the 3 point line?"

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I'm just going to give the answer because I am not a patient man. I am not surprised nobody got it, because it does not look remarkable at all.

There have been 11,491,250 player touches since the 2013-14 season. This is the only touch where the player dribbles the ball more than 40 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

dokmo posted:

Single player takes 30+ dribbles in one possession?

Edit: gently caress I was typing while you posted I swear