Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also people will literally drop links to multi-hour video essays in the middle of a conversation and be legitimately shocked, confused and scandalised that no one wanted to watch them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The true video watcher move is to drop a link then rub your hands in glee when someone clicks and complains about having watched it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I can watch a video essay while I play ARPGs, that's efficiency

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tarnop posted:

I can watch a video essay while I play ARPGs, that's efficiency
or you could make video essays while you play ARPGs

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My ARPG playing is more of a cautionary tale

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also people will literally drop links to multi-hour video essays in the middle of a conversation and be legitimately shocked, confused and scandalised that no one wanted to watch them

i am shocked, confused and scandalised that there are people who will not watch all of hbomberguy's four hour long videos

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Tarnop posted:

My ARPG playing is more of a cautionary tale

video public service announcements

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah it rules. nature is horrifying, yet beautiful, yet filling us all with existential despair
Nature can be rough and cold at times, but despair? Eh, I don't feel despair when I'm out in it, even when it does something that looks horrifying.

I never got into Digimon, but this music is pretty good. Thank you for sharing.

Speaking of butterflies, here's an interesting video about the Butterfly Lovers from Chinese mythology. (Don't worry friends, it's only 6 minutes long.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1YyZKK48j0

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really, really hate this. And it goes to the heart of the issue with video essays, "oh look here's this three hour lecture from some guy and he makes a really great point somewhere around the two hour mark" OK, am I supposed to listen to all of this? Just give me a freaking wall of text instead.

This goes double for "how do I fix random poo poo X with my computer going nuts". Videos have a valid use if you're showing someone how to do stuff with your hands, how you make cool furniture, whatever. But not everything has to be a long form video essay!

Anyway thank you for listening to me yelling at clouds

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like watching people make props or sculptures

Kurtis Conner/danny/cody ect making fun of people and cold ones

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
there's a certain arrogance to enormously long videos. I have limited hours in the day and you think you can demand my attention for four of them? the audacity

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

there's a certain arrogance to enormously long videos. I have limited hours in the day and you think you can demand my attention for four of them? the audacity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KV1nCTReg

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

just watched this whole thing. not bad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

the worst of the worst of these are the ones that don't even have timestamps/chapters. like drat I'm supposed to just guess when a good place to stop and resume later would be?? I "guess" I'm going to watch another roller coaster tycoon challenge map instead, then

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
when the choice paralysis gets real bad I pop open a can of spaghettios w/franks and put on a 7 hour video telling me I'm smarter than people who haven't seen it

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

Anyway thank you for listening to me yelling at clouds

My favorite videos are videos about yelling at clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnXwW4tz1ys

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

they named their channel that because of the more popular "every frame a painting" youtube channel of short video essays about cinematography so that's cool

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hating "video essays" categorically is meaningless because it doesn't identify any specific topic of the myriad things a video essay could cover. Some things merit more attention and length than others. A 10 hour video about, say, the history of Nicaragua merits its length because the topic is incredibly complex. A 3 hour video about the cultural impact of iCarly is, likewise, fail

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have a couple "I passed up [good game] to get [meh game]" stories but I also have the extra sting that a bunch of those meh games are worth a ton now, 20 years after I sold them to Gamestop to buy an OG Xbox

instead of Mega Man 4 I got some Bubble Bobble clone from Capcom that nowadays is worth like $300 cart-only (Snow Brothers)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my biggest regret in that field is letting my parents go through my storage and throw out all my Rock Band instruments. I even had the pro extension kit for the drums.........

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

I like watching people make props or sculptures

Kurtis Conner/danny/cody ect making fun of people and cold ones

I enjoyed the guy who made weird dioramas, but there were only two videos at the time so there wasn't hours of content to see

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's amazing how worthless the GH/RB instruments were for long time so people just threw them out or put them in the shed til they stopped working and now people want them again

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My mom simply gave away my old systems when she thought I was done with them so I don't have much left over

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I kept fuckin everything and rediscovering my NES in like 1999 was a ton of fun because the games were all dirt cheap. Crystalis for $6.99!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Heath posted:

I kept fuckin everything and rediscovering my NES in like 1999 was a ton of fun because the games were all dirt cheap. Crystalis for $6.99!

Amazing game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I still remember buying Mighty Final Fight for 8 bucks. Just fantastic times all around

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Crystalis owned.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Jeff asks for funny ads to be made

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

". . ."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Heath posted:

It's amazing how worthless the GH/RB instruments were for long time so people just threw them out or put them in the shed til they stopped working and now people want them again

yeah we all thought the rythm game genre would last a lot longer, but it died really drat fast and we're only just now seeing a bit of a return with harmonix's weird failed DJ Festival game that kinda owned and Fortnite of all places lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

you can make an animated gif that doesn't loop with a delay that runs long enough so that to someone first glancing at it would seem like a normal banner ad but by the time someone has loaded a thread and read down to the bottom it has turned into goatse. not sure what made me think of that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

Man, thanks for unlocking a bunch of buried memories with this one! I totally forgot this existed and I remember so much wandering around in aimless confusion. Not sure how much was poor design and how much was me being too young.

you're probably young enough then that you dont remember the multimedia CD ROM, which virtual springfield was basically the last entry i can recall. they were essentially just like this, with gags and the shittiest flash (actually macromedia dreamworks) games imaginable, but it'd be for monty python or the simpsons and i even had one that was from the FDA that was like an edutainment game about the food pyramid. they were eventually replaced by flash websites for marketing and now it's completely out of style. kind of miss em

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

from concept to thread in just eleven days. say what you like about the owner of this website but he knows how to Get poo poo Done

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
if you buy an ad it doesn't get vetted before it goes up does it

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

jeff, do you think its reasonable to ask people to do free work for nordvpn's bottom line. are you insane

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

nerdvpn

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

didnt nord have a huge breach not that long ago

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the hack apparently only hit a single finnish server so it on balance was probably a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Al! posted:

didnt nord have a huge breach not that long ago

You mean this one?

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nordvpn-confirms-it-was-hacked/?guccounter=1

Apparently it didn't really get any user info, but the far worse thing to me is that timeline:

March, 2018: Breach occurs
October, 2019: Breach announced

Cool. Coolcoolcool.