Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

hard to do that when I turn around after killing one and the 4 more snuck up behind me and then proceed to melt me

So awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Am I terrible at aiming or is the slugger "off"? Sometimes after a shot I see the sway reticle dead center on an enemy but the followup shot still goes super wide? Its sweet that it oneshots the little bot patrol dudes but sometimes it feels like i'm whiffing multiple shots on them that really look like they should've hit. Its not as much of an issue vs bugs and their fat heads but those trooper bots are all suprisingly svelte.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

i think you have to pace your shots a little, the recoil takes a little longer to settle than it seems.

i quit using it because scorcher seems to do everything slugger did but with very nice handling and additional self-harming potential.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I almost always ADS with the slugger specifically because it has a pretty good sight that lets you get a more precise idea of where the shot is going, both by letting you know when its aim sway from pumping it has actually ended and giving you a much tighter red dot than the third person reticle. I also feel like it's projectile is faster than the scorcher and travel speed and ammo are the only things I don't like about the scorcher. You really only have to lead targets at a decent distance with the slugger, I felt like I had to lead everything with the scorcher. Of course the scorcher gets a couple more easy kills than the slugger because of its small explosion trait.

Also been think about going back to the breaker and punisher for bugs because a decent spread probably trivializes shriekers, but the liberator and sickle are also pretty good here so I haven't gone back to them yet. I bet the punisher also feels pretty good against basic bots at range.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I definitely don't like the HMG for bots but I really like it for bugs as a sidegrade to the GL; I had some success running bug 7s and 8s tonight with:

Engineer Kit light armor (I used the new Titan armor but Breaker is fine)

Defender
Dagger
Stun Grenade

HMG
Supply Pack
500kg
Flex (Autocannon Sentry/Railcannon/Precision Strike)

The HMG just deletes things like Bile Spewers and Stalkers and even blows up Shrieker nests super fast.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

FunkyFjord posted:

I almost always ADS with the slugger specifically because it has a pretty good sight that lets you get a more precise idea of where the shot is going, both by letting you know when its aim sway from pumping it has actually ended and giving you a much tighter red dot than the third person reticle. I also feel like it's projectile is faster than the scorcher and travel speed and ammo are the only things I don't like about the scorcher. You really only have to lead targets at a decent distance with the slugger, I felt like I had to lead everything with the scorcher. Of course the scorcher gets a couple more easy kills than the slugger because of its small explosion trait.

Also been think about going back to the breaker and punisher for bugs because a decent spread probably trivializes shriekers, but the liberator and sickle are also pretty good here so I haven't gone back to them yet. I bet the punisher also feels pretty good against basic bots at range.

Scorcher is great for walkers and bad for devastators, slugger is the other way around. I find walkers more annoying so I usually take scorcher, I do always feel short on ammo though. Not sure which one I'd take solo.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you're desperate the slugger can stagger walkers by shooting them in the hips/legs. It's terrible ammo efficiency to kill them that way but it can buy you time.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Bile spewers can be irritating, but rather than remove them entirely, I wish they'd either change the damage so it makes you mostly dead instead of totally dead, or not allow them to change the direction of the bile mid-spew.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Have them make noise when they drag their fat rear end around if they are going to be fast and have a oneshot.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Owl Inspector posted:

3 separate times I've received a bleed effect but without a visible chest wound on the UI, while wearing the armor that is supposed to make you immune to bleed, one time without even being hit.

that happens. u have to take some damage to be able to stim again. yesterday i took like 1/3 bar damage stumbling on some terrain.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Bile spewers can be irritating, but rather than remove them entirely, I wish they'd either change the damage so it makes you mostly dead instead of totally dead, or not allow them to change the direction of the bile mid-spew.

if bile spewers are responsible for your bad time i recommend shield generator pack (they don’t oneshot you) and arc thrower (they die pretty fast)

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Been trying Quasar against bots and I'm definitely not a fan. It's my new #1 for bugs but against bots it's just a flat-out worse lascannon with better range.

For example it takes 2 quasar shots (~10ish seconds) to kill a turret but a lascannon can do it in under 3 seconds:
https://i.imgur.com/jzYRExm.mp4
Tanks have pretty much the exact same killspeed as turrets.

Same with Striders, they're ~2.5 seconds with lascannon and you can easily do 5+ in a row without having to cooldown. Quasar is around 8 seconds per strider.
https://i.imgur.com/gArrk4E.mp4

The only benefits Quasar has over lascannon for bots are shooting down dropships (admittedly a good benefit) and killing hulks from the front. And killing fabricators but those are easy as hell to kill with orbitals/eagles.
Nothing to add to this beyond the fact that I love how good explosions are in this game. Arrowhead have got them down perfectly. It’ll never get old blowing stuff up. Every time I see a 500kg explode is like the first time I saw it.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I like quasar as a replacement for the RR, but haven't tested if it will take out turrets with a non-vent shot. the biggest perk for me is that it passively reloads so I can fire and then reposition to chase a weak point/run for my life, using the jetpack I can now fit into my loadout.

I keep running into this but I don't remember if it's always been this way: shooting down a dropship kept immediately spawning a new one in the 5s i was playing last night, and I'm pretty sure I've seen chains of this. I feel like that behavior was introduced whenever they had the weird dropship skimming bug, so maybe it's intentional? it's still rad to do so but it seems to defeat the point of shooting em down if they can do it forever!

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 29, 2024

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

hard to do that when I turn around after killing one and the 4 more snuck up behind me and then proceed to melt me

So awful.

Laserdog will gently caress them up, as will GL or AC. Also, get medic armor and dive/pop a stim as soon as you take a scratch, bile can't do poo poo during the regen effect.

I ran GL/ammo pack/medic armor for a long time and it has no trouble popping spewers.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Bile spitters also drop to one AMR round to the dome. Don't even need to scope if they're up close.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Troost has been liberated :toot: the robots are down to one remaining galaxy square

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I’ve found ways around them but I still just die from them more than any enemy in the game including rocket robots.

Rocket robots are annoying but at least they take a shot to kill if they’re smaller, or I can duck under the rockets

There’s no escaping the bile if you get cornered lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked troost. It was cool looking

I’m glad I recorded one of the best runs I’ve ever had on it. I might do something with it idk yet.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Quasar has a pretty specific usecase which is "I want an Recoiless/EAT on demand off and on with no concerns about ammo, but I don't need them rapid-fire", and it's pretty good at that.

EATs are sharable and quick to use, and with people being willing to pick up your extras you can put out a lot of high armor pen burst damage if people can aim. Also fun incidental benefits like being able to find your extras if you're calling them down on CD as you cross/doubleback across the map.

The Recoiless Rifle is like the EAT but you trade the ability to carry multiple for a backback slot. And with a buddy you can spam fire.

Quasar is a good "I don't want to be the anti-armor guy but I also don't want to be owned if I need anti-armor" selection. If you find yourself being the kind of player who prefers to just use their primary/secondary/stratagems over supports, but you want a weapon you can pull out at any time forever to delete a charger/hulk/dropship/etc when your stratagem are on CD the Quasar works. Also you can keep your backpack slot.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I’ve found ways around them but I still just die from them more than any enemy in the game including rocket robots.

Rocket robots are annoying but at least they take a shot to kill if they’re smaller, or I can duck under the rockets

There’s no escaping the bile if you get cornered lol

Yeah I got use to running AC on bots, and it does seriously mess up everything they have, but because of bile spewers and all the frequent chip damage I don't know if I'll ever take off the shield pack for bugs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Once I brought a shield for bugs, called it down and was like why did I bring this lol

But ya you’re right it helps with biles. But still. I loathe them more than anything. I hate getting chased by 5 of them at a time.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

There’s some real heavy foreshadowing in the dispatch about finishing Swift Disassembly Phase I. And I’m not talking about the part where it basically says “hey the bots are gonna get gunships soon”.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Once I brought a shield for bugs, called it down and was like why did I bring this lol

for hunters & stalkers

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Legit Businessman posted:

"Legit" Strats from the "Legit" Businessman:

1) Difficulty 1. Duh. As you know, higher difficulties spawn in more bad dudes, as well as making the gold-flash pods have useless stuff in them like RARE SCIENCE. BLECH!
2) You are looking for a map with a central objective and the escape zone...not in the middle.
3) Water is your enemy. Water, the natural enemy of farming, prevents POI's from spawning in, so maps that have no water are best.
4) Now that you've identified a potential farming map, drop in on your prospective farm seed. Have a look around see what you got. Make a note of what spawns the various pods/crates/friendship doors. On difficulty 1, there should be about 10 POI's. You are looking for (in order of importance) Super Credit drops, medals, and rec slips (lol). The more of the first two, the better. You are going to max out on rec quite easily, so you don't need to farm it.
5) Once you've mapped out what is on, evaluate it. If you've got 5+ SC drops and low rec/weapon drops, you probably have a great map! It may take a few tries, and admittedly, I have been very fortunate, but the odds are in your favour. On difficulty 1 (as mentioned above), the odds are in your favour of getting SC's and Medal drops. For comparisons sake, the map I have had :smith: contained the following:
3 Pods, 3 Cargo Crates, and 2 Friendship Doors containing
6 Medals, 7 Super Credits, 1 Rec Slips, and 1 Weapon. So out of 15 possible drops, only 2 of them are bricks.
6) Once you have collected all of the SC/Medals/Rec (lol), disconnect from the map by alt-F4, or disabling your internet connection. As long as you do not complete the map (or abandon it from the menu, I think), this map will exist for you permanently.
7) Drop back on to the map. All of the locations, with all of the goodies, DO NOT CHANGE. So the POI that has a crate with two SC drops in it? That is fixed and will never change.
8) Develop a fast and efficient route to hit all the drops and farm to your heart's (or wallet's) content.

If you wish to keep the seed, you have a couple of options:
1) Quick play only. This is the most extreme option, and is really only if the planet your farm is on, is UNACCESSABLE by the galactic war. If we lose/liberate the planet, you can still keep farming away, provided you only hit the quickplay button, because you will (should?) be returned to your ship and your farming map once you are done quickplay. Rest in Peace my farming map on Nivel 43.
2) You can play with other people, so long as you aren't the host. You have two options, 1) you can navigate back to your farm map once you are finished with your friends. There are usually only a few level 1 missions available to scope out from the planet map, and one of them will look familiar to you. Guess what? That's your farm. 2) quit out of the game and reload and return to the map table, and it should bring you to your farm.

Thanks for all this - the first map I tried had 60 super credits in an easy to run in a minute or two route. Looks like I've got some farmin' to do.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fishstick posted:

Am I terrible at aiming or is the slugger "off"? Sometimes after a shot I see the sway reticle dead center on an enemy but the followup shot still goes super wide? Its sweet that it oneshots the little bot patrol dudes but sometimes it feels like i'm whiffing multiple shots on them that really look like they should've hit. Its not as much of an issue vs bugs and their fat heads but those trooper bots are all suprisingly svelte.

i think that the animations and the actual gun are desync'd or something and the actual projectiles wind up going where the gun was aiming 100-200 miliseconds ago so

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Of all the floaty-aiming guns, I think the Slugger feels the worst.

And, despite shooting a big ol' slug, it doesn't really feel that impactful to fire it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

runchild posted:

There’s some real heavy foreshadowing in the dispatch about finishing Swift Disassembly Phase I. And I’m not talking about the part where it basically says “hey the bots are gonna get gunships soon”.

Your hunch might be correct. People on Reddit are spotting bot ships.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

can't wait until the missile devastators can fly

Mesadoram posted:

Your hunch might be correct. People on Reddit are spotting bot ships.

if you mean these things they've apparently been in since release

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 29, 2024

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I made this a bit ago, idk if people wanna use it but go nuts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Game is cooked this morning

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

CelticPredator posted:

Game is cooked this morning

It’s working fine for me with the exception that quick play is apparently only placing me into level 7 games where the following conditions must be met:
1-2 level 10 cadets
<5 reinforcements
Someone is suicidally charging a laser cannon tower over and over again. Another pubbie is reinforcing them. Bonus points if they are using small arms fire against them
No anti armor stratagems

I just noped out of three in a row and I’m gonna take a break for a lil bit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

turn off the TV posted:

can't wait until the missile devastators can fly

Christ, right now bots feel way overtuned compared to bugs at the same difficulty. Let's just pile more on!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

Christ, right now bots feel way overtuned compared to bugs at the same difficulty. Let's just pile more on!

this but unironically

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

did they add new POIs recently? I feel like I've been running into a few that I haven't seen before.

explosivo posted:

don't worry, the TCS mutations should kick in soon and im sure the bugs will be brought up to par

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

explosivo posted:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Played through a difficulty eight bot mission that didn't go well. These people must have intended their run to end with lots of samples because they kept running into robot bases when our reinforcement points were sitting at two. Eventually we used up all the reinforcement points, everyone else was dead, and I snuck my way over to extraction. Called my stun mortar, an extra weapon and the resupply pod, started up the shuttle call and reinforced. There's only a couple of minutes left on the clock but we're good to go, right?

I didn't notice until it was too late, but the person I called down made the bizarre choice of running off to grab some more samples from a couple of POIs nearby. I was left with all the robots at extraction and I'm not good enough to do all that by myself. I died, the shuttle aborted and we had to try again without stratagems. We didn't make it. I don't feel those last few samples were worth it!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
<2 minutes left, 5 reinforcement tickets, 3 people dead, on the extraction site. Get told "don't call in, we're not done". gently caress yes we are, there are no objectives anywhere close by and the primary objective is done so the spawn rate is way high. Get kicked. Oh well, I guess.

E: ion storm is probably my favorite of the "gently caress with strategem" effects

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 29, 2024

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

[the Quasar] does everythign an EAT does but not as well and more likely to get you killed while it charges. no ammo is nice though

BUG CENTRIC INFO

Personally, I don't like calling down EATs. I prefer the simplicity of pressing the 3 key and having the Charger die 4 seconds later to having to either:
-Shoot the Charger with the EAT already on my back (which also negates the EAT benefit of being able to use another Secondary), then add the subtask of calling another one down to my immediate to-do list.
-Call down a new EAT and wrangle with the Charger until I can grab the EAT.
-Pre-emptively call down an EAT and tie myself to that spot for 70 seconds.

Also I imagine the charge-up time is much more punishing if you don't keep space around you/can't react to new Chargers immediately. If you're being overwhelmed a lot EAT probably feels much better.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 29, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Let them get to 0 reinforces then emote at the extract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I don't have the Scorcher yet, but I find that the Plasma Punisher does a similarly good job against Walkers and is surprisingly effective against Devastators, especially Heavy Devs - the splash damage will often hit their weakspot and I'm pretty sure the damage is keyed as Explosive, so it ends up dealing a lot more damage than you might think.

Plasma Punisher can also take out cannon towers in a pinch with a few shots to the radiator, which was something I was not expecting it to be able to do. Would not want to see if it can do decently against Tanks/Hulks (both will wheel around and kill you faster than you can hit its weakpoint), but I keep being pleasantly surprised at how effective the Plasma Punisher is considering that most people think the Sickle is the real winner of the new Warbond (but I think we can all agree the Arc Shotgun is the real stinker of the pack).

bandaid.friend posted:

Played through a difficulty eight bot mission that didn't go well. These people must have intended their run to end with lots of samples because they kept running into robot bases when our reinforcement points were sitting at two. Eventually we used up all the reinforcement points, everyone else was dead, and I snuck my way over to extraction. Called my stun mortar, an extra weapon and the resupply pod, started up the shuttle call and reinforced. There's only a couple of minutes left on the clock but we're good to go, right?

I didn't notice until it was too late, but the person I called down made the bizarre choice of running off to grab some more samples from a couple of POIs nearby. I was left with all the robots at extraction and I'm not good enough to do all that by myself. I died, the shuttle aborted and we had to try again without stratagems. We didn't make it. I don't feel those last few samples were worth it!

High Difficulty missions with pubs are a lot like PhD dissertations: There are those that are good and there are those that are done. Like you, I prefer to be in the latter category.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 29, 2024