Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Seems like even players in the NBA are starting to speak out against sports betting

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/commen...nt=share_button

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13jV7B-cS8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Gorson posted:

No. In America you go to business school to be a manager. It's like going to school for oil painting and after graduation you get to tell actual artists how to paint. It's a loving insane system. If you're like me and worked for billable-hour joints you will never get promoted if they can bill you out close to 100% of the time.

I love the mindset that having only MBAs at the top breeds, you can tell they don't respect or give any semblance of a poo poo about what engineering/creative people do and I honestly think they see us as huge dumbasses who are beta losers. That's why they're so eager to replace every engineer/creative with chatgpt/AI, why do I need some egghead nerd to build my plane when I, the superior Harvard MBA, can type in "build plane that doesn't fall out of sky and also minimizes legroom" and it shits out some CAD drawings that I'll pay people in Vietnam to say they double-checked for poverty wages. In the same vein I can make my next Marvel film with Sora so I don't have to pay any of those loser actors or VFX people and it's going to make billions that the really important people to the creative process, the shareholders, now get to keep.

They're so far removed from having any actual creative thoughts other than ruthless efficiency that they forget how the sausage is actually made and it shows in how lovely everything is continually getting. It's not going to change unless something comes along to seriously challenge how capitalism works.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I think they are gonna crash and burn with this because the set of people that have this kind of cash but also would be willing to rent vs buy outside of NYC is pretty small and they’ve already figured out a much cheaper way to do this, they just rent a small apartment in the district and don’t actually move.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thoguh posted:

I think they are gonna crash and burn with this because the set of people that have this kind of cash but also would be willing to rent vs buy outside of NYC is pretty small and they’ve already figured out a much cheaper way to do this, they just rent a small apartment in the district and don’t actually move.

I'm not so sure. I think there is a steadily growing number of young white-collar workers who start making good money and start having kids, but will never have enough savings to actually buy.

This is the new premium consumer of the rental market.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

It's the same thing with Pinterestagram influencers and stuff too, it's a facade, a simulacra. It's always a specifically curated artifice envious experience to be consumed in as what I can only describe as parasocial voyeurism. The Normal Person does not have immaculate lily white spotless kitchens with well-behaved perfect mormon kids and constantly taking vacations to Bali in immaculate resorts or experiencing all these completely spherical frictionless outings and perfect dinners before going sleepy-bye-bye, oh and here's this beauty product that will totally transform your life into mine! Coupon code below 👇👇

But really you can extend it to most everything in media, from how people appear to relate to each other in social settings, from how successful the other appears, from how good we think people should be at X, etc.

There's this, but also a completely natural effect of even the most benign implementation of the internet is that, for everything you yourself are doing, you'll be connected to more people than you can remember who are also better at that particular thing than you. In earlier ages you'd have to do a PHD to access this level of imposter syndrome.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The other day I got a flyer for a luxury rental house complex, where you can rent a house to yourself in this place. Somehow I get the feeling that after the developers built up all those cookie cutter houses, nobody was lining up to buy the houses and they just decided to go with the scheme of renting the entire development out instead

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Beached Whale posted:

I love the mindset that having only MBAs at the top breeds, you can tell they don't respect or give any semblance of a poo poo about what engineering/creative people do and I honestly think they see us as huge dumbasses who are beta losers. That's why they're so eager to replace every engineer/creative with chatgpt/AI, why do I need some egghead nerd to build my plane when I, the superior Harvard MBA, can type in "build plane that doesn't fall out of sky and also minimizes legroom" and it shits out some CAD drawings that I'll pay people in Vietnam to say they double-checked for poverty wages. In the same vein I can make my next Marvel film with Sora so I don't have to pay any of those loser actors or VFX people and it's going to make billions that the really important people to the creative process, the shareholders, now get to keep.

They're so far removed from having any actual creative thoughts other than ruthless efficiency that they forget how the sausage is actually made and it shows in how lovely everything is continually getting. It's not going to change unless something comes along to seriously challenge how capitalism works.

I went to engineering school and have friends from the Management school.

In college it was joke, they'd laugh and say "someday I'll be managing you braingeniuses and we'll make the computer do this but, how do I get the gui for solidworks to load" or "This coding stuff is hard, why don't you use dreamweaver to streamline stuff like us"

But now they're just taking the reigns and putting that "If I don't understand no one understands" logic at work everywhere. It's fantastic.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Xaris posted:

It's the same thing with Pinterestagram influencers and stuff too, it's a facade, a simulacra. It's always a specifically curated artifice envious experience to be consumed in as what I can only describe as parasocial voyeurism. The Normal Person does not have immaculate lily white spotless kitchens with well-behaved perfect mormon kids and constantly taking vacations to Bali in immaculate resorts or experiencing all these completely spherical frictionless outings and perfect dinners before going sleepy-bye-bye, oh and here's this beauty product that will totally transform your life into mine! Coupon code below 👇👇

But really you can extend it to most everything in media, from how people appear to relate to each other in social settings, from how successful the other appears, from how good we think people should be at X, etc.

You nailed the instagram aesthetic, which I've always found sort of unsettling.

I dated an influencer, and one of our really big fights was me drying my hands with the, apparently purely decorative, towels in the bathroom.

Another was one of the most miserable trips of my life where a company flew us out for an event and I had to tag along while photos and videos were shot of every drat thing.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
The succesful ones are the problem really.

The ones who manage to steal some artists methodology or engineers brilliant algorithm. Hire 20 technical profesionals and patent all the work they do to make a name for yourself! When they get that IP in their name it's like they did it. Now they're the captain. No need for more opnions, we have the golden goose!

Phil Spector and Jerry Bruckheimer types get to fill up dump trucks with cash and cosplay as rock stars and storytellers when they don't have a creative bone in their bodies. But Society pretends they are cause the people who do create are mostly nameless in capitalism.

Who made the bic lighter great? some engineer named dick baker who made the finishing process they patented. Why am I not clicking a dick.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sanlav posted:

In college it was joke, they'd laugh and say "someday I'll be managing you braingeniuses and we'll make the computer do this but, how do I get the gui for solidworks to load" or "This coding stuff is hard, why don't you use dreamweaver to streamline stuff like us"

But now they're just taking the reigns and putting that "If I don't understand no one understands" logic at work everywhere. It's fantastic.

I have a business degree (lol and also lmao) and you would not believe how shockingly easy the 400 level management courses were. A first year student could have easily passed them. Write a few boring essays, do a speech, done.

And don't get me started on the mouth breathing BSAD majors holy gently caress what a bunch of turds.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sanlav posted:

A generation or two ago Boeing and all those other companies were run by engineers who had added an MBA to bolt on basic knowledge of accounting, finance, etc so that they knew enough to deal with those topics. But now they’ve all been financialized like everything else and if you look at the CEOs and C suites of all those firms it’s just accountants and lawyers as far the eye can see. In Boeings case everyone points to thier merger with McDonald Douglas as being the turning point.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

PoundSand posted:

my biggest class struggle is not hoping these idiots eat poo poo. Like every crypto bro that loses their rear end is undeniably a victim of our lovely society but at the same time I am acutely aware they would be the worse person possible if everything worked out and they struck it rich on something they'd never retroactively acknowledge was a gamble.

nah gently caress 'em. way nicer people with better ideas get hosed way harder by the thousands every day in this system.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Business Administration: a degree based entirely around "uh, can't we just con someone else into doing it?".

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Gorson posted:

I have a business degree (lol and also lmao) and you would not believe how shockingly easy the 400 level management courses were. A first year student could have easily passed them. Write a few boring essays, do a speech, done.

And don't get me started on the mouth breathing BSAD majors holy gently caress what a bunch of turds.

They'd put the Management majors in a handful of crossover courses (Calc 1, Op C & Coco, Eng Proc) in hopes to lure them into Industrial Mangement (IME, imaginary engineering ~) but that rarely took. Engineering processes was run by some dungeon boss names Cheng Tsu who just failed them all right out of that dream if they were lucky enough to draw him as your instructor. I hated him but now, so much respect.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

My friend, let me introduce to Rao's.

About the only sauce worth a drat in a jar.....and they charge out the nose for it.

Campbell’s bought Rao’s last August so lmao

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sanlav posted:

They'd put the Management majors in a handful of crossover courses (Calc 1, Op C & Coco, Eng Proc) in hopes to lure them into Industrial Mangement (IME, imaginary engineering ~) but that rarely took. Engineering processes was run by some dungeon boss names Cheng Tsu who just failed them all right out of that dream if they were lucky enough to draw him as your instructor. I hated him but now, so much respect.

There was no place for me in business school I got talked into it. I should have been in computer science, hell I should have been in auto shop. My degree was in MIS so I did get to do some hands on programming and my "I've made a huge mistake" moment was seeing my classmates screeching about having to learn programming or anything technical. They just wanted to be managers.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
my wife is going back to get her MBA. she sat in on a class yesterday and she told me the professor made a boxing analogy: "the market is like a boxing ring, because the longer you're in there, the more punches you take". is school really just agreeing with people all the way to the top?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Apologies if been posted...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntobey/2024/03/28/25-food--dining-inflation-indicates-recession/?sh=4a73cadf2f96

quote:

"Runaway prices at U.S. fast-food joints and restaurants have made people skittish down the income ladder and executives at chains including McDonald'sMCD 0.0% and Wendy’s recently said they worry about losing business from those on the tightest budgets.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Sanlav posted:

At my school they had an entirely separate class called "Business Calculus" which in addition to important things like "not teaching integrals", also let you take a calculator to every test that let you type in the problem and then you could just copy the solution. Zero learning or critical thinking required.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
He used to lecture for an hour straight on ideology out his rear end. nothing learned about the course in lecture.

You'd be sitting a stats psych course trying to figure out how to manipulate data w/ cheng tsu and he'd start off with "Today in conference intervals, we will talk about the fallacy of placing confidence in intervals. close your textbooks"

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Beached Whale posted:

At my school they had an entirely separate class called "Business Calculus" which in addition to important things like "not teaching integrals", also let you take a calculator to every test that let you type in the problem and then you could just copy the solution. Zero learning or critical thinking required.

Same, we had a "math for business" course of some kind. These are necessary to maintain business school graduation rates.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Gorson posted:

Same, we had a "math for business" course of some kind. These are necessary to maintain business school graduation rates.

They had calc for management and it was like ... the scarlet letter. No one took it first semester for fear they'd be in a dunce hat the rest of the way, but nearly all of them graduated with the credit.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Legitimately my econ 100/101 professor was one of my favorite teachers ever but he could have taught anything, something far more useful.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xaris posted:

it's really funny how badly california legal weed industry is eating poo poo, they can't even put on a 4/20 festival that they've had for years

It was supposed to be this big new ~economic engine powerhouse~ and was mostly a wet fart. now, a lot of dispensaries are closing up and just staying vacant retail apocalypse. amusingly, a lot of people have been burned trying to gamble invest in on all this legal weed stocks as the next new Neo-Gold Rush and was big buy-the-news when the initial deschedule 'being considered' was announced (which is never happening) only to flop. also that 'bipartisan legal weed banking bill' was a big buy-the-news and looks dead

Texas has bigger weed festivals and events than California these days. They’re huge and usually have cops working as security. California is on the way down

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Colostomy Bag posted:

My friend, let me introduce to Rao's.

About the only sauce worth a drat in a jar.....and they charge out the nose for it.

just buy a can of tomato sauce and add oregano, thyme, basil, crushed pepper, whatever and cook it a little

better pasta sauce than anything you'll buy in a jar

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

OH MY BAD posted:

my wife is going back to get her MBA. she sat in on a class yesterday and she told me the professor made a boxing analogy: "the market is like a boxing ring, because the longer you're in there, the more punches you take". is school really just agreeing with people all the way to the top?

dan carlin teaches mba classes too?

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Thoguh posted:

A generation or two ago Boeing and all those other companies were run by engineers who had added an MBA to bolt on basic knowledge of accounting, finance, etc so that they knew enough to deal with those topics. But now they’ve all been financialized like everything else and if you look at the CEOs and C suites of all those firms it’s just accountants and lawyers as far the eye can see. In Boeings case everyone points to thier merger with McDonald Douglas as being the turning point.

In my experience people hire their own type.

I get roasted when i bring it up but i have wall street clients. I have private schools, public schools, big businesses and small business. I touch too many computers I get it.

My boss got hired out of college to write software for an engineer based out of Mexico. He wrote them a trading system in the 90's, and his 2 partners became their analysts at a fintech company. The CEO let him go to make this IT company in like 2005?

They hire engineers to be anaylsyts and traders. That CEO doesn't wanna be bullshitted by people who sell vibes. They vastly overpaid me to come do "IT" cause they wanted an engineer on staff.

But we had a nepo son take over another outfit 6 years ago and we bailed HARD. They went from old money to wild west overnight. Soon as the shitlicker took over with his art history degree he cleaned house. Fired the only 4 people who would of kept him whole out of spite cause they wouldn't dance.

He's prolly neck deep in AI and metaverse right now. Hope he gets absolutely wrecked.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boeing collapsed when McDonnell Douglas bought it and replaced the engineer ceos

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sanlav posted:

The succesful ones are the problem really.

The ones who manage to steal some artists methodology or engineers brilliant algorithm. Hire 20 technical profesionals and patent all the work they do to make a name for yourself! When they get that IP in their name it's like they did it. Now they're the captain. No need for more opnions, we have the golden goose!

Phil Spector and Jerry Bruckheimer types get to fill up dump trucks with cash and cosplay as rock stars and storytellers when they don't have a creative bone in their bodies. But Society pretends they are cause the people who do create are mostly nameless in capitalism.

Who made the bic lighter great? some engineer named dick baker who made the finishing process they patented. Why am I not clicking a dick.

making me want to reread the Commodore book and about Chuck Peddle :smith:

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

It used to be common for engineering/operations background people to be ceo or at least c suite. Nowadays its all finance and accounting with predictable results

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Acelerion posted:

It used to be common for engineering/operations background people to be ceo or at least c suite. Nowadays its all finance and accounting with predictable results

Engineering companies should be run by engineers (and owned by the whole public)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Engineering companies should be run by engineers (and owned by the whole public)

they are in like china or iran or whatever

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

you don’t need breakfast

guess who invented it

Hitler?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Vox Nihili posted:

on the plus side, inflation has left weed prices alone due to the supply glut

Weed is cheaper now than it was before inflation

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Gorson posted:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

OH MY BAD posted:

lol not just school

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nothus posted:

lol not just school

Yeah, never contradicting the stupid poo poo people in charge say is half the battle for promotions. Placate their big dumb ego and you can suck at your job

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

just buy a can of tomato sauce and add oregano, thyme, basil, crushed pepper, whatever and cook it a little

better pasta sauce than anything you'll buy in a jar

if you're gonna do that just buy cherry tomatoes and squish them in the skillet with oil

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah, never contradicting the stupid poo poo people in charge say is half the battle for promotions. Placate their big dumb ego and you can suck at your job

this is what I do. My boss sucks at his job. Its the same as my job but he is in overall charge. I could argue with him and point out better ways to do things and make our end product better, but that would have a negative impact on myself, so I just say "great idea, boss"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

DickParasite posted:

I switched to oatmeal. I make a big batch on Sunday, and it lasts me all week. All of the cereal convenience, none of the insane prices.

Making your own muesli at home is incredibly easy, super cheap (even more so if you have good a bulk bin shop around), healthy, and delicious. 4 parts oats, 1 part nuts/seeds, 1 part dried fruit, 1/4 part spices. Mix large quantities in a bowl or barrel or whatever and store forever. That's it. Toasting nuts, which is completely optional, and chopping fruit (if you get something other than raisins/dried berries, which is also completely optional) is the only effort even theoretically required. Use it any way you would use cold cereal, oatmeal, or granola.