Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I was more wondering if like maybe the composer was a Swede or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It wasn't played during the actual ceremony, so it was probably just a piece of music the band learned because someone on the band is a Trekkie and it's a nice piece of music so they played it while people were getting seated.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

MikeJF posted:

It wasn't played during the actual ceremony, so it was probably just a piece of music the band learned because someone on the band is a Trekkie and it's a nice piece of music so they played it while people were getting seated.

That makes sense! :thanks:

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Endless Trash posted:

“The Magna Carta clearly states this distant planet is rightfully mine by common law!”

[Sisko enables a tractor beam]

“You are impeding my travel! I am a free traveler! I am traveling!”

Data’s fatal mistake in Measure Of a Man was not asking if it was a court of “maritime law” and screaming about articles of confederacy until they let him go

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

redshirt posted:

Shaka Khan

When the beat fell

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Are those REAL gold fringes on the federation flag by your desk?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I was more wondering if like maybe the composer was a Swede or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRY5F2IsKRs

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Björkg

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

These are the things Barclay saw in the transporter.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Is Borg just short for cyborg? Why would this alien race use a name based on an English/Earth word? Is the universal translator doing that, and it’s actually some alien word for cyborg? What’s Klingon for Borg?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

What’s Klingon for Borg?

B'orhg

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I looked it up and “baS 'alghuQ” is “metal bastard”

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Is Borg just short for cyborg? Why would this alien race use a name based on an English/Earth word? Is the universal translator doing that, and it’s actually some alien word for cyborg? What’s Klingon for Borg?

it's not a name, it's a descriptor. Names are inefficient

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

naem posted:

Nato står trek

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Why are there no little people in Starfleet?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They're there, they live in the Jefferies tubes.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

they have their own fleet and fly around in smaller ships

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Actually every single person in the Star Trek future is a little person, but low gravity in space elongated them like Belters so they look the same height as 20th century talls

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Uh… Keenser?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's bugged me since "Measure of a Man" showed that the Starfleet justice system can make rulings on personhood. That's something that would probably end up at the highest court in the quadrant and take years to sort out.

I guess in this situation with the Bashirs it was some kind of handshake agreement between Starfleet and the Sector Attorney or whatever that Julian wouldn't be prosecuted if his Dad pleaded guilty, and the Admiral is just delivering the news.

Edit: drat, Admiral Bennett isn't just some JAG Officer, he's the JAG. Sisko must really have some pull at HQ if he can get that guy overnight.

ACTUALLY, the "Measure of a Man" judge specifically said she wasn't qualified to rule on personhood, iust that Data isn't Starfleet property.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCdvhgSlgM

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What. The gently caress :stare:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If you’re gonna give him hair why give him a fivehead

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:actually: That makeup job is from season 5, Violations, when Crusher flashes back to viewing her husband's body with (a slightly younger and hairier) Jean-Luc. You can tell by the whatever-it-is on his temple, barely visible in the linked tweet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think that's supposed to be some kind of futuristic healing patch, like the stuff on his head at the end of BOBWpt2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also they didn't make Stewart wear a wig, he chose to wear one of his own volition for the audition and had one couriered to LA from his home in London, and made it a couple of takes into the audition with it on before Gene told him to take it off and try it again. Which is where the famous "in the 24th century, people won't care about baldness" quote comes from.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I don’t get how the Romulans had such advanced tech in Enterprise that they could make a drone ship that not only could be piloted remotely via telepathy but also could repair itself and operate without a crew, and create a holographic skin that could fool sensors. And it outgunned everything it came across though some of that may have been due to subterfuge. Were the romulans that far ahead of the other races?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Humans: we put a magnet on a rope

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Romulans being really really far ahead of anyone else when it comes to projections and sensor fooling does hang together.

And the super remote piloting was basically just exploiting a specific species ability, they had to kidnap an Aenar to pull it off. It's mentioned in the episode that the Andorians experimented with telepresence but couldn't make it work, I'm wondering if they really did make something that would work with Aenar but the Romulans sabotaged it and made it seem to fail and nabbed the tech. It would explain why it's so specific.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 31, 2024

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I don’t get how the Romulans had such advanced tech in Enterprise that they could make a drone ship that not only could be piloted remotely via telepathy but also could repair itself and operate without a crew, and create a holographic skin that could fool sensors. And it outgunned everything it came across though some of that may have been due to subterfuge. Were the romulans that far ahead of the other races?

Disco klingons were at least a century ahead of humans when it comes to disguising yourself as another species. Even in TOS that one guy apparently working alone was able to do a pretty good job, but he couldn't fool a basic medical tricorder like the one in disco. Or Bones was super good at detecting extra dicks, IDK.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Interesting. I had trouble buying the ship repairs itself ignoring all the rest of the tech.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the federation probably experiments with self-repairing ships once every couple of decades until the system attains malevolent sapience.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the federation probably experiments with self-repairing ships once every couple of decades until the system attains malevolent sapience.

Lots of tech is like that. We've seen starfleet come out with "new" holographic displays at least 3 times. And then return to viewscreens with no explanation. Years later they are invented again.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the ship computer r&d department has several phasers aimed at their projects in case they get a little too talkative

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://trekmovie.com/2024/03/30/nato-explains-why-the-theme-for-star-trek-first-contact-was-played-at-swedens-induction-ceremony/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

The Texas Class was just Admiral Buenamigo pulling up some old plans and slamming Rutherford's AI into it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

The Texas Class was just Admiral Buenamigo pulling up some old plans and slamming Rutherford's AI into it.

It even has the same interface as the M5.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Lots of tech is like that. We've seen starfleet come out with "new" holographic displays at least 3 times. And then return to viewscreens with no explanation. Years later they are invented again.

I like to think the explanation is "99% of the time there's no actual upgrade to a projective holographic interface, it just takes up space without improving the display enough to bother with" and they box it for another 80 years until some nerd comes up with this brilliant idea to revolutionize computers all over again.

TNG showed us the three kinds of hologram that are actually useful: giving viewscreens depth of field, making instant display models for things easier understood in 3D instead of 2D (the planet with the weird orbit), and fully immersive recreational/diagnostic simulations in a volumetric chamber. Nobody needs a hologram version of the Kinect taking up floor space just to talk to Admiral Bob.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Holographic displays are just the Star Trek equivalent of VR. They gain popularity once every couple of decades before they realise that they only have some pretty niche uses and it's not worth putting up with their bulkiness so they go back to what they were using beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We see on occasion that the viewscreen is 3D in TNG, I like to imagine that plenty of the console displays can be if they need to be and sometimes are, it's just that the camera is 2D so we don't notice.

Maybe that's what the little protruding inset screens like this are for, maybe they're holotanks and the visualisation was 3D.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 31, 2024