Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gotta admit, I'd be super hype if I turned a corner in a cave and the imprisoned gorecyclops music started playing as all hell broke loose. But yeah they've had enough time to come up with a few more types of normal enemies to toss into the world to mix things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Might just be me, but I think it's right to mock dumb mtx for 70$ games.

I think the problem more is microtransactions altogether. But the MTX in DD2 is also pretty inoffensive and easily obtainable.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am enjoying the game a lot but I will agree with the lack of monster variety. Besides the performance, that's the thing I am most disappointed about. Seems like they barely added any new monsters. Also you are fighting goblins and wolves 60% of the time.

It feels really noticeable because they dropped stuff like the cockatrice and the alternate element drakes, which are reskins but are at least something and they had some different tricks. Minotuars are kinda rare compared to trolls and cyclopes they share a weight class with and don't do anything interesting beyond the contractually obligated charge move.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jimlit posted:

Here is a bad take.

I love the warrior. It's like the truck simulator of vocations. I get into kind of a zen state of chaining together attacks that just really clicks with me. I feel like going back to thief would be a net negative in terms of gameplay fun, damage output and crowd control.

What skills do you use on warrior? I've been playing on the warrior (rank 8 now) and mystic spearhand (6 or so) mainly and compared the warrior just feels quite sluggish. I don't know if I'm doing well even in boss battles, it seems to lack the big damage option or maybe I'm just not being effective with it.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Capcom stepped on that MTX rake themselves, I don’t feel bad for them at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I gave my pawn the running charge move where she impales goblins and slams them into a wall. It doesn't seem efficient but it looks very funny.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I gave my pawn the running charge move where she impales goblins and slams them into a wall. It doesn't seem efficient but it looks very funny.

You can also end it early to launch them off your sword and off cliffs/into the sea. It's a very fun move.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Oh, so trickster is the ~luxury augments~ class. I really like how this game promotes experimenting with the new classes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
From what I experienced, losing your camping kit is a dice roll and not hard number. It just seems like the odds are in your favor for higher tier kits. Doesn't mean you won't lose an elite one on the first try however.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, I'm a bit stumped on one of the sphinx riddles and could use a hint: What the heck is up with the parent "riddle"? I can't even begin to guess what the hell it wants for this.

Also, when does your "beloved" get locked in this time around?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Obligatum VII posted:

So, I'm a bit stumped on one of the sphinx riddles and could use a hint: What the heck is up with the parent "riddle"? I can't even begin to guess what the hell it wants for this.

hire a pawn named SphinxParent

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Thundarr posted:

hire a pawn named SphinxParent

Is... is that sarcasm? Is that a real answer?! How the hell does that make any sense?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Obligatum VII posted:

Is... is that sarcasm? Is that a real answer?! How the hell does that make any sense?

Not a joke! It's very dumb but it's dumb in a funny way.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I’m 20 hours in and have encountered my first genuinely frustrating issue that will definitely cause me to quit if I can’t resolve it so I’d like to find a way around it. I’m level 26, with Fighter, Thief, and Mage at VR6-7. I’ve been farting around in/outside Vermind doing the main quests. Anyway, I decided it’s time for Mystic Spearhand, but it seems the NPC has disappeared from the world entirely. I’ve:
Cleared out Harve, let it rebuild, and returned to clear it out again, but he wasn’t in the coastal cabin. then I took an Ox Cart to Melve where he’s supposed to be and defeated a scripted fake drake attack, but he’s still nowhere to be seen. I checked the Vermund morgue both before and after the trip to Melve with the attack and he wasn’t there, it’s actually completely empty which seems odd. So I tried going back to Harve after finishing the Drake attack and…still no Sigurd. I really want to play Mystic Spearhand. Is there anything at all I can do to find him?

I’ve got another main quest question too:
so I did all of Brant’s stuff - nameless village, repeatedly sneaking into the castle, etc, and now…I just don’t have an MSQ. The last thing I did was steal a magistrate’s letter talking about Battahl, and thought I had a quest to go there but I don’t. Am I missing something?

This game is extremely good but also weirdly infuriating in specific ways

Ed: figured out the second one but still not the first

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 29, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Not a joke! It's very dumb but it's dumb in a funny way.

it's also an answer that's extremely easy to miss, since the riftstone in the fishing village to the west of the capital city that has the game's only other static portcrystal is the only one tuned to draw in pawns with SphinxParent/SphinxMother/SphinxFather as their name/moniker, so you're going to be scratching your head forever if you didn't happen to hit it up

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

The sphinx riddles are not without clever solutions, but mostly the big jerk is trolling you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Obligatum VII posted:

To expand on what Thundarr posted SphinxParent, SphinxFather and SphinxMother all work. They do NOT need to be official Capcom pawns. Doesn't matter who made it, as long as the pawns have any of those names it will work.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

To expand on what Thundarr posted SphinxParent, SphinxFather and SphinxMother all work. They do NOT need to be official Capcom pawns. Doesn't matter who made it, as long as the pawns have any of those names it will work.

Helpfully, there's several player made pawns with those names in the monthly ranking list so you can find one that way. When I got that riddle it wasn't clear that a non official pawn would count so it took me a while to find the Capcom one.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does trickster want provocation or no? On paper it sounds like it'd be good but not sure if normal aggro and simulacrum get buffed by the same things

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Frog Act posted:

So I’m 20 hours in and have encountered my first genuinely frustrating issue that will definitely cause me to quit if I can’t resolve it so I’d like to find a way around it. I’m level 26, with Fighter, Thief, and Mage at VR6-7. I’ve been farting around in/outside Vermind doing the main quests. Anyway, I decided it’s time for Mystic Spearhand, but it seems the NPC has disappeared from the world entirely. I’ve:
Cleared out Harve, let it rebuild, and returned to clear it out again, but he wasn’t in the coastal cabin. then I took an Ox Cart to Melve where he’s supposed to be and defeated a scripted fake drake attack, but he’s still nowhere to be seen. I checked the Vermund morgue both before and after the trip to Melve with the attack and he wasn’t there, it’s actually completely empty which seems odd. So I tried going back to Harve after finishing the Drake attack and…still no Sigurd. I really want to play Mystic Spearhand. Is there anything at all I can do to find him?

The camera zoomed in on him for me during the zombiedrake attack, if it didn't do that for you, or you ignored it, then I don't know what to tell you. Glancing on the wiki, one person said he fell through the map, which may mean you need to fart around for a week and hope he respawns, but check the morgue in the city first to see if he's just dead.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kefa posted:

Does it take long to reach the guy who unlocks MA? Thinking of just looking it up to switch to MA earlier.

If you try to follow the story progression it will take you quite a while before you get sent in that direction, since it's one of the last areas of the game.

That being said, I just went there on my own after looking it up and it's certainly doable at lower levels. I went in the high 20s but you could certainly go in lower if you're better at the game/more willing to run from fights.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ardryn posted:

The camera zoomed in on him for me during the zombiedrake attack, if it didn't do that for you, or you ignored it, then I don't know what to tell you. Glancing on the wiki, one person said he fell through the map, which may mean you need to fart around for a week and hope he respawns, but check the morgue in the city first to see if he's just dead.

Lmao gently caress, I def didn’t miss that. He just wasn’t there at the time. I’ll check the morgue for a third time but I don’t think he’s there, maybe sitting for a week will do it but it sounds unlikely

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dumb question time: Does the game autosave when you use an art of metamorphosis? I want to see how my pawn looks in motion and reload if I don't like it. Since its bought with rift crystals I'm not sure if capcom would put some sort of thing in place to consume it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hired a pawn with Aphonite, and man is it weird to have someone that doesn't speak at all. I constantly forget he's even there.

Leal posted:

Dumb question time: Does the game autosave when you use an art of metamorphosis? I want to see how my pawn looks in motion and reload if I don't like it. Since its bought with rift crystals I'm not sure if capcom would put some sort of thing in place to consume it.

Rest at an inn first, and use the "reload from last inn rest" if you don't like it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Obligatum VII posted:

For the beloved: Just use your main pain. It counts.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I would still rate my impression as overall positive but the game does flag after enough playtime. I would say my biggest complaints are,

- the difficulty, funnily enough. I'm the kind of person who typically games on "normal" difficulty when that's an option (although I've played plenty of games without a difficulty level or that scale further on) but DD2 ended up being overwhelmingly easy, even for me, with very few things being challenging past a certain point in the game with a full pawn party
- tying into the above, I can see why people have issues with the density/variety. I think if things were tuned to be more difficult and there were less packs on your way to wherever it would feel more exciting and less tedious. as it stands, running into goblins that take a couple weapon swings to take care of, for the 50th time in a row, starts to lose its lustre
- being able to equip only 4 skills is kind of lame. warfarer is also kind of lame, since you can only really do a 2/1 skill split (if you add rearmament) or you have to manually switch weapons so you can levitate or whatever. it all just feels like a missed opportunity to allow you to do super cool stuff
- the lack of layered armor as well as gear variety. if everything was closer in stats or you could dragonforge everything to the same stats, or there was just layered armor, it wouldn't feel so bad. as it is there's a specific progression and everyone ends up looking the same. (yes I'm aware you can be suboptimal and it doesn't really matter given my point 1 with the difficulty, but it still feels kinda bad). it also means if you go exploring and visit the last area with the best merchants, then go back elsewhere, there isn't much for you to discover equipment-wise
- the story is laid out in a weird way. you spend all of the "first act" doing specific things that don't end up having much to do with anything

I think when they do a DA/BBI dlc it will be great.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Frog Act posted:

Anyway, I decided it’s time for Mystic Spearhand, but it seems the NPC has disappeared from the world entirely.

have you been to battahl yet? playing blind, i didn't even know the npc was supposed to be in Harve and encountered him in southwest battahl, at the dragon-something tower, where he helped me kill a drake. iirc there was even one of those red "there's a failed arisen here" map markers pointing me that way. maybe check there if he doesn't show up anywhere else

i was able to unlock spearhand by talking to him in Harve after doing the spoilered thing.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Ulrika's face gets so red when I talk to her now.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Das Butterbrot posted:

have you been to battahl yet? playing blind, i didn't even know the npc was supposed to be in Harve and encountered him in southwest battahl, at the dragon-something tower, where he helped me kill a drake. iirc there was even one of those red "there's a failed arisen here" map markers pointing me that way. maybe check there if he doesn't show up anywhere else

i was able to unlock spearhand by talking to him in Harve after doing the spoilered thing.

I haven’t, I tried waiting a few days outside his cabin in Harve, and that worked. I haven’t the faintest idea where he was but I imagine it had something to do with me doing these quests in a weird order

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Also, after the patch the frame gen mod seems a lot more stable. I haven't crashed yet with it and I had to stop using it I was crashing so much before.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I don’t know if it helps anyone, but there is a group of harpies on the western beach between vermund and harve that consistently crashed me so pay attention to your crashes and if it’s the same thing, just try not to do it because it’s been stable for me otherwise.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

For the beloved: Just use your main pain. It counts.

Woah forreal? lol. I used Sara since I'd just done her quest and her rosy cheeks were super noticeable which thankfully still works like the first game.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You should really try Sagittate Downpour / Avalanche.

I knew I was forgetting something, yeah this was my fourth skill. Ricochet/Seeker/Avalanche/Martyr.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Hell yeah I unlocked Trickster, time to be fukken annoying

I like that Battahl feels very different from Vermund, lots more open spaces and fun scrambly rock formations.

Also have found that switching my pawn off of healer-Mage and onto something else with the Chirurgeon speciality has helped the combat feel less like a cake walk, since we can still heal but it puts a bigger emphasis on avoiding damage and keeping stocked on curatives.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah the game has lost me. I think having to look up a guide to find the Sphinx is what did it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Enjoying the heck out the game so far.

Question for post House of the Blue Sunbright quest: Does bringing Daphne near that noble house trigger the next quest in that chain, or is that actually something that I really should not be doing if I even remotely care about that abbey?

Also, RE: Search for the Jadite Orb quest: I am no masocore enthusiast, but I do love it when games are willing to play mean tricks on the player (Trying to give a forgery to Everard)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah the game has lost me. I think having to look up a guide to find the Sphinx is what did it.

Why exactly did you “have” to look up a guide to find the Sphinx again?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why exactly did you “have” to look up a guide to find the Sphinx again?

big wife, happy life

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

big wife, happy life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

People allergic to exploration