Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
We just out here calling a second round pick peanuts now?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

It's bad process. But hey, the Jets upgraded their EDGE group in their all-in window so, I'll at least have fun next year (until the horrors begin)

I don't think Riddick is better than Huff in 2024.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wait in what world is he an upgrade to Huff?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Amy Pole Her posted:

He's a materially better player on early downs and is probably equivalent as a pass rusher

https://twitter.com/nextgenstats/status/1773816150050447462?s=46&t=Q9JsEynxHxZ9F2lOwU2Uuw

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Pff says Huff was better and thats what I want to believe so its true.

Typical Jets!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Plays more snaps, plays better run defense, more durable, and has consistently been an equal or greater pass rusher for longer. He’s only 29, not 34.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Only because the Jets don't believe in Huff and don't really understand how good he is. I think that is why they let him go. (And i think they are wrong)

They treated him like a UDFA for the entire time he was there.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
See… maybe mcmagic got into my head but it sure looked like the jets didn’t play him enough and his win rate was phenomenal.

Feels like if im a team… say the eagles… and i wanted to upgrade from a guy like that.. id sign huff. Which they did.

But hell who knows. Let’s hope it’s the jets who are dumb

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Yeah, I mean, mcmagic is right. Huff is a fantastic pass rusher on a pretty limited snap count, but the Jets have made a bet that Huff won't be Huff if he's anything more than a rotational piece. Seems dumb! They shouldn't have let him walk without getting anything back. But, accepting that they did, Reddick is an elite pass-rusher who can play more consistently on early downs and upgrades the unit from where it was last year. Process was bad, the solution is good. Kill the quarterback, win games.

(And they got him for a pick three drafts from now when Rodgers will probably be retired and they're gigafucked anyways)

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 29, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'm just tired of the howie/the eagles sleepwalking into great deals

i have this awful vision of the dolphins hiring sirianni when he leaves PHI, and i really don't want that to happen

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

stuker posted:

i'm just tired of the howie/the eagles sleepwalking into great deals

i have this awful vision of the dolphins hiring sirianni when he leaves PHI, and i really don't want that to happen

if they fire mcdaniel they'll just bring in 73 year old belichick at that point

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

if they fire mcdaniel they'll just bring in 73 year old belichick at that point

Ross is never hiring a coach with that kind of clout that won't let him meddle

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

e: somehow read ross as johnson. i actually get the impression ross has been moving to get out of everything post-brady lunch, but that could be wishful thinking

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stuker posted:

e: somehow read ross as johnson. i actually get the impression ross has been moving to get out of everything post-brady lunch, but that could be wishful thinking

It 100% applies to Woody too. Look at his coaching hires.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Supposedly Bill is working on a book, subject matter not revealed. I hope to god it’s a PhD level 1000 page tome on the history of football formations or something. But it’s probably going to be some cringe legacy book called No Days Off

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

Supposedly Bill is working on a book, subject matter not revealed. I hope to god it’s a PhD level 1000 page tome on the history of football formations or something.

Special Teams, Vol I: The Long Snapper

Anything less than 2000 pages will be a disappointment.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ross seems pretty content in letting the team do their thing. Miamis ranked in the top of favorite teams to play for, for a reason - we’re just dumb.

Come only world class facilities as you go 10-7

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
You’ll even get to play in the post season!!!*

*in some frigidly cold weather city for a week

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://x.com/realskipbayless/status/1773826641095201181?s=46&t=6jG3azctmf9ULNpQ002qHg

As I was saying

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ross seems pretty content in letting the team do their thing. Miamis ranked in the top of favorite teams to play for, for a reason - we’re just dumb.

Come only world class facilities as you go 10-7

low pressure, good vibes, coach will do a meme

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Declan MacManus posted:

low pressure, good vibes, coach will do a meme

Extremely high-quality cocaine

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Supposedly Bill is working on a book, subject matter not revealed. I hope to god it’s a PhD level 1000 page tome on the history of football formations or something. But it’s probably going to be some cringe legacy book called No Days Off

I want it to be some dad poo poo side project hes been working on for the last 30 years like a history of the USS Silversides.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Patriots are on the clock.

Do we go QB, WR, or OT?

I expected Maye to be the 2nd guy picked. I didn't like Daniels. I kind of like the idea of MHJ here. Any input would be appreciated.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I would go MHJ personally, but they will go Maye in this circumstance

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Anderson Koopa posted:

Patriots are on the clock.

Do we go QB, WR, or OT?

I expected Maye to be the 2nd guy picked. I didn't like Daniels. I kind of like the idea of MHJ here. Any input would be appreciated.

Next year isn't looking so good for QBs. You'll get good WRs in the second round.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Sad King Billy posted:

Next year isn't looking so good for QBs. You'll get good WRs in the second round.

Yes, but I feel like WRs are somewhat easier to scout and I'd rather have a sure thing at Wideout. Plus the Patriots offense needs multiple wideouts, not just one. I'd rather take a project QB later in this draft and see if I can develop them.

Plus 2021 was supposed to be a "good" QB class. The first 5 QBs taken were Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones :rubby:. I'd argue that the Bengals and Lions improved because they got Chase and Sewell more than any of the teams that went QB.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 1, 2024

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Both those teams were already rocking #1 overall pick QBs

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I'd rather trade down than do a WR or OT there, but we can't do that in the goon draft so just take the QB IMO.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

True, but if Drake Maye flames out, we have to do the same thing again next year in terms of finding a QB and WR. I'd rather have the best receiver in the draft under team control for 5 years than possibly having to sit in QB purgatory.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Take the WR, so you're not wasting cheap years of a rookie QB.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's so, so much easier to find a good WR than to acquire a good QB on the open market. At this point in time the only really viable path to a Tier 1 QB who puts you in a position to win a superbowl is drafting the dude.

Let's go back ten years:

Brady (drafted 6:199) - Russ (drafted, 3:75)
Peyton (late career vet) - Cam (drafted, 1:1)
Brady - Ryan (drafted, 1:3)
Foles (lol) - Brady
Brady - Goff (drafted, 1:1)
Mahomes (drafted, 1:10) - Handsome Jimmy (actual trade of a decent QB for picks)
Brady (late career vet) - Mahomes
Stafford (high tier QB swap) - Burrow (drafted, 1:1)
Mahomes - Hurts (drafted, 2:53)
Mahomes - Purdy (drafted, 7:262)

Like last year for the right amount of money you could sign Deandre Hopkins. Teams don't let good QBs walk. You either have a good QB or you need to search the draft and you need to draft QBs until you get one. The only exception is if you have a superbowl-contending team otherwise and you can pick up a decent vet but that's happened two times in the last ten years.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Ideally I would trade down and take the extra picks. I went with MHJ here because the Patriots have so many needs that I want the next QB to have someone to throw the ball too. If he can win his one on ones and draw double coverage it will help everyone else in the passing game. It could even help open up the running game. The scouting on Maye said that he sometimes had questionable decision making and he had the potential to be a bust. I would rather take a shot on a QB later in the draft.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Everyone has the potential to bust, including many former "safest player in the draft" types. Including MHJ.

As a Patriots hater, they should probably just take Maye.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Pick whatever of Maye or Daniels is there at three, no WR

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Pick whatever you want because this is make believe

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Pick a tackle because goons love fat men

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Pick a tackle because goons love fat men

That's where I'm going next round. Feel free to pm me any tackles you all like.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I would have gone Maye but I did not sign up to be the GM! :v: I think in real life they would run to the podium to take him, or possibly trade back if something like the 3 firsts from MIN scenario is on the table. With Maye and MHJ on the board you have SO MUCH leverage in that spot, it would be insane to me to not use it on either the QB or a huge trade. Or hell, everyone seems to think Arizona is mega horny for Marvin, can you bluff them into flipping spots? In our no trades allowed mock it makes more sense though

I'd rather add the QB now if they think he can really be the guy and figure out receiver later. Unless Maye evolves to be a god tier QB taking MHJ isn't going to look bad though, dude seems incredible.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Take the QB until you have the QB. I really don't buy into the idea that QBs get "ruined" outside of really extreme situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fsif posted:

Take the QB until you have the QB. I really don't buy into the idea that QBs get "ruined" outside of really extreme situations.

agreed. It's more about coaching and scheme when QBs get "ruined"