Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If the townsfolk get nice winter clothes, then I should too.

Which I guess means getting a Barn/Deluxe Coop, getting sheep/rabbits, and then turning the wool into cloth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Leal posted:

Fall is about to end and this is what my farm is looking so far. I'll be reworking things in winter to something like this:

When I start my day I head straight down to the barn, right towards the cave and then back up to where the crops will be and end at the shed where I can put stuff into machines or into the shipping box.

Thanks for sharing but this gives me anxiety.

Why block off the path to the barn and make yourself walk around the lake? Why move the house so far from the zone boundaries? I guess I always end up leaving the farm asap for mining runs and am always cutting the return timing to within the last half hour, even if I totem home lol.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Cartoon Man posted:

Does that mod let you get the achievement cause gently caress that’s tempting. :shepface:

Yes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
prarie king got dramatically easier as now you can "save" a game in progress, which means you can have a good run and then go to sleep and just savescum the day if you blow your two bullet upgrade run in the last zone or something

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

ChickenHeart posted:

"And for my very special dictator..."

Lmaoooooo

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

If the townsfolk get nice winter clothes, then I should too.

Which I guess means getting a Barn/Deluxe Coop, getting sheep/rabbits, and then turning the wool into cloth?

Mostly. The wiki might be able to help you find some other options but most of the clothing is cloth in the sewing machine, IIRC.

Note sheep is Deluxe Barn too.

Or you could recycle A Lot of soggy newspapers

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Tylana posted:

Mostly. The wiki might be able to help you find some other options but most of the clothing is cloth in the sewing machine, IIRC.

My newspaper luck has been terrible in the current farm. Endless torches

Fortunately, Emily is easy to befriend with a handful of gemstones, and she has been sending me cloth in the mail pretty regularly!

Having seasonal outfits is extra important now. Embrace clothing therapy

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Thanks for sharing but this gives me anxiety.

Why block off the path to the barn and make yourself walk around the lake? Why move the house so far from the zone boundaries? I guess I always end up leaving the farm asap for mining runs and am always cutting the return timing to within the last half hour, even if I totem home lol.

I do plan on moving one of the silos so I wont have to go around the pond. As for the house, I like being on the island :shobon:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Tylana posted:

Rabbits can also drop wool!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tatsuta Age posted:

Rabbits can also drop wool!

As can be told from username, I have three coops of bunnies on my perfection farm. It's also good for doing the stupid give everyone loved gift Qi quest with all the rabbit feet

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is there like some specific place you need to look for journal 10 on ginger island, just not getting that one to drop. :argh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got a rabbit's foot from my cat

.... cat how did you get this foot?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

cats are nature's perfect killing machines.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, how many of us saw flatcat for the first time and thought "oh gently caress my pet is DEAD?!"

I figured I had missed some type of feeding mechanic or was supposed to take him inside at night, but then he moved and all was cool

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TurnipFritter posted:

cats are nature's perfect killing machines.

That's right.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bunnyofdoom posted:

As can be told from username, I have three coops of bunnies on my perfection farm. It's also good for doing the stupid give everyone loved gift Qi quest with all the rabbit feet

Nothing like an iridium quality rabbit foot for love bombing someone with difficult gift preferences.

Meanwhile it's best not to ask what kind of rabbits we're raising that periodically shed feet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

counterfeitsaint posted:

It is the 4th day of spring, year 2, and the 5th meteorite has crashed onto my farm. I'm beginning to get concerned.

Gotoro bombarding you from orbit to try and keep you from supplying the entire Ferngill military with food and wine

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, I think I want to play this game again. Anything I should keep in mind when I start my new game?

Also jesus christ this thread is over 10 years old.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Nothing like an iridium quality rabbit foot for love bombing someone with difficult gift preferences.

Meanwhile it's best not to ask what kind of rabbits we're raising that periodically shed feet.

If you flip over a Stardew bunny, you'll see rows and rows of feet, like sharks' teeth, ready to replace the ones that drop off.

(On another note, I'm somehow always surprised when I see screenshots of other peoples' farms with fences. I shouldn't be, I know, but I just got in the habit of using machines and a bunch of lightning rods instead of fences, and now I can't go back.)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, I think I want to play this game again. Anything I should keep in mind when I start my new game?

:shrug: Have fun? Don't stress.

Avoid Fandom wikis is always good advice. This is the official wiki: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Stardew_Valley_Wiki

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 30, 2024

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zesty posted:

:shrug: Have fun? Don't stress.

Avoid Fandom wikis is always good advice. This is a good wiki: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Stardew_Valley_Wiki

I apologize, that came off as more stressed than I intended. I meant more in terms of "Here is some cool stuff they just added and some general tips". Much appreciated though!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, how many of us saw flatcat for the first time and thought "oh gently caress my pet is DEAD?!"

I figured I had missed some type of feeding mechanic or was supposed to take him inside at night, but then he moved and all was cool

oh yeah, i was very worried -- and i'd even already talked to him, so nothing happened when i tried to interact with him again while he was flat :ohdear:

Also I'm coming back with a brand new farm (the new one they added for 1.6) too. Are there any must-have QOL mods or anything that I should be aware of? I'm playing on a Steam Deck, for what it's worth.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Unlucky7 posted:

I apologize, that came off as more stressed than I intended. I meant more in terms of "Here is some cool stuff they just added and some general tips". Much appreciated though!

I didn't think you were stressed. I was just suggesting to not let anything stress you. Chill game, no time limits. Play however makes you happy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have sort of rolled my eyes at every single mod ever posted in here and thought "hurrr why even bother PLAYING!! just mod the game to play itself for you!", until

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Grey Cat, those are awesome.

Thanks for mentioning the "win Prairie King" mod because *gently caress* that game.

This is a thing of beauty

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mods don't have to be cheats. Lots of good stuff around.

Anyone who doesn't care for an achievement can just cheat it in with Steam Achievement Manager anyway. At least the mods that make Prairie King easier still have you play it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TIL that the mushroom logs work in winter. And wow, 5 mushrooms? I installed these like 3 days ago. Maybe I should put these near my mushroom cave

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That reminds me. I want to find a mod that totally changes the mushroom cave into something more useful or fun.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They should let you put mushroom logs in the mushroom cave

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I meant more in terms of "Here is some cool stuff they just added and some general tips". Much appreciated though!

Here are a few things I wish I had known when starting 1.6:

- Meadowlands farm is cool as heck, starts you off with animals, which plays to the area's strengths. Other farms are also updated to tailor to your gameplay, such as the Riverlands farm offering you a free fish smoker (a 10k value).
- Related to the above, there are more viable paths to making money. These include mushroom stumps and dehydrators. Not sure if it's as optimal as some of the old methods, but it helps keep things varied.
- Quest board at Pierre's now rewards coupons on occasion. These are used to obtain special items at Lewis's house. As such, they can be pretty worthwhile. Same goes for the new random-prize boxes.
- Visit Willy and change your bobber style!
- edit: and depending on how long it's been since you played, check out some of the additional options when setting up a farm. Remixed bundles can be a hoot

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
the combination of tons of crab pots and tons of fish smokers is pretty funny

enough coal to run em, doubles the value of a bunch of your shellfish

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

parara posted:

I was always using DCBurger's but I don't think those will ever get updated again (because they sure aren't for the new portraits), so I moved to Nyapu's Portraits. Fits the game much more too imo, and supports tons of other mods for portrait consistency!

On that note, which content mod(s) do people recommend? I've never played with SVE, Ridgeside(?), East Scarp, etc... are any of these worth checking out?

SVE is the kitchen sink mod. It adds tons of stuff. Some of it is okay. Some of it is pretty bad (looking at you pink hair farmer waifu).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I tried to get into SVE a while back and it just seemed like a lot of bloat for the sake of bloat, with too many cringy new NPC's for my liking. Idk maybe it's gotten better over the years since but just wasn't my cup of coffee.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A question for the folks who like SVE, what do you think of Ridgeside and East Scarp? Trying to decide if they fit in well to a multiplayer playthrough we're planning.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the issue with ridgeside and east scrap is realistically it's just more characters and stuff, but still just your regular stardew valley. sve is a fine tack on, it doesn't add a lot and it's mostly seamless, but ridgeside for instance is a whole rear end town in and of itself. If it replaced the town maybe sure, but if you're touching those i m o you'd be better off just going to a new farm game like altogether and actually get a fresh experience, like moonstone or sun haven or coral island or what have you

also mp especially is unkind with character moments and expansions are basically all just character stuff but ymmv i suppose

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why does a bear want maple syrup and not honey? This counters everything I know about bears

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Leal posted:

Why does a bear want maple syrup and not honey? This counters everything I know about bears

It's obviously Canadian.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

they can get honey have you seen one with a full tapper system

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Zesty posted:

A question for the folks who like SVE, what do you think of Ridgeside and East Scarp? Trying to decide if they fit in well to a multiplayer playthrough we're planning.

Speaking of Ridgeside specifically (since I haven't tried East Scarp) the developers never seemed to grasp the idea of "less is more."

There's enough characters, locations and items for it to be a total conversion mod where you can't even visit Pelican Town. "I've played through the vanilla game 20 times and I absolutely don't want to talk to any of these NPC's anymore" is about the one scenario where I'd actually consider suggesting someone try it.

It's not all bad; the art assets blend in well enough with the vanilla game to not be obvious. There are lots of new locations to explore, and new planting areas in the form of a community greenhouse in the town, and an unlockable farm up in the mountains. The writing though...

The writing for the characters ranges from "meh" to "Yikes." Some are basically just re-skins of vanilla game NPCs with a single twist to make them unique. Others are one-note anime trope characters. ALL the marriage candidates are obviously thirsty for the player once you have enough hearts with them, whether you've given them a bouquet or not. The ninja clan sticks out to me the most; you've got an Assassin Junimo, an aggressively horny ninja girl, and an edgy brooding elf with a katana that teleports all over the place. I kept expecting that last one to appear right behind my farmer and say "nothing personal, kid" but that would've required a writer with some self awareness and a sense of humor.

I won't say they are all worse than the pink haired anime girl from SVE, but if the bar you want to clear is "better than her" you'll be disappointed more often than not.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hobo on Fire posted:

Speaking of Ridgeside specifically (since I haven't tried East Scarp) the developers never seemed to grasp the idea of "less is more."

There's enough characters, locations and items for it to be a total conversion mod where you can't even visit Pelican Town. "I've played through the vanilla game 20 times and I absolutely don't want to talk to any of these NPC's anymore" is about the one scenario where I'd actually consider suggesting someone try it.

It's not all bad; the art assets blend in well enough with the vanilla game to not be obvious. There are lots of new locations to explore, and new planting areas in the form of a community greenhouse in the town, and an unlockable farm up in the mountains. The writing though...

The writing for the characters ranges from "meh" to "Yikes." Some are basically just re-skins of vanilla game NPCs with a single twist to make them unique. Others are one-note anime trope characters. ALL the marriage candidates are obviously thirsty for the player once you have enough hearts with them, whether you've given them a bouquet or not. The ninja clan sticks out to me the most; you've got an Assassin Junimo, an aggressively horny ninja girl, and an edgy brooding elf with a katana that teleports all over the place. I kept expecting that last one to appear right behind my farmer and say "nothing personal, kid" but that would've required a writer with some self awareness and a sense of humor.

I won't say they are all worse than the pink haired anime girl from SVE, but if the bar you want to clear is "better than her" you'll be disappointed more often than not.

now this is good info, because more than anything, this made me go "nah" to Ridgeside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The main storyline for Ridgeside is really bad. It leans really heavily into the supernatural elements (the Ninjas are basically the main characters here), and like with SVE, the supernatural elements aren't really what I'm here for.

I'm not as down on the character writing, but it does feel like most of the Hot Local Singles have some sort of Personal Issue or Backstory they have to get off their chest. Like every character gets an "Alex talks about his parents" scene. All of the regular folk have four events each, so it's A Lot of talking. God help you if you haven' t been keeping up your relationships and you just finished the Bulletin Board Bundle. What I will say about the writing though is: The two main kids are annoying as poo poo and it seems like they show up in a lot of other character events. If Jasmine and Vincent felt more like actual small children (they're just kind of there, they don't have much have to say or do because they're small children), Keahi and Trinnie feel like they're TV Children, they're precocious and constantly getting involved with other people's business and it's just really grating.

The new dungeon area is really annoying, it's one big map that infinitely spawns enemies, and most of the enemies actually created for Ridgeside seem to use the same stat tables as enemies from the Dangerous Mines/Caverns, so it can get really hectic. Luckily you can get extremely overpowered weapons (+20 Defense Knife lmao) by maxing out a Ridgesider's Hearts and viewing all their events.

There's a lot of new forage that's pretty broken, a lot of it gives you stat boosts, including a Summer Forage that's +1 Speed for 10 full minutes. And there are two pretty big maps with a lot of forage and trees, if you need them. There's a seed store that's open on Wednesdays (with a limited number of seeds you can purchase per day), and another store that sells Quality Fertilizer/Deluxe Speed Gro from the jump, you can hire people to pet your animals, there's a certain level of convenience here.