Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Morrow posted:

Yeah, the only reason everyone else got off the bridge is because they were already in the process of driving across it. The bridge is more than a mile long, so the last cars that got on before it closed probably just got off it in the minute+ that they had.

Like maybe they could've run to their personal vehicles, jumped in, and drove out of danger in two minutes, but for that timeline to work they would've had to be very high up the chain of messaging.

Most accounts that I've seen stated that the night maintenance crew were actually in their personal vehicles at the time because it was their lunch break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, but in terms of the value of the rule, you have to count saved bridges against the additional cost in added tug job duration. It's not just the cost of this one collapse, it's thr saved costs of all the bridges that didn't collapse because we all paid for the extra tugging.

Sure, calculated by the probability of each individual bridge collapse times the cost of that collapse (including the hit to economic activity and of course loss of life and limb).

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the additional cost in added tug job duration
c’mon

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Mustang posted:

how many tug jobs are needed per bridge? This could be handy when discussing erection timelines.

More importantly, we have an historic first in that a tug job will be the solution to keeping something erect.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 30, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I wonder if there’s a way they could use concentrated jets of air to keep the boats in the deep bit

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I wonder if there’s a way they could use concentrated jets of air to keep the boats in the deep bit

There's some prior examples of using air to move commercial ships, but in harbor a tug is generally more practical than a blow.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Killer robot posted:

There's some prior examples of using air to move commercial ships, but in harbor a tug is generally more practical than a blow.

More cost-efficient as well.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Killer robot posted:

As long as they have lots of oil

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
USCE 2024: Tug and Blow Debate Central

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Angry_Ed posted:

yeah that's only like 4 F-35s (I know that's not how budgets work but still)

Man these pickup truck costs are out of control.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Whitehouse reporters ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf1SjAv0UOw&t=20s

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've seen that happen at a club I used to manage, people just taking poo poo off the walls because...reasons?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've seen that happen at a club I used to manage, people just taking poo poo off the walls because...reasons?

I used to go to a bar, fittingly enough in DC, that had a “please don’t do coke in the bathroom” crochet sign. They later had a “please don’t steal our ‘please don’t do coke in the bathroom’ sign” sign.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

A pizza joint in Atlanta called Amaza opened with these cool branded beer glasses that were shaped like a can and frosted over with the PBR logo. They were cool as hell.

Within the first week they’d all be stolen. When the staff realized what was happening they made sure to get one too.

I lost mine in a move. Every now and then you’ll go to someone’s house and see one and be like “ahhh you got one too, huh?”

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I'm concerned that if these tug jobs last for more than four hours, we might need some medical staff on board.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lumpy posted:

I'm concerned that if these tug jobs last for more than four hours, we might need some medical staff on board.

Buddy, a few years back I was on a tug job in the bering sea for a whole month

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Professor Beetus posted:

Buddy, a few years back I was on a tug job in the bering sea for a whole month

Glad to see you were able to bear the strain with seamen.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Would new regulations for tug use be instituted by a particular government agency at the federal level, or would it be a state or local thing? I really don't see Congress being able to agree on proper tugging procedures.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vorenus posted:

Would new regulations for tug use be instituted by a particular government agency at the federal level, or would it be a state or local thing? I really don't see Congress being able to agree on proper tugging procedures.

USCG could make it happen.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Nervous posted:

Glad to see you were able to bear the strain with seamen.

A month long tug job crammed full of seamen? You must have really been on edge

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 30, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
cum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Relax, gonna do it

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Hah! Now the left has this thread by the balls.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Vorenus posted:

I would think this would fall under Dept of transportation.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6bOr5VWo5Y

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What if they tried a canal?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

With a bit of effort, they could probably get it to work for something small, but anything sizable would have trouble getting in.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1774081179450249266?s=20

The NY times is rapidly becoming a wordle and mobile gaming company that runs a newspaper on the side

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nice that they found a replacement for the old classified ads with a newspaper on the side business model.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The consequential costs are also staggering. The RORO and container terminal being closed for a couple of months, pants making GBS threads expensive. Not have a bridge for several years pants making GBS threads expensive. Wreck clearing will be pants shittingly expensive. The ship will be off charter, it’ll have to goto ship yard, the general average claim will take years, expensive as all hell.

Tugs are a fart in the wind. Even better they’re stimulative spending. A stimulative fart that the shipping lines would bear.

Pretty much.

Anything you think is expensive to do right in shipping and marine, is pants making GBS threads expensive to do wrong/in a hurry. It's one thing to see the numbers in the news and compare your household budgets to this. The marine world is much easier to think in terms of operation budgets. Servicing ships is mind blowingly expensive, the infrastructure and down time can easily bypass the cost of the boat, and that's normal and expected.

A ship like that is moving what, 150 million in goods? A 5k tug job is a drop in the bucket. Shipping cost for 1 container is in 10k ranges. It's less than a fart in the wind.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

With canals you typically have to go really slowly, bit by bit, and wait for them to adjust before going further. It's possible but takes quite a lot of work.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the spirit of derpies lives on in usce

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1774081179450249266?s=20

The NY times is rapidly becoming a wordle and mobile gaming company that runs a newspaper on the side

I spend hours a week doing their crosswords. Somehow I bought a 1 month membership for it a couple years ago, canceled, and they haven't charged me since then but still give me access.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
The amount of right wing dipshits who don’t know what the goddam establishment clause is for is hilarious. By hilarious I mean infuriating.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dpulex posted:

The amount of right wing dipshits who don’t know what the goddam establishment clause is for is hilarious. By hilarious I mean infuriating.

It’s particularly bothersome that a number of them are on the Supreme Court.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

golden bubble posted:

I think it would be fun to run a newspaper.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Boris Galerkin posted:

I spend hours a week doing their crosswords. Somehow I bought a 1 month membership for it a couple years ago, canceled, and they haven't charged me since then but still give me access.

https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1774268971266822372
https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1774275048053821878
https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1774275049765077146

And the more you think about it the more you realize it's true. Under capitalism, news and journalism exists to support the actual moneymaking part of the organization.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
News/journalism got it's start as explicit propoganda for rich people who could afford to own their own newspaper so "news and journalism exists to support the actual moneymaking part of the organization" is if anything an improvement

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

reignonyourparade posted:

News/journalism got it's start as explicit propoganda for rich people who could afford to own their own newspaper so "news and journalism exists to support the actual moneymaking part of the organization" is if anything an improvement

Support your claim with any amount of research please. Maybe read the wikipedia page for "journalism" to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Support your claim with any amount of research please. Maybe read the wikipedia page for "journalism" to start.

“It’s important to remember that newspapers are a business, and there’s always a profit incentive that can and has affected what gets reported and how.”

“Whoa there, gonna need a source for that!”