Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Saw this question posed elsewhere: if a successful X-Men '97 led to a renewal/continuation of a past Spider-Man series, which would you prefer?

Usually I consider Spectacular Spider-Man to be the best animated TV show but one of the big things it had over the '90s one was the quality of animation. If the '90s show was revived with a similar level of animation and action choreography quality as this new X-Men show, I'd pick the '90s Spider-Man to be continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Saw this question posed elsewhere: if a successful X-Men '97 led to a renewal/continuation of a past Spider-Man series, which would you prefer?

Usually I consider Spectacular Spider-Man to be the best animated TV show but one of the big things it had over the '90s one was the quality of animation. If the '90s show was revived with a similar level of animation and action choreography quality as this new X-Men show, I'd pick the '90s Spider-Man to be continued.

'90 Spidey also has something genuine to resolve. Even '97 X-Men was honestly at a good stopping point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Spider-Man being allowed to punch people would have improved it a ton, and that opening with Cyclops shows Disney is okay with punching.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was talking before about how Rogue especially sounded so much older now, which obviously is to be expected, but I watched an interview with some of the voice actors on IGN and and her voice sounds so much younger when not doing the Rogue accent. I'm guessing the accent just really puts a lot of pressure on her vocals.

It was a fun interview, here it is if anyone wants to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2erQq605j8

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lobok posted:

Greg Weisman has proven to be inconsistent when actually given a chance to continue years-old series of his cancelled prematurely.

I say we see 90s Spiderman find and rescue Mary Jane. It’s just too bad he can’t stay teamed up with Stan and Joan Lee now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

I say we see 90s Spiderman find and rescue Mary Jane. It’s just too bad he can’t stay teamed up with Stan and Joan Lee now.

It's amazing that as many Spider-Verse comics that have come out (especially the more recent ones that are basically "random Spider-person anthology/introduction, not one has bothered to just do a quick version of wrapping that up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

It's amazing that as many Spider-Verse comics that have come out (especially the more recent ones that are basically "random Spider-person anthology/introduction, not one has bothered to just do a quick version of wrapping that up.

The Spiderverse comics would have wrapped it up with Morlun killing both of them so probably for the best.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

The Spiderverse comics would have wrapped it up with Morlun killing both of them so probably for the best.

that's why I specified the more recent ones

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Really hoping they just give it to Studio MIR again and Pete gets to do a maximum spider to jack the ripper carnage

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The actual Spiderverse crossover event in the comics was kinda just obtuse trash aside from the excuse to play around with Spiderman variants (most of the important ones already existing beforehand). The movie basically conjured something really good almost entirely independently of the inspiring source material. It deserves as much celebration as possible for stepping out of the restrictions comic book movies normally get stuck in, and hitting it out of the park.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Greg Weisman has proven to be inconsistent when actually given a chance to continue years-old series of his cancelled prematurely.

I really disliked Young Justice as it went on, but I wasn't much of a fan of its first season in the first place anyways; a lot of the overly-self-serious nature of it was baked in from the start. I think Spectacular Spiderman was set up more to counterbalance that tendency with some more baked-in silliness. I also just really liked the way that Spectacular successfully had a lot of character arcs going on in the background, not just Peter Parker's social circle, but the whole dynamically evolving crime world of NYC.

Stylistically I also really like just the look of Spectacular compared to the 90s show, although there's less of a guarantee that look could be preserved. Unlimited might have it beat stylistically too, and if that somehow got revived that could be pretty wild just rebuilding it from scratch from the ground up.

Pre-90s SpiderMan cartoons kinda lack enough defining features for a revival to be that meaningful. I guess the new Spidey and His Amazing Friends is kinda directly playing off of the 80s show but more thematically consistent.

Worst possible option: MTV SpiderMan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I really just want another Spider-Man show where he's not in high school. The most recent playstation games have shown plenty of other people like that too. You want high school drama make Miles a character on it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

I really just want another Spider-Man show where he's not in high school. The most recent playstation games have shown plenty of other people like that too. You want high school drama make Miles a character on it.

A Spider-Fam series might be good. Pete, Miles, Gwen and Cindy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The last few shows have kinda been that. Ultimate Spider-man's backhalf had a bunch of spider-guys, 2017 spidey introduced a powered Miles early on and then Gwen and Anya got their powers on and off and on again. And finally Spidey and His Amazing Friends has a core cast of Peter, Miles and Gwen in suits.

Honestly, it's one of the reasons I can't imagine Spectacular coming back. You'd get Weissman all revved up and ready for a Gwen-focused season 3 as she deals with Harry's more possessive tendencies and the notes from Disney would read
"You didn't mention it, but since you're obviously going to give Gwen Stacy her Spider-Gwen powers, we would like you to introduce Miles Morales first so audiences know he'll also get bitten by a third spider. Attached is a list of Robert Downey Jr. impersonators you could cast for Tony Stark."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

The actual Spiderverse crossover event in the comics was kinda just obtuse trash aside from the excuse to play around with Spiderman variants (most of the important ones already existing beforehand). The movie basically conjured something really good almost entirely independently of the inspiring source material. It deserves as much celebration as possible for stepping out of the restrictions comic book movies normally get stuck in, and hitting it out of the park.

I really disliked Young Justice as it went on, but I wasn't much of a fan of its first season in the first place anyways; a lot of the overly-self-serious nature of it was baked in from the start. I think Spectacular Spiderman was set up more to counterbalance that tendency with some more baked-in silliness. I also just really liked the way that Spectacular successfully had a lot of character arcs going on in the background, not just Peter Parker's social circle, but the whole dynamically evolving crime world of NYC.

Stylistically I also really like just the look of Spectacular compared to the 90s show, although there's less of a guarantee that look could be preserved. Unlimited might have it beat stylistically too, and if that somehow got revived that could be pretty wild just rebuilding it from scratch from the ground up.

Pre-90s SpiderMan cartoons kinda lack enough defining features for a revival to be that meaningful. I guess the new Spidey and His Amazing Friends is kinda directly playing off of the 80s show but more thematically consistent.

Worst possible option: MTV SpiderMan.

OK, hot take time:

I like MTV Spidey. Like, a lot. It obviously has issues, most of which stem from the sort of odd development process where it was intended to tie in to the movies directly then kind of didn't, but still weren't allow to use most of the big villains in case later movies did. But leaning into the college soap stuff made sense both from a demographic they were after and as a representation of that period of the comics in a way that frankly, Raimi never quite managed. NPH is a great Spider-Man and I quite liked Lisa Loeb's take on MJ too. The new love interest was a nice attempt to inject some diversity into Spidey's world and was a deft way to avoid the Gwen problem both in line with the movies basically ignoring her and the possibility that they might not later.

There were some pretty obvious 'find and replace' jobs with the villains, sure, but usually they put a bit of effort into the reskins and managed to give them a unique enough vibe that it didn't just feel like Black Cat or Kraven with a different colour pallete.

Honestly, I feel like it got Spider-Man more than the movies did (yes, I like Spider-Man 1 and 2... but I don't adore them the way a lot of people do. They feel like a solid adaptation of a memory Raimi has of a very specific window of the comics and that's not really my view of the character so it doesn't quite gel for me)

And as I recall, it didn't even do that badly, it was more a victim of MTV moving away from that kind of programming as it shifted towards the whole reality TV era.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's fair I guess. I didn't really watch much of MTV SpiderMan, the main thing I remember is just hating the way that it looked, since it was trying to do a very cheap yet also very early cel-shading.

I don't expect I would've liked the underlying substance much either since I was never an MTV kinda guy, but ugh that looked awful to me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats just how human beings looked, in 2003.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One of the things I liked MTV Spider-Man for was his speed. Outside of videogames we had not seen an animated or live action Spider-Man that fast before. Both in combat and just in movement in general. His swinging was faster and there was also one ep where he was on foot keeping up with a speeding car.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's fair I guess. I didn't really watch much of MTV SpiderMan, the main thing I remember is just hating the way that it looked, since it was trying to do a very cheap yet also very early cel-shading.

I believe that's what most people remember it (and critique it) for, which is unfortunate if the writing/performances were actually good like Gaz-L said

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The voicework in MTV Spider-Man was fairly solid if nothing else, the visuals just sucked and the whole show basically got retconned out of existence by the second Raimi movie

Though of all places to put it why MTV out of curiosity? I don’t recall them hosting any other hero shows

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 31, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s the only place other than the Daredevil movie to have the Michael Clarke Duncan Kingpin, voiced by Michael Clarke Duncan.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Not out of the realm of possibility that there's a universe where Liquid Television supplanted/preempted Toonami with The Maxx and Aeon Flux and Daria and Spider-Man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

The voicework in MTV Spider-Man was fairly solid if nothing else, the visuals just sucked and the whole show basically got retconned out of existence by the second Raimi movie

Though of all places to put it why MTV out of curiosity? I don’t recall them hosting any other hero shows

Probably because Raimi Spider-Man was a pretty big cultural phenomenon so they wanted to show it as a show for teens and not on Nickelodeon with that kid poo poo (I am not dissing Nick just saying how the marketing people probably thought).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Reportedly MTV also left out Aunt May because they thought seeing old people would put off their audience.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Reportedly MTV also left out Aunt May because they thought seeing old people would put off their audience.

Missed a trick by not pulling the Jon Watts trick and making Aunt May hot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

They could have done what some of the later movies did and made her a bit younger (though I guess that wouldn’t work too well seeing as this explicitly takes place in the Raimi universe)

Also was Michael Clarke Duncan the only movie actor that returned to reprise his role in the cartoon?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

Also was Michael Clarke Duncan the only movie actor that returned to reprise his role in the cartoon?

He was, but you should take a look at some of the people they got to do voices. It’s a pretty wild list.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

He was, but you should take a look at some of the people they got to do voices. It’s a pretty wild list.

Yeah I’ve seen the show, there’s some pretty big names attached to it considering how short lived it wound up being

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Larryb posted:

The Maxx was kinda big at the time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Air Skwirl posted:

The Maxx was kinda big at the time.

The Maxx was eight years before that.

It was also supposed to be an adaptation of Ultimate Spider-Man at first.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always heard TAS did an injustice to Jubilee but I'm reading some early 90s comics now for Sabretooth stuff and I'm not seeing much difference. Rollerblading (what all us 90s kids did, admittedly), using words like "Mondo," and in all ways just coming off as the Kid Character.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 days!)

is she still a vampire now or did she get her powers back

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GateOfD posted:

is she still a vampire now or did she get her powers back

She got her powers back and was devampirized awhile ago. Quinten Quire got a Phoenix spark and sacrificed it to save her in Generation X, volume I can't remember. It was a good book though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wolverine's line in episode 3 "Who? Apocalypse?" was just :discourse:.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I always heard TAS did an injustice to Jubilee but I'm reading some early 90s comics now for Sabretooth stuff and I'm not seeing much difference. Rollerblading (what all us 90s kids did, admittedly), using words like "Mondo," and in all ways just coming off as the Kid Character.

Jubilee for a large part of her existence was always written as what adult men thought teens talked like.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Jubilee for a large part of her existence was always written as what adult men thought teens talked like.

Isn’t that pretty much the case for most teenagers in media?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just continue Spidey 1967

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What about 1966 Hulk.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah you aren't gonna find any classic Jubilee stories. But she was the kid on the team so other kids liked her, similar to Kitty Pryde like a decade earlier.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 days!)

maybe cause she had a prominent role in the high school X-Men animated show and was in the movies, I think Kitty is very popular though, didn't she also date Spider-man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GateOfD posted:

maybe cause she had a prominent role in the high school X-Men animated show and was in the movies, I think Kitty is very popular though, didn't she also date Spider-man

In the Ultimate Universe.

She has dated many a person called Peter.