Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Please show some electoral respect to Sar Jeffry Nonsedildo

e: 113 other Nonsedildo MPs have also been elected who we need to show respect towards too. Seagull-map-jpeg

e2: found it

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
when did St Ives secede from Cornwall

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Not wanting to make light of this topic, but what is meant by ‘historic abuse’? It’s not like there’s another type?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It means that whatever it was (cough, noncing, cough) it happened a long time ago, usually at least 10-15 years ago, and often longer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Please show some electoral respect to Sar Jeffry Nonsedildo

e: 113 other Nonsedildo MPs have also been elected who we need to show respect towards too. Seagull-map-jpeg

e2: found it

What the gently caress is up with those borders? Mainly in Scotland. Like, it definitely isn't council areas, it can't be shires because there's no Moray or Nairnshire, & the bit that includes Inverness is all wrong for Invernessshire. I'm confused. That or the map maker just made it up because who care about them teuchters?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Midlands, West Wales, and South-West are completely made up too, so I think it probably means that seagulls are gonna attack you soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't see my bit very well there's too many birds in the way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's completely normal for the Whitby coast. Let me get your bird flocked forecast.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Those are the borders of Seagull Britain. we shall be under their laws soon enough

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
if i had a familiar it'd be a big bastard gull

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i remember at school the gulls would start circling the playground about 10 minutes before every break/lunch time, every day

i lived near the school and what's even more interesting is they seemed to know when there were and weren't people in the school because the first day of any holiday they'd be nowhere to be seen

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
One time I was having fish and chips on Brighton pier with a mate, and this seagull was sitting on a fencepost nearby watching us. At one point another gull came along and the first gull flew away, letting the other one take its place for about ten minutes. Then gull 1 returned (it had a distinctive little mark on its neck) and gull 2 flew off to let it resume its post. Loo break I suppose.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They used to be dinosaurs.
So be thankful they don't rip out your throats and disembowel you for that ice cream.
The UK is an island. Being attacked by hordes of dinosaurs.
Britassic Park.
Pity everyone is that lawyer guy who gets eaten on the toilet.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the UK is actually many islands :goonsay:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Gull chat:

One time I was in Bristol walking along the edge of the waterfront stuffing a Greggs baguette in my cake 'ole when this gull swooped down over my head and literally stole it from my mouth where I was just tearing a bit off & there was about half a ham & cheese baguette there. I shook my fist at it and shouted 'fascist' at it to the bemusement of those around me.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

crispix posted:

i remember at school the gulls would start circling the playground about 10 minutes before every break/lunch time, every day

i lived near the school and what's even more interesting is they seemed to know when there were and weren't people in the school because the first day of any holiday they'd be nowhere to be seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upqCzKHxWJw

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I shook my fist at it and shouted 'fascist' at it to the bemusement of those around me.

On the contrary, I think you'll find that seagull was living up to Karl Marx's principles. From each according to their ability (person who can buy or make a baguette) to each according to their need (hungry seagull)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Given how insignificant my county is, I'm just glad to see Skegness on a map.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Azza Bamboo posted:

Given how insignificant my county is, I'm just glad to see Skegness on a map.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's a bit mean-spirited, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the stories of people who looked at their expired passport and thought "It'll be fine to go on holiday with this", only to find out [shock] that it wasn't fine.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gull chat:

One time I was in Bristol walking along the edge of the waterfront stuffing a Greggs baguette in my cake 'ole when this gull swooped down over my head and literally stole it from my mouth where I was just tearing a bit off & there was about half a ham & cheese baguette there. I shook my fist at it and shouted 'fascist' at it to the bemusement of those around me.

I've seen Bristol gulls swallow pigeon corpses whole like a pelican, they're maybe just on the verge of being full-on eldritch abominations at this point.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Starbucks posted:

Do you rinse off stuff before putting it in the dishwasher? If so, don’t.
Eh, what :confused: What does this achieve other than causing a blockage?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Microplastics posted:

On the contrary, I think you'll find that seagull was living up to Karl Marx's principles. From each according to their ability (person who can buy or make a baguette) to each according to their need (hungry seagull)

No, definitely fascist. Stealing the bread from the mouths of the workers.

TACD posted:

Eh, what :confused: What does this achieve other than causing a blockage?

Apparently this is a thing.
But I just googled and apparently you should still remove all debris just not water-clean them.

https://www.finish.co.uk/blogs/ultimate-dishwashing-guide/should-you-rinse-dishes-before-dishwasher

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 30, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

kingturnip posted:

It's a bit mean-spirited, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the stories of people who looked at their expired passport and thought "It'll be fine to go on holiday with this", only to find out [shock] that it wasn't fine.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently this is a thing.
But I just googled and apparently you should still remove all debris just not water-clean them.

https://www.finish.co.uk/blogs/ultimate-dishwashing-guide/should-you-rinse-dishes-before-dishwasher
I doubt any of this applies to my pokey little countertop dishwasher, lol. But it still doesn’t explain how pre-rinsing could cause things to fade!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

quote:

A leaked strategy document seen by the Guardian in 2021 advised Labour to make “use of the [union] flag, veterans [and] dressing smartly” as part of a rebranding.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/30/starmer-faces-discontent-as-labour-mps-criticise-election-flyers-union-jacks

quote:

Keir Starmer is facing discontent from Labour MPs over the dominant use of the union flag in election campaign material amid concern it may alienate ethnic minority voters and others.

Concerns were raised at recent meetings of the party’s black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) group at Westminster and also by London members of the parliamentary Labour party. There is also unhappiness among some activists who are reluctant to handle the material.

There was criticism from those at a meeting of MPs from ethnic minority backgrounds, including Starmer’s chief of staff, Sue Gray, and the chief whip, Alan Campbell, of freepost leaflets that were – as one MP put it – “plastered with union jacks”.

It's as if Starmer doesn't know that half the world calls it "The Butcher's Apron".

Labour may as well just rebrand themselves UKIP & get it over with.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

I doubt any of this applies to my pokey little countertop dishwasher, lol. But it still doesn’t explain how pre-rinsing could cause things to fade!

My kitchen is miniscule but I have toyed with the idea of a countertop dishwasher. Is it any good (as compared to hand-washing)?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

TACD posted:

Countertop may be less of an issue but it might excessively clean them that can cause things to fade off. Or it isn’t dishwasher safe.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Proper British Easter

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

Proper British Easter

I think it's something to do with the flesh of jesus

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

smellmycheese posted:

Proper British Easter

They must have been some real big bunnies

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Morning

https://x.com/thelittlegreen6/status/1773722397583061350?s=20

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My kitchen is miniscule but I have toyed with the idea of a countertop dishwasher. Is it any good (as compared to hand-washing)?
It’s brilliant! Mine isn’t large enough to handle full-size dinner plates but it’s so nice to just have all the small plates, tea mugs, cutlery etc taken care of. Yeah my kitchen is very small as well so it sits in the corner next to the sink. I got one of these, largely because I didn’t want the hassle of plumbing the thing in (I fill it with a jug for each wash).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

kingturnip posted:

I actually upset my wife a bit yesterday as we were discussing this and she'd misinterpreted the story and somehow thought you needed 10 years left on your passport to go to Europe now, and I was just dumbfounded at how the story could be so badly mistaken. For the couple in the news recently, their problem was that pre-2018 passports have an extra 9 months on their expiry date, but the EU won't let you in if it was issued over 10 years ago (even if the passport says it's valid). So the error is slightly more understandable but anyone travelling with less than a year left on their passport really should be checking before they travel no matter what. And also renew sooner to get that sweet new passport colour, of course.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

It’s brilliant! Mine isn’t large enough to handle full-size dinner plates but it’s so nice to just have all the small plates, tea mugs, cutlery etc taken care of. Yeah my kitchen is very small as well so it sits in the corner next to the sink. I got one of these, largely because I didn’t want the hassle of plumbing the thing in (I fill it with a jug for each wash).

Looks good! I'll add it to my wishlist.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Marmaduke! posted:

I actually upset my wife a bit yesterday as we were discussing this and she'd misinterpreted the story and somehow thought you needed 10 years left on your passport to go to Europe now, and I was just dumbfounded at how the story could be so badly mistaken. For the couple in the news recently, their problem was that pre-2018 passports have an extra 9 months on their expiry date, but the EU won't let you in if it was issued over 10 years ago (even if the passport says it's valid). So the error is slightly more understandable but anyone travelling with less than a year left on their passport really should be checking before they travel no matter what. And also renew sooner to get that sweet new passport colour, of course.

This happens so often - messaging getting misinterpreted. I keep seeing articles with people saying they're never coming to Wales again because of the 20mph speed limit.
The way this was portrayed in the media was as if ALL roads in Wales would be 20mph whereas it's only within populated areas, not on the open road (where people can still drive at 40, 50, 60mph). I even thought that it meant all roads until I looked in to it.
I did have another example but by the time I came to write it down it had gone again. (Wish you could replay the last minute of braincells actions!)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Anyone have any experience with anti vibration mats? I have a cat fountain upstairs that sends a low hum into the floor below it, so I put it on a flannel and it massively reduced the noise.

I bought some of these looking for a long term fix https://amzn.eu/d/dIUhUQG and they made it worse! They seem to amplify the vibrations. What the hell am I doing wrong? I figured maybe as it's so lightweight compared to a washer they aren't absorbing any of the vibrations, and the mats changed the frequency to have more resonance with the joist but what else do I do?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mebh posted:

Anyone have any experience with anti vibration mats? I have a cat fountain upstairs that sends a low hum into the floor below it, so I put it on a flannel and it massively reduced the noise.

lol I wasn't reading with my brain on so I got really puzzled what kind of house or cat do you have that the cat purring upstairs can be heard downstairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No it's a whole fountain of cats. Going to need suspended joists for that.