Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Make the current three-pointer only count for 2.5 points, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

(march madness announcer voice) they don't need a 2.5er here

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Just make it Arch Rivals rules between the two 3-point lines. Shoot all the threes you want, but you can get shoved and it's not a foul. Inside the 3s to the hoops are normal rules.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Huerter is done for the season with a shoulder injury, he has also been diagnosed with being "very annoying when he played at maryland"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

there's nothing wrong with the three point line

stop it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

That rules. Yeah Russell shoots a decent amount of 3s. The rest of the team not so much. Like LeBron is shooting them well enough this year I wish he would taking them earlier in the game instead of something he does when he is conserving/out of e energy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Hit a 3 and ball doesnt touch the rim= 4 pts
Use the backboard on a 3 = 2 pts and fine for being a busta

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

there's nothing wrong with the three point line

stop it

Correct the real enemy is Daryl Morey convincing people to play awful ball

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://x.com/sportico/status/1773806291288265195?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

God glen taylor is such a poo poo

quote:

Lore and Rodriguez claim Taylor has ordered team leadership to not speak with them. This includes everyone from Timberwolves CEO Ethan Casson down to the players. They’re also not allowed to enter the franchise’s designated family room and certain parts of team facilities, according to them.

He’s trying to play “draw the blinds turn off the lights until they leave” with guys who still own a minority share of the loving team

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I don't get the "every team plays the same way now" argument at all. There's more variety in how teams play today than ever. Yes, all teams shoot a lot more threes (some more than others) but how they generate those shots is quite different. Mavs, Kings, Nuggets, Knicks, Celtics, Thunder... all these successful playoff teams have really different offenses.

In the halcyon days of the 90s everyone did play the same way!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

tanglewood1420 posted:

I don't get the "every team plays the same way now" argument at all. There's more variety in how teams play today than ever. Yes, all teams shoot a lot more threes (some more than others) but how they generate those shots is quite different. Mavs, Kings, Nuggets, Knicks, Celtics, Thunder... all these successful playoff teams have really different offenses.

This a thread of old men old times are always gonna be better

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So I think there was a period late 10s into the 20s, while Front offices, teams, and players adjusted that people were just playing the same type of poo poo basketball.

Or to be more specific a large majority of the bad teams were. Because The Bad teams just saw 3 > 2 was the meta, and essentially just told players to jack up 3's never take middies, and play lovely loving basketball.

I know this because the coach of my team was one of those idiots in Jim Boylan who did nothing but spot Thad Young up in the corner and turn him into a spot up shooter.

Or who like never did anything creative offensively to actually generate good 3's, he just essentially told players to not shoot 2s and didn't do anything creative offensively.

I do legitimately think that was a real problem but nowadays it's been long enough that there is almost always is some sort of structure in 3pt shot generation, and isn't just a bunch of dudes gunning 3's who shouldn't be. Or the dudes who shouldn't be either learned how to or are out of the league I suppose lol

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

tanglewood1420 posted:

I only hear that from people that don't actually watch the games, popovich who is going senile, or college basketball fans.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Tae posted:

I only hear that from people that don't actually watch the games, popovich who is going senile, or college basketball fans.
"They don't play defense anymore! "

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

looks to me like the correlation between 3pt% and winning and the correlation between fg% and winning are more or less identical. i guess what you'd really want to look at would be if fg% was less indicative of winning in the 80s and 90s but I'm going to bet it looks about the same

It’s a make or miss league

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Fat boy run: Jog a few steps and start walking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZTbhZv1Rlg

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Make 3 pointers only worth 2, but bring the possession arrow to nba. Whoever made a “3” most recent gets the possession arrow.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fix this via inflation. Two pointers worth 3 now, three pointers worth 4

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

Three pointers don’t count until your team is in the bonus.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Make dunks worth an extra point for each person you dunk on. If you dunk on the whole team it's a 7 point shot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Chairchucker posted:

Make dunks worth an extra point for each person you dunk on. If you dunk on the whole team it's a 7 point shot.

Anthony Edwards 10 straight MVPs.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

temple posted:

Fat boy run: Jog a few steps and start walking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZTbhZv1Rlg

Jokic knows that Andre is a snake

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

tanglewood1420 posted:

The absolutely hideous things teams did to exploit illegal defense rules.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I remember there were some quotes from Dantoni when 3s were just starting to tick up that he actually wanted his team attempting 50 3s a game, and how he wanted some playing taking 10 3s (maybe that was Bud talking about Korver on the Hawks) and everyone generally thinking that was taking it a bit far, and now you are actually seeing it.

Maybe the uniformity of play in the 2010s and early 2020s was just the slow inching up to what we have now. And now that we’re reaching some equilibrium between 3s and 2s (as the open spacing makes both types worth about the same points), it’s giving room for teams to be inventive.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Wrong thread

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Eliminate the corner three, push the line back in general

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/bballforever_/status/1773883882678669787

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
He needs to be banned, not even kidding. Grant not even flinching on the groin kick is going to go up there with the unfazed kobe inbounds fake though.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

lol pathetic

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Grant not even flinching on the groin kick is going to go up there with the unfazed kobe inbounds fake though.

I mean nah but Draymond is a lovely player.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

(Browsing the box score) Hmm Scoot 20/6/6, not bad…well, -58 though

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Spacebump posted:

This was every Mavs game until the trades. Now they just dunk it down the other team’s throat. The NBA needs to do more to encourage dunks and de-emphasize threes to an extent. Dunks are better entertainment than 3s and the point is entertainment. It is time to make alley oops worth 4 points.

Just want to emphasize that the reigning NBA Champions, the Denver Nuggets, have been in their most dominant state while relying heavily on dunks and post ups.

It is possible to thrive and even win without being 3P shooting machines.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Dunks and layups are like the only shot more efficient than threes.

Even Morey's houston teams wanted layups and dunks more than 3's.

Hell the warriors teams relied on post ups, there's a reason at some point in time a draymond post up was the most efficient play in basketball.

Postups are fine especially if the big/post player is passing into either a dunk or an open 3 off an action.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nice

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Respect for grant for not reacting and dray for living the dream

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Sad to see Draymond still struggling with his mental health :(

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Talked to my aunt who is up in her 80s. She says the suns are hotdoggin too much

verbal enema posted:

i also experience discomfort while sprinting

It cold sucks to run a mile dogg .

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hifi posted:

Talked to my aunt who is up in her 80s. She says the suns are hotdoggin too much

Can't argue

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

its his natural shooting motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Worst single-game +/-s all time aka records were made to be broken. I'm actually cheered to see all the OKCs from just a couple short seasons ago, further evidence I've stumbled on a viable predictor for championship contention

also late to mid-range chat but DeAndre Ayton's elite midrange game is one of the reasons I mostly leave him alone because I find it super fun to watch