Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

San Fran's actually a weird pick, because it's not actually all that big, relatively speaking. #17 in the nation, #4 in California, not even a million residents in the city itself. #13 metro area. Big city, but in outmatched in most respects, not even really close in the running for top of most anything on Wikipedia's city lists. Just kinda has an outsized image compared to what it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The urban area around the bay is big, just none of the cities in it are particularly large. The Bay Area is like having five Clevelands all right next to each other.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But the New York Times told me that this polygon south of Vacaville was “on the outskirts of Silicon Valley”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 30, 2024

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Platystemon posted:

But the New York Times told me that this polygon south of Vacaville was “on the outskirts of Silicon Valley”.

Silicon Valley is roughly just Santa Clara County. People that try to include even San Francisco are wrong.

Including Vacaville would be like calling Philadephia the outskirts of Manhattan

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

The urban area around the bay is big, just none of the cities in it are particularly large. The Bay Area is like having five Clevelands all right next to each other.

but with worse food

:getin:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Family Values posted:

Forced by the rising cost of living, particularly housing. How would housing costs keep going up if there weren't people moving in and buying? The people who are displacing them are moving in for jobs that don't *have* to be there.

Housing in those areas aren't being bought up by actual people trying to move there, it's loving investment groups and rent seakers. Or people just willing to let property stay empty rather than rent at a lower rate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drk posted:

Silicon Valley is roughly just Santa Clara County. People that try to include even San Francisco are wrong.

Including Vacaville would be like calling Philadephia the outskirts of Manhattan

There's a lot of people that live in SF and work in Silicon Valley, which is loving insane to me. Live somewhere cheaper and spend your savings in Ren to take an Uber home from the rave in SF.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

I would. Why do you need as many people as possible? Most of human history had a fraction of the people alive today and we weren't worse off for it.

A future where society fails to properly adapt to the advances in medical and food production technology and is forced to cram as many people into the planet as possible because reproductive habits rooted in perennial starvation and sickness have not changed seems like a much worse world.
I would argue that, even with a lower overall population, we should still be concentrating humanity in urban clusters rather than spreading it out. The mere act of creating a road through a countryside effectively splits populations of smaller critters in two, the effect scaling up the larger the road is. The fewer nodes you have to connect with road and rail, the larger contiguous areas of wilderness you create, which is necessary for the health of the ecosystem. Fewer roads and railways also means it's easier to create adequate wildlife crossings.

Also seems like a bit of a strawman to take "We should concentrate the population into cities" and rewrite it as "We should cram as many people into the planet as possible".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We should do Arcologies.

A city that is just one huge building.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

We should do Arcologies.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I imagine they live in one of those cities. It is a pretty typical attitude there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Family Values posted:

I think it's not necessarily urban vs suburban but rather, do we need to cram everyone into NY SF and LA, or could we instead have a handful of 2-3 million cities distributed about instead? We tend to have cities that specialize: tech in the Bay Area, finance in NY, entertainment in LA, etc. But that's a 20th century model of industry; with the internet and zoom meetings etc. etc. there's no reason those industries can't be distributed across multiple cities like Detroit or St. Louis.

As far as an individual is concerned, is a city of 3 million really more dehumanizing than a city of 10 million? The problem doesn't lie in size but in the quality of infrastructure as far as I'm concerned

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

FreudianSlippers posted:

We should do Arcologies.

May I interest you in the Minnesota Experimental City?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

San Fran's actually a weird pick, because it's not actually all that big, relatively speaking. #17 in the nation, #4 in California, not even a million residents in the city itself. #13 metro area. Big city, but in outmatched in most respects, not even really close in the running for top of most anything on Wikipedia's city lists. Just kinda has an outsized image compared to what it deserves.

I hate how so many American cities are so stupidly defined by county lines or whatever and the real population for all practical purposes is hidden as the metropolitan area . Yes, Los Angeles actually only has population of 10,000, the continuous sprawl of 10 million people that surrounds it is just incidental and doesn't count, we drew a line on the map and everything!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Admiralty law is, unsurprisingly, not well equipped to deal with issues on land.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Brawnfire posted:

I live by a highschool across from a McDonald's

There's a gang of the nastiest seagulls who just own the parking lot and constantly gorge themselves on greasy wrappers

You're what you eat and by that I mean Seagulls taste like double whoppers.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

Housing in those areas aren't being bought up by actual people trying to move there, it's loving investment groups and rent seakers. Or people just willing to let property stay empty rather than rent at a lower rate.

lol

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

steinrokkan posted:

I hate how so many American cities are so stupidly defined by county lines or whatever and the real population for all practical purposes is hidden as the metropolitan area . Yes, Los Angeles actually only has population of 10,000, the continuous sprawl of 10 million people that surrounds it is just incidental and doesn't count, we drew a line on the map and everything!

I mean the area inside that line is the area that the city government controls administers and passes policies and ordinances for. It’s not just trivia really

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Incredible Shrinking Virginia

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you wanna go fuzzy "everyone who is connected to or relies on things related to this one city" measurements, that's what metropolitan statistical areas are for, but those often go kinda overboard with including big huge empty areas or decreeing that separate cities are linked across fairly empy areas as one singular unit. You are also condemned to a thousand hours of somebody talking to you about the Dallas fort worth Metroplex as one of the biggest and most important city-like units in the nation and still growing.

The dynamics of growing cities maybe eventually forming weird fusions of administratively separate units that don't want to fully acknowledge the fact that they have become a singular unit also exist in other countries. Suburbs are constantly refusing to be administratively annexed, places with long histories of rivalry often refuse to give up their identity.

I think the only way you can get around that is if either there's no local input or if you're building cities basically from scratch in the middle of nowhere and you can annex lots of empty space in advance of your prospective needs so that you don't have to worry about resistance of locals.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you wanna go fuzzy "everyone who is connected to or relies on things related to this one city" measurements, that's what metropolitan statistical areas are for, but those often go kinda overboard with including big huge empty areas or decreeing that separate cities are linked across fairly empy areas as one singular unit. You are also condemned to a thousand hours of somebody talking to you about the Dallas fort worth Metroplex as one of the biggest and most important city-like units in the nation and still growing.

The dynamics of growing cities maybe eventually forming weird fusions of administratively separate units that don't want to fully acknowledge the fact that they have become a singular unit also exist in other countries. Suburbs are constantly refusing to be administratively annexed, places with long histories of rivalry often refuse to give up their identity.

I think the only way you can get around that is if either there's no local input or if you're building cities basically from scratch in the middle of nowhere and you can annex lots of empty space in advance of your prospective needs so that you don't have to worry about resistance of locals.

Posted before but for personal pop statistics purposes:
https://www.tomforth.co.uk/circlepopulations/

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder. How significant is the Bay Area region (assuming significance = population), if you don't take arbitrary administrative barriers into consideration?

Using the circle population tool referenced in the previous post, I can get just about 6 million people in a 50km radius circle centered on Haywood- this includes San Francisco, San Jose, etc. so I feel I'm being pretty generous.

The same circle easily gets 12 million in LA, 16 million in NYC, 8 million in Chicago, 7 million around Washington D.C/Baltimore, 7 million around Dallas/Ft. Worth, 7 million around Houston. I can get 5 million around Boston, Atlanta, and Phoenix. I can't quite get to 6 million around Philadelphia, but it's close.

In conclusion I would have to agree with that that putting San Francisco in the same category as LA or NYC is absurd, even if you generously give it the whole Bay Area, and its lower place in population lists is not just an artifact of administrative divisions. It is at best Philadelphia-tier, and does not deserve any special place in a list of the largest cities in the US.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

steinrokkan posted:

This is true of cities pretty much everywhere. Helsinki: artificially divided into four cities; Stockholm: weird random counties start basically in the middle of the city; Copenhagen: same; Paris: famously a city of only three million or whatever.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know about the others but the story I heard about Copenhagen is that the reason there's an enclave in the middle of the city that is in a different municipality is because that's where the rich people live and they didn't want to pay city taxes for the poor.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most of the Metropolitan Statistical Area lists cut the Bay Area in half, since otherwise the Bay Area is more than twice as large in area than any other Metropolitan Statistical Area which is just kinda silly. It is around the size of Albania.

The Bay Area is listed as one of the units of the Combined Statistical Areas list, which are these hulking behemoths which almost certainly have passed the point where they should be considered singular cities. Here's MSAs and CSAs.

And then the Bay Area still ends up as only #5 among all that.

That also runs into the weird point that San Jose is bigger than San Francisco. Has been since 1990. Its metropolitan statistical area at the south of the bay of San Jose–Sunnyvale–Santa Clara may be smaller than the northern San Francisco–Oakland–Fremont, but it kinda makes me think that San Jose should probably have more dominance over the whole of the Bay Area over San Francisco, regardless of which city the bay was named for.

Incidentally, the one Wikipedia list I did find where San Francisco in the top 3 was "GDP per capita", where San Francisco's metropolitan statistical area was #3, right behind San Jose's MSA. But in the #1 spot was the absolute titan of Midland, Texas, which I think puts into doubt the importance of that statistic.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know about the others but the story I heard about Copenhagen is that the reason there's an enclave in the middle of the city that is in a different municipality is because that's where the rich people live and they didn't want to pay city taxes for the poor.

Yeah I mean there's usually valid historical reasons for these cases, but when the city grows it becomes very artificial for most purposes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

it kinda makes me think that San Jose should probably have more dominance over the whole of the Bay Area over San Francisco, regardless of which city the bay was named for.

The body of water was named first.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'd be interested in the logistics of a massive cube-house that is the home of the entire human race.

Do farmers commute halfway across the world to tend to their crop? Is there a 20-lane highway just for the cargo? How claustrophobic do you feel living somewhere at the bottom, like the 5th floor, in the center of the cube?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nimby posted:

I'd be interested in the logistics of a massive cube-house that is the home of the entire human race.

Do farmers commute halfway across the world to tend to their crop? Is there a 20-lane highway just for the cargo? How claustrophobic do you feel living somewhere at the bottom, like the 5th floor, in the center of the cube?

That just sounds like the fastest way to get all of humanity to kill one another.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that would also be like, all humans stacked together like sardines with just enough room for the structural elements. So less housing and more like a mortuary for the entire species.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 30, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why not go one step further

quote:

If you blended all 7.88 billion people on Earth into a fine goo (density of a human = 985 kg/m3, average human body mass = 62 kg), you would end up with a sphere of human goo just under 1 km wide. I made a visualization of how that would look like in the middle of Central Park in NYC

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think that would also be like, all humans stacked together like sardines with just enough room for the structural elements. So less housing and more like a mortuary for the entire species.
Yeah, it doesn't look much bigger than the classic NYC meat orb.

e: I suppose no one will be confused about what I meant now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hate that I can't get a classic NYC meat orb in chicago, they only have deep dish meat orb.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I prefer the Connecticut handmade orb.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Could I have a meat orb made in a country with worker rights?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All the countries with worker's rights also had some ethical objections to blending all 7.88 billion people on Earth into a fine goo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They could blend 7.88 billion people into goo and still have a Brazil left over.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I could have seen Bolsonaro having no ethical objections to that, but he was also an anti worker's rights guy.

Maybe Archibald Wanka down in Argentina will do it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guavanaut posted:

All the countries with worker's rights also had some ethical objections to blending all 7.88 billion people on Earth into a fine goo.
You can't make a meat orb without blending a few people :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

We shouldn't reject ideas a priori, before we even gave them a honest go