Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Non Compos Mentis posted:

you know what would save music festivals? bike paths to the music festivals

I used to get a regular gig with some guys I know at the Boogie music festival up in Tallarook, roughly 100km north of Melbourne. It was a real pain in the rear end to get our stuff all the way out there, better transportation would have saved us a lot of pain

(A bike path wouldn't have helped much, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

you know what would save music festivals? bike paths to the music festivals

I think a ferry was the proposal.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I used to get a regular gig with some guys I know at the Boogie music festival up in Tallarook, roughly 100km north of Melbourne. It was a real pain in the rear end to get our stuff all the way out there, better transportation would have saved us a lot of pain

(A bike path wouldn't have helped much, though)

Just a quick ride over the dividing range, no biggie

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Drug dealers on bikes using bike paths and flinging their paid deliveries into the baskets of bikes of buyers passing in the opposite direction.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

How about music festivals to bike paths? We attract people to the superior mode of transportation with entertainment?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

After the splendour in the grass cancellation there was a callout for submissions wrt using arts funding to figure out a sustainable way to keep music festivals viable let's not distract Bucky with petty matters of bike paths and violent racial subjugation

I had a quick chat with AJ Maddah the other night, about the concert concept I pitched in GBS a couple weeks ago. He agreed it’s the way to go, but it turns out hiring the Showgrounds costs about $420K. And they keep all the food and beverage spend. So it might be better to set up in a park. Centennial is proven obviously, and would work fine (although still has weirdly difficult access considering how central it is), but I do think Newington Armoury would be lovely. One stage, 10-15 bands, preferably Aussie, good food and drinks, out on the grass, set up your spot without having to move, everyone enjoy everything all together, done. There’s even the potential to do camping there if you want to make it a whole lot more complicated. There was at least one camping festival there at one point but I can’t remember what it was.

And yes it would be especially rad if we rebuilt the wharf there, otherwise we can ride down from the Olympic park wharf. Or just get busses and shuttles from the train station.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 30, 2024

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JBP posted:

I read yesterday that 60% of people in Aus don't have a thousand bucks in their bank account. Absolutely dire.

I dunno, it's a time-honoured tradition in this country to live paycheque to paycheque while pouring almost everything into the mortgage, and in the long run those people are the ones who end up the most financially secure

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think a ferry was the proposal.

Is there some naval base to convert into ferry parking nearby?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Peter Dutton: A big issue for music festivals is the cost of electricity. A Small Nuclear Reactor the size of a portaloo would generate enough electricity to power a whole Fred Again concert or even a performance by some (not all) of the Avalanches.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Is there some naval base to convert into ferry parking nearby?

No, the naval base has been earmarked to be converted into megayacht parking

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Funnily enough the naval base already has a ferry wharf, which goes literally no where

But yes we are talking about converting a wharf that was used by the army for loading and unloading ammo at Newington

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Hopefully they can leave behind a bit of uxo to blow up a few billionaires

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
bike paths are about the right size for electric golf carts if you wanna transport stuff bigger than a bicycle can handle.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
some form of electric footpath

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Spookydonut posted:

bike paths are about the right size for electric golf carts if you wanna transport stuff bigger than a bicycle can handle.

We could make amphibious ferries like the ones used in harbour tours, just golf cart sized. Have the bike path end at a boat landing, then carry people to the festival!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

I dunno, it's a time-honoured tradition in this country to live paycheque to paycheque while pouring almost everything into the mortgage, and in the long run those people are the ones who end up the most financially secure

This doesn't really compute compared to the number of home owners imo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

JBP posted:

If you include the landlord's mortgage it's closer

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
You're all missing the obvious solution to ALL of these problems. Hovercraft. No need for bike paths if everyone's using a personal hovercraft. Need somewhere for a ferry to dock? You know what doesn't need to dock? A hovercraft. Oh no, don't have a venue for your music festival? Just get a hundred hovercraft and tie them together out in the sea, no need to pay for the venue, no need to get 100,000 toilets. Just poo poo in the sea.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And given that hovercraft have protective meshes underneath their fans, you can run over joggers with them.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

magtube?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Pneumatic tubes, Jetsons style

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
A very fast loop of some sort

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

what do you think a golf cart can handle that an e-bike can't

Konomex posted:

You're all missing the obvious solution to ALL of these problems. Hovercraft. No need for bike paths if everyone's using a personal hovercraft. Need somewhere for a ferry to dock? You know what doesn't need to dock? A hovercraft. Oh no, don't have a venue for your music festival? Just get a hundred hovercraft and tie them together out in the sea, no need to pay for the venue, no need to get 100,000 toilets. Just poo poo in the sea.

I think they're pretty noisy unfortunately. And powered by fossil fuels.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wooooo

(I haven't actually been but my friend entrusted this to me and spoke highly of it)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/mar/31/bruce-lehrmann-defamation-trial-network-ten-asks-to-re-open-its-defence-citing-fresh-evidence

hahaha wuh woh

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Jesus 60% is dire, I make award wage and pay 40 % in rent and I still have grand of savings, surely a good chunk of that are people doing ok just leveraged to poo poo with illiquid assets?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Jesus 60% is dire, I make award wage and pay 40 % in rent and I still have grand of savings, surely a good chunk of that are people doing ok just leveraged to poo poo with illiquid assets?

[anakin/padme meme]

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Have you tried being Bruce Lehrmann? Channel 7 will pay your rent for you.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JBP posted:

How so? It's a lower figure than the number who are homeowners (67%).

I'd want to know exactly what that survey means when they ask "in your bank account," though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Have you tried being Bruce Lehrmann? Channel 7 will pay your rent for you.

I don't think it was the "Bruce Lehrmann" part of LNP staffer and alleged rapist Bruce Lehrmann that had channel 7 handing over cash.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Just commit war crimes like a normal person if you want that channel 7 cash.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I had a quick chat with AJ Maddah the other night, about the concert concept I pitched in GBS a couple weeks ago. He agreed it’s the way to go, but it turns out hiring the Showgrounds costs about $420K. And they keep all the food and beverage spend. So it might be better to set up in a park. Centennial is proven obviously, and would work fine (although still has weirdly difficult access considering how central it is), but I do think Newington Armoury would be lovely. One stage, 10-15 bands, preferably Aussie, good food and drinks, out on the grass, set up your spot without having to move, everyone enjoy everything all together, done. There’s even the potential to do camping there if you want to make it a whole lot more complicated. There was at least one camping festival there at one point but I can’t remember what it was.

And yes it would be especially rad if we rebuilt the wharf there, otherwise we can ride down from the Olympic park wharf. Or just get busses and shuttles from the train station.

AJ Maddah drove not only Soundwave, but the Big Day Out also, into the loving ground. He owes multiple bands up to 160k each that he just never paid. He is a piece of poo poo.

Granted BDO was on the out already, but if he had any business sense at all he would've at least made a blip - he didn't.

To answer the question of how do you fix the festival industry:
- grants and funding directly to artists. Not venues or promoters.
- reduced requirements for police presence and reduction in fees. Incentives for good behaviour/low incidents records.
- pill testing, amnesty bins, decrim drugs, ban sniffer dogs etc etc etc
- prevent or deny international megacorps like LiveNation buying venues and promoters (they own half of secret sounds that run Splendour)
- federal minimum wage/fee for all artists with a national fund for insurance to protect artists from losing money like on Splendour.

The problem is everyone at the top is copping the grants from the government and the profits so by the time it trickles down to the artist it's less than a drop in a bucket. But! along the way there is transport and stage crews and management and media and all these other 9-5 mon-fri literal non-creative industries that all get paid and pay government tax etc. so the government doesn't give a poo poo, the money is going into the industry and festivals will boom and bust and artists will lose money and opportunities and it'll keep going.

Go support local music. The best bands you've never heard are playing a bar near you nearly every night of the week in Sydney or Melbourne. It's cheaper, more intimate and it's not an overcrowded, overpriced drug slum (it's just a regular drug slum)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
today i learned the AFL itself gets a cut of all bets made on its games

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Festivals are also hosed because the dollar is bad and Z tier international talent is going to other places that pay better.

Tbh I think festivals are just hosed because the culture has changed and no level of free for all drug use is bringing them back.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Laserface posted:

The best bands you've never heard are playing a bar near you nearly every night of the week in Sydney or Melbourne.

Rude of you to exclude brisbane when we are constantly sending you top tier musicians that can't make a living playing music here

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Perth always had good local bands in the early 2010s I don't see why that would have changed either.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

AJ Maddah drove not only Soundwave, but the Big Day Out also, into the loving ground. He owes multiple bands up to 160k each that he just never paid. He is a piece of poo poo.

Granted BDO was on the out already, but if he had any business sense at all he would've at least made a blip - he didn't.

To answer the question of how do you fix the festival industry:
- grants and funding directly to artists. Not venues or promoters.
- reduced requirements for police presence and reduction in fees. Incentives for good behaviour/low incidents records.
- pill testing, amnesty bins, decrim drugs, ban sniffer dogs etc etc etc
- prevent or deny international megacorps like LiveNation buying venues and promoters (they own half of secret sounds that run Splendour)
- federal minimum wage/fee for all artists with a national fund for insurance to protect artists from losing money like on Splendour.

The problem is everyone at the top is copping the grants from the government and the profits so by the time it trickles down to the artist it's less than a drop in a bucket. But! along the way there is transport and stage crews and management and media and all these other 9-5 mon-fri literal non-creative industries that all get paid and pay government tax etc. so the government doesn't give a poo poo, the money is going into the industry and festivals will boom and bust and artists will lose money and opportunities and it'll keep going.

Go support local music. The best bands you've never heard are playing a bar near you nearly every night of the week in Sydney or Melbourne. It's cheaper, more intimate and it's not an overcrowded, overpriced drug slum (it's just a regular drug slum)

Yeah man we all know the story. For several years he put on some of the best shows with the best line ups Australia has ever seen. Then yes, a lot of things happened and he spread too thin and made some bad calls and it all collapsed, around the same time as most other big festivals like future and stereo went under too. Apparently he's still repaying people despite having no legal obligation to do so.

Of course everyone should support local music. People should also have the opportunity to dance outside with 10,000 people and a dozen great bands (that don't just play heavy stuff), and this format appears to be the best way to do that. Any good park do, but this one would be particularly sweet:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Are they really not doing festivals where you are Bucky? Admittedly the market for festivals seems to be leaning much more towards heavy music or DJs but like it seems like the issue is that people that share your taste in music aren't really the festival going demographic which feels on par with 'triple J stopped playing music that appeals to me' levels of 'no it's the children that are wrong' level thinking

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

They are famously dropping left and right, to the point where it’s a pretty big news story, and yes unless you like metal there isn’t really anything.

I think the children are alright, it’s the promoters who are getting it wrong by failing to provide a sustainable offering.

And a bunch of other kings like Aussie dollar and cost of living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

There has been a non metal music festival once a month in Brisbane since November what are you talking about