Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

the_steve posted:

If you suggest the category and enough people submit entries for it, DV will add it.

"Actual Lol" would make for a good category imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
fwiw there is a best overall category.

We should where possible avoid creating categories where we're just listing everything that falls within that category, rather than selecting the cartoons that are contenders to be the most, worst, etc of their type; I think the fact that we're currently just flagging a lot of things for being "of a type" is part of why I still have another loving five hundred entries to process from 2023.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on why Rishi Sunak fears crossing the road – As Labour launches its local election campaign, the PM is taking a roasting over when a general election will be called"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Keir Starmer backs Angela Rayner in council house row – but admits he hasn’t seen her tax advice

Independent:

Boat Race rowers warned to not enter water after E coli discovery

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kellies Nomination: Worst Concern Trolling

Not a huge Rayner fan but she sold one council house before she was an MP and there must be about 50 other MPs who just go 'oopsie' as fraudulent deeds and stock certificates and tax returns fly out of every pocket.

Jeremy Hunt forgot he owned 7 apartments, Nadhim Zahawi forgot to pay £4.8 million in taxes, Geoffrey Cox forgot to declare £400K, Theresa Villiers forgot she owned an interest via thousands of Shell shares, doing any of those Matt?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

“always skip Collins” goes unchallenged

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:
There weren't many suitable cartoons on Friday so I'm combining two days in one.

Pope:

The Easter Bilby (Wikipedia).

Katauskas:

Fears grow Meta will block news on Facebook and Instagram as Australian government faces pressure to act (Guardian). Currently Meta has a deal with Australian publishers to pay for their news content but they say they won't renew the contract.

Wilcox:

Faith groups warn Albanese a deal with Greens on religious discrimination would be a 'betrayal' (ABC).

Kudelka:

Spooner:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Trapezium Dave posted:

:australia:
There weren't many suitable cartoons on Friday so I'm combining two days in one.

Pope:

The Easter Bilby (Wikipedia).

This is low-key awful, since it loudly skips the part the Bilby is "rabbiting on about" that includes child labor and general brutality.

Like, enjoy Easter. Enjoy chocolate. But presenting that as some smug victory in the culture war puts you on a real bad side of that struggle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The Modern Leper posted:

This is low-key awful, since it loudly skips the part the Bilby is "rabbiting on about" that includes child labor and general brutality.

Like, enjoy Easter. Enjoy chocolate. But presenting that as some smug victory in the culture war puts you on a real bad side of that struggle.

Your interpretation is reversed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mlnhd posted:

“always skip Collins” goes unchallenged

wow how dare you

i mean yeah sometimes it's just slightly wacky observational gags, but when he's good he's very good, particularly when the strip has anything to do with current events

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Discendo Vox posted:

Your interpretation is reversed.

I'll accept that

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Skipping Collins is a war crime.

Amjad Rasmi

Carlos Latuff

In which the drive to force TikTok into US stewardship is a conspiracy by the Jews Israelis.

Dick Wright

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

NEMØ - White Cranes

Okay.

Patrick Chappatte

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

idonotlikepeas posted:

Skipping Collins is a war crime.
Collins is at least a good reminder to go back and check the reference that you didn't get from the other ones. Speaking of which, i think this thread should get more Squires.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

fwiw there is a best overall category.

We should where possible avoid creating categories where we're just listing everything that falls within that category, rather than selecting the cartoons that are contenders to be the most, worst, etc of their type; I think the fact that we're currently just flagging a lot of things for being "of a type" is part of why I still have another loving five hundred entries to process from 2023.

You know I didn't think that was what was happening, and just assumed people really did find it to be worst of the worst, but drat if there's that much to go through then yeah, only choose something when it really hits you.

Again I wouldn't nominate that Whamond for best cartoon by a long shot, and I don't think I genuinely laugh at any of these. Kelly or Collins might make me chuckle or smile, but laugh? That's never happened in the years of keeping up with this thread, there's not enough content for that category. You lot make me laugh, these comics do not.

China Daily

No place for nests by Li Min

Terrorism by Cai Meng

In the shadows by Luo Jie

War economy by Cai Meng

The money trap by Luo Jie

Le Monde

by Urbs from France
High school is getting complicated
"This afternoon we had a pop cyber-attack!"
"Oh? Did we have to study?"
Schools in the Paris region have been getting bomb threats. Mine has gotten a couple already. It's annoying.

by Lectrr from Belgium

Gaza : l’ONU réclame un cessez-le-feu/Gaza: The UN calls for a cease-fire by Emad Hajjaj from Jordan

by Dilem from Algeria
ISIS claims the attack in Moscow
Sign readsThe culprit
"They should just mind their own business."

by Urbs from France
That Damned Michelin Guide
"He lost a star."
"Well, we'll just ask for last year's menu."

Élections au Sénégal : victoire de l’opposition au premier tour/Senegalese Election: The Opposition wins the first round by Meddy from Tanzania

Ben Garrison

I'm not posting his rants. I never read them and it's more trouble than it's worth.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

idonotlikepeas posted:

NEMØ - White Cranes

this guy's a real big fan of the "do basically the same cartoon multiple times" strategy huh

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ann Telnaes

Bill Bramhall

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

Matt Wuerker

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wish I could take credit for the edit, but, I just stumbled across it on Twitter.
https://x.com/ValMorningstar_/status/1773650191159054727?s=20

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
lol "driving gasoline cars is more fun so let's not change"

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Angepain posted:

this guy's a real big fan of the "do basically the same cartoon multiple times" strategy huh

NEM0 is a conservative cartoon AI, and I will not accept any other explanation.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

I'm half expecting Payne to send him a cease and desist for trying to steal his schtick.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also, gas pumps don't work without power, so if the EV charger is out, one would expect the pump to be out as well?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Also, gas pumps don't work without power, so if the EV charger is out, one would expect the pump to be out as well?

In a lot of places its required by law that gas stations have backup generators.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Vib Rib posted:

Just to be clear : EVs are actually super fun to drive. My incredibly boring looking hatchback is the zippiest thing I’ve ever driven.

And public charging is pretty much just for emergency top ups. All your actual charging should be at your house, where you just plug the car in at night.

Sorry if I’m a broken record on this, but none of it’s even a little true. It’s maddening.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just to be clear : EVs are actually super fun to drive. My incredibly boring looking hatchback is the zippiest thing I’ve ever driven.

And public charging is pretty much just for emergency top ups. All your actual charging should be at your house, where you just plug the car in at night.

Sorry if I’m a broken record on this, but none of it’s even a little true. It’s maddening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FAqwkn-pc

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

https://twitter.com/Pureblood_2022/status/1773452621140861219
:lol:

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

the_steve posted:

Wish I could take credit for the edit, but, I just stumbled across it on Twitter.
https://x.com/ValMorningstar_/status/1773650191159054727?s=20

https://youtu.be/0wjyaF8ut_E?si=qK8vjmTEzwbP4nVP

This is what Ben and Payne honestly believe

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, I've had an EV for about 3 years now and have never once used a public charging station. I have come close to running out of charge exactly once, and even then I didn't. And it is the only car I have ever actually felt comfortable driving

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, I've had an EV for about 3 years now and have never once used a public charging station. I have come close to running out of charge exactly once, and even then I didn't. And it is the only car I have ever actually felt comfortable driving

I’ve used public charging under two circumstances, total. The first was just to make sure DC fast charging actually works in my car, so I don’t find out I bought a busted one three years from now in case I need it in an emergency. The other is because I only do level 1 at home (i.e. literally just using a wall outlet), very rarely if I need to do a lot of driving in multiple days back to back (more than 200 miles in 2 days), I park it in the tiny bullshit town I live by for a bit to speed it up with level 2.

Otherwise my entire “fueling” is just an outdoor outlet near the driveway and an extra $20 in my electric bill. Absolutely life-changing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The biggest issue with EVs is the massive torque they give to spin the tires, which wrecks them fast. It's not uncommon to see tesla drivers say they need new tires after a mere 15k driving on them because drivers launch em. It's not limited to tesla as well, because rather than looking at EVs as an alternative to gas power and a potential way to reduce CO2, manufacturers have decided to make them luxury cars, having them get bigger and stronger and to the point that the size of them makes them hardly any better than internal combustion cars. The Hummer EV has one of the worse environmental impact ratings, and the best one isn't even an EV, it's plug-in hybrids. This whole conversation of course ignores that we've built infrastructure around requiring cars, loving over public transit and demonizing the idea of 15 minute cities.

Of course, none of this nuance even registers on Garrison or Payne so you'd never really see comics on it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

seiferguy posted:

The biggest issue with EVs is the massive torque they give to spin the tires, which wrecks them fast. It's not uncommon to see tesla drivers say they need new tires after a mere 15k driving on them because drivers launch em. It's not limited to tesla as well, because rather than looking at EVs as an alternative to gas power and a potential way to reduce CO2, manufacturers have decided to make them luxury cars, having them get bigger and stronger and to the point that the size of them makes them hardly any better than internal combustion cars. The Hummer EV has one of the worse environmental impact ratings, and the best one isn't even an EV, it's plug-in hybrids. This whole conversation of course ignores that we've built infrastructure around requiring cars, loving over public transit and demonizing the idea of 15 minute cities.

Of course, none of this nuance even registers on Garrison or Payne so you'd never really see comics on it.

Nobody should ever buy a Hummer EV, but it still has a lower carbon impact than basically any modern "light truck" or SUV you see hundreds of on the road daily hauling fat bastards to work or the grocery store.

Also on tires, one of the easiest ways to make a high efficiency/low rolling resistance tire specific for EVs is to start with less tread depth right from manufacturing. It should be no surprise to anyone that high performance vehicles which lean on the heavy side will more quickly wear out their already thin from the factory tires. There isn't actually anything specific to EVs that burn up tires faster than an ICE vehicle with the same weight/power would. That being said, EVs are probably always going to have a fair amount more power/torque than ICE vehicles in the same class because it is just easier to get that kind of instant power output from batteries. Like recently I saw a video on youtube where some lunatic wired up a huge bank of lead acid batteries and used them to instantly melt/explode various nuts/bolts/metal tools/etc, and at one point in the video he did some napkin math based on the voltage drop during a discharge to calculate out that the bank was putting out around 3 megawatts or 4000 horsepower. Absurd power and torque is just a thing EVs are going to have because both are just so easily accessible with batteries and motors.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on a bad egg for Rishi Sunak this Easter – Criticism is mounting over the failures of Thames Water and the prime minister’s controversial honours list"

Telegraph:

Thames Water shareholders demand 40pc bill rise after cutting off funding

Independent:

After Fliegende Blätter.

The i paper:

Times:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Amjad Rasmi

Bob Englehart

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

David Horsey

Dick Wright - Never Trumpers

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Koterba

Matt Davies

Randall Enos

Walt Handelsman

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't like how Horsey uses quotation marks and speech lines.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Bob Englehart

Lieberman, the man who broke up the blue wave?

quote:

gently caress aaalllllllll the way off, Dick.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idonotlikepeas posted:

Bob Englehart

loving what

idonotlikepeas posted:

Biden sucks rear end but I'm wondering what the country "not surviving" looks like to Wright

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

I don't like how Horsey uses quotation marks and speech lines.

I totally get wanting to not do word bubbles and that’s a cool thing to play with, but he really goes for the ugliest option. Even just dropping the quotation marks would be an improvement.

Horsey is probably the cartoonist I find most frustrating. I hate many others far more, but he’s always just not as good as he obviously could be. Whether it’s artistically or politically, my reaction is consistently, “O come the gently caress on, Dave, you know better.”

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Does every loving conservative forget that COVID happened during Trump’s presidency?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

JamesBont posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Does every loving conservative forget that COVID happened during Trump’s presidency?

I mean they think that both the Great Recession and 9/11 happened under Obama, so I would guess you are correct there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vib Rib posted:

Biden sucks rear end but I'm wondering what the country "not surviving" looks like to Wright

More brown people showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Vib Rib posted:

More immigrants, more gender-neutral bathrooms, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!