Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Craptacular! posted:

I guess my thing is, a week at Disney World is a lot more expensive than it used to be too, but it used to be 3-4 video cards expensive, and now it's like 1-2 video cards expensive, because while the overall price of both things is higher one has accelerated more the past seven years.

It also doesn't help that, unlike Apple, Jansen has no interest in selling multiple generations at once. I don't NEED the iPhone 15 if the 13 does what I need and, more importantly, is available.

They do sell multiple generations at once though, Nvidia went so far as to introduce a new model of 3050 recently: https://www.techspot.com/review/2816-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-6gb/

It's selling like gangbusters: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/97096/nvidias-nerfed-rtx-3050-6gb-gpu-is-selling-like-hotcakes-apparently-at-least-in-china/index.html

quote:

that apparently graphics card manufacturers over in the country are increasing the asking price of the RTX 3050 6GB, or that's the word on the grapevine, specifically from the Chinese Board Channel forums.

This isn't a source which we regard as the most reliable, but to be fair, it has got things right in the past.

At any rate, we're told that the RTX 3050 6GB is getting a price increase of 100 RMB, which represents a 7% hike in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Last time I spent over a grand on a hobby, it was darknet drugs, so my 4090 is a lesser evil to say the least.
Until the next electric bill arrives

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

how much does a PS5-equivalent PC build cost currently?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PC gaming is as accessible as it gets when it comes to hobbies that require you to buy gear. Even in Cuba folks scrounge up parts and make it happen. Used parts from the USA make their way there. You don't need high end parts or even current generation ones. Someone with a Geforce 970 can have a great time with hundreds of good games to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhQT01VwO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID5XJDdUxTg

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
My only other hobby is photography, recently medium format. I think gaming is cheaper. I do need a tremendous amount of vram to stack several 100 megapixel images which I lack. Waiting on the next gen to hopefully snag a 24 GB one cheap.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

They do sell multiple generations at once though, Nvidia went so far as to introduce a new model of 3050 recently: https://www.techspot.com/review/2816-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-6gb/

It's selling like gangbusters: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/97096/nvidias-nerfed-rtx-3050-6gb-gpu-is-selling-like-hotcakes-apparently-at-least-in-china/index.html

That’s not what he meant and you know it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just finished AW2 and I'm not sure why but something about the last few chapters made my 4070 ti rev up to the loudest I've ever heard it and draw a sustained 260 watts despite not being overclocked. This has literally never happened before

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Last few chapters made my 3080 do similar stuff/struggle as the framerate dropped to what felt like the 30s a lot. I think the game is just really demanding

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

shrike82 posted:

Like $800 or so, I think?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

YerDa Zabam posted:

Spent the last month RMAing my (two) rattling ProArt 4080 supers,which is rather disappointing. However, I channeled my frustration into selling all my old crap on ebay, and now I can afford a 4090. I also have an actual spare room, rather than a room-o-shite.

Do you think you just got unlucky with production batches, or is the 4080 ProArt Super not as well made as it seems? I like the idea of the smaller cooler and the visual design, but if they're lower quality then I'll keep looking

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
EDIT: wrong thread, intended for youtube tech.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 30, 2024

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

shrike82 posted:

Google-fu led me here

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/268621/20211128/ps5-equivalent-pc-build.htm

It says $1,176.95

https://gamingbolt.com/how-much-would-it-cost-to-build-a-pc-like-ps5-in-2023

This link says $770 though

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Do you think you just got unlucky with production batches, or is the 4080 ProArt Super not as well made as it seems? I like the idea of the smaller cooler and the visual design, but if they're lower quality then I'll keep looking

Short version - They seem really great other than my bad luck. Give one a try from somewhere with easy returns.

Long version -
Hard to say if it was a bad batch, but seems likely. It went out and in of stock multiple times while they dealt with card one (AKA The Rattler) so I assumed that the replacement would be a new batch and fine. Sadly, card two (AKA Screaming Whiner) was similarly hosed. Both were middle fan, acoustic issues, so I'm guessing a bad batch.
Just because they went OOS at the retailer, doesn't mean it's not from the same pallet/container at the distributor I guess, so bad batch looks like the reason.

There isn't really any bad press/posts/etc about them having issues. Personally, other than the obvious fuckups I had I think they are really, really nice cards. Solidly built, nicely styled, and if I switched off the bad fan, quiet as gently caress. Even with just the side fans they were had very low temp. I can't remember the numbers, but they were performing incredibly well. I didn't want to run them forever with just 2 fans though, and it'd lower resale value, but I did actually consider it for a wee while.

I considered trying a third one, but as I mentioned somewhere here I think, I'd saved a few hundred quid and decided to go "baws-deep" and get a 4090.
If there was a ProArt 4090, I'd probably even try it tbh. And whatever 4090 I do get, I'll always be disappointed that it isn't my true first love the ProArt 4080 Super.
-ninja edit-
Haha, that's right, I just remembered, I was so enamored and disappointed by card two that I thought ":love:maybe I can fix it:love:". I considered just taking off the shroud and re-seating the fans. Then considered doing an actual de-shroud (this one is popular with the SFF crew so fan adapters are readily available). Then I recognized signs of hypo-mania and calmed down a bit. Calming down now means a 4090, so take that as you will.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 30, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I have a Pro Art 4070 ti and haven’t had these issues and ASUS uses the same cooler for the 4080 and Super cards

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SlowBloke posted:

Today's techmoan has two surprises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unfJahrvtuU

One in the middle and one in the end.

who puts a pic of their dead cat in the thumbnail :mad:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lol, it is a pretty hosed looking cat. The fact that he's considering it's scaredyness and wearing headphones is quite :3:

-update-
Well, after my run of bad luck with the 4080s I finally got some good luck.
Gainward Phantom 4090. Quiet as gently caress even under load. No weird fan resonances or rattles. No coil whine.

Going to see about reducing the power use a bit though or my electric bill give me a heart attack.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 3, 2024

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Any downside to picking up a ZOTAC branded GPU? Looking at the 4080 supers. They are running $200 cheaper then the Gigabytes, MSI's, etc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have a Zotac 4070ti and it’s been perfectly fine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Weren't Zotac slightly louder? That may have been the 3000 series I don't remember.

Otherwise it's kinda hard to screw up NVidia cards these days.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

diapermeat posted:

Any downside to picking up a ZOTAC branded GPU? Looking at the 4080 supers. They are running $200 cheaper then the Gigabytes, MSI's, etc.
they don't seem to have a terrible rep these days, and their designs are pretty nice

tpu is great for a quick comparison between performances: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/zotac-geforce-rtx-4080-super-amp-extreme/39.html

i can't for the life of me make sense of their naming, but that's for one of their models

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

njsykora posted:

I have a Zotac 4070ti and it’s been perfectly fine.

I've had 2 in the past (1070 & 2070 Super), both were the small dual fan models but never had any issues. Solid little cards & great if you don't want a massive 3-fan behemoth.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

diapermeat posted:

I just built (like 10 minutes ago) a new PC with a Zotac 4080 Super Trinity Black and it was whisper quiet running Furmark under full load. Stupid naming convention aside, it seems well built and pulls its weight well. Managed to fit it into a Lian Li A4-H2O with room to spare.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I've had 2 in the past (1070 & 2070 Super), both were the small dual fan models but never had any issues. Solid little cards & great if you don't want a massive 3-fan behemoth.

Yeah my Zotac 1070 Mini is still in daily use and works just fine. Completely anecdotal of course but it's not like anyone is going to have actual stats.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I see the George Hotz saga is still going along where he crossposted his rambling open letter to amd from reddit onto linkedin where he got lightly roasted in the comments.

My fav:

It's hilarious to me this guy thinks that AMD (or any company) should jump to it and provide him with support when he's trying to undercut their datacenter gpu business with repurposed consumer grade hardware. What a friggin dingus.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm lolling at the concept of ML engineers at mckinsey

(yes, i know they do IT delivery work these days)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I mean ML engineers working in finance isn't crazy, the entire insurance world runs on consultants who build models for companies whose internal actuaries are busy prepping management summaries about models for their bosses

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
ML Engineers have worked at Mckinsey for decades.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lockback posted:

ML Engineers have worked at Mckinsey for decades.

How much ML does it take to say that you should fire your employees and replace them with lower cost outsourced labor?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
better fsr3; dlss got a new, improved E profile with 3.7, and xess also got an upgrade with 1.3, good times. and that's on top of directsr

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1776023671347564547

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lol @ "Ultra Quality Plus"

XeSS was already slow, and it seems like this update made it slightly slower yet. So their solution? Just rename the presets so quality mode is now what balanced used to be, and so on. And now they get to advertise these sweet, sweet performance gains!

Maybe they improved image quality enough so each mode actually looks the same in 1.3 as their respective higher-res modes in 1.2, but this is still really funny.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the main competition appears to be in who can confuse gamers as much as humanly possible with their settings and naming

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
My first reaction was to think it's an idiotic move, but thinking about it more - Intel isn't in position to compete with Nvidia yet. They need to compete with AMD, and it's feasible especially with improvements that XeSS could still produce better IQ at the same performance level as FSR with these new BS names.

I I think muddying the waters where there is a fairly clear standard for what various sampling rates mean is not a good thing, but this might not be the worst strategic decision for Intel. Beating or tying with AMD with Battlemage, at least in some arguable sense, would be a big deal.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I wasn't going to go for Ultra Quality but Ultra Quality Plus sounds like my speed, I don't know if I can afford Ultra Quality Plus Xtreme though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not that I'm defending the behavior, but that's a great distillation of the issue of naming being arbitrary as it relates to, say, the "80" tier of GPUs across multiple generations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Seems like they are very much aping Nvidia's "vague but looks good I guess" graphs and PR bullshit lol.
They all do it I guess, but that ones do really remind me of the stuff the GN Steve always complains about (rightly)

I just hope that they, as well as AMD just keep at it. Nvidia has a big head start but it'd be great for some competition. Can't believe I'm rooting for the scrappy little upstart that is Intel. Feels gross tbh. I can imagine them passing AMD with this part of the equation at least. I think that would make Nvidia pay attention more than if it was AMD.

I did the under-volt (and memory overclock too iirc) thing on my 4090 yesterday and what a difference it makes. Can't remember the exact figures, but it knocked over 100W off of the peak power use. Admittedly an naturally high load of Furmark, but still good. Also a few degrees cooler, and slower fans.
Oh, and benchmarks were about 2-3% different, sometimes higher sometimes lower. Only took a few minutes to do as well, really easy to do. Highly recommended.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Any good guides out there for undervolting? Never quite got it working in afterburner.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

AEMINAL posted:

Any good guides out there for undervolting? Never quite got it working in afterburner.

I followed this one. It was shorter than a lot of the others that showed up (though it could be shorter still) I usually prefer written guides, but a video helped me more with this.

-e-
Actually, I maybe followed his other 4070Ti one, but the principle is the same on all 40 series. I guess he's just making more vids for more clicks.
Had a chuckle at his name for some reason, "ImWateringPSUs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3OSYzIUkw

Here's another one that explains a bit more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPR06CxysMw

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 5, 2024

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hoooold up a second.

Lisa Su and Jensen Huang are cousins?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Neither one knew until a couple years ago but yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Neither one knew until a couple years ago but yep.

This seems like fan fiction for an Nvidia/AMD merger but in 2024 I’ll believe it