Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Gripweed posted:

Does Night of the Living Dead count, or by "Hollywood" are you explicitly ruling out indies?

Naah this fits. By Hollywood I meant US (or European actually) productions that would have been viewed on US screens.

Because presumably Nollywood films shown in Nigeria were more likely to have had a black protagonist earlier on. And Bollywood films shown in India presumably had mostly South Asian protagonists since that start. And I don't just mean 'minority' as in non-white.

Although... if anyone knows the first time that a Maori starred in a Bollywood production or a Japanese woman in a Nigerian one that would also probs be pretty interesting but I'm not crossing my fingers on anyone knowing stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The Black character’s race is definitely a big factor in Night of the Living Dead.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It definitely adds a lot of subtext, but Romero said several times the script wasn't specifically written for a black man and he was cast because he was simply the best actor who auditioned.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, I just don’t believe that. Obviously that’s possible and even likely about the script, but I din’t think the final film was a serendipitous accident the way he claims.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Shaft was just a very good detective/sex machine, Richard Roundtree's race was irrelevant

When was the last time you've seen Shaft. There's a whole potential race war black power angle going on underneath the kidnapping case.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

When was the last time you've seen Shaft. There's a whole potential race war black power angle going on underneath the kidnapping case.

I mean I thought that was a pretty obvious joke. Not a funny one, but an obvious one. He's the Black Private Dick that's a Sex Machine to all the Chicks!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edit: beaten, n/m

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Never got into Shaft. Just feels like they could have followed me around for a week and made the same movie. The reason I turn on a film in the first place is to get away from all the sexy ladies lungibg themselves at me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Baron von Eevl posted:

It definitely adds a lot of subtext, but Romero said several times the script wasn't specifically written for a black man and he was cast because he was simply the best actor who auditioned.

This is only half the story though because yes, Ben wasn’t initially written as a black man, but when Duane Jones was cast Romero edited the script fairly significantly to accommodate Jones’ performance. The initial version of ben as written was a much more thuggish and threatening character, compared to Jones’ severe but practical performance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I've always seen it simply as Romero didn't intend to cast a black man in the role but once he did he was a smart guy who knew what he was doing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think that in the original script Ben was a stubborn and confrontational yokel truck driver.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Baron von Eevl posted:

He said that kinda poo poo alot. Like Dawn of the Dead oh it's about consumerism, huh that's the first I heard of that didnt mean it, just thought about malls and zombies

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I mean it's not a film about consumerism it's a film about zombies but it makes a number of digs at consumerist culture using the metaphor of zombies as rampant consumers even if that metaphor isn't held throughout.

Whether the idea for having it set in a mall and the ending scene being what it is came up as the original premise or these were decisions made afterwards is something I don't know but maybe had been revealed somewhere.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 30, 2024

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bright Bart posted:

I mean it's not a film about consumerism it's a film about zombies but it makes a number of digs at consumerist culture using the metaphor of zombies as rampant consumers even if that metaphor isn't held throughout.

Whether the idea for having it set in a mall and the ending scene being what it is came up as the original premise or these were decisions made afterwards is something I don't know but maybe had been revealed somewhere.

The zombies don't represent consumers; they represent abject lepers, babies/toddlers, and the devout (see the prominent 'Hare Krishna' and Catholic nun zombies). These zombies are actually fairly easily to satiate, requiring 'only' a small amount of human flesh to be rendered permanently docile. They literally want for nothing else.

It's the human protagonists who sort-of represent consumers, insofar as they become fixated on collecting luxury goods like TVs and stuff, but capitalism is already over when the film begins. The focus is squarely on their spiritual emptiness (which leads them to mistreat the poor, contemplate abortion (in Fran's case), and otherwise stray from the spiritual traditions of their ancestors).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's both. The zombies are a commentary on consumerism on a pretty basic level. When stripped of all higher thought and reduced to basically a flesh automata operating on the most basic instinct, what do they do? Go to the mall. But at the same time they also represent the threat to the order that the survivors create inside the mall. That's where the real commentary on consumerism is in the movie. Once the survivors have secured the mall they have literally endless consumer goods and endless time to enjoy them, and what happens? They instantly start to go insane.

The hare krishna zombie is because that's funny.

The zombies as a threat to middle class order don't map 1 to 1 on any real group, but they don't have to, because middle class fear of the outsider is incoherent to the middle class themselves. Mindless hordes coming for them. It very similar to how the Them in Us are somewhat incoherent on their own; they only exist as representation of middle class in fear.

Actually, that's a very good point I just made. Us is a remake of Dawn of the Dead. Boom, beat SMG to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"The mall is full of mindless fucks." - Demonius X

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Idea
Short film about someone working in a store in the mall during the zombie apocalypse and they don't even notice a difference.

Everyone else is freaking out and/or a flesh eating ghoul but the main characters act like they're in Clerks and never realize something is different than usual because it barely is.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Idea
Short film about someone working in a store in the mall during the zombie apocalypse and they don't even notice a difference.

Everyone else is freaking out and/or a flesh eating ghoul but the main characters act like they're in Clerks and never realize something is different than usual because it barely is.

This happens in Shaun of the Dead for a while, from what I recall.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Idea

I just rewatched Gusti the Strong and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time (if not more). It's hilarious.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

It's both. The zombies are a commentary on consumerism on a pretty basic level. When stripped of all higher thought and reduced to basically a flesh automata operating on the most basic instinct, what do they do? Go to the mall. But at the same time they also represent the threat to the order that the survivors create inside the mall. That's where the real commentary on consumerism is in the movie.

“Being in a mall” is not what consumerism is.

The zombies not only don’t consume anything (like, not even metaphorically; there’s surprisingly little consumption of flesh after they reach the mall), but they can also be found in a variety of other locations such as airports and apartment buildings. When the character Stephen is bitten and zombified, he’s immediately compelled to head out of the mall proper, and into what’s effectively his condo.

While Stephen theorized that this pilgrimage to the mall was based on “some kind of instinct - memory of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives”, the irony is that the mall is not important to the zombies because of the clothes or TVs. The zombies are drawn to places where they expect human people to be, so that those humans can be bitten and converted. As a result of this compulsion to be near people, they have - however unintentionally - repurposed the mall to serve as a communal space.

This is why zombie Stephen is not satisfied with the mall, instead immediately departing to reunite with his friends and family. Stephen was wrong about what was important to the zombies, and wrong in general.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You say the zombies don’t consume, yet in the next paragraph you say they go to where they expect people will be. I disagree with the idea that the zombies at that point in the Living Dead series “expect” anything, I would argue that the evidence supports the character’s statement that the zombies are simply repeating the familiar. And the idea that even when you are dead you still go to the mall is a joke about consumerism. Regardless of whether or not you actually engage in commerce when you get there.

But accepting your premise for the purpose of discussion, why do the zombies go to where people are? To [i]consume[i] them. It’s literally their main thing.

It’s been awhile since I saw the movie but I don’t remember zombie Stephen reuniting with his friends and family at the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While I think there are meant to be riffs on consumerism in the movie, it gets overblown because literal zombies milling about a mall is just enough Symbolism 101 for people to latch onto and feel smart.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

I just rewatched Gusti the Strong and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time (if not more). It's hilarious.

Thanks a million. Literally couldn't have done it without you.

I'm really happy how well it's being received.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched more than half of Frontier.

The basic idea is that this is an adaptation of a classic novel from a country that doesn't exist. All the characters speak a made up central European language, there are references to a revolution, etc. I will give them points for actually getting the shape of a classic novel right. Two soldiers are sent to the nebulous "frontier" where they immediately go insane. The senior soldier declares himself to be in charge of this empty region of forest, the younger one starts to treat the forest like a woman he wants to gently caress. I can see this being some European novel with lots of political relevance to a country I don't know anything about.

But in reality, this is an incredibly low budget movie where two guys walk around what is very clearly central Texas speaking fake German.

I did enjoy the scenery. I was teleported back to camping trips of my youth. Central Texas is a lovely place and basically no movies use it. Honestly that's probably what got me so far into the movie before I checked the runtime, saw I had half an hour left, and decided I'd gotten basically all I was going to get out of it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The main thesis of Dawn of the Dead is that the material comforts of the developed world only appear to offer security from the chaos.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Help, I’ve fallen into a Kenny Rogers Western Tubi-hole.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The main thesis of Dawn of the Dead is that the material comforts of the developed world only appear to offer security from the chaos.

drat, that aged all too well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t think there are many pop stars today that could star in five two part movies based on one of their hit songs over the course of fourteen years. A lot of great character actors too.

I’m gonna have to watch MacShayne now that I’ve finished them.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t think there are many pop stars today that could star in five two part movies based on one of their hit songs over the course of fourteen years. A lot of great character actors too.

I’m gonna have to watch MacShayne now that I’ve finished them.
:hmmyes:

Also I did not know there were more than two Gambler movies and you're telling me they're all on Tubi??? Incredible fortune :clint:

When I was a kid I would watch reruns of the The Real West documentary series he hosted, and Wikipedia says that show was the reason the History Channel got made

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_West

quote:

The Real West is an American historical documentary television series hosted by Kenny Rogers which first aired on A&E cable television from 1992 to 1995. One of A&E's highest-rated[1] series, it prompted parent company A+E Networks to create The History Channel to show reruns of The Real West and other new original programming, primarily documentaries.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The secret is to die in your sleep

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

But accepting your premise for the purpose of discussion, why do the zombies go to where people are? To consume them. It’s literally their main thing.

That’s not what consumerism is either.

Consumerism, at least in this context, is an ideology where it’s asserted that political power belongs to those who purchase the goods and services. Like, the concept of ‘vote with your wallet’ taken to an illogical extreme.

True believers in consumerism insist that it’s not actually the capitalist class who should (or that do) hold the power in a capitalist society; those who control the means of production are ostensibly at the mercy of those who pay for the goods and services produced.

We see this in practice with, say, people bitching on the internet about Disney movies - directing complaints at the corporation via Twitter or whatever. Elon Musk’s recent “tell it to Earth” meltdown was, fundamentally, consumerist. (And, despite his complexion, Elon Musk is not a zombie - not even metaphorically.) For us to have a satire of consumerism, you need the two sides of the transaction: those who buy, and the entities they buy from. You need to examine that power relationship, and how it can be misperceived.

If the zombies are consumers, the characters trying to supply their demand are the one-legged priest and the one-eyed scientist (who observe that the zombies can be pacified with small quantities of meat). So, do they represent corporations? You gotta show your work here.

Now, again, Dawn Of The Dead does vaguely qualify as a satire of consumerism because the protagonist characters are presented as unable to escape capitalist ideology even after capitalism has collapsed. It’s a recurring joke, along the same lines of them grabbing handfuls of worthless money ‘just in case’. The simple, basic irony of Stephen’s theory that the zombies are driven by a “memory of what they used to do” is that he’s actually talking about himself.

But the movie is also not really about consumerism, because nothing actually is being bought from anyone. Nothing is being bought at all, making the protagonists more like hunter-gatherers influenced by the artifacts of a dead society (see the curious scene in the gun shop). Cargo culting.

So another irony here is that you yourself have been mystified by the mall setting. Without the network of socio-economic relationships, a mall is just a large indoor space. Like a colourful barn.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 31, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My eyes are clear and my mind unclouded. I can now understand why Robin Williams fails as an actor. He never acts, he performs. He cannot exist inside the world of the film, there must be an implied audience with which to view his work.

There are none else who come to mind but there must be others alike, I assume I'll also dislike these

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
He seems like a fine actor to me. Liked him in Insomnia.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That was the film I've just seen that has revealed this all to me. He's never talking to Pacino, he's always talking to the audience

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t think there are many pop stars today that could star in five two part movies based on one of their hit songs over the course of fourteen years.

I need the Lady Gaga Pokerface Cinematic Universe stat.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

My eyes are clear and my mind unclouded. I can now understand why Robin Williams fails as an actor. He never acts, he performs. He cannot exist inside the world of the film, there must be an implied audience with which to view his work.

There are none else who come to mind but there must be others alike, I assume I'll also dislike these

Counterpoint: Popeye

Less flippant, really love Robin in Birdcage, What Dreams May Come, Jumanji, Toys, Death to Smoochy, and the aforementioned Popeye. Will admit a big ol' soft spot for the guy, but even if he wasn't a great actor, cant' think of a picture I was disappointed to see him show up in. Or one that he seemed to half-assing it through. It's that particular brand of celebrity character that's too famous to be a character actor but elicits the same response.

Fred Armisen is kind of a paragon of that ethos - he plays characters in a range, but he nails it just enough where I'm always happy to see him in the odd role even if it is a 30 second cameo.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 31, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaius Marius posted:

:gas:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

You’ve got to know when to walk away, and when to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

This is some Good Will Hunting and Dead Poet's Society erasure.