Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'm not thrilled about this but I'll need to street park my bike in Boston for at least the summer.

What's a good GPS tracker that'll alert me and find it when it gets stolen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I use invoxia, but it's a bit expensive. I sometimes wonder if theft insurance would be a better route. do I even want the bike back after thieves have been at it?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

RadioPassive posted:

I'm not thrilled about this but I'll need to street park my bike in Boston for at least the summer.

What's a good GPS tracker that'll alert me and find it when it gets stolen?

I use a Monimoto. It worked as intended, calling my cell and activating tracking when I tested it.

It's combined with a brake lock, a few airtags and an Oxford Beast chain lock (after thieves got through a Kryptonite NY Fuhgettaboutit lock).

Ugly up your bike cover too. Smear something on it that could be mistaken for poop for maximum deterence.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MSPain posted:

I use invoxia, but it's a bit expensive. I sometimes wonder if theft insurance would be a better route. do I even want the bike back after thieves have been at it?

That’s always been my thought. Jist get good insurance and then get a new bike.

You don’t want it back after it gets joyridden around the city and gone after with a screwdriver

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have some super basic questions about electrical systems.

On the right, the charging circuit says after the reg/rec it goes from the A terminal of the 30A fuse to the +ve battery terminal.

On the left, the starting circuit says the A terminal of the 30A fuse goes first to the post on the starter, then to the +ve battery terminal.

I don’t have access to the bike right now, but when I see differences like this, is it usually just shorthand for diagram (in)convenience? Or are there really two wires on the A terminal of the 30A fuse (one to the starter, one to the battery). If not, isn’t the starter part of the charging circuit, and if so, why wouldn’t they show that in the charging circuit diagram?

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 14, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The short answer is those are bullshit pseudo diagrams with no consistency. The wires going to the starter and to the battery are joined somewhere, usually the ring terminals overlap at the battery post or the fuse holder has two terminals that are being represented as one terminal there. Being a sportster iirc they are two overlapping ring terminals on the starter itself.

They're all part of the same system/circuit physically, they're just arbitrarily split up for supposed ease of use or something. I have no idea why they represented the starter on the charging system diagram, but they are physically connected irl, although you never use the starter while the charging system is doing anything, by definition.

Is this a Haynes manual or something? The Harley online manual diagrams don't look like that.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Is this a Haynes manual or something? The Harley online manual diagrams don't look like that.

It's a photo from my actual '05 Sportster FSM.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ffs Harley, that's absolutely dire

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I see where you’re confused, that’s not actually an electrical diagram, that’s a map to the dealership.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 15, 2024

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
How are you all selling your bikes these days? I mentioned putting my old bike on Craigslist to my mechanic, and he said everyone uses Facebook Marketplace or Cycle Trader now

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

How are you all selling your bikes these days? I mentioned putting my old bike on Craigslist to my mechanic, and he said everyone uses Facebook Marketplace or Cycle Trader now

Marketplace is it sadly. Craigslist is d e a d.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

The last three bikes I've bought have all been through Facebook marketplace. The one before that I found in the local paper

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
In Canada, or at least Ontario, both Kijiji and Marketplace are active. Marketplace has more squids and boomers who know what they got.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
FB's lower barrier to entry can work in your favor as a buyer. When I bought on FB, I looked for listings that had been there a while, several weeks. I found one that didn't optimize its title and didn't rank high in searches. The owner had dropped the list price a few times, so I was able to buy my current bike quite a bit cheaper than it would be anywhere else. Keep an eye out for misspelled and mislabeled bikes. Sometimes it's an earnest seller who is not good with computer.

Selling is more annoying. You get a fair number of lowballers, but if you hold out you can find someone who can meet you somewhere reasonable. Write a good title, tag your big correctly, and take some decent photos and you'll outdo more than half the sellers there. On craigslist, I barely got any responses at all. Seems pretty dead there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My last private sale bike was Marketplace for sure. Anecdotally, Kijiji around my area is a lot of Marketplace crossposts so Marketplace is my go-to now, but I still check both when I'm looking for something. Craigs definitely donezo around here.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Ugh now I remember why I hadn't checked Craigslist or anything in so long. I want to buy so many of these dumb bikes on Marketplace.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hi, I need a new radiator cap. It is Suzuki p/n 17730-08J00. This does not exist for purchase in Canada, from what I can find. Lead/shipping times for the US are inconveniently long. Can I use whatever generic brand Fortnine (Moose) or Amazon (CULMKARI) sells? And if so, what pressure do I need to get? I can't find what the OEM cap rating is (possibly 16psi/1.1 bar, but my only options for the fortnine one seem to be much higher than that - 1.6+ bar).

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 19, 2024

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I mean, how can I argue with this?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
eBay? https://www.ebay.com/itm/386477648664

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That's not an OE part, the "for" in the title is a dead giveaway.

e: also it ships from China lol

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
1.1bar is the OEM:

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/17730-08J00

I can't speak to the pressure difference in what's available to you locally/quickly, but I'm not one to be picky about OEM for something like a radiator cap.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

1.1bar is the OEM:

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/17730-08J00

I can't speak to the pressure difference in what's available to you locally/quickly, but I'm not one to be picky about OEM for something like a radiator cap.

Thanks. I'm just going to order the generic one off Amazon. It should hold fine, then I might order an OEM one to have as a backup. The reason I preferred OEM is I don't know the provenance of the one that's on there now, and it's the source of my problem.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Hi, I need a new radiator cap. It is Suzuki p/n 17730-08J00. This does not exist for purchase in Canada, from what I can find. Lead/shipping times for the US are inconveniently long. Can I use whatever generic brand Fortnine (Moose) or Amazon (CULMKARI) sells? And if so, what pressure do I need to get? I can't find what the OEM cap rating is (possibly 16psi/1.1 bar, but my only options for the fortnine one seem to be much higher than that - 1.6+ bar).

Goddamn, really? Going by Partzilla it's a really commonly used part, I'm surprised your Suz dealer can't get one. Have a visit and pocket one off the floor V-Strom/Busa/Gixxer if they won't sell it to you. (bad idea don't actually do that)

(could be worth seeing if there's a bike wrecker around or a mechanic who had to throw out a rad who might have a used one, too.)

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 20, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's a few spots of rust I'm finding on my frames here and there as I do various things on various bikes. Where I can, I've been taking a scouring pad as best I can and dabbing on some krylon with a brush. Some of the rust I can see under plastic and behind wiring where I would need to actually do a fair amount of work to strip the bike to resolve.

Is there anything I can spray on or apply to just .. i don't know .. neutralize? ... treat? ... the small rust spots to at least inhibit them I mean the other option is "ignore it and do nothing" which is effectively what I've been doing for now, but it's kind of nagging at me.

I don't think they're critical or anything, it's just paint that flecked away and the underlying steel is rusting like steel does. I always just hate seeing it on an otherwise nice looking bike.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 21, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can get rust converter in both spray and brush on form, it turns the rust into stuff you can sand or paint straight over

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK killer, so the gameplan can just be to get it in some spray and kind of burp it in the inaccessible spots and call it a day?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My inclination is more towards using a long thin paint brush from the art shop or something cause it's more controlled and tidy but idk depends on what inaccessible is

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think that works too. Nothing is so inaccessible that I can't really reach in there, I just can't (ahem .. don't want to) tear out wiring harnesses or plastics on working bikes to actually scour to metal, and wasn't sure about just painting actual krylon over untreated rust.

Thanks!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Definitely still paint over the converted rust, though. The surface the converter leaves behind can re-rust if it's left open. Source: me, cause I did that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've been thinking mounting a small red LED strip to the back of my luggage rack and wiring it to my brake/tail light, because I'm worried about it's visibility being obscured to people in tall vehicles. Should be pretty straightforward to just wire one in parallel, right? No blinking, so it shouldn't need anything special as far as resistors, I'm thinking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As long as it's designed for 12v you should be able to just hook it up in parallel, yep.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Be sure to fuse it or put it on an existing, fused circuit. If option 2, you might need to resize the fuse

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
A taller tail light? Maybe bosozoku had the right idea after all.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
I picked up a used drz the other day and managed to almost immediately flood it with gas. I’m assuming because I didn’t have the manual petcock lined up right after I parked it. I was planning on changing the oil since it smells like gas now and getting a new air filter since that got soaked. Is there anything in the carb that I should look at? Anything somewhere else?

I hope that being a bit more careful turning the petcock off will prevent this from happening again because man, what a pain.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Float valve. Those can leak and fill the crankcase with fuel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah leaving the tap on by itself shouldn't immediately cause that, it's likely got a tired or sticky float valve

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Edit, wrong thread

Supradog fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 29, 2024

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Float valve. Those can leak and fill the crankcase with fuel.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah leaving the tap on by itself shouldn't immediately cause that, it's likely got a tired or sticky float valve

Ok that makes sense. Time to learn how to take apart a carburetor.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

hit the bricks pal! posted:

Time to learn how to take apart a carburetor.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly except that you swear in different places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Make sure to take apart all your carburetors at the same time so you can clean them together for maximum efficiency.