Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/daveoshry/status/1773938252522660096

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Piell posted:

Honestly just skip Steel Veterans nothing in it is very good

There's nothing more undemocratic than talking poo poo about the Senator.
https://i.imgur.com/zeu98aU.mp4

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe the guy getting exploded by the Quasar was standing next to mine or exploding plant. there is some backlash

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

It's because Planetary Defense missions are terrible so people don't bother, honestly they should probably just drop that aspect and only have planets be a binary state of either being occupied or liberated

Defense missions vs bots are the *worst.* I did one last night and by the time we extracted we counted 8 tanks, 10 hulks, and a million of everything else. The game does not stagger the waves, it's "kill 500 robots, and we're dropping all 500 of them simultaneously, gently caress you." My friend group's strategy for that bullshit was "everyone bring a shield dome and the 120/380 barrage. Everyone gets a turn, wait this poo poo out."

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Is there any indication when the new warbond is going to drop? I'm coming up on 1K SC and want to know if I should hold it or go for Steel Veterans (already have Cutting Edge)

Updates are the second Thursday of each month, but we're not sure what this is going to be in this next one. People can only speculate based on what models are in the game files.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BitBasher posted:

Updates are the second Thursday of each month, but we're not sure what this is going to be in this next one. People can only speculate based on what models are in the game files.

Leaked info is that the next Warbond is called "Democratic Detonation" so I'd guess the explosive crossbow and single-shot grenade pistol are likely at least

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Horace Kinch posted:

Defense missions vs bots are the *worst.* I did one last night and by the time we extracted we counted 8 tanks, 10 hulks, and a million of everything else. The game does not stagger the waves, it's "kill 500 robots, and we're dropping all 500 of them simultaneously, gently caress you." My friend group's strategy for that bullshit was "everyone bring a shield dome and the 120/380 barrage. Everyone gets a turn, wait this poo poo out."

Every time I do one people bring both mortars and maybe the auto cannon sentry plus a rocket launcher to shoot down dropships and they go pretty smooth. I like that strategy too though.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Piell posted:

Leaked info is that the next Warbond is called "Democratic Detonation" so I'd guess the explosive crossbow and single-shot grenade pistol are likely at least

Yeah based on leaks it's almost certainly the grenade pistol, the explosive crossbow, a single shot explosive rifle, and a medium pen a battle rifle.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Horace Kinch posted:

The 15 minute civilian extraction missions against bots on higher difficulties is absurd. It's hard enough keeping up with the flood of bots without protecting a bunch of squishy goobers from the bots and stratagems.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Had my first rear end in a top hat group last night, which is honestly a pretty good ratio. I drop in and they're down to their last few reinforcements. I call in my Quasar/shield and join up with them. We were crossing an outpost they already cleared (so no enemies) and one of the guys just turns, kills me, and immediately takes my equipment. Then they just left me dead while they ran around. I literally had just joined and hadn't fired a shot yet so it's not like I did anything that could have pissed them off.

Now if they were "smart" and just wanted free equipment they probably should've fragged then kicked me but I guess they thought I'd leave on my own? Lol nope. I waited patiently until one of them died so they'd have to cycle through and burn a reinforcement on me, killed the dude that stole my poo poo, then ran it into the biggest group of bots I could find so they wouldn't have it. They were down to 0 reinforcements when they finally booted me so I'm pretty sure they failed.

Good and gently caress you. It did make me realize how good the community is overall though. I've had plenty of bad groups but this is the only one that was maliciously bad, the rest are always a mixture of incompetence and bad luck.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Every time I do one people bring both mortars and maybe the auto cannon sentry plus a rocket launcher to shoot down dropships and they go pretty smooth. I like that strategy too though.

Yeah this is the way. EMS/regular mortar x4 in the most secluded spot you can put them, orbital lasers, and then whatever else you want that helps you keep the bots away from your mortars. I actually like the new HMG with stun grenades on those too, if a hulk gets up in your face you can stun/delete it without any collateral damage risk.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 30, 2024

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I joined a game with two people sitting on the extraction point and I heard one of them say "Wait until they call in their stuff then kick them" so I killed them both. I should've tried to pick up their samples and jumped into water before they kicked me. Why they would say that when I could hear it I don't know.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Last night's automaton defend mission went okay until they started dropping directly on top of us nonstop. And then it snowballed. And then the game crashed. Fun!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I felt bad, I was leading a team towards extract on Bot 6 Draupnir. We were running low on reinforcements but the team really wanted to clear out the bases along the way.

We clear all of them except the last one, then a Scorcher Hulk charges me. I dodge it and run towards the base. Out of the fog looms a laser cannon turret.

My mind flashes back to that scene in Glory where Matthew Broderick and the 54th charge directly into a battery of cannons loaded with grapeshot.

We are all brutally murdered and do not defeat the cannon. The Hulk completes the pincer movement and eliminates all of our reinforcements. My last reinforce I am thrown out of bounds and then branded a traitor to add insult to injury. The final Helldiver tries to sprint away from the cannon with the Hulk on his heels and a single laser blast neatly decapitates him.

Mission Success. 0/4 Extracted

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

that's some master move in marketing

speaking of, this thread moves too quickly for me to thank the poster proper, but thanks to whoever posted a quick guide on how to farm super credits. Found myself a good map and watched Starship Troopers for the first time since I was like ten while super crediting on auto. I am now ready for democracy.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Horace Kinch posted:

EM mortars and regular mortars are your friend, if you get overrun become a traitor and bring the 380mm rain

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

hard to do that when I turn around after killing one and the 4 more snuck up behind me and then proceed to melt me

So awful.

lol

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
2x EMS mortars will basically lock down any of the tiny defense/terminate maps. I did a bug one last night where we had 2x EMS mortar and 2x mechs and basically just parked a mech on each side of the compound and just spawn camped the breaches as they exited into an immediate mortar stun cloud.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

"Look Familiar?"

:smug:

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Amazing Member posted:

"Look Familiar?"

:smug:

Only he can be so loving smug and get away with it. :swoon:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

Honestly just skip Steel Veterans nothing in it is very good

incendiary grenades are pretty great for bugs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

draupnir is lost but if we go all in on ubanea we can liberate it before it gets cut off

removing the narrative what's my incentive. what do i get out of it. gimme some cool toys and i'll do some liberating,

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope they add an AC-130 stratagem. Make it work like the one from Generals, where you have to paint targets for it, that'd keep it functionally different from the laser strike. Could even have some sort of interaction with enemy AA units?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Mordja posted:

I hope they add an AC-130 stratagem. Make it work like the one from Generals, where you have to paint targets for it, that'd keep it functionally different from the laser strike. Could even have some sort of interaction with enemy AA units?

It would be sick if we had aircraft/spacecraft so we could do our own strafing runs.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Sokani posted:

Helldivers now banned in China.

gently caress this is perfect.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Are the PC and PS5 mechanics really different? I tried PC for the first time and I couldn't run with the map overlaid, seemed like the only way to go prone was to dive, since I couldn't do it with crouch.

Also I'm sure people have already complained about this but I wish there was some way to not have beginning-ish players in Challenge+ without gating it somehow. We had a 4 squad with a level 12 player and while he didn't do anything dumb like throw grenades at my feet, halfway to the extraction point I told the team we had missed a bug hole on the otherside of the map (they were half way from it, but I was closer) so 2 of the players went back to help me. I eventually died to a charger and the guy ends up throwing a reinforcement strategem... at the extraction point. The whole time the rest of the team was trying to rid the last bug hole he instead went to the extraction point to wait for us and then reinforced me and made me go all the way back while he just waited there the 5 minutes or so it took for us to fight our way over and back. I dunno maybe not a newbie-ish thing since its not like he called for extraction but kinda makes the map more difficult to run

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

Are the PC and PS5 mechanics really different? I tried PC for the first time and I couldn't run with the map overlaid, seemed like the only way to go prone was to dive, since I couldn't do it with crouch.

You can run and open the map, but if you have Sprint as Hold then the resultant Shift + Tab by default is Steam's overlay command. And 'Z' is prone, separate from crouch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can run with the map open by changing sprint to a toggle instead of press & hold, and you can go prone by pressing Z.

IMO it sounds like the newbie who reinforced to extraction while the rest of the team was running to the opposite side of the map for a bug hole was the only one making smart decisions :shobon:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

causticBeet posted:

2x EMS mortars will basically lock down any of the tiny defense/terminate maps. I did a bug one last night where we had 2x EMS mortar and 2x mechs and basically just parked a mech on each side of the compound and just spawn camped the breaches as they exited into an immediate mortar stun cloud.

Okay now try this against bots on 7+

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

darnon posted:

You can run and open the map, but if you have Sprint as Hold then the resultant Shift + Tab by default is Steam's overlay command. And 'Z' is prone, separate from crouch.

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can run with the map open by changing sprint to a toggle instead of press & hold, and you can go prone by pressing Z.

IMO it sounds like the newbie who reinforced to extraction while the rest of the team was running to the opposite side of the map for a bug hole was the only one making smart decisions :shobon:
ah okay so it isn't the same off the bat. thanks!

also, can't let those bugs live. he was a coward :colbert:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All my bros have been playing this since release and I just got it last night. Did a few missions this morning and it's fun!

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
I don't have any bros and about 25% of my public games are toxic as gently caress. Back to deep rock galactic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve had one toxic game. And even then it wasn’t even that bad lol.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It’s certainly less toxic than any moba I’ve played, which is impressive given you can directly kill your teammates in this game

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Most people just laugh. However one someone fuckin dropped a 380 barrage during a ssd run and killed us all

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's really funny reading the galactic war channel on the official discord, people are so salty about the player base splitting and not all doing the most efficient way to complete the order. Don't think they realise that the vast majority of players aren't on Reddit or discord and are just playing whatever feels fun. Can't wait to see what happens when we've got 3 fronts and potentially multiple major orders at the same time.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

CelticPredator posted:

removing the narrative what's my incentive. what do i get out of it. gimme some cool toys and i'll do some liberating,

medals can be exchanged for goods and services

there's no saving this major order now though so don't worry about it, go have fun wherever

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dpulex posted:

I don't have any bros and about 25% of my public games are toxic as gently caress. Back to deep rock galactic.

Everyone who posts this type of comment is doing a bit, right?

ZearothK posted:

that's some master move in marketing

speaking of, this thread moves too quickly for me to thank the poster proper, but thanks to whoever posted a quick guide on how to farm super credits. Found myself a good map and watched Starship Troopers for the first time since I was like ten while super crediting on auto. I am now ready for democracy.

You're welcome! I also discovered that it's very easy to get back to your farming map (provided that you have not personally selected a new mission), by going to your ship and disconnecting, and reconnecting - it will take you back to your farm map. Just make sure that the galactic map on the table is zoomed out as far as it can go (I think). This is regardless of whether or not you have actual access to the planet, and it ignores what planet you are currently on. Once you reconnect it will bring up the map and you just warp to it.

Someday - and that day may never come - I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this farm strat as a gift on "half-way to liberty day".

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 30, 2024

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol, farming level 1s is boring but absolutely does work for getting Super Credits and normal samples- which is what I'm critically short of. I have like 200 rares and 20ish Super Samples and no regulars. I farmed up enough to start finally buying a bunch of ship modules, bought one of the warbonds for no $, and I'm halfway to the second warbond. I'm shocked they haven't removed Supercredits from anything like below a level 7. I've had level 1 missions get me 50 Super Credits per run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

explosivo posted:

Okay now try this against bots on 7+

It works fine? Probably heavily map dependent, though - if you get the one with the big hill/building at top it's more viable - park mortars up there and shield them as needed while people take turns plas cannoning dropships.