Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They really captured big tech corporate so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, oof.

One interesting thing about the oceans is that they require viral infections to work right - about 20% of all microbial life in Earth's oceans is killed by viruses every day, which frees up food for growth and helps rain carbon down into the deep sea for storage + climate regulation.

I wonder if GAIA re-infected the oceans.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
although part of me wonders if there is enough density of biomass to power horuses through the deep ocean or a desert, with the massive energy that must go into moving those things.Woudlnt they at least get very slowed down through more marginal lands like that, would be the oppurtunity to strike at them. Sure oceans have alot of biomass, but besides the shores the horus cant access the surface level biomass, and the deep sea biomass distribuition can be quite spotty across the ocean, and in many spots may be a net loss of energy having to vacuum detritus and microbes with nanobots where they arent as concentrated.
Similarly with bacteria, i think alot of them would make it, at least from the faro plague consumption. at some point when all the forests/grasslands and animals have been hovered up, the machines could very well starve before they can suck up all the microbes, with the diminishing returns of collecting the dispersed cells once the low-hanging fruit are gone.

But this is overthinking it, its a fine sci-fi scenario.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 29, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Falukorv posted:

although part of me wonders if there is enough density of biomass to power horuses through the deep ocean or a desert, with the massive energy that must go into moving those things.Woudlnt they at least get very slowed down through more marginal lands like that, would be the oppurtunity to strike at them. Sure oceans have alot of biomass, but besides the shores the horus cant access the surface level biomass, and the deep sea biomass distribuition can be quite spotty across the ocean.

That was the strategy of Operation Enduring Victory, which you can actually see in some of the Burning Shores vista points -- throw a bunch of sludge into the Pacific Ocean, then light it all on fire. Was only enough to slow them down, though.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

There was a datapoint in the first game about the rewilding process, and it all seems pretty deliberate, with small selections of key species getting introduced at first. And since we're still stuck at that early stage (without APOLLO-educated humans to manually bring back everything else), I doubt dangerous pests are around unless they were absolutely necessary.

There are also some organisms that they just didn't have the time to sequence and set up for cloning. There's a datapoints in HZD from one of the Zero Dawn guys who was working on sequencing the bird of paradise (not sure if it was the plant or the actual bird) who was so caught up in his work that he missed his boyfriend's voluntary suicide (instead of going to Elysium), and never managed to complete what he was working on in time anyway :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i wonder if i ought to stop the sidequesting and just beeline main story until i can fly

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ciaphas posted:

i wonder if i ought to stop the sidequesting and just beeline main story until i can fly

The flying is right at the end. The game is basically over by the time you get it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's right before the penultimate mission but since it's an open world you could in theory beeline the flying mount and then use it to do the bulk of side content

This will probably make the late main missions really hard though because they do expect you to stop along the way sometimes

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I hope that kid I left in the desert after discovering the game wanted me to kill a Thunderjaw and a Stormbird at the same time to save him is doing okay. I promise I'll be back, dude, just hang in there.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Martian Manfucker posted:

I hope that kid I left in the desert after discovering the game wanted me to kill a Thunderjaw and a Stormbird at the same time to save him is doing okay. I promise I'll be back, dude, just hang in there.

those miners stuck in a cave back in the daunt? eh, hopefully they won't starve or whatever, ill get back to them after im done rebuilding GAIA. maybe

i also left that carja dude in prison for like a month after completing every other step of the quest. full up just forgot about him lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the quest item in Runda's Rations fell through the level geometry, is there any way to reset this so i can actually finish the quest?

e: well at least the game has robust autosaving

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 29, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Olothreutes posted:

And also the valor surge that makes you invisible outright.

[desire to know more intensifies]

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Mad Hamish posted:

There are also some organisms that they just didn't have the time to sequence and set up for cloning. There's a datapoints in HZD from one of the Zero Dawn guys who was working on sequencing the bird of paradise (not sure if it was the plant or the actual bird) who was so caught up in his work that he missed his boyfriend's voluntary suicide (instead of going to Elysium), and never managed to complete what he was working on in time anyway :smith:

Realistically there would be tons of missed organisms, you just have to hope that you have time to preserve a representative sliver of global diversity. Aint enough availeble expert manhours in the world that can collect for example just the few hundred thousand species of beetles. Even in the best case scenario, the post dawn world would have a rather depauperate fauna and flora compared to our world.

Spoilers from a earlygame sidequest

I realised that if you encounter the Eclipse camp from Shadow in the West and complete it before picking up or finishing the preceding "Shadow of the past" quest from that prisoned soldier at Barren Light, he wont be at Barren Light afterwards.. Is he presumably executed without your intervention?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the quest item in Runda's Rations fell through the level geometry, is there any way to reset this so i can actually finish the quest?

reload a save, or fast travel away and back to the quest area and let the piggy sniff it up again.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 29, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Falukorv posted:

Realistically there would be tons of missed organisms, you just have to hope that you have time to preserve a representative sliver of global diversity. Aint enough expert manpower in the world that can take for example just the few hundred thousand species of beetles. Even in the best case scenario, the post dawn world would have a rather depauperate fauna and flora compared to our world.

also this is after the global warming cataclysm that elizabet and faro systems helped stave off so a lot of species were already just gone

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Falukorv posted:

reload a save, or fast travel away and back to the quest area and let the piggy sniff it up again.

fast traveling didn't work, so if anyone gets the same bug just save yourself some time and grief and reload

on an unrelated note: is there any way to make flying mounts steer to camera like land mounts do?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

Yeah it's right before the penultimate mission but since it's an open world you could in theory beeline the flying mount and then use it to do the bulk of side content

This will probably make the late main missions really hard though because they do expect you to stop along the way sometimes
where's the DLC content sit anyway, is it post-ending? If so I suppose I can justify holding off on getting flying going and just use it there (I'm about to head toward Landfall for the next main quest, for reference)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also, does anyone actually use overriding for anything other than getting a mount? for all the trouble some of these cauldrons are (Chi kicked my rear end up & down) it sure seems less than useful, even with points in the machine tree

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

where's the DLC content sit anyway, is it post-ending? If so I suppose I can justify holding off on getting flying going and just use it there (I'm about to head toward Landfall for the next main quest, for reference)

I don't remember if it directly builds on/spoils the base game ending but the story would probably feel best with the base plot concluded yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

It's post-ending.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I don't think it's even possible to do the dlc without finishing the base game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ciaphas posted:

also, does anyone actually use overriding for anything other than getting a mount? for all the trouble some of these cauldrons are (Chi kicked my rear end up & down) it sure seems less than useful, even with points in the machine tree

Machine Master is one of the strongest and most unique playstyles, but you have to kinda build for it. Essentially you override a fire or acid clawstrider and summon that as your permanent mobile nuke delivery platform. The raptor can also do some ridiculous damage in his own right and one-shot most small to medium machines in the game. It’s exceptionally strong against elites because your damage gets cut in half while mounted and the raptor can take a few hits of his own.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ciaphas posted:

If you override a clawstrider on aggressive it will become your terrible son…you can’t even do stealth because if you get near an encampment your terrible child will smell blood and go Lost World on their rear end

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
How do I make my mount, clawstrider or not, do anything? I've got 20 odd points in machine master but any time I dismount and start fighting it just stands there unless something comes right next to it and then it'll do one attack and gently caress off.

The only success I've had is overriding the machines that can't be ridden.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
E: quote not edit sry

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You have to set the mounts to aggressive when overriding if you want them to fight for you. And aggressive those little raptors will be!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

big nipples big life posted:

I don't think it's even possible to do the dlc without finishing the base game.

Yeah, unless they changed it for PC, which I doubt, you can't do Burning Shore until you beat the main quest. You can fast travel back relatively early in the DLC so you don't have to worry about missing out on training grounds and races if you're a completionist.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

exquisite tea posted:

You have to set the mounts to aggressive when overriding if you want them to fight for you. And aggressive those little raptors will be!

if you have unlocked the skill that allows for that setting. But i dont remember, before being able to set them to aggressive, what is their default stance? Are they just on Defensive before then, or is it a inbetween stance? I somewhat recall overrides before the skill not being quite as hapless as the Defensive setting while still lacking some of the iniative of Aggressive, but dont remember that clearly.
Defensive is more like Passive

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 30, 2024

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Falukorv posted:

if you have unlocked the skill that allows for that setting. But i dont remember, before being able to set them to aggressive, what is their default stance? Are they just on Defensive before then, or is it a inbetween stance? I somewhat recall overrides before the skill not being quite as hapless as the Defensive setting while still lacking some of the iniative of Aggressive, but dont remember that clearly.
Defensive is more like Passive

Haven't unlocked that skill yet and they seem passive by default. Had a quest recently that ended with a fight against two widemaws and two scrappers, I stealthed around and hacked both scrappers hoping they would help out against the widemaws but they just ambled about doing nothing, not sure they even threw out a single attack between them.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Yeah I had skipped that node in Machine Master but now that I have it the robots are absolutely tearing poo poo up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about a trap heavy playthru, anyone tried one of those

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the stillsands old world ruin is some hot "physics and even suspension of disbelief game mechanics behave ONLY in the way this specific puzzle requires" bullshit

you can grab crates and move them UNLESS THEYRE IN THE SPECIAL PULLCASTER ONLY SPOT. YOU CANNOT DRAG CRATES BY HAND THERE

you can pullcast crates and move them UNLESS YOU'RE PULLING THEM FROM ONE OF THE ARBITRARY FORBIDDEN ANGLES. ONLY PROPER PUZZLE ANGLES ALLOWED

although crates float in water and aloy can demonstrably generate thrust in water, ALOY CANNOT SIMPLY SWIM INTO OR GRAB THE CRATE TO MOVE IT, YOU MUST LOWER THE WATER LEVEL THEN MOVE THE CRATE BECAUSE NEWTON ONLY WORKS WHEN WE WANT

i wish they would give us some NiER bullet hell hacking minigames or something instead :| those are pure skill issue, none of this "you're holding the puzzle wrong" nonsense

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

soooo i just did the big setpiece on Landfall and i hated every single second of it :cry::cry::cry:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

[desire to know more intensifies]

There's a valor surge in the infiltrator tree that gives you stalker style active camo so you can walk right up to people. If you attack it fades for a bit but will recover in a second or two. At the max level I think it also gives you extra valor from silent strikes keeping you going longer. Pretty sure it boosts silent strike damage too?

Can't remember the exact specifics right now but I used it a lot in my first play through before switching to ranged master.

E: It's called stealth stalker, it's the first valor surge in the infiltrator tree. At the top level it's +200% silent strike damage vs. unaware targets and they do restore valor to keep you invisible for longer. It says "very high visibility reduction" but in practice I've never had it behave as anything but invisibility unless I accidentally run into someone. If you get silent strike+ up to level 4 via armor or weave boosts that's 150% damage increase and then the next 200% from the skill gets you to something like 1800 damage on a silent strike? There's a skill down in the burning shores bit of the tree that gives you an additional boost for having your resonator charged, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get to 2000+ damage. I'm going to go play around with it for a bit and see what sort of bullshit I can manage.

EE: I hit 1980 against a machine with no resonator boost, so yeah, you one-shot a lot of stuff in this mode. It's definitely sufficient to clear smaller rebel camps in their entirety in a single use.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 30, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sometimes when I'm playing games of epic scope, like this one, with an absolutely gorgeous environment and aesthetic, if what if I could go back in time and show my NES playing 8 yo self what video games were going to become. Hell even my 18 yo N64 playing self. It's absolutely insane the breadth of video game tech and quality over the course of my lifetime.

Like fully voice acted and mocapped in-engine cutscenes today....I used to get impressed by SKATE OR DIE

Lore question:

it's only been what, a couple of decades since the machines became aggressive and HEPHAESTUS started turning out War Dinosaurs, so what was the relationship between man and machine in the 600 or so years prior to the Derangement? So much of the dress aesthetic is dependent on machine pieces, and I doubt the Oseram developed their whole culture in 17 years, so were they just hunting docile monsters or scavenging busted machines

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 30, 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

it's only been what, a couple of decades since the machines became aggressive and HEPHAESTUS started turning out War Dinosaurs, so what was the relationship between man and machine in the 600 or so years prior to the Derangement? So much of the dress aesthetic is dependent on machine pieces, and I doubt the Oseram developed their whole culture in 17 years, so were they just hunting docile monsters or scavenging busted machines

Probably a little of both? Also have to wonder if the tribes divvy up who hunts machines for parts and who hunts real animals for food.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I think so, yes. For those centuries the machines were prey, just wandering around doing their jobs. They would presumably fight back if you cornered them and attacked, but they weren't that strong or built for that sort of thing and humans were able to overpower them with smarts and teamwork. Like real-life indigenous peoples hunting bison or other large herbivores

It was only after the Zenith signal to Hades that Hephaestus began building machines that were explicitly designed as predators or weapons mean to hunt and kill

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is this game good?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

zoux posted:

Until the Derangement, most of the machines were docile. They were still dangerous and could trample someone if provoked, but they operated under GAIA's directive not to harm humans. Each of the tribes has a somewhat different relationship to machines based on their culture, which I think is really fascinating. The Nora view them with inherent distrust, relics of the Metal World, and use them only for parts and scrap. The Banuk treat them with an almost religious reverence as the story of Banukai and the Blue Light of the machines is such a foundational element to their tribe. The Carja have a lot of birdlike ornamentation in their clothing, because Glinthawks perched on the mesa where Meridian was founded and play a role in their founding myth.

The Oseram actually don't wear many machine accessories at all, because they've discovered metalworking and smelt it all down in forges. In the first game Olin tells Aloy that "the metal seams run deep" in the Claim so there's probably a lot of Old World scrap lying around that the Oseram make use of there.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

zoux posted:

I used to get impressed by SKATE OR DIE
To be fair, that is still impressive, as are the sampled power chords on the Commodore 64 version of the original Skate or Die (the C64's SID chip wasn't even supposed to be capable of sample playback, so people like Rob Hubbard used a bug in the noise channel as a workaround).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Is this game good?

It's like a small step down from Horizon Zero Dawn; if you liked the first game, it's more of it.

There are a lot of little nagging annoyances that didn't have to be there and weren't before (why is everything a hold-to-activate input for no good reason? why are there a million redundant ammo types? why did fire get nerfed to death while frost is still the god-king of status effects? why is Aloy's knockdown recovery so slow? etc.) but none of them are enough to ruin the experience unless you were extremely on the fence already.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 31, 2024