Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Volte posted:

My guess is it would give those pawns too much of an advantage in the marketplace, since for someone who has already maxed out their capacity, it would be a reward that costs them basically nothing to offer, but would be one of the most valuable things to look for when hiring.

More likely it's so people can't easily print infinite beetles, since a pawn quest can be completed by multiple people, so you only need a few doing each others quests to manifest them out of thin air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have another question/compliant: I double checked that the pawns I hired had "Quest Guide: NO", and here this rear end in a top hat is, pestering me about leading the way. Is that trait on a quest-by-quest basis? I'm going to dismiss this rear end in a top hat ASAP and grab the first person I see on the road.

EDIT: I can see in the "status" page that the pawn has Quest Guide: YES. So either it's changed or I was just mistaken when choosing this archer.

It's on a quest by quest basis, basically whatever your active quest is when recruiting the pawn is what's checked against for if they count as a quest guide.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Phlegmish posted:

Ending questions for those who have finished the game:

- Are these Purgeners optional? I don't really feel like fighting them all.
- After you do the Halls of the First Dawn, you're apparently forced to start NG+. I take it that if I want to buy the best equipment for my pawn, I have to do it now, because vendor stock will have reset in the new game?

Regarding vendors in NG+ The vendors all retain their inventory from the unmoored world, so in NG+ you can still buy their endgame equipment. Same for the dragonforged, you can by the ultimate stuff from him as well with wyrmlife crystals as soon as you meet him

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

wtf sphinx trial of madness I put 'my beloved' on the platform, but they stepped off. Sphinx asks for confirmation so I answer 'no' because I'm concerned it won't register properly, but she treats it like I'm just loving with her, and she tells me she doesn't like me wasting her time and I fail the trial.

Bryaugh
Mar 7, 2004

So uuuh has anyone ever encountered a pawn that would use Blades of the Pyre with any kind of restraint? It seems like any pawn that has it will burn themselves into a half black healthbar after a few goblin packs.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bryaugh posted:

So uuuh has anyone ever encountered a pawn that would use Blades of the Pyre with any kind of restraint? It seems like any pawn that has it will burn themselves into a half black healthbar after a few goblin packs.

Apparently pawns with the thief maister skill perfect dodge the fire from that move

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In NG+ I just had a wandering pawn say "I knew you loved this world too much to leave it behind." Is that new to NG+?

Double Bill posted:

It asks you that if you haven't got to the "true" ending yet, because there's a few more hours of game left after the credits roll for the first time.

It's pretty dumb how easy they made it to miss the unmoored world endgame completely.

In my case I was aware and just wanted to do it in the ng+.

But it actually does make it sort of obvious. The ghost guy during the credits part is pretty conspicuous (and obviously visible once you sit on the throne) and I think most people would seek him out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is it actually worthwhile to level classes just for augments? My archer is level 5, and I'd get the weak point extra damage augment at level 8... but I'm not really feeling archer in general. I've maxed warrior and have mystic spearhand at 8. Basically I know I need the archer for the sphinx fight but other than that am I wasting my time trying to grind for that augment?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deified Data posted:

Apparently pawns with the thief maister skill perfect dodge the fire from that move

I gave my pawn both and they definitely did not lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently the entire map is revealed for NG+

Which...actually kinda sucks? I was hoping to use the shadowed parts to keep track of where I've explored.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ytlaya posted:

Apparently the entire map is revealed for NG+

Which...actually kinda sucks? I was hoping to use the shadowed parts to keep track of where I've explored.

That's actually the main reason I decided to just start over

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NG+ doesn't appreciably change things from all accounts, so you're genuinely better off starting over rather than playing NG+ unless you really want to just absolutely dumpster everything

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yeah, the NG+ experience is very weird. There's an entire new system unlocked at the Dragonforged that is completely irrelevant, because you outscaled everything in the wild 20-30 levels and a few tiers of gear ago.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fighter finally clicked for me when I started using the skill that charges up a counter attack. Fighter has several skills that do some variation on "absorb incoming attack," but THIS one will also one shot trash mobs in a broad swathe.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I tried to fight The Sphinx but I failed, I wonder if that was because I forgot to take off the debuff ring? I shot her a lot but she just took off anyway. Sucks because now I can't do anything about the final chest?

e: after reading about it a bit people are saying you need to hit her wings to actually trigger the fight. Well that is kinda ... precise.

I have an inn save right before that one, so I'll see if I can trigger it properly

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 30, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I started over from scratch and am currently a dozen or so hours into a run where I have cranked up enemy health/damage/stagger resistance to 300%, and I haven't decided yet if that was a great idea or an incredibly stupid idea.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It took me wayyyy too drat long to get my pawn learn how to speak elvish.

Apparently it’s completely random which NPCs will give you the tome, which NPCs will give you something else entirely, and which ones will just give you nothing at all. Way more of a confusing process than it should be.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The two thief maester skills are so strong when paired together that it genuinely trivializes every encounter. I might have to just refuse to use them even though they are good to keep having fun.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Huh, so if you complete "Short-sighted ambitions" by giving him a forgery of the tome he's looking for, it gives you a "good" end to the quest. Additionally, he actually sells you the first volume afterwards.
Any idea what I can do with them?

Edit: Oh, you just combine them to This
kind of disappointing. Maybe it can be given to some other mage.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 30, 2024

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

LibbyM posted:

The two thief maester skills are so strong when paired together that it genuinely trivializes every encounter. I might have to just refuse to use them even though they are good to keep having fun.

To be fair that's just thief in general.

TeaJay posted:

I tried to fight The Sphinx but I failed, I wonder if that was because I forgot to take off the debuff ring? I shot her a lot but she just took off anyway. Sucks because now I can't do anything about the final chest?

e: after reading about it a bit people are saying you need to hit her wings to actually trigger the fight. Well that is kinda ... precise.

I have an inn save right before that one, so I'll see if I can trigger it properly

(end sphinx spoilers) You just have to attack her multiple times to get her to pay attention to you before she flies off, which is most easily done with a ranged weapon. I don't know that it has to specifically be the wings. And then you can use the arrow she conveniently rewards you in one of the chests to make sure you win once she consents to a fight. I don't know if there's a way to do the fight the "legit" way but this was the easiest way to do it. I also had to revert to an inn save though because I didn't attack her fast enough the first time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Clocks posted:

(sphinx spoilers) You just have to attack her multiple times to get her to pay attention to you before she flies off, which is most easily done with a ranged weapon. I don't know that it has to specifically be the wings. And then you can use the arrow she conveniently rewards you in one of the chests to make sure you win once she consents to a fight. I don't know if there's a way to do the fight the "legit" way but this was the easiest way to do it. I also had to revert to an inn save though because I didn't attack her fast enough the first time.

The way it works is you have to attack her non human parts. So her back half and her wings.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Clocks posted:

To be fair that's just thief in general.

(end sphinx spoilers) You just have to attack her multiple times to get her to pay attention to you before she flies off, which is most easily done with a ranged weapon. I don't know that it has to specifically be the wings. And then you can use the arrow she conveniently rewards you in one of the chests to make sure you win once she consents to a fight. I don't know if there's a way to do the fight the "legit" way but this was the easiest way to do it. I also had to revert to an inn save though because I didn't attack her fast enough the first time.

I'm guessing it was the debuff ring that failed me the first time, but I also shot at the wings for good measure. Ne'ertheless I was able to trigger the fight and hit her with the unmaking arrow the second time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Vookatos posted:

Honestly, it makes the weirdos who complain about their pawns calling them gay funnier because in my experience it's nearly impossible to find a male pawn.

There’s got to be a themed riftstone somewhere for gendered pawns.

The riftstone for gay male pawns is called “Central Park Circa the 1960s”

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheMostFrench posted:

wtf sphinx trial of madness I put 'my beloved' on the platform, but they stepped off. Sphinx asks for confirmation so I answer 'no' because I'm concerned it won't register properly, but she treats it like I'm just loving with her, and she tells me she doesn't like me wasting her time and I fail the trial.

I felt fair save scumming there more than most other places.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finished the game. Great experience but with a lot of missed potential, I'll write a proper review later. I started a NG+ but I don't have much motivation to keep going, I already have the best possible gear, it's mostly just to keep my pawn available to help others out. Maybe I'll hunt for the last remaining beetles, too.

TeaJay posted:

Were you using the Unmaking Arrow? I hit her just once with that and that worked fine for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Game is about embracing mistakes and rolling with the punches. It’s a choice to make dying actually punishing and it’s honestly a cool handicap that teaches you to be better (because dying isn’t fun!). If this genuinely bothers you this much wait a week or so and there will be a mod to outright remove the penalty or let you heal your max health back outside of camp (I expect the latter to come first). REFramework has been updated for the game so I expect the modding scene to take off properly now.

Like this game punishes you in all sorts of ways. Quests will outright fail and go away if you take too long in one area, you can lock yourself out of content by focusing on other content. How you prioritize your time and explore / play the game is a big part of it.

Quoting myself because this turned out to be almost exactly a week to the day: Disable the HP penalty (Loss Gauge) when reloading last save mod is out

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So let’s be real: is Mystic Spearblade better or worse than Warrior when it comes to (a) face tanking and (b) yeeting guys around w/ attacks? Also do blunt Warrior weapons have greater yeet potential? Bc that’s what I would like to see. Big sweaty men bumping meat

Also I was underwhelmed by fighter’s Skyward Slash attack but the upgraded Warrior equivalent rips (literally) bc it is basically the Axel uppercut from Streets of Rage 2 — use it on a tall guy and you’ll get multiple hits out of it. Stunlock a cyclops

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 30, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Spear is perfect tank because it grants team invulnerability in a way you can easily weave into other attacks and stay permanently full health (besides fall down from 3 foot drop face first of course).

It's not a yeeter, it's a stabber so you're more likely to pin something in place than to send it flying. You can however send yourself flying to and fro and that's fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Hmmm I’m of two minds on this

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't know who on the dev team thought it was a good idea to make a skill that makes your whole team invincible for ever.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know who on the dev team thought it was a good idea to make a skill that makes your whole team invincible for ever.

The one who heard the lead go on abt gameplay friction and was like “how about some of this friction” and made a j/o motion. Aka, the cool one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm playing archer now and what the hell is this lmao

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, replaying the game it really shows how garbage the main story is.
First most of the quests in Vermund is filler, then you get sent to Battahl, do some fetch quests, and the story is basically over. I think you could actually finish the game without setting a food in the desert of Battahl itself, as long as you use the coastal path there.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jedrick posted:

So I'm sizing up a gap across a ravine over a river and a hireling sorcerer goes:

"Hey dipshit, bet you forgot I'm magick and could totally make that jump."

Alright, go for it bud.

They make a running start and immediately fall 80ft into the brine with zero effort made to actually jump.

I sigh and head to the rift stone nearby when my main pawn chimes in:

"I think we should hire a sorcerer, they're known for their powerful Magicks."

I love my silly little guys.

On the other end of things, I was pretty impressed last night when I came across a large gap leading to a kickdown ladder, and my mage pawn flew across on his own and activated the ladder so that the rest of us could climb up.

TeaJay posted:

Is it actually worthwhile to level classes just for augments? My archer is level 5, and I'd get the weak point extra damage augment at level 8... but I'm not really feeling archer in general. I've maxed warrior and have mystic spearhand at 8. Basically I know I need the archer for the sphinx fight but other than that am I wasting my time trying to grind for that augment?

A few augments are decent. Most aren't. That weakpoint one is extremely not (+5% damage). Generally anything that affects defenses/weight/knockdown has high enough numbers to be worthwhile while the rest are total garbage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

i think the spectacle of combat was a bigger priority than its functionality as a means of challenging the player, likely due to how much of a mess pawns make combat. flagration and frigor, two of the most basic spells in the entire game, already completely destroy visual clarity, and the game only checks for death after your body is grounded, so you can survive everything in the game that isn't a straight faceplant off a cliff by slamming the potion button the moment you notice your whole health bar is gray

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

So let’s be real: is Mystic Spearblade better or worse than Warrior when it comes to (a) face tanking and (b) yeeting guys around w/ attacks? Also do blunt Warrior weapons have greater yeet potential? Bc that’s what I would like to see. Big sweaty men bumping meat

Also I was underwhelmed by fighter’s Skyward Slash attack but the upgraded Warrior equivalent rips (literally) bc it is basically the Axel uppercut from Streets of Rage 2 — use it on a tall guy and you’ll get multiple hits out of it. Stunlock a cyclops

Honestly I've been playing both and I still don't know which I like better. MSH has all the mobility (and the bubble) but then again warrior is just so drat brutal. It feels so satisfying swinging your weapon around and send small mobs flying or stand on top of a big mobs head and whack them in the face.

I have a pretty nice barbarian look going in Bakbattahl. The game even feels like it runs better here. Maybe it's just the capital or Venworth cities they stuffed so full of everything they run like poo poo.

A fun thing about the game is that no one absolutely gives a gently caress about what you do. You can steal everyone's stuff or even accidentally shoot an arrow in someone's gut.

Right after arriving at Bakbattahl I change my vocation and immediately get challenged by some guy. And I have to fight this dude while naked. But no worries, I just pin him into a corner and punch him to submission!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what do I need to do for the first step of this The Ornate Box quest? I talked to both the merchant and the guy he was arguing with and neither has anything to say about the quest. the objective area is around the merchant but I haven't found anything there.

Unlucky7 posted:

I will say I do not like how long my character takes to get up. The first game had a Fighter skill where you can get up quickly if you time it right. Does it still exist?

Controlled fall was moved to thief. in the first game I never learned when you were supposed to time it so I just mashed X and it would work every time, haven't checked whether that still works here as I only just unlocked it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vermain posted:

NG+ doesn't appreciably change things from all accounts, so you're genuinely better off starting over rather than playing NG+ unless you really want to just absolutely dumpster everything

In my case I actually want to keep all my stuff and money. I mainly just wanted to reset quests.

So my only real gripe is the full map reveal, which is annoying because I wanted to keep the shadowed parts so I knew where I hadn't been in my first playthrough. I still have a vague idea of where I haven't been, but it'd be nice to know the various side-roads I hadn't previously explored.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

what do I need to do for the first step of this The Ornate Box quest? I talked to both the merchant and the guy he was arguing with and neither has anything to say about the quest. the objective area is around the merchant but I haven't found anything there.

Controlled fall was moved to thief. in the first game I never learned when you were supposed to time it so I just mashed X and it would work every time, haven't checked whether that still works here as I only just unlocked it

You should get a dialogue from a street urchin named Sven (who was running from a guard earlier) in that area. He wants to buy the ornate box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Most of the vocations have an ability that completely trivializes all content so just use abilities you want and don't consider anything an absolute must have. The game isn't hard enough to need specific abilities