Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

Werewolves of London is a great song. The rest of Zevon's catalog is not good.

Sorry? Excitable Boy may overshadow most of Zevon's work because it's so drat good, but his whole career has solid gold running through it. His 1976 self-titled album may even be better than Excitable Boy, seeing as how it's packing I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, Desperados Under the Eaves, Hasten Down The Wind, Mohammed's Radio and The French Inhaler. And he stayed good right to the end, finishing off with Disorder In The House and the best ever cover of Knocking On Heaven's Door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Zevon just never appealed to me, same as Harry Chapin.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you want a REAL hot take:

John Carpenter is an excellent sci fi filmmaker and an absolute mid at best horror filmmaker

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well that take probably depends a lot of your strict genre definitions right, because I'm guessing you'd say The Thing is not horror?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Does that mean lovecraft is scifi?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Well that take probably depends a lot of your strict genre definitions right, because I'm guessing you'd say The Thing is not horror?

The Thing is a horror/sci fi to me (a horror sci/fi means primarily a horror movie, whereas a sci fi/horror would be primarily a sci fi).

What I consider his sci fi movies:

Escape From NY/LA, Assault On Precinct 13, Ghost of Mars, Dark Star, They Live.

Anything else id consider primarily horror besides stuff like Big Trouble which is a fun action movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ok just trying to gauge just how hot that take is. And it's pretty hot!

I do seem to remember you're not a Halloween guy though. What are your thoughts on The Fog?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
AoP13 is sci-fi?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

The Thing is a horror/sci fi to me (a horror sci/fi means primarily a horror movie, whereas a sci fi/horror would be primarily a sci fi).

Escape From NY/LA, Assault On Precinct 13, Ghost of Mars, Dark Star, They Live.

Anything else id consider primarily horror besides stuff like Big Trouble which is a fun action movie.

Assault on Precinct 13 is just a remake of Rio Bravo. It's no more SF than Death Wish. Otherwise I'm with you on the movie definitions, except you forgot Starman, Memoirs of an Invisible Man and his version of The Midwich Cuckoos. The real hot take is you saying that Escape From LA and Ghosts of Mars are better than Halloween and The Fog.

You do raise an interesting point, though, that while not only is Carpenter pigeonholed as a horror director even by himself, the only straight horror movies he made are Someone's Watching Me, Halloween, The Fog, Christine, ITMOM and The Ward.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Prince of Darkness has aliens in it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
His Village Of The Damned also is like entirely about aliens

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Assault on Precinct 13 is a western.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Ok just trying to gauge just how hot that take is. And it's pretty hot!

I do seem to remember you're not a Halloween guy though. What are your thoughts on The Fog?

Honestly I haven't seen the Fog in a long long time so im gonna give it a rewatch today or tomorrow and get back to you!

Jedit posted:

Otherwise I'm with you on the movie definitions, except you forgot Starman, Memoirs of an Invisible Man and his version of The Midwich Cuckoos.

I havent seen Memoirs or Midwhich Cuckoos so i will def have to look into those too. I did forget about Starman which i saw once but id consider that a scifi.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i think Christine is probably my FAVORITE of Carpenter's horror output, but I think ITMOM is probably his BEST horror movie

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Prince of Darkness was a weak movie and probably my least favorite he made. I also think Halloween isn't very special and just got lucky out of the myriad of other slashers of that era. Other than that he's aces.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Doltos posted:

Prince of Darkness was a weak movie and probably my least favorite he made. I also think Halloween isn't very special and just got lucky out of the myriad of other slashers of that era. Other than that he's aces.

The original Halloween is not only boring as sin but just not that scary either

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Null of Undefined posted:

Hey horror thread for the holiday weekend I made a horror challenge for myself in which I'm going to watch as many easter horror movies as I can between today and sunday. Figured I'd drop the list here in case anyone wanted to join me (not likely)

I'm pretty sure the last one is gonna be very racist but I'm curious as to how bad it could get (probably pretty bad)

Checking back in.
I just finished my 7th movie of the weekend and am starting my 8th.
Here's what I think so far:
1. Easter Bunny, Kill! Kill! - bad bad
2. Critters 2: The Main Course - good
3. Bunny the Killer Thing - bad bad
4. Little Witches - good bad
5. Beaster Day: Here Comes Peter Cottonhell - funny good bad
6. The Being - good
7. Rottentail - gross good bad

Edit: I didn't skip Night of the Lepus I changed the order of the list before I started watching but it's the same movies

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 30, 2024

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Fog is my favorite Carpenter and it's a great example of purely fun horror

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The thing with Carpenter, for me, is not that all of his films are spectacular or anything but his framing, lighting, sound, music and camera work are just so God damned good most of the time.

The original Halloween is honestly kind of slow and has a lot of really bad acting but it has so many memorable shots and creative use of the camera that I love it every time I watch it. And dude made it on a shoestring budget. There's a visceral and tactile element that Carpenter brings to things that are hard to entirely define, so much so that it papers over a lot of the shortcomings and weaknesses in his films that might easily be ruined by a lesser director. You're IN the scene, no matter how silly it is. You can smell it, know the temperature outside, feel the weather, what time of day or night is, etc.

Totally.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Carpenter’s run until after Mouth of Madness is insane

Just bangers all day baby

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It’s crazy how bad Chevy Chase broke John. Like Chevy deserves fire and brimstone for that.

It’s the one movie that reporters are asked not to ask him about directly. He’ll talk about The Ward before he talks about Memoirs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

I havent seen Memoirs or Midwhich Cuckoos so i will def have to look into those too. I did forget about Starman which i saw once but id consider that a scifi.

Yeah, I'm just saying that you left them off the list. Memoirs is forgettable - and again, Carpenter wishes he could - and Village of the Damned is of course pure SF because it's based on John Wyndham.

The Fog may not be Carpenter's best movie, but it's a great little ghost story.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

It’s crazy how bad Chevy Chase broke John. Like Chevy deserves fire and brimstone for that.

It’s the one movie that reporters are asked not to ask him about directly. He’ll talk about The Ward before he talks about Memoirs.

he's getting his now because John is living his best life smoking weed, playing games, signing checks, making music, and directing FROM HIS COUCH, while Chevy became a unhirable, fat and bloated and now his brain is turning to mush as he does conventions with Randy Quaid,

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

John Carpenter made a prequel about Pennywise's mother?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Fog was one I didn't love the first time and then I caught it on a stream somewhere and did a total about face and fell in love with it.

The whole movie is a vibe. Seaside town horror just does it for me in the last ten or so years.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Carpenter doesn’t have any mid movies. They are either masterpieces or interesting disasters. Except maybe The Ward but that movie barely exists.

Also massive disagree that Prince of Darkness and Halloween are bad lol just no.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TheKingslayer posted:

The Fog was one I didn't love the first time and then I caught it on a stream somewhere and did a total about face and fell in love with it.

The whole movie is a vibe. Seaside town horror just does it for me in the last ten or so years.

I disliked it the first time I saw it and still do. It has all of Carpenter's usual touches but they're not enough to make up for the fact that nothing really loving happens.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think that's one of the things I like about it. It's a very sleepy movie. But I totally understand not digging that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Carpenter's filmography is half stuff I haven't seen and everything else is great, nothing less

Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness, Halloween 1, They Live, and Assault on Precinct 13; any one of those, alone by itself, would be in the discussion for anyone else's best film. Absolutely insane one guy made all of them

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snake Plissken is one of the most badass characters ever made

not that hes a horror character, but who do yall consider the most badass horror character? i have to think on it for a sec

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Assault On Precinct 13

:psyduck:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

for some reason i thought it took place in some dystopian 70s but i think i could be wrong

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You didn't like a movie I liked? lol, no, just no

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ash is my pic for most badass of the top of my head. He’s an idiot but he can kill deadites real good

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

for some reason i thought it took place in some dystopian 70s but i think i could be wrong

The 70s were just dystopian by default.

The first Mad Max is heavily inspired by the Oil Crisis of 1973 when people literally fought over what little gasoline they could get (after probably waiting hours in line).

It was a very chaotic time so a lot of media from the time that's just slightly exaggerating things as they were is taken by latter people as sci-fi.

Like the Warriors has been sold as "near future" but isn't that much of an exaggeration of how wacky the 1970s street gang scene in NYC was.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The 70s were just dystopian by default.

The first Mad Max is heavily inspired by the Oil Crisis of 1973 when people literally fought over what little gasoline they could get (after probably waiting hours in line).

It was a very chaotic time so a lot of media from the time that's just slightly exaggerating things as they were is taken by latter people as sci-fi.

Like the Warriors has been sold as "near future" but isn't that much of an exaggeration of how wacky the 1970s street gang scene in NYC was.

i think thats a perfect explanation actually, def why i thought it was sci fi. But youre right its not really sci fi as much as it is an exageratted reality at the time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Warriors were written by Sol Yurick back in 1965 and were a response to him trying to come up with a good story while briefly working with youth in NYC. It's not quite 70s based even though the movie is.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Kvlt! posted:

Snake Plissken is one of the most badass characters ever made

not that hes a horror character, but who do yall consider the most badass horror character? i have to think on it for a sec

The dudes from the Phantasm films, maybe? And this will make the sci-fi /horror purists flip, but Ripley.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the Outsiders is often associated with a 50s aesthetic/the 1950s despite being published in 67 and taking place in 65. But when peoplet think "60s" they often think of hippies and Vietnam and stuff, which isnt the Outsiders aesthetic despite being its time period.

I havent seen the Warriors but I imagine a similar thing maybe, or why I thought AoP13 was scifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The warriors is dope