Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
paladin's quest was a weird sci-fantasy romp with the conceit that you hired all the other characters in your party as mercenaries and some would just gently caress you over for kicks. it was pretty fun, even if the end bit was a little weak, as most games are when time travel is involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I could have sworn the magic system had this neat-ish rune combo system and also no healing magic so all healing was potion-based?

And you could use anything equipped as an attack. Headbutt with a helmet, shield bash, attack with actual weapons, kick with boots/shoes, etc.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ah, so "idiot kid" then. I'll mark it for a re-visit, lol. Kinda glad to know it was just me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the worst snes rpg is definitively 7th Saga

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Sorry, I've been out this evening or I'd have more to type. But in short: All that as above, but also it had an almost unique visual style with heavy use of pastels and almost surreal objects and monsters. Nothing looks like Paladin's Quest except Paladin's Quest (and Lennus 2, the Japanese-only second game in the series).

I would never call it the best RPG on the SNES. There's grinding, it's not super well balanced, and the translation is iffy. But it is interesting if you can get through it, with all the good and bad that implies, and it's a long way from the worst. Lennus 2, too.

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 30, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

There’s a lot of snes rpgs I haven’t touched, I had one but couldn’t afford any of the games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember enjoying Lagoon when I originally played it, but I was a dumb kid. But then I played Final Fantasy VI, and then Chrono Trigger, and those two games changed my life.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GateOfD posted:

What’s going to be most anticipated jrpg to be released for the rest of the year after most people are done with Rebirth

Trails Through Daybreak

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Eyuden chronicles

Trails is dead with that aaron wei gently caress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

Eyuden chronicles

assuming this isn't a joke i'm morbidly curious as to how this guy is the straw that broke the camel's back

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
he's a cocky 19 year old who thinks anyone older than him is a grandpa/ma and anyone younger than him is a brat.

i don't get why this is a dealbreaker to people but there's an understandable axiom for why people don't like him at least

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Junpei posted:

I could have sworn the magic system had this neat-ish rune combo system and also no healing magic so all healing was potion-based?

And you could use anything equipped as an attack. Headbutt with a helmet, shield bash, attack with actual weapons, kick with boots/shoes, etc.

Yeah it was interesting. Healing was limited because you could only heal with the potions on your belt item that had a cap, and all your spells cost HP too.

Though my favorite thing about that game is they weren't normal about anything and were committed to making the world look very weird and alien. Like even down to the trees, houses, etc. Even some of the character portraits are just completely bizarre too like that one ghost swordsman guy's portrait. It's great.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ace Transmuter posted:

I remember renting Lagoon on the SNES once and it being very, incredibly bad to play, but I was also a dumb kid so maybe it gets better?

Surprised also to not see a Beyond the Beyond reference, but I think that history has maybe been kinder to it than I realize.
BtB is not a good game, but its biggest sin IMO is just being boring, not actually actively bad. It's just a very generic DQ clone.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is getting talk about in the roguelike thread but deserves a mention here too.

Its the door logic puzzles with mimics. Has a bit of tower of the sorcerer DNA put in there too. If you like puzzle stuff with rpg coatings like tactical nexus or soulestination you'll probably like this too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Junpei posted:

he's a cocky 19 year old who thinks anyone older than him is a grandpa/ma and anyone younger than him is a brat.

i don't get why this is a dealbreaker to people but there's an understandable axiom for why people don't like him at least

he's also a sleazy womanizer and he says Grandpa to a 23 year old woman more times than the incest sibling jokes and tita/agate jokes combined in half the time

he's a major drag of repetitive writing in an otherwise normal crew

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That sounds significantly less bad than the other jokes you're comparing it to.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

he's also a sleazy womanizer and he says Grandpa to a 23 year old woman more times than the incest sibling jokes and tita/agate jokes combined in half the time

Yeah the otherwise normal crew making the....sibling incest jokes?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh no i made the fatal mistake of posting the cool indie game while it was time for the rpg thread to circle back to incest for the dozenth time

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I put it on my wishlist so it still worked, Snooze

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh no i made the fatal mistake of posting the cool indie game while it was time for the rpg thread to circle back to incest for the dozenth time
Inc'est la vie.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Yeah that mimic game looks sick

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh no, logic puzzles, my one weakness (in that I love them too much).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

Eyuden chronicles

Dunno who that is op

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

he also asks if him having long hair gives the protag a boner so hes my favorite character in kuro

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im assuming tae is just very mad that aaron wei, noted trails character, would call them an old gently caress

edit: also jokes aside if you were playing with the fan patch its probably just bad tl. calling someone like, oji-san or jii-san as your only form of address for them is normal in japanese and doesnt come across that repetitive because its just a way you address someone, but if the fan patch translated that directly to 'gramps' or 'old man' every single time itd come across very repetitive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah Ys X is also gonna be out in English this year, based Falcom

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Falcom raking it in this year

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Diablo IV has level scaling on all enemies and not a single card game anywhere to be found unless one of these 800 different submenus that all feel like traps to get me to buy a battlepass for a single player game hides it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why would there be a card game in diablo 4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blizzard already have a card game they want you to spend money on

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

BtB is not a good game, but its biggest sin IMO is just being boring, not actually actively bad. It's just a very generic DQ clone.

There was a couple of things that were quite bad on top of being generic.

The grinding is bad enough to make you get slaughtered in the first dungeon if you don't spend a couple hours at it and it doesn't get much better from there, the strong character gets cursed early on and you spend 10-ish hours with him being nearly useless, some of the dungeons are obscenely long, the encounter rate is very high, and the bosses had WAY too much health, for some reason they decided to give everything multiple health bars with bosses being especially bad.

That being said, I'm amused by them hiding the opening movie behind a button combo, it's like they were ashamed of it or something.
Also there is a sliding block puzzle early on that if you back out of, you immediately get into in an unwinnable fight.

Funny remembering Samson's uselessness reminded me of Black Sigil, the main character being a load after the tutorial, the incredible encounter rate, the battle fields all being heavily cramped which goes well with a character who can't act randomly, and the various show-stopping bugs.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh right, Black Sigil, the game where a random encounter procced before the screen was finished fading away from the battle screen so I went from the end of one battle to the start of a new one without it going back to the map.

And that's not some mechanic, I was just holding a direction after the battle was done.

The battles where sometimes you can't do anything because you can't move through other party members or parts of the map, so you can just get stuck not being able to do anything for a fight.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The devs also blamed all the problems on people playing the game on an R4, and had to get rid of their excess stock of the game by dumping it on eBay.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
who were the ad wizards who put a stealth section in lost odyssey

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

who were the ad wizards who put a stealth section in lost odyssey

its a 360 game they were contractually obligated to include one

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in terms of worst rpg i've played, for me "worst" = most boring rather than most broken. so that easily goes to xenosaga pt 2, and the first neptunia game would be in second place (also fairy fencer f is not much better)

i'd probably have fantasian in the top 10 worst even if it is v pretty and not really boring, just sooooo tedious. actually i guess that can constitute boredom never mind

most anticipated, besides Eiyuden and SaGa, i'm keeping an eye on Weirdlands, Alterium Shift, Infinite Mana, Keylocker, Flowstone Saga, and SacriFire. i'm not sure if all of them will come out/hit 1.0 this year though

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 30, 2024

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Snooze Cruise posted:

like a solid half of this thread loves to talk about how every rpg is bad and ruining the genre except for a small handful of final fantasies (not any of the bad ones that have things like writing or women in them mind you) and dont ever wanna talk about games that are good or interesting or new. kinda weird of them!

in better news, you guys wont believe this but reverse collapse: code name bakery is good

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it's funny that even the remake of the first Neptunia is still considered bad from people I know

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Meowywitch posted:

it's funny that even the remake of the first Neptunia is still considered bad from people I know
tbf even normal bad would be a huge step up from "considered literally one of the worst RPGs of that console generation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It is very not good.