Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Shyrka posted:

This loving game.

Was making my first real foray to the west of the map, trying to make for Batahl.

Go into some random cave and find a little kid surrounded by wolves, he's all, "Oh did my grandfather send you to find me? I must get home!" and my pawn's all, "Yeah I know the way, c'mon master!"

Fucker wants to go all the way back to Vernworth!
That quest went normally for me until I encountered a shade on the way to his grandfather. The child was transfixed, stumbling forward in a dazed stupor towards what would be his cackling doom.

I had to carry that kid, kicking and screaming, back to his grandfather, cursing all the time. At least the worst resolved properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Fighter finally clicked for me when I started using the skill that charges up a counter attack. Fighter has several skills that do some variation on "absorb incoming attack," but THIS one will also one shot trash mobs in a broad swathe.

This skill outclasses their normal deflect in every way tbh, kinda feel bad I don't use their shield for anything. I love their maister skill and have it on at all times but this really should have been the maister skill.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fighter messes with my head because for some reason I keep expecting to be able to do weapon skills while holding RB.

(the reason is that my two most-played vocations are Archer and Magic Archer)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

do you have to do something to make a harpy pick you up after using a smoke beacon? I don't see any other way to reach this chest so I used a beacon by the campfire, and a harpy came down but just flew around it for a bit before leaving. there's even a harpy nest up there.

TeaJay posted:

You should get a dialogue from a street urchin named Sven (who was running from a guard earlier) in that area. He wants to buy the ornate box.

I talked to him several times and he didn't say anything about it.

I had already bought that box earlier and have it in my inventory. will it work if I gift it to him?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Owl Inspector posted:

do you have to do something to make a harpy pick you up after using a smoke beacon? I don't see any other way to reach this chest so I used a beacon by the campfire, and a harpy came down but just flew around it for a bit before leaving. there's even a harpy nest up there.

I had already bought that box earlier and have it in my inventory. will it work if I gift it to him?

you gotta grab onto the harpy

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Found the Medusa fight at night. The reveal of the eyes in the dark followed by the big red spotlight effect was so loving cool looking. The lighting in this game in general is amazing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So back to 'An Ornate Box'. I just realized who Sven is. Now that I've done the main quests involving him does that mean he's in the palace and can't be found at his original location?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao, I apparently never got the Seeker Token in the fountain in Vernworth. At least that's easy to remember as my first NG+ token!

Edit: apparently I'm not the only one, since one of my level 40-something pawns mentioned telling their master about it

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

I guess an apt choice would be to sleep for a day or two and see if he appears around the fountain with new dialogue? For me it was different since I hadn't bought him, just lent him the money when he asked.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Finally had a harpy dive bomb the ropeway carriage I was riding and my entire party faceplanted to our deaths. I'd say the MA augment to speed up pawn resurrection is worth it because the speed up is noticeable.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

lmao, I apparently never got the Seeker Token in the fountain in Vernworth. At least that's easy to remember as my first NG+ token!

Edit: apparently I'm not the only one, since one of my level 40-something pawns mentioned telling their master about it

I'm curious if seeker token knowledge boils down to "aught catches the light" and them putting an exclamation point on top of it, or if they don't actually "learn" about tokens. Every time I pick one up they do the same exact dialogue barks about "interesting, I shall have to inform my own master of this" and to be fair there are like 240 tokens so at any given time, the owners of the two pawns I have will probably not both have picked the same one up. The exclamation mark has been useful but unlike chests/campsites/rifts/caves they never explicitly go "yo I know where to find a token!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just got my most positive pawn travelogue:

"Manifold were the lessons I learned on this journey.
The Arisen grew mightier with each challenge we faced.
'Twas a singular adventure. I know not what more to say."

I wonder if this means they did quests I haven't done?

Lakbay posted:

Finally had a harpy dive bomb the ropeway carriage I was riding and my entire party faceplanted to our deaths. I'd say the MA augment to speed up pawn resurrection is worth it because the speed up is noticeable.

During the story fight with (late game) the Colossus, one of the ballista bolts directly hit me and sent me falling to my death. How was I supposed to prevent that!?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 30, 2024

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tbh it’s not bad necessarily but i think the core gameplay is a sort of unhappy middle ground between Dragon Age: Inquisition (underrated idc idc) and soulslike basics.

Basic FROM-style design emphasizes a standard array of attacks which hinge on a recharging resource bar. These core tools are supplemented by powerful, rotary-selected single button active abilities (related to the weapon or spell slots) using a separate non-recharging resource bar, plus finite consumables. In concert with careful timing / environmental-and-positioning design, the essential gist of the system is managing your resources and supplemental tools to create and take advantage of openings for standard attacks.

Though a resource pool recharges in a soulslike, there is no real feeling of “cool-down” in any passive sense; doing anything such that you go straight from full bar to nil will either brute force you through a given encounter quickly, or put in a position to be punished for hubris. Thus the combat feels uniformly quick, decisive, and responsive in real-time.

DD2’s emphasis, by contrast, is on button chord activated abilities which share a hybrid cooldown-mana bar resource pool. These are supplemented by standard attacks which are, for the most part, cooldown filler. Crucially these are features basically derived from MMO-style, DPS-driven combat. There are however some meaty environmental and special systems (eg, climbing bosses) that use the active ability resource pool.

Obviously these are two different frameworks and whether they work for you in more or less pure forms is subject to taste. But I also think, crucially, that they’re polar opposite designs in some ways. Namely Soulslikes have resource mechanics but they are, if anything, purposed to ensure there aren’t passive moments. MMO combat by contrast needs passive moments to support its resource mechanic design.

IMHO, the fundamental jank of DD2 is its very weird and not very successful attempt to find a middle ground between those two designs.

The majority of combat is very reminiscent of DA:I in its alternation between chip DPS (passive combat) and cooldown-limited spike DPS (active abilities). Because of the way that design works, spending time on anything but attacking and using abilities feels wasted — like in DA:I, things like effective positioning and maneuverability are for the most part governed by active abilities (if they’re offered to your vocation in any meaningful sense beyond charging to the closest enemy).

And yet there are passages in which DD2 seems to want to break out its MMO dream and become something more responsive and dynamic — when a big boss staggers, the game is suddenly alive in a new way, all of a sudden you’re breaking out of the passive-active loop to try and push this thing over, so that you can jump and maneuver onto it and hit a strategic area. Now the game is real time in a way it wasn’t before

That level of precision control (to the extent it’s precise — imo it is both a bit sluggish and a bit finicky when it kicks in) is not really present in normal combat, and so real problem with the game i in my eyes is that it’s only really fun during boss fights, when it allows itself to break out of the passive-active loop. Maneuvering on foot feels so bad and so wasteful that interacting with level design elements like destructible bridges and boulder traps rocks / pots you can throw feels wasteful (plus, if I’m a warrior, what good would it do to take time away from trading blows to douse goblins in water?)

Compounding that flaw to a really severe degree is that, if you’re playing as a melee character at least, things like status effects inflicted on enemies have no bearing on strategic play — either inflicting them or taking advantage of them.

A game like DA:I with a similar core mechanic is really dependent on that strategic modal aspect. You really miss it. And having no control over your party means you couldn’t make it work even if you wanted to.

If anything I would actually say that the biggest flaw in the game’s design is that status effects don’t matter very much at all to enemies in ways you could really control (they could fix this, at least in part, by folding offensive status into crafting [outside archery] and implementing some sort of meaningful item quick bar), but they really, really matter when they happen to you.

For me at least, the threat of effects — either actual status effects or the universal effect of stagger and stun lock — combined with the negligible maneuverability completely eliminates whatever utility combat positioning has in normal play. You get punished for trying to play that way. The only redeeming quality to fighting mobs is gonzo physics. In all other respects, it’s less dynamic and less interesting than your average MMO.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Syq

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I just got my most positive pawn travelogue:

"Manifold were the lessons I learned on this journey.
The Arisen grew mightier with each challenge we faced.
'Twas a singular adventure. I know not what more to say."

I wonder if this means they did quests I haven't done?

I think it can also mean they learned new techniques like grabbing enemies to toss them away from casters or throwing barrels at slimes. Whoever taught my pawn to climb monsters was very rude, though. She's a sorcerer! She can't do anything up there!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Man, replaying the game it really shows how garbage the main story is.
First most of the quests in Vermund is filler, then you get sent to Battahl, do some fetch quests, and the story is basically over. I think you could actually finish the game without setting a food in the desert of Battahl itself, as long as you use the coastal path there.

It's been a bit for me but if memory serves the first game was very thin gruel itself on the story front. I do think it had more memorable notes to it though? The crazy duke and his wife who wants to gently caress you immediately, the jester who isn't really important enhances things just sort of by being there. The Dragon had an actual dungeon and a more involved encounter compared to DD2's. Also the beloved scene was way better and stupider, and I could get a good look at them instead of squinting and wondering if that was the spearhand guy.

I'd hope for some meaty DLC but I don't recall the first one getting more then BBI and hardmode.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think my only gameplay issue (that is also arguably why I enjoy the game) is that it's too easy. I think enemies should probably be more aggressive and have more attacks that threaten people at range.

But this doesn't bother me too much since I'd rather have fun knocking around enemies than insert tension into every single encounter like in Souls-likes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tbh I’d be way happier with combat if “pick up and throw” were a single button press-and-release rather than tap button A, hold button B, release B.

By the time my fingers remember the sequence I’m either attacked and stunned out of the maneuver or I’m running low on stamina to aim effectively. I don’t have to use it enough to get it down in muscle memory the way I would with like, Helldivers 2 stratagems

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 30, 2024

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Finished the game. 57 hours. True ending post-game. I had a smile in my face on the ending, but theres not hiding that many things in the game where bad, mostly around the questing. But was a cool pew pew pew game, and I love it for that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, worst enemy in the game: lightning porcupines that stab you with spears and stunlock you to heck

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gonna be a sad day when I have to switch this guy out

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Entered the final dungeon (not post-game), and some dude I met maybe twice challenged me to a duel. Playing a Bowfarer, so I ran up to him, jump kicked him, and shot an arrow while flying back from him, only I went off the bridge, fell to my death, used a wakestone, and got Quest Complete because I ran away.

10/10

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
In case anyone is trying to find a Dullahan, not sure if this was a fluke but at night I was a bit west of Melve, between it and that first outpost you reach in the game when one spawned near a bridge. It became super obvious something was up because the entire area got foggy and my lantern went out. The trophy you get for killing a Dullahan implies they disappear at dawn so you don't have much time to kill them.

I've got just a few pockets of Battahl left to explore and maybe another side quest or two (others I might leave for a new game file).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

my fighter pawn hit max rank so I switched him to archer so he can still earn some augments until I unlock warrior, and he still has powerful fighter brain. he's much more eager to kick, pin and throw things than shoot them.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I think for my next playthrough when they finally release any big DLC I will get a mod that decreases player XP earned from small mobs (but leaves vocation XP the same). I've just got done exploring everything in Vernworth and about to do the coronation, but I'm already level 40+. The big guys are nothing, and I have a feeling what I meet in the desert will be the same. I don't really have a problem with the difficulty, but I outlevel everything so quickly just checking every nook and cranny.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh hey. I just unlocked Trickster by talking to some random ghost who didn't say anything about tricksters. Guess I'll give that a shot after I max out sorcerer?

Hopefully my plan for this sphinx riddle clear out the path to run the amphora before I actually do the run is a good one and she's not just trolling me again!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

The majority of combat is very reminiscent of DA:I in its alternation between chip DPS (passive combat) and cooldown-limited spike DPS (active abilities). Because of the way that design works, spending time on anything but attacking and using abilities feels wasted — like in DA:I, things like effective positioning and maneuverability are for the most part governed by active abilities (if they’re offered to your vocation in any meaningful sense beyond charging to the closest enemy).

What you're saying here jumps out at me because I've often taken a moment to reflect on whether or not I'm playing the game correctly, and I do this when I'm literally taking a moment; I play DD2 by spamming abilities and then when my stamina is low I just stand there and I don't use the basic attacks, I just stop moving for a couple seconds then do it again. I pointedly do NOT spend any time with the basic strikes because doing that greatly reduces your stamina regen and my intuition from playing the game is that it's better to just get the bar filled back up ASAP and launch another series of abilities.

In fact, I'd basically say I have three kinds of fights in DD2:

Easy:(oh look, a pack of goblins) a dismissive spam of basic attacks because it's fun, feels good, and nothing else is needed. This works especially well as warrior because the wide horizonal swings of the fast attack will absolutely mulch anything that doesn't have a boss health bar. If I'm an archer or a fighter I might have to spam some straight foward ability, but I'll kill the whole pack before I run out of stamina and this requires absolutely no thought or planning.

Medium (most boss monsters): I'll burn through my stamina spamming abilities and then stand somewhere safe (moving as little as possible because this also slows stamina regen) before doing it again.

Hard (boss monsters that are beating my rear end): As medium except I'll pause and eat stamina roborants so what's actually happening in the game is an unending chain of abilities.

So basically, exactly like you say, I never waste time in basic attacks in any "serious" fight.

EDIT: Oh, also, as warrior my go-to spammed ability also produces "knock down", so I don't even have to do any thinking when I see the enemy stagger. I use knoll-breaker until they fall over, and then I use indomitable slash on their head when they're knocked down.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 31, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Oh hey. I just unlocked Trickster by talking to some random ghost who didn't say anything about tricksters. Guess I'll give that a shot after I max out sorcerer?

Hopefully my plan for this sphinx riddle clear out the path to run the amphora before I actually do the run is a good one and she's not just trolling me again!

The most painless way to do that one, if you wanna know, is to bring the guy to the amphora rather then the other way around.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
I wonder how rough a run where I run straight to the trickster unlock and just play trickster as soon as possible will be. I didn't give trickster a fair try in my first run so I think I'll give that a shot on a fresh save

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
lol, got a spooky sword from a dungeon as part of the main quest and I'm just supposed to hand it over to the winner of The Most Suspicious Man Award? wonder if i can give him a forged version

e: looks like I can't. guess he's on the up and up!

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 31, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any fun builds for mystic spearman because it feels like all I'm doing is spamming basic attack and bubble

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Caidin posted:

The most painless way to do that one, if you wanna know, is to bring the guy to the amphora rather then the other way around.

I felt like a big brain genius when figuring this out but a lot of her stuff is (appropriately) clever phrasing.

Broken Cog posted:

Any fun builds for mystic spearman because it feels like all I'm doing is spamming basic attack and bubble

Definitely try the Home Run God skills if you haven't, also try the teleport

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

Also pressing Y/Heavy Attack when the enemy is staggered is the only additional thing I did when I played as them, so either there's not much else too or I'm just as clueless as you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/yImRd9h.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/FNS5lek.mp4

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

as with as lot of RPGs, the issue with combat mostly comes down to a lack of rate limiting: if you or a pawn can fart out a high hagol at the start of every fight with no restrictions, then almost nothing in the game can challenge you appropriately, and you have little incentive to do anything other than draque-esque "use your strongest moves as much as possible" tactics

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Caidin posted:

Lol that's actually pretty clever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vermain posted:

as with as lot of RPGs, the issue with combat mostly comes down to a lack of rate limiting: if you or a pawn can fart out a high hagol at the start of every fight with no restrictions, then almost nothing in the game can challenge you appropriately, and you have little incentive to do anything other than draque-esque "use your strongest moves as much as possible" tactics

It's great and I love it. I don't want to use my weak skills, I want to use my strong ones. The best fights are the ones where my pawns are blasting magic everywhere and then the ogre I'm fighting's health just disappears when I smash its head in with my big sword, and when I can finally see again there's like three packs of enemies that I never even saw just dead on the ground.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Definitely try the Home Run God skills if you haven't, also try the teleport
Yeah, I've been using the teleport a bit, might try the homerun skills out too, looks fun. Just unlocked some sort of laser, so gonna test that too.

Also

I wonder if they made an unique high affection note for every single npc in the game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I've been using the teleport a bit, might try the homerun skills out too, looks fun. Just unlocked some sort of laser, so gonna test that too.

Also

I wonder if they made an unique high affection note for every single npc in the game

Oh god is that what those are? I only spotted that little thing outside my house last night and basically every NPC I've interacted with had left like, a fish or medicine for me with a note. :shepface: I thought they were just thanks for finishing their quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

In case anyone is trying to find a Dullahan, not sure if this was a fluke but at night I was a bit west of Melve, between it and that first outpost you reach in the game when one spawned near a bridge. It became super obvious something was up because the entire area got foggy and my lantern went out. The trophy you get for killing a Dullahan implies they disappear at dawn so you don't have much time to kill them.

I've got just a few pockets of Battahl left to explore and maybe another side quest or two (others I might leave for a new game file).
I found one east of the V city, south of the Nameless Village. There’s a statue at a high vantage along the river’s edge, basically at the furthest south point. Making yr way up to the summit at night should at least make an encounter possible; idk if boss enemy placement is random or not.