Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Everyone dies in Vietnam, but only Mutt truly lived in Vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Mutt put his dog tags on an already dead American soldier and fled to Thailand.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I rewatched the grand budapest hotel at home. I had a very emotional reaction this viewing, especially towards the end, which kind of snuck up on me. I've always loved the film and consider it wes anderson's masterpiece, but certain choices in blocking and editing awoke a new, profound understanding of themes I didn't pay attention to before, themes I connected to my own life that hit me at the core. there's a very deliberate drawing-attention-to of the artifice of storytelling (obviously, it's wes anderson), but unlike his other films the usage is very specific. scenes end unexpectedly or draw out longer than necessary. plot lines are left conspicuously unresolved or end abruptly with a single line of dialogue. it's like, we the audience are told very explicitly "you are watching a story," even a fairy tale, and then proceeds to intrude upon that tale with the unpredictable cadence of real life. when we get to the narrator's ultimate question, "why did zero keep the hotel?" he answers deliberately, "I kept it for [my wife]. we were happy here... for a little while." this scene is preceded immediately by the scene of their wedding and of his last moments with gustave, in which zero matter-of-factly tells us in narration that his wife, his baby, and his best friend all died off-screen senselessly. like the other 2014 oscar nom'd picture I've rewatched recently, birdman, there is a diagetic awareness of the medium (or at least the medium within the medium), but unlike birdman it's used very sincerely, instead of with sardonic detachment. I think it's used to illustrate how we connect with stories and why we need them, why we need to shape events and people to fit specific molds, when in reality there is very little we can actually control. when zero is saying the grand budapest hotel represents the place where he was happy despite the tragedy in his life, he is really directly talking about the meaning of the film. dunno what possessed me to watch it today but it's an elegant work and I feel a great catharsis today after revisiting it.

anyway I can't wait to consume the next piece of content in the star wars franchise!!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arc Hammer posted:

Mutt died in Vietnam.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

kalel posted:

I rewatched the grand budapest hotel at home. I had a very emotional reaction this viewing, especially towards the end, which kind of snuck up on me. I've always loved the film and consider it wes anderson's masterpiece, but certain choices in blocking and editing awoke a new, profound understanding of themes I didn't pay attention to before, themes I connected to my own life that hit me at the core. there's a very deliberate drawing-attention-to of the artifice of storytelling (obviously, it's wes anderson), but unlike his other films the usage is very specific. scenes end unexpectedly or draw out longer than necessary. plot lines are left conspicuously unresolved or end abruptly with a single line of dialogue. it's like, we the audience are told very explicitly "you are watching a story," even a fairy tale, and then proceeds to intrude upon that tale with the unpredictable cadence of real life. when we get to the narrator's ultimate question, "why did zero keep the hotel?" he answers deliberately, "I kept it for [my wife]. we were happy here... for a little while." this scene is preceded immediately by the scene of their wedding and of his last moments with gustave, in which zero matter-of-factly tells us in narration that his wife, his baby, and his best friend all died off-screen senselessly. like the other 2014 oscar nom'd picture I've rewatched recently, birdman, there is a diagetic awareness of the medium (or at least the medium within the medium), but unlike birdman it's used very sincerely, instead of with sardonic detachment. I think it's used to illustrate how we connect with stories and why we need them, why we need to shape events and people to fit specific molds, when in reality there is very little we can actually control. when zero is saying the grand budapest hotel represents the place where he was happy despite the tragedy in his life, he is really directly talking about the meaning of the film. dunno what possessed me to watch it today but it's an elegant work and I feel a great catharsis today after revisiting it.

anyway I can't wait to consume the next piece of content in the star wars franchise!!

good news buddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-8DT5Q8kzI

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Mutt put his dog tags on an already dead American soldier and fled to Thailand.

Then he became the woman he always wanted to be.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Wes Anderson should have done the Jordon thing and retired after Budapest Hotel.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

colonelwest posted:

Then he became the woman he always wanted to be.

Many such cases.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
grand budapest broke through the invisible wes anderson barrier that makes it so only people who watch wes anderson movies watch wes anderson movies. idk why. I thought it might have been just, like, he'd finally arrived, this was his stankonia if you will, but nope. french dispatch and asteroid city just did regular wes anderson numbers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol at the hedgehog tank traps on the beach to stop Romans from doing Normandy Landings at Syracuse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Congrats on Crystal Skull no longer being the worst Indiana Jones movie. What a giant piece of crap.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it kind of sucks that for the rest of my life there will be an ever-present risk of ai-generated nonsense entering my line of sight

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

That DICK! posted:

Do they have to do it for every movie tho :(

Thank you for your service

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

kalel posted:

it kind of sucks that for the rest of my life there will be an ever-present risk of ai-generated nonsense entering my line of sight

Yeah, the time used on creating the prompts could have been spent in mspaint and the result would have been better, no matter the artistic talent of the creator.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

kalel posted:

Yeah I used to want to live to a ripe old age, not so much anymore!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Road House was OK if you don't compare it in any way to the original.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kalel posted:

The Grand Budapest Hotel is an excellent film, good post.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Road House was OK if you don't compare it in any way to the original.

That's how I felt about the Robocop remake.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah GBH is great, it made me fall in love with Wes Anderson films again after getting a little burned out on his style.

I’ll still be a Life Aquatic man till the day I die though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Outpost22 posted:

That's how I felt about the Robocop remake.

There's like 2 or 3 specific scenes in that robocop movie that are really good and the rest of the movie is either mediocre or bad

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Godzilla X Kong was like an hour & a half of painfully dull bullshit & then a somewhat cool Godzilla/Kong tag team fight. Not worth watching just for that. Watch Godzilla: Minus One instead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
godzilla vs kong is dumb fun while godzilla minus one is an actually good movie

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

sure okay posted:

Andor is bad precisely because its competently made. It has no business being a Star War, but no one was gonna offer Tony Gilroy a budget like Disney was, so we have to settle for the round peg of "a mature sci-fi spy drama" being jammed crudely into the square hole of "the Flash Gordon ripoff IP humanity can't seem to let go of, for some reason."

Market research tells these craven fucks that new IPs wont play in Peoria, and that the hardcore nerds will watch whatever you put in front of them regardless of marketing or quality. This is the direct result of that. Everything must fall under something already existing, and what already exists must be a foundation for every kind of story.

The issues with this are endless but the main ones are tonal whiplash and an impossible to maintain objective cannon. Stuff just starts contradicting itself wildly, and like that other better poster said you got the serious Andor man in the same universe as a cackling Scooby Doo villain emperor and it just all starts to feel as crass as it is.

There's only two ways this nightmare ends and both seem impossible. One is that consumers become more tolerable of new IPs. Asking a dumbfuck mob of billions to be more open minded does indeed seem impossible, but it's actually less impossible than the second option which is Disney leaves money on the table and keeps Star Wars as just the "fun adventure romp for the 14-30 demo" and doesn't keep bankrolling the IP under every possible genre of storytelling ever made.

Makes sense! I don't want to watch it because I don't want to see Star Wars be depressing & would rather watch something else. But at some point everything will eventually be Star Wars, so there's gonna be a lot of Star Wars people describe as gritty, grueling, or a slog, then go on to recommend anyway

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 30, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I just watched Michael Clayton instead of Andor

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i never looked into it but i always assumed michael clayton was like a jason bourne type

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
jesus christ it's michael clayton

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

Wes is my favorite director. Although I can certainly understand why some people might not like his very particular style, I absolutely do not understand people who act as if his movies are devoid of emotion.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

while I'm in the mode of :words:ing about movies, I can't stop thinking about mulholland drive, which I saw a few weeks ago for the first time. I had to physically look away during some scenes because I was so mortally terrified

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

kalel posted:

while I'm in the mode of :words:ing about movies, I can't stop thinking about mulholland drive, which I saw a few weeks ago for the first time. I had to physically look away during some scenes because I was so mortally terrified

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you Kalel, but sometimes two moms love each other just as much as a mom and a dad.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Kingo Ligma posted:

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you Kalel, but sometimes two moms love each other just as much as a mom and a dad.

:lmao:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

mulholland drive is amazing. it really feels like you're watching a movie the whole time

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Vim Fuego posted:

Makes sense! I don't want to watch it because I don't want to see Star Wars be depressing & would rather watch something else. But at some point everything will eventually be Star Wars, so there's gonna be a lot of Star Wars people describe as gritty, grueling, or a slog, then go on to recommend anyway

There’s some of that but it doesn’t do the needless “dark’n’gritty” just for the sake of it that a lot of shows did after GoT. The darkness feels grounded which makes the positives really stand out. I’d honestly say it’s a more uplifting portrayal of leftist groups uniting despite radical differences and infighting, and communities coming together to change their local circumstances than basically anything where the message is “can’t fix anything unless you have magic powers are a nepobaby”.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I don't watch movies to watch movies

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mulholland Drive may be my favorite Lynch movie, but there's also Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Fire Walk With Me and Lost Highway, so who can say, really

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Andor is fine.

I mean, I dunno, I compermentalize the stuff I watch anyway, so something like the original trilogy can co-exist in my head with something more "grounded" as Andor.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Elephant Man is the only Lynch movie I’ve seen and is therefore my favorite and least favorite Lynch movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mulholland Drive is about the fantasy of a girlfriend who will dress up like you without acting like it’s weird that you asked.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

TuxedoOrca posted:

Andor is fine.

I mean, I dunno, I compermentalize the stuff I watch anyway, so something like the original trilogy can co-exist in my head with something more "grounded" as Andor.

stop it. it's all one universe. it's all palpatine's doin'

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

stop it. it's all one universe. it's all palpatine's doin'

Somehow, he returned and did it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Endless Trash posted:

The Elephant Man is the only Lynch movie I’ve seen and is therefore my favorite and least favorite Lynch movie

Have you considered watching more?